First Batch Of Women Fighter Pilots To Be Inducted In June

PARIKRAMA

Reaction score
Country
India
All India | Press Trust of India | Updated: March 08, 2016 13:18 IST

air-chief-marshal-arup-raha_650x400_51457423264.jpg

Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha said three women trainee officers have volunteered to be inducted in the combat role.

NEW DELHI: The first batch of women fighter pilots, comprising three cadets, will be inducted in the Indian Air Force on June 18.

Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha said three women trainee officers have volunteered to be inducted in the combat role.

"We inducted women as pilots in 1991, but on only helicopter and transport (planes). I must thank the Defence Minister for having approved the IAF's proposal to induct women as fighter pilots. Very soon...on June 18, the Air Force will get women fighter pilots," he said.

"As of now three women trainees have volunteered to join the fighter stream. They are under the second phase of their training. Once they complete their training...they are on par with their male colleagues and the passing out parade is scheduled on June 18," Mr Raha said.

He was speaking at a seminar on 'Women in Armed Medical Corps' organised to mark International Women's Day in Delhi, which was also attended by Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar.

The Defence Ministry had cleared the proposal of inducting women as fighter pilots in October last year.

Mr Parrikar also lauded Mr Raha's insistence to push forward the proposal to induct women as fighter pilots in the Indian Air Force.

"Though I approved and support the proposal, it was he who was consistently pushing the file to the MoD (Ministry of Defence) level.

"I congratulate you for initiating the seminar which will go a long way in deciding the role of women in uniform and not only in the Armed Medical Corps," Mr Parrikar said.

Story First Published:March 08, 2016 13:18 IST

@Abingdonboy @anant_s @Ankit Kumar @cerberus @ranjeet @knight11 @nair

A big day for all women of our country...

@Levina :
Time to send in your application !!! Rafales will wait for you when you pass out.. :super::nhl_checking:

Glad!!! :)
Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha said three women trainee officers have volunteered to be inducted in the combat role

The irony of it is...that this is the same man who had once declared "women pilots are not suited for combat role".

"Though I approved and support the proposal, it was he who was consistently pushing the file to the MoD (Ministry of Defence) level.
And the defence minister's attempt to save Arup Raha has failed miserably.

@Levina :
Time to send in your application !!! Rafales will wait for you when you pass out
lol
1) Age limit(18-25)
2) I was interested in joining Army(not Air Force) since my father was an army officer too.
3) i hate aeroplanes. I wish I could travel to India via road. :(

Just curious!!!
Did you post this thread only to make up for your blunder in Indira Gandhi's thread?? :P

Last edited:
Glad!!! :)

The irony of it is...that this is the same man who had once declared "women pilots are not suited for combat role".

And the defence minister's attempt to save Arup Raha has failed miserably.

lol
1) Over age
2) I was interested in joining Army(not Air Force) since my father was an army officer too.
3) i hate aeroplanes. I wish I could travel to India via road. :(

Just curious!!!
Did you post this thread only to make up for your blunder in Indira Gandhi's thread?? :P

U hate flying coz u murdered Mitthoo .

Poor soul haunts u up there :mad:

Just curious!!!

Lol No way.. But i thought you got irritated..with this expression :pissed: in your face.. I am not a anti feminist lol.. I did nt put Nehru bcz of even bigger controversies as i do have some banned books depicting his "other" lives.. Anyway Indira Part was a small portion.. not too much dwell into it. i wont put more in future parts surely.. plomich...

U hate flying coz u murdered Mitthoo .

Poor soul haunts u up there :mad:
Arrrgghhh
Will you let him rest in peace???

I am serious. I am sure there many like me who have Aviophobia.
Hats off to these girls who will be flying the mean machines. :)

plomich...
for a second, I was tempted to google this word. Lol

All India | Press Trust of India | Updated: March 08, 2016 13:18 IST

air-chief-marshal-arup-raha_650x400_51457423264.jpg

NEW DELHI: The first batch of women fighter pilots, comprising three cadets, will be inducted in the Indian Air Force on June 18.

"We inducted women as pilots in 1991, but on only helicopter and transport (planes). I must thank the Defence Minister for having approved the IAF's proposal to induct women as fighter pilots. Very soon...on June 18, the Air Force will get women fighter pilots," he said.

"As of now three women trainees have volunteered to join the fighter stream. They are under the second phase of their training. Once they complete their training...they are on par with their male colleagues and the passing out parade is scheduled on June 18," Mr Raha said.

He was speaking at a seminar on 'Women in Armed Medical Corps' organised to mark International Women's Day in Delhi, which was also attended by Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar.

The Defence Ministry had cleared the proposal of inducting women as fighter pilots in October last year.

Mr Parrikar also lauded Mr Raha's insistence to push forward the proposal to induct women as fighter pilots in the Indian Air Force.

"I congratulate you for initiating the seminar which will go a long way in deciding the role of women in uniform and not only in the Armed Medical Corps," Mr Parrikar said.

Story First Published:March 08, 2016 13:18 IST

@Abingdonboy @anant_s @Ankit Kumar @cerberus @ranjeet @knight11 @nair

A big day for all women of our country...

@Levina :
Time to send in your application !!! Rafales will wait for you when you pass out.. :super::nhl_checking:

Actually I am not pro "Women in active combat role ". Imagine situations where if an IAF pilot uses the Martin Bakers and land in hostile territory .... and that officer is not a male but a female.

You see I don't want to even talk further on what can happen.

This can have huge impact on morale of not only our armed forces but our nation too.

And it could even lead us to make decisions which we would have otherwise not made.

Women should be trained , i have no problem with that.... but they shouldn't be drafted into active combat duty.

At best keep them in reserve or replace the male instructors of IAFs training regime with women who have completed their full courses.

You see when we speak of " India and Females " in one line..... normally its very big for our armed forces and the simple tax payer of India.

Actually I am not pro "Women in active combat role ". Imagine situations where if an IAF pilot uses the Martin Bakers and land in hostile territory .... and that officer is not a male but a female
Let the women decide if they find such situations perilous or not.
When a female chooses such a career she knows what's at stake.

Actually I am not pro "Women in active combat role ". Imagine situations where if an IAF pilot uses the Martin Bakers and land in hostile territory .... and that officer is not a male but a female.

You see I don't want to even talk further on what can happen.

This can have huge impact on morale of not only our armed forces but our nation too.

And it could even lead us to make decisions which we would have otherwise not made.

Women should be trained , i have no problem with that.... but they shouldn't be drafted into active combat duty.

At best keep them in reserve or replace the male instructors of IAFs training regime with women who have completed their full courses.

You see when we speak of " India and Females " in one line..... normally its very big for our armed forces and the simple tax payer of India.

A woman in active duty in army, air force or in navy - once they are a POW, they are fully aware of the horrific treatment they may receive.. They know the risks and accept that risk to still serve the nation.. We should also respect that feeling.. By not giving them active duty in fore front but keeping them say in tactical aviation, we are not respecting their desire to serve the nation whole heartedly.

True the risks are many and are known, so they are trained for such hostile situations..

Anyways its a glass ceiling already and acceptability of them as part of unit will take time.. If we consider them as burdens and have fear of POW situation, we are only going to make it even more worse..We have to treat them as our fellow compatriot and we should know that the risk of say a POW situation to us and to her is same..

We have to understand also Women are in active police duty and are fighting known criminals, terrorists, under world everything.. They also can do such acts.. But then also we have given them the uniform and active service.. The risks there also are known..

So we have to amalgamate them in all forces.. Of course this discussion and debate will continue for many years.. But still we should integrate them in active jet duty and take it forward step by step

Let the women decide if they find such situations perilous or not.
When a female chooses such a career she knows what's at stake.

The problem here is that the Government and the Armed forces will be held responsible and pressurised for any untoward incident.
And given the appeasement type democracy of India we will very likely end up with wrong decisions

And wrong decisions in a war is ......

PS:- I do not support females in combat doesn't mean I doubt their capability. They are physically and mentally as capable to perform any task as men are and sometimes even better.

A woman in active duty in army, air force or in navy - once they are a POW, they are fully aware of the horrific treatment they may receivstateey know the risks and accept that risk to still serve the nation.. We should also respect that feeling.. By not giving them active duty in fore front but keeping them say in tactical aviation, we are not respecting their desire to serve the nation whole heartedly.

True the risks are many and are known, so they are trained for such hostile situations..

Anyways its a glass ceiling already and acceptability of them as part of unit will take time.. If we consider them as burdens and have fear of POW situation, we are only going to make it even more worse..We have to treat them as our fellow compatriot and we should know that the risk of say a POW situation to us and to her is same..

We have to understand also Women are in active police duty and are fighting known criminals, terrorists, under world everything.. They also can do such acts.. But then also we have given them the uniform and active service.. The risks there also are known..

So we have to amalgamate them in all forces.. Of course this discussion and debate will continue for many years.. But still we should integrate them in active jet duty and take it forward step by step

POW is not my concern, POW under monsters is a problem.

My concern still lies there and some of it is reflected in present situations too. We have women enlisted in various central and state, forces which fight insurgency in Jharkhand.

Some are deployed in combat zones but as support, like activities like supporting female villagers, medics , conducting demining operations and even as support staff to repair and keep the little vehicles and MRAPs we have.

But not in frontline duty combating naxals.

Yes step by step is the way forward.
For now I think the correct way was to allow females in everything except frontline infantry divisions. / combat squadrons / Destroyer squadrons.

Females in Navy should have been the first step. That's relatively safe......

But yes the debate is long.
I don't mean by any word to count the female ability any less.

The problem here is that the Government and the Armed forces will be held responsible and pressurised for any untoward incident.
And given the appeasement type democracy of India we will very likely end up with wrong decisions

And wrong decisions in a war is ......
In short, government and armed forces should not take any risks.
Have I read it right?

Whats the story of Mitthoo? levina murdered mitthoo :o:

Yes mitthoo was mudered.

Murdered in cold blood.

When he should have died , warm in his cage.

:cray:

Uff !! Its really hard to put that horrifying story in words.

@Levina D D G in her craving for " practical jokes " left that poor soul in open to freez to death.

Poor mittho wanted to have a life on rocks little did he know he will end up a frozen rock himself.

In short, government and armed forces should not take any risks.
Have I read it right?
I don't think that what I wrote can be compounded in few words. This essentially changes the meaning. This is an emotional national issue, and yes in ideal situation for women's equality it should be done.

But our likely battlefields are far from ideal.

Back
Top Bottom