What's new

Finally Al-Khalid I is here

Adios Amigo

ADVISORS
Reaction score
Dear fellows! Back in 2008, XYON and Bezerk, Our Tank Gurus on PDF broke the news that Al-Khalid I was near its completion, and they even brought out the Images of AK-I prototype directly from HIT. here are those pictures to refresh your memories,

Apparently there are a few modifications in the exterior of the tank, such as side skirts etc etc. But internally a lot of improvements have been made and there is a marked difference between Al-Khalid and Al-Khalid I. Bare in mind all the current Al-Khalid will go through AK-I upgrades.

The tank shown here is yet to be painted and covered with ERA kits & a other few vital combat systems

According to XYON,"It is equipped with a more powerful Ukrainian 1200HP engine and a few other gimmicks such as the IBMS, dual DNVS, most likely an LTS, etc etc. Initially it was planned to display the AK-I at the IDEAS 2008 but later it was dropped".

On February 24, 2010, General Tariq Majeed CJCSC, Visited Heavy Industries Texila(HIT). The video released shows Al-Khalid I in action for the first time, Fully painted and in ready to be delivered form. From 0.42- 0.52 Al-Khalid-I is shown in action, enjoy:tup:

Last edited by a moderator:
So whats the difference between the Al-Khalid, Al-Khalid I, and Al-Khalid II?

How many of each tank do we currently have in the Pak-Army that are in service?

AK-I Prototype is ready for quite sometime at HIT for Army Test & Trials.

However & owing to the severe financial crunch in Pakistan, Army does not currently have the requisite funds to initiate the process of having AK-I tried, tested and inducted in ranks.

So we patiently wait........

So whats the difference between the Al-Khalid, Al-Khalid I, and Al-Khalid II?

How many of each tank do we currently have in the Pak-Army that are in service?

Al-Khalid II is totally a different program, a new tank which is believed to be completed by 2019, further it is believed that it would be a 50 tone class tank. Not much and concrete details are present about AK-II, but the program do surely exist. AK-I is the upgraded version of Al-Khalid not much difference in its appearance from the current Al-Khalid, but a lot of improvements have been made internally, hope some buddy can elaborate that. All the current Al-Khalid will be upgraded to AK-I standards.

So far only Al-Khalid has been inducted in Pakistan Army, where as Al-Khalid I is knocking on the door. The above pictures and video are of AK-I try compering them with the previous pictures of Al-Khalid and notice the difference.I am sure you will find a quite few!

:pakistan:

Adios

~320 AK's are in service with the PA - due to funds allocation, small batch orders are placed on HIT, 50/year.

add the 320 Ukranian tanks and this comprises the main MBT force as of now.

the final requirement for AK's is 1200 tanks.!

What is the total number of tanks in our inventory?

Can somebody enlighten us please? whatever news/figures we have on different defence forums has not been updated since past many years now

This is what USMAN ANSARI, has to say about Al-Khalid I, "
Development is ongoing of the Al-Khalid II, (though the project name is actually 'Al-Khalid I'), which is targeted for production by 2008. It is unknown if there is to be any major change in the appearance of the tank. Key areas for improvement are said to be in the areas of armour protection by inclusion of more modern types of armour, and improved systems. This includes more efficient transmission system and modern night vision systems. A new electronic counter-measures fit is currently undergoing testing at HIT. Recently the possibility has arisen of using Ukraine's 6TD3 engine which generates 1500 hp though it remains to be seen if this shall be incorporated. Firepower is also to be upgraded if ongoing discussions for the Ukrainian 'Kombat' ATGM are successful. With a range of up to 5,000m it would give the Al-Khalid a useful reach against targets such as helicopters. Furthermore, an up-graded auto loader would enable the use of 'long-rod' ammunition as used by Western MBTs, as the Russian style unit cannot currently support them."

Here is another Interesting read, But a Reminder AK-II here means AK-I

"Pakistan’s Al Khalid Tank is widely being considered one of the most competent Main Battle Tanks (MBTs) in the global arms market. The Al Khalid II is said to have a new armor that has been tested to defeat all known 120mm and 125mm rounds. This special armour is a major technological breakthrough for Pakistan. The tank has received a new transmission and revised electronic turret control.
This was stated by Syed Muhammad Ali, the first certified military concept tank designer of Pakistan, while talking to The Nation.
He said that the Al Khalid II has a new Integrated Battle Management System (IBMS) and active threat-protection system, the latter being an upgrade from the passive system in the earlier model.
The tank is now perhaps the most heavily weaponized per tonnage of any tank, being able to carry 49 125mm rounds, 1,500 12.7mm and 7,100 7.62mm rounds."

(courtesy HJ and BATMAN)

What is the name of the vehicle from 0.56 to 0.57 in that video?

Usman Shabbir from PakDef said that the Al Khalid-2 could have an arrow-shaped turret like the ZTZ-99, as well as 1500hp diesel engine.

What is the name of the vehicle from 0.56 to 0.57 in that video?

Webby! don't know about the name of it but is strikingly similar to Israeli Armored Vehicle, the "Wild Cat".

259695234377169e8445oll4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
~320 AK's are in service with the PA - due to funds allocation, small batch orders are placed on HIT, 50/year.

add the 320 Ukranian tanks and this comprises the main MBT force as of now.

the final requirement for AK's is 1200 tanks.!

Can anyone tell me how many armoured divisions pakistan posseses,and their composition ,i mean the breakup of a pak armoured div.like how many brigades.and how many regiments in each brigade and the composition of a regiment ,that the number of tanks.and the support elemnts.
Does the mechanized divisions also have tanks?like in us army they have 2 tank battalions and a icv battalion in a tank regiment,whereas 2 icv and 1 tank battalion in the mechanized regiments.
help if u can please,especially knowledgeble members.
I was comparing the wehrmacht panzer division ,the us and british systems and the russians and its really intriguing to see the differences which clearly illustrate the doctrine and thought process.

I think sub continental commanders are not so good understanders of armour tactics as seen in 71 and 65 and are still plagued by the residual british armoured thinking,rather than the tactics germans eveolved and the world accepted.Thnx in advance.:pop:

Back
Top Bottom