What's new

Eyewitness: The Transformation of China Through An American's Eyes

Logam42

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
AN: Saw this interesting post from Quora. I think you Chinese PDF netizens will like it :-)

Mo Chen
, lives in China (1989-present)
Updated May 27

Does China prevent visitors from seeing its bad parts?

I still remember an Engineer from Georgia, US. His name was Larry. He was the senior engineer of a group of Americans, and he’s got a dashing spangled banner & American Eagle Safety helmet, and was cheerful all the time.

Larry was in China, 2013 winter, and I have worked as his team’s translator.

Larry was also in China in 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s. Working as foreign engineers / advisors. He’d been in China for 5 times.

He knew China better than I do, because I was only born in 1989. It’s interesting for me to hear what he had to say about China. These things, I didn’t even know before.

China, 1980s.

Larry was in a major port city in the north east China. Was it Dalian or Qingdao I didn’t remember clearly. Larry said, China was quite an oppressive state back then.

He and a bunch of Engineers from America and France, lived in a specialized hotel. When they arrived, they were surprised: It looked like the hotel was under construction! Scaffolding and safety nets encased the entire building, but there were no one working on it, as if it was deserted, and half way done.

But as these guys entered it, they were amazed and found, no, it was actually a full on functional hotel, 2 or 3 stars, with English speaking service staffs and managers. Electricity, running hot water, clean sheets, bathtub, soap, TV, air con… Everything. It was not luxurious, but it was clean and neat.

A Chinese CPC member, as their translator and guide, checked in, too. Larry remembered him as a friendly type, speaks some English, but quite serious and taciturn man. They knew that he was actually something like a “political supervisor”.

This Chinese CPC member, also served another function. Everyday, he would go to each foreigner, and ask if they need anything from what he called, “the outside”. Medicine, food, steaks, souvenir, shirts, socks, underwear, shampoo, fan, etc. He would write a list, and then go out and get those things for these Americans and French.

At first, they were befuddled and grateful. Why would he be so kind and run such errand for them? But soon they realized: it’s only because they cannot leave the hotel. Not even the the hotel door.

And they soon realized that the hotel was not at all under construction, it was deliberately built like this so local Chinese people won’t notice these westerners lived like kings (I know it’s a only 3 star hotel, but in comparison… they do live like kings).

Everyday morning, Larry and his colleagues, and the Chinese political supervisor would get on a bus. It was an ordinary bus, with the noticeable modification of duct-taped side and rear windscreens. They could barely see anything outside. They rode the bus to docks, they do their job, which is providing engineering advise to the Chinese engineers and constructors, with the Chinese political supervisor standing not far, keeping eye on them without even blinking.

When the day was over, Larry and his colleagues, and the Chinese political supervisor would get on the same duct-taped bus, and back to the same cocooned hotel.

Day after day, until the project was finished.

Larry didn’t get to see what China was like in the 1980s. He never even had the chance to talked to a Chinese local person. He was basically muffed, blind-folded, and ear-plugged.

Larry did not feel good about China.

main-qimg-20f17b12f33d7a5a46a8b1217c4330d8

More Pictures about Qingdao 1980.

http://arc.dailyqd.com/2016-03/2...

China, 1990s.

Larry came again for Engineering Advisory. China had changed.

There was no political advisor anymore, and there was no duct-taped bus to pick him up. The Chinese company who invited him sent people to pick him up in taxi.

Larry could freely browse China this time.

Larry was amazed by the number of buildings under construction in China at that time, and the fact there were so much more cars on the street than the last he came.

He was no longer confined in a small hotel, he could go outside. He made friends with a lot of Chinese university students. They rode bikes to the country side on the weekends, and they had picnic.

He could go on the market, haggle with the locals with gestures and head shakes. He enjoyed it so much.

He was invited to an officials’ house for parties as a guest. They had fun, and while a Chinese woman asked him what has he learned in Chinese, he said: “Ni Hao” and “Chi guo le ma” and “pian yi dian” and all the people laughed;

But then he said “wo ai ni” (I love you), the house silenced. The Chinese woman whispered to Larry: “You shouldn’t say that outside…”

Soon, Larry learned that China was in a Crackdown on crimes.

Girls flirted with westerners, jail.

Guys harassed girls, jail.

Guys entering the wrong bathroom, jail.

People wore blue jeans and went disco dancing, 15 day retention.

Rapists, robbers, murderers, drug dealers lined up and publicly executed in local stadium.

My mom and dad’s generation call this period “Yan Da” (Strict Crackdown). I didn’t even know about this.

Larry learned that, if he says “wo ai ni” to any Chinese girl, he would be deported and the girl would be in jail.

main-qimg-c9c4e5bcd5f2485be65895c1eaac6edb

Street view in Guangzhou, China. 1990s.

http://gd.qq.com/a/20140916/0222...

main-qimg-62755232d114bc4d216ce3d55969a912

The Banner says, “Public Conviction Convention”.

Left: “Maintain society stability comprehensively”.

Right: “Apply strict crackdown struggle deeply”.

These people are robbers, rapists, arsonists, drug dealers, some are petty law breakers such as theft, who have had impulsive fighting, or even just had consentual sex with too many people. They were not necessarily executed, but most of them are given harsh panelties such as decades in Jail.

严打1996

China, 2000s.

Larry came again for work. But this time, he couldn’t believe his eyes.

Skyscrapers, Mercedes Benz and BMW on the street, metro, smart phones, everything. People walking around, having fun, dressing as they please, no one batting an eye at Larry just because he was a foreigner.

He had no idea what happened in that decade, but EVERYTHING has changed. Everybody looked well dressed, well fed, and healthy. More and more of the locals speak English.

Security was no longer a major issue, the crackdown had worked, and ceased.

main-qimg-8c48405313535f57d29a4594bbf7f59e

Dalian City view, China, 2005

http://83062560.blog.163.com/blo...

China, 2010s.

New Industrial parks sprouted in China, everywhere. China is even starting to talk about reducing the excessive production capability, and move towards less polluting and high value industries.

He looked out of his bus, and saw the gigantic gate cranes in the deep water docks busy loading the frigates with thousands if not tens of thousands of containers, and ship the goods to the globe.

The CCP translator/errand guy/political supervisor, is gone. He can go anywhere and talk to anyone. He had me as his translator, a man who had been to Virginia for college and spoke good enough English to not only does the job, but could also have a laugh with him.

The 3 star camouflaged hotel, is gone. He and his American colleagues lived in the Intercontinental Hotel in downtown city, where they can enjoy the night market, roam about, and enjoy some after hour shots in the bars.

Larry smiled and couldn’t stop talking to me about how fast China had changed, and how would China surprise him on his next visit.

Larry told me: “Every time I visit China, it’s like entering another century, Everything is just changing so fast.”

main-qimg-14291fc9f9576f257e494b5f4a9cd173

Crane manufactured in Nantong Port, being exported to Russia. 2016.

南通中远重工起重机远赴俄罗斯_产品快讯_工程机械在线

main-qimg-c1f3ef5f9e9feb5915c7c51285aa3fb6

Majestic view of Chongqing City. Taken 2018.

main-qimg-285e3d1e023f9cd527cd4e5997ed634b

Chongqing’s Night. Taken 2018.

main-qimg-67ec1c3c118b3b8e0f2fec2c61e6d71e

My girlfriend asking her reluctant Welsh Corgi to get into my car for a Sunday trip. Taken 2018.

My answer to “Does China prevent visitors from seeing its bad parts?” is, in the past decades, yes, absolutely; now, no.

The problem with China is that, because it moves so fast, and in contrast, the west is now so developed and very little change is expected to take place within years or even decades, people who had been to China once, or twice in the past will be stuck to their impression about China at that time.

Imagine if Larry had only been in China in the 1980s, and never to come back. He would have extremely negative view about China. But what he said about China would still be true at that time.

That year, I learned something from an American engineer working in China, it reforged my view, as a Chinese, about the Country I thought I knew.

I hope the stories I heard from Larry could shed some light on this.

Disclaimer: Photos I didn’t take myself, sources are in the link. Do not use this answer for commercial use. If you find your photos in there and don’t feel happy about it, contact me and I will have them removed.

32.2k Views · View Upvoters

Hey all, this essay was taken from Quora.com, although it is American based, it has a huge asian community, and I've learned a lot about China from the answers there. If you are interested, go give it a look.

No need, China's poorest province has 350km/h high-speed railways and better expressway than Trump Land.

Why would Larry shout to random girls in public i"I love you?! " he would be arrested in America in 2018.

Why would Larry shout to random girls in public i"I love you?! " he would be arrested in America in 2018.
I think at the time it was a 'morals' campaign.

So if a local get into a relationship with a westerner, she's a harlot who's throwing away her culture, so she gets punished and the westerner gets deported for 'civilian subversion'. It didn't just apply to 'random strangers'

I think at the time it was a 'morals' campaign.

So if a local get into a relationship with a westerner, she's a harlot who's throwing away her culture, so she gets punished and the westerner gets deported for 'civilian subversion'. It didn't just apply to 'random strangers'
It's not exactly about "throwing away her culture", even Chinese didn't do that. It was seen as socially disgusting to openly say "I love you" to someone you are unfamiliar with. The effect might be compounded if it was said by a foreigner, since it might imply the person is a trouble maker. At that time, people were very conservative (many didn't even know gay people were real). Relationship meant marriage or the path to marriage, people didn't really think relationship meant anything else. Many people still think this way today (depends on region).

Saying "I love you" to stranger of the opposite gender is seen as disrespectful. It is insincere and makes the perpetrator look like an immoral and a lowlife person looking to take advantage. It would be a different story if someone wanted to sincerely commit to a relationship and eventually get married.

Last edited:
China's next step is to master the most advanced high-tech technologies and then maximize the standard of living of ordinary people.

It's not exactly about "throwing away her culture", even Chinese didn't do that. It was seen as socially disgusting to openly say "I love you" to someone you are unfamiliar with. The effect might be compounded if it was said by a foreigner, since it might imply the person is a trouble maker. At that time, people were very conservative (many didn't even know gay people were real). Relationship meant marriage or the path to marriage, people didn't really think relationship meant anything else. Many people still think this way today (depends on region).

Saying "I love you" to stranger of the opposite gender is seen as disrespectful. It is insincere and makes the perpetrator look like an immoral and a lowlife person looking to take advantage. It would be a different story if someone wanted to sincerely commit to a relationship and eventually get married.

Ah, that makes a lot of sense, thanks for clarifying.

I think CPC will still not attack Taiwan after my mastering this. China will keep on making excuses.
You miss one point, China will not immediately recover Taiwan province, but the Chinese constitution has already pointed out that China must reclaim Taiwan before 2049 (if China cannot recover Taiwan in 2049, the Chinese Communist Party will lose its power). The current China is the stage of accumulating economic, technological and military forces.

Back
Top Bottom