What's new

Field Marshal Manekshaw remembered

angeldemon_007

Reaction score
Shillong, June 27 (PTI) Marking the third death anniversary of Field Marshal S H F J Manekshaw, a solemn wreath laying ceremony was held at the Sam Bahadur Memorial located at 58 Gorkha Training Centre here.GoC of 101 Area Lt Gen V K Narula and other senior Army officers laid wreaths at the memorial to pay tribute to the great soldier.A blood donation camp was also organised at the army unit to commemorate the occasion.Field Marshal Manekshaw had served the country during five wars and became the first Field Marshal of the Indian Army in 1973.His long military career was studded with achievements including the successful campaign of the Indo-Pak War of 1971 that led to the creation of Bangladesh.Affectionately called 'Sam Bahadur', Manekshaw had breathed his last at the Military Hospital in Wellington, Tamil Nadu on 27 June 2008 at the age of 94.

Field Marshal Manekshaw remembered, IBN Live News

---------- Post added at 06:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 AM ----------

Last edited by a moderator:
Just came across this on the net, not sure of its source.

Worth a read.

Antony to make amends, gives legendary Sam his due Today at a special ceremony at the Zoroastrian Parsi Cemetary at Ootacamund, Nilgiris, India’s first Field Marshal and one who bestowed on the country its first military victory in a thousand years, Sam Hormusji Framji Jamshedji Manekshaw, will be commemorated by laying his gravestone next to that of his wife, Siloo. Rectifying the grave error of not according appropriate protocol on June 27, 2008, when Field Marshal Manekshaw died at Wellington Military Hospital, this time Defence Minister AK Antony will be present.

Also attending the wreath-laying ceremony are Chief of Army Staff General VK Singh; Army chief designate Lt-Gen Bikram Singh; VCOAS Lt-Gen SK Singh; president of the Gorkha Brigade and from Sam’s own 8 Gorkha Rifles, and officers of the other two services. “This is a very private occasion but the Army has been kind to help us with the military ceremonial which my father always relished,” said Maja Daruwalla, younger daughter of Sam and Siloo. Sam’s gravestone bears the inscription: “It is a Life Well Lived” with Siloo’s reading “Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds”.

The combined inscriptions encapsulate their lives —well lived and spreading goodwill. The Government was very niggardly in recognising Sam’s unprecedented achievements: Stemming the rot in 4 Corps after the catastrophic debacle in the high Himalayas, Sam saying: “Gentlemen, there will be no more withdrawals”; deterring the Chinese in Eastern Command during the 1965 war; and comprehensively defeating the Pakistan Army in East Pakistan in 1971.

But for Mrs Indira Gandhi, Sam would not have been made a Field Marshal in 1973 as Defence Minister Jagjivan Ram and the bureaucracy had opposed it. At the time, the Army had suggested that the Field Marshal’s appointment should be equated with Bharat Ratna. But this was turned down. Mrs Gandhi promised to make him the Chief of Defence Staff, but the offer evaporated mysteriously. He was sent home unsung, officers being forbidden to see him off in the special train from Delhi to Coimbatore. The Government’s loss was the corporate world’s gain.

He was on the board of a dozen private companies like Britannia, Bombay Burma, Harrison Malyalam, Nagarjuna Fertilisers and the Oberoi Group. A charismatic personality and gift of the gab made the Field Marshal Sam Bahadur to his Gorkhas who were with him all the time that he lived and died in Coonoor. He won his Military Cross in the Battle of Sittang in 1942 — so spectacular was his action that GoC 17 Infantry Division Maj Gen Punch Cowan, thinking his wounds were fatal, pinned his own MC on Sam’s chest. He was awarded Padma Bhushan in 1968 and after 1971, Padma Vibhushan. The Padma series of awards for the military was soon stopped on the advice of the bureaucracy.

His lectures on leadership are stuff of legend and laced with illustrations from his career and peppered with humour. My favourites are: “My trouble is, I have too much energy and I don’t know what to do with it. I keep thanking the almighty for making a man out of me and not a woman. If I’d been a woman, since I cannot say no, I would have always been in trouble. I’d either be in the maternity home or on the pill.” The other: “Whoever says he knows no fear is either lying or a Gorkha.” Two years from now, Sam would have turned 100. The Government must make him a Bharat Ratna as no one deserves it more than he — with a life well lived.

Salute to you sir for giving Independent India's finest Military victory.

There is now a 9 ft tall bronze statue of him near Souther Command CSD canteen in Camp. Whenever I drive past, I slow the car down and snap off a salute.

Truly an Indian legend.

Sam Bahadur, a modern Indian Military Legend! A razor sharp mind supported by an incisive tongue too (as those who encountered it will attest to) but never lacking in understanding and compassion for his men. Unfazed in the face of combat (check his citation for MC) he remained unrelenting in the face of professional adversity (when colleagues and political bosses conspired against him). There is a poetic justice in the way that Indira Gandhi worked with him after her father feebly accepted the "witch-hunt" against Sam set up by Nehru's dubious acolytes. I personally really relish that. But Sam's destiny could not be undone by mere mice and middling men. His qualities as Man and Leader were too sterling to be smothered. Unfortunately that always unsettled the insecure around him. So they ended up sniping behind him or after him (as we see one retd. Lt.Gen. spouting off now and then). Sam must be up there (in the big Regimental "Barakhana" yonder) with his men having a big drink and a bigger laugh.

I alway believe that Sam Bahadur thought: I am what I am, so why give a $hit.

Sam Bahadur: from a fellow Indian, a salute. I was lucky to see you in flesh and blood and walk Planet Earth while you did.

an excerpt from above article...

There is a very thin line between becoming a Field Marshal and being dismissed. A very angry prime minister read out messages from chief ministers of West Bengal, Assam and Tripura. All of them saying that hundreds and thousands of refugees had poured into their states and they did not know what to do .

So the Prime Minister turned round to me and said,

“I want you to do something.”

I said, “What do you want me to do?”

She said, “I want you to enter East Pakistan.”

I said, “ Do you know that that means war?”

She said, “I do not mind it is war.”

I, in my usual stupid way said, “Prime Minister, have you read the Bible?” and the Foreign Minister, Sardar Swaran Singh in his Punjabi accent said, “What has Bible got to do with this?”, and I said, “The first book, the first chapter, the first paragraph, the first sentence, God said, “let there be light” and there was light. You turn this round and say “let there be war and there will be war. What do you think? Are you ready for a war ? Let me tell you— it’s the 28th of April, the Himalayan passes are opening now, and if the Chinese give us an ultimatum I will have to fight on two fronts.”

Again, Sardar Swaran Singh turned round and in his Punjabi English said, “Will China give ultimatum?” I said, “You are the foreign minister. You tell me.”Then I turned to the prime minister and said, “Prime Minister, last year you wanted elections in West Bengal and you did not want the Communists to win, so you asked me to deploy my soldiers in penny pockets in every village, in every little township in West Bengal. I have two divisions thus deployed in sections and platoons without their heavy weapons. It will take me at least a month to get them back to their units and to their formations.

Further, I have a division in the Assam area, another division in Andhra Pradesh and the Armoured division in the Jhansi–Babina area. It will take me at least a month to get them back and put them in their correct positions. I will require every road, every railway train, every truck, every wagon to move them. We are harvesting in the Punjab, and we are harvesting in Haryana, we are also harvesting in Uttar Pradesh. And you will not be able to move your harvest.”

I turned to the agriculture Minister, Mr Fakruddin Ali Ahmed, “If there is a famine in the country afterwards, it will be you to blame, not me.” Then I said, “My armoured division has only got thirteen tanks which are functioning.” The finance minister, Mr Chavan, a friend of mine, said, “Sam, why only thirteen?” “Because you are the Finance Minister. I have been asking for money for the last year and a half, and you keep saying there is no money. That is why.”

Then I turned to the Prime Minister and said, “Prime Minister, it is the end of April. But the time I am ready to operate the monsoon will have broken in the East Pakistan area. When it rains, it does not just rain, it pours. Rivers become like oceans. If you stand on one bank, you can not see the other and the whole countryside is flooded. My movements will be confined to roads, the Air Force will not be able to support me and, if you wish me to enter East Pakistan, I guarantee you a hundred percent defeat.”

“You are the government”, I said turning to the Prime Minister, “Now will you give me your orders?”

Ladies and Gentlemen, I have seldom seen a woman so angry, and I am including my wife in that. She was red in the face and I said, “Let us see what happens.” She turned round and said, “The cabinet will meet this evening at four o’ clock.” Everybody walked out. I being the junior-most man was the last to leave.

As I was leaving, she said, “Chief, please will you stay behind?” I looked at her. I said, “Prime Minister, before you open your mouth, would you like me to sent in my resignation on grounds of health, mental or physical?” “No. Sit down, Sam. Was everything you told me the truth?” “Yes. It is my job to tell you the truth. It is my job to fight and win, not to lose.”

She smiled at me and said me, “All right, Sam. You know what I want. When will you be ready?”

“I can not tell you now, Prime Minister”, I said,

“But let me guarantee you this that, if you leave me alone, allow me to plan, make my agreements, and fix a date, I guarantee you a hundred percent victory.”

So there is a very thin line between becoming a field marshal and being dismissed. Just an example of moral courage. Now, those of you who remember what happened in 1962, when the Chinese occupied the Thag-la ridge and Mr Nehru, the prime minister, sent for the army chief, in the month of December and said, “I want you to throw the Chinese out.” That Army Chief did not have the moral courage to stand up to him and say, “I am not ready, my troops are acclimatised, I haven’t the ammunition, or indeed anything.” But he accepted the Prime Minister’s instructions, with the results that the Army was beaten and the country humiliated.

This takes me to the next attribute: physical courage. Fear, like hunger and sex, is a natural phenomenon. Any man who says he is not frightened is a liar or a Gorkha. It is one thing to be frightened. It is another to show fear

We need such man in our politics. Nerves of steel and as intrepid on the face of danger.

1.During the 1971 War we had come in contact with many IA officers. IA Chief Manekshaw, C-inC Arora and Kilo Force Commander Sabegh Sigh were closest. All were fine officers, thorough gentlemen and treated us with professional respect.

2.The other one Uban Singh (whose son a Lieut Gen came to receive an award on his behalf), was involved in raising a political militia counter to and unknown to Tajuddin or Osmani. Later this militia became the base from which was Uban Singh had built the much hated JRB (Jatyo Rakhshi Bahini). In fact Uban had been the undeclared Chief Secretary of the BD Govt of Sheikh. Major policies were dictated by him. Uban is a much controversial figure in BD - since I do not want to use the word "hated" to describe this Sikh Maj Gen.

Back
Top Bottom