What's new

Famous People Born in Bangladesh

Singer Runa Laila who sang the legendary evergreen song Dama dam mast qalandar.

She sounds much better than the Pakistani singer Noorjehan in this song.

She is perhaps the most famous living legend from Bangladesh instantly recognized in the subcontinent and everywhere else in the world.

There is this some 10-15 year old video on youtube when she appeared on Sa re ga ma - a very popular indian tv program on Zee TV in those days, ............. filmed in London and she sang a song in Bengali when asked to render her most memorable and cherished composition.

Its surprising that Runa Laila can't write or read Bangla at all but she is a legendary Bangladeshi singer! She can only speak Bangla.

runa-laila-21.jpg

so he was born in east pakistan in 1950,and then moved to kolkata?? :what:

Even I didn't know that. But still am not sure as different articles have different info. But even moving from E.P to India is feasible.

haradhon-jan5.jpg

Haradhan Badopadhyay, Kushtia District

20khanspan.jpg

Ali Akbar Khan, Comilla

Its surprising that Runa Laila can't write or read Bangla at all but she is a legendary Bangladeshi singer! She can only speak Bangla.

runa-laila-21.jpg

Never knew that she cannot read or write Bangla but she can speak and sing very well in Hindi. She rendered some very beautiful songs in Hindi movies in the 1970s but then left because of her own personal reason. She is known for her Hindi songs throughout India but when I heard her sing Dama dam mast qalandar on youtube, she just blew me away. I also heard the same song by many others like Noor Jehan on youtube in different musical recordings but Runa Laila sounded better than Noor Jehan to me. I understand very little Bangla so cannot say much about her songs in Bangla.

She often comes to India to judge various singing competitions, the most recent was Sur Kshetra in 2012 where she spoke fluent Hindi in a very sweet manner.

allauddin.jpg

Allauddin Khan, Brahmanbaria District

index_10.jpg

Debabrata Biswas, Barisal

sagar-sen.jpg

Sagar Sen, Faridpur

200px-Nazrul.jpg

Kazi Nazrul, Born in India, Died in Bangladesh

Never knew that she cannot read or write Bangla but she can speak and sing very well in Hindi. She rendered some very beautiful songs in Hindi movies in the 1970s but then left because of her own personal reason. She is known for her Hindi songs throughout India but when I heard her sing Dama dam mast qalandar on youtube, she just blew me away. I also heard the same song by many others like Noor Jehan on youtube in different musical recordings but Runa Laila sounded better than Noor Jehan to me. I understand very little Bangla so cannot say much about her songs in Bangla.

She often comes to India to judge various singing competitions, the most recent was Sur Kshetra in 2012 where she spoke fluent Hindi in a very sweet manner.

She and Sabina Yasmin, another legendary Bangladeshi singer were once arch-rivals in playback singing in Bangla films. Runa and Sabina still regularly sings for Bangla films.

Runa Laila's most popular Bangla song is Shilpi Ami Tomaderee Gaan Shunabo.

In this video she just lip syncs the song.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom