What's new

Expect an Indian ‘GPS’ by 2016

So what happened to our plan of joining GLONASS as a partner ??

That is on as well. The systems are different though. GLONASS is world-wide coverage; while IRNSS is regional coverage. In other words; IRNSS will cover the entire sub-continent: India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh, Myanmar and Srilanka.

:lol: when India says 2016, the real date will be around 2030 after all the delays. I doubt it will even work just like the failed Kaveri engine.

:lol: when India says 2016, the real date will be around 2030 after all the delays. I doubt it will even work just like the failed Kaveri engine.

and also that date wont be met if the foreign suppliers didnt supply the core equipments and techs on time``

when the project is given to ISRO then it can b max by 2018....but if given to DRDO or HAL u can say about 2030 or beyond:D

That is on as well. The systems are different though. GLONASS is world-wide coverage; while IRNSS is regional coverage. In other words; IRNSS will cover the entire sub-continent: India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh, Myanmar and Srilanka.

Also if we are a partner in GLONASS how could they deny us the coverage ??

DRDO’s Chief Controller, R&D, Avinash Chander, said that the defence sector looked forward to a reliable and secure Indian navigational satellite system that would give the Armed Forces an operational edge.

It would use positional and time information from it while using missiles or smart bombs and in unmanned and robotic warfare.

“For defence, [the IRNSS] has been a major requirement. We have been always concerned about GPS or GLONASS [respectively run by the U.S. and the Russian military] being switched off at critical times,” he said.

Back
Top Bottom