What's new

Ex Northern Army commander on Surgical strikes and Kashmir situation

Reaction score
Country
India
Lt Gen D S Hooda (retd) eho commanded the Northern Army Command as the GOC-in-C talks about the surgical strikes and how they were different from the ones conducted in the past, says there is no consensus on an alternative to AFSPA yet, denies any pressure from the government during operations and asserts that the Army has cleaned up its human rights record
BY: EXPRESS NEWS SERVICE | NEW DELHI |
Updated: February 19, 2017 4:46 AM

SUSHANT SINGH: There have been many developments in Jammu and Kashmir over the past two-and-a-half years, both political and in terms of internal security. Where and why, in your opinion, did things go wrong during this period?

In 2014-15, internal recruitment began increasing. More and more locals were joining (militancy). The numbers were not very large, 50-70, but as compared to 2011-12, where the figure was in single digits and most of the recruits were from across the Line of Control, it was high. These local recruits had family and friends in the region and when they got killed, there was more anger. Through 2015, for example, when there would be a search operation, locals would turn up in large numbers. During the attack on the Entrepreneur Development Institute (at Sempore-Pampore in south Kashmir’s Pulwama district in 2016), even women came out to stop military operations. So the frustration had been building for some time and it all finally boiled over in 2016.
The way in which the new political dispensation came into the state also contributed to the dissatisfaction. And Pakistan had a very large role to play. We often see the insurgency in Kashmir as an internal one, but it has a huge transnational character — arms, terrorists, funds, support, all of it comes from Pakistan.
They (Pakistan) were seeing a steady improvement in the situation; 2012, in fact, was the best year as far as controlling insurgency and violence was concerned. In 2016, Pakistan made an even bigger attempt to increase infiltration. All of these issues led to what happened in July 2016.

SUSHANT SINGH: Last year, when things were getting out of hand in J&K, you said politicians should step up and do more. Can you elaborate?

Militarily, I think, the situation has largely come under control. We hear of attacks such as the one in Pathankot and tend to think that the situation is getting bad. That is not true. Let me give you some data. I think 2001 was the worst year, and I am not talking purely from a security perspective, when the total casualties — civilians, security forces and terrorists — exceeded 4,500. In 2012, it was around 120-130, which is about 2.5 per cent of the peak levels. For 2016, which is now being considered to be the worst year in the Valley, data shows that (the total number of casualties) is about 5-6 per cent of peak levels. So, yes, we need to ensure that incidents such as Uri and Nagrota don’t happen, but from a security perspective, the situation has been contained to some extent. This, however, does not mean that things are completely under control and nothing more needs to be done. You now need a political approach to deal with the situation.

SUSHANT SINGH: How bad was the September 2016 attack on the Army base in Uri?

It was bad. I was sitting there at HQ and was getting feedback and the number of casualties kept on increasing — 10,12, 18 — it was quite horrible to hear. One way of dealing with such a situation is to get completely defensive and make sure that the men of your garrison are okay. The other option is payback and that is what happened 20 days later.

SUSHANT SINGH: So the surgical strikes happened 20 days later. Can you tell us about that?

I cannot go into the details of what exactly happened. The government was clear that they wanted to put out a strong statement. That was the intent. There shouldn’t be a feeling that just because you are sitting on your (Pakistan’s) side of the LoC, you can’t be touched. That was the message that the government wanted to send out and it was a good one. I think in some ways it will dominate how we look at security in the future.

PV IYER: So have surgical strikes never been conducted in the past?

I think it (the surgical strikes) was different in two ways. Firstly, in scale and scope, it was much larger than what had been done in the past, and I think the second thing was that the government stepped out and said, ‘yes, we did it’. That is how it was different from what happened in the past.

MUZAMIL JALEEL: You mentioned an increase in local recruitment. How does the military conduct operations in an area where a major chunk of the population does not want to be with the country?

As far as the issue of the majority of the population not wanting to be with India is concerned, I am not sure that is true, unless you are only referring to the Kashmir Valley and some elements there. It definitely doesn’t hold true for Jammu, Ladakh, Poonch, Rajouri districts etc. Yes, there is anger and a certain amount of angst among the youth. See, the answers are not difficult and it is not rocket science to understand what needs to be done. There is need for engagement, particularly with the youth. I think 70 per cent of the population there is below 30 years of age. They don’t have opportunities. They are also reluctant to come out of the state. There is enough scope for generating employment. There is scope for talking to these guys, understanding what they need. We need to talk to the traders, taxi owners, people in the tourism industry, students, we need to talk to everyone.
I think there is a little lack of confidence in terms of what can be done. If you ask me, there are many opportunities within J&K. There is a huge tourism industry, there is horticulture, local handicrafts, but how do we utilise it? Ultimately, everyone wants a peaceful life. I don’t think anyone wants this turmoil.

MUZAMIL JALEEL: Now there is a complete freeze as far as engagement is concerned. Do you think there is a need for some kind of a political discussion?

There is a feeling that there is a complete freeze in engagement, but it has to be done. Political issues have to be addressed. As far as the question of the presence of the military forces on the ground is concerned, well, it is like the chicken and egg story. See, when things are peaceful, the guys (security forces) will move out. Though there is a feeling that the Army is not pulling out forces… Look at the Jammu region. Over a period of time, the region cooled down and forces were pulled out. Today the security cover is very thin. But what do you do when you have a situation like last year (in the Valley)? The state can’t abdicate its responsibility to establish law and order. So, we were forced to push in some additional troops to keep the situation under control. There are no immediate answers. There are no easy solutions. We need to sit down, put our heads together and find a solution.

SUSHANT SINGH: What is your view on the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act? Should it be done away with and if not, why?

Again we are looking at the situation from the wrong angle. Do we want the military to be in J&K or not, that is the basic issue. And if we think the military needs to be there, then there is no option but to have AFSPA. Otherwise, legally, the Army is not supposed to intervene in internal situations. Has the situation improved, and can we say that the military can be pulled out and things can be left entirely to the police and para-military forces? I don’t think we have reached that situation, although the Army has always held the view that internal security situations are best handled by the police.

SUSHANT SINGH: Should the Army find an alternative to AFSPA which is more palatable to the people?
There has been a fair amount of internal debate on whether some of the provisions can be done away with or can be diluted. We have not come to a consensus on that yet.

MUZAMIL JALEEL: The grievance in Kashmir is not just about AFSPA, it is also about the Army’s misuse of it. People cannot take the Army to civilian courts. Now, if the Army doesn’t trust civilian courts, then why will the people?

The fact that the military has its own justice system is not unique to India. Secondly, let me just clarify the legal provisions of AFSPA: It says if you want to prosecute somebody, you need sanction from the Central government. And again, the system of seeking sanctions from the Central government is not unique to the Army; it is there for government officials across the board.
There was a time, 10-15 years ago, when things were really looking bad but over the past five years, the Army has cleaned up its human rights record. People have been punished, they have been given life imprisonment. Now, we can’t explain why the civil court has acquitted somebody, that is the Indian justice system. We punish somebody, that person goes to court, the court acquits him, what is there for us to say?

MUZAMIL JALEEL: There is a feeling that the Army by not trusting any agency and by exonerating its people in court martials, has a free hand?

The issue is that the state has not been able to counter this kind of narrative. You keep hearing of things such as the Army is responsible for rapes and human rights violations, particularly in the international media. If you ask anyone when was the last time somebody was convicted for such a crime, there are no answers.
There is also a feeling in the military that sometimes we are being unfairly targeted. So many allegations of human rights violations have been proven false. An officer was charged with rape and he fought the case for 15 years in a civil court. Finally, he was acquitted. Consider the trauma that he went through. There is also a feeling that we should not subject our people to such an environment. Your promotions are stopped for 10-15 years, you keep fighting a case and then finally the charges are proven false. It is better then to take over the case and deal with it faster in our own military courts.
SHEELA BHATT: The PDP and BJP are parties with very different ideologies. Has the alliance made it difficult for security forces to handle the situation on the ground?
There hasn’t been any significant impact as far as military operations are concerned. We have remained independent and there has been no pressure from the political side to conduct operations in a certain way. I don’t think there was another option but for these two parties to join hands. That was the mandate.

PV IYER: As far as the surgical strikes are concerned, was it a political call or more of a military consideration? Were the goals of the surgical strikes, in your assessment, met? There was also no independent assessment of, say, the extent of the damage?

The decision to make the strikes public was a political one. They decided that we want to make an announcement. They (the government) were fairly closely involved in the planning process, and decided that this is how we want to deal with the situation. The assessment of the damage, what exactly happened, the information is there but it is not in the public domain. That again is the decision of the government.
I don’t think we should look at it as one huge battle campaign and whether its objectives were met. People went, they came back, there were no casualties; for us, we couldn’t have asked for more.The primary difference between the past (operations) and this one was in terms of scale and scope, which was much larger and, the fact that the government decided to go public with this one.

PRAVEEN SWAMI: Are surgical strikes the only way to respond to big attacks conceptually or should we be considering other ways of dealing with the situation?

I think we need to have a whole range of responses, both overt and covert, depending on what we want to do. We should not rule out any option.

SUSHANT SINGH: So why did we not respond with surgical strikes after the November 2016 attack on the Army base in Nagrota, J&K?

We should not look at it like that. Also, not every operation is made public. How else do you deal with the threat from Pakistan?

PRAVEEN SWAMI: What, in your view, would be the benchmarks that would allow for a phased withdrawal of the Indian Army from a counter-insurgency situation?

It is very difficult to say. There has to be an assessment over a period of time. We have de-inducted two divisions from the Jammu region. In the past, we have pulled out troops from Kashmir and moved them into the Ladakh region. Actually, if you see, there has been a fairly steady reduction (of security forces). You don’t see it in the Kashmir Valley because everyone wears the same uniform. The CRPF and the Army are sort of wearing the same uniform and standing on the streets. Road protection is largely the responsibility of the CRPF, and you see so many of their men on the road that it appears like a huge militarised society. We have thinned out a lot but some minimum presence is required.

MANEESH CHHIBBER: When the Army goes into an operational situation such as the one in Kashmir, there is always a withdrawal plan. And if that happens, will it be a political decision or a call that the Army will take?

I think it can’t be a purely military or political decision; it will be a joint call.

SEEMA CHISHTI: How is the insurgency in Kashmir different from that in the Northeast?

I commanded my division in Manipur and I have seen things fairly closely there. The basic principles while handling insurgencies is the same — a people-friendly approach, operations have to be conducted in small teams, locals shouldn’t be arrested etc. Having said that, the insurgency in the Northeast is completely different from J&K. In the Northeast, each state has a different dynamic. Also, the media doesn’t cover much of it.

ANANT GOENKA: On Kashmir, where does the relationship between the Army and the government stand as of today?

I think as far as our ability to advise the government is concerned, there are no problems there. Obviously the government gets advice from various agencies, the primary source being the Ministry of Home Affairs, which is actually supposed to deal with such a situation (Kashmir).

SUSHANT SINGH: Lieutenant General Praveen Bakshi served under you as Chief of Staff in the Northern Command. General Bipin Rawat was your colleague as an Army commander. What do you make of the fact that the government of the day superseded two senior officers and selected General Rawat as the Army chief?

The government had the power to take a decision and they have taken it. My suggestion is that time has passed and we need to put this behind us. I am saying this for two reasons: One, you have General Rawat as the chief and he needs all our support. As for Lt General Bakshi, I have known him personally, he is an outstanding professional and one of the most honourable men I have met. There was some chatter in the media, but we must put this behind us now.

SUSHANT SINGH: You have served in the Army for close to 40 years. Any regrets, or anything you would have done differently?

I don’t think so. Yes, there were times when I didn’t see certain things coming. For instance, when the Uri attacks took place, I went on record to say that it will all be over in 10 days. Things carried on for four months… One can sometimes misread the situation. Everything was not perfect, there are incidents you regret, that you wish hadn’t happened. Uri, beheading of somebody… but you know you have to take the good with the bad. Overall, the experience has been extremely satisfying.

This session was held on February 10

The strike was remarkable and it has crossed a threshold politically and diplomatically.
In Kargil war, Vajpayee Govt. could have crossed the LOC and grabbed Pakistani land and may be fight a small war and may be takeover Azad Kashmir. But they didn't to have diplomatic upper hand.
MMS govt. was virtually without options to retaliate to Mumbai attacks etc.
This surgical Strike has changed a new leaf in Indian Military History.

Soon after kargil war Pakistan did more than 50 such strikes inside india. India accepted 21 with 41 dead including 3 officers and 72 injured.
During 2011 in a splendid attack whole indian unit was killed and the area was captured by Pakistan army unit in a response to india's raid. The local commanders war was taken by indian DGMO to higher level after failed attempts to take back the area captured. The unit which did this operation was about to move back to some other garrisson but they refused to leave LOC without revenge.
In 2013. India accepted 2 killed ,when 6 were killed.
indians at one incident accept the deaths of 8-10 ghatak soldiers killed in a surgical strike by Pakistan.
in 2011 indians were killed in a similar raids. India also did a raid killing 4 Pakistani soldiers.
Indian army under some captain suryi tried one but all of the soldiers were killed and bodies were later returned after kargil war ended.
last year indian tried to kill Pakistani soldiers in raid by their commandos. 14 indian commandos were killed,one Pakistani post partially destroyed. 2 soldiers were killed on Pakistan side. Pakistan responded by using drones and precision guided weapons attack followed by SSG operation killing indian soldiers in their station. Videos and some pictures were released. Indians called it surgical strike.
LOC has a history of such incidents. Pakistan did more strikes inside india specially under pakistani major who was called lion by generals due to his successful deep penetration attacks and indian intercepts showed their soldiers fear of that Major(I know about his name often in 2002-2003) and never forgot that name.
This time difference was indian elections. In 2013 indians accepted that they raided Pakistani post. 1 pakistani soldier was killed, 2 injured. 6 indian soldiers were killed in ambush the very next day.

Indians need to realize that raiding each other posts at LOC is not something special. It's normal and no incident of indian raid went unanswered. Modi is fooling you.

Soon after kargil war Pakistan did more than 50 such strikes inside india. India accepted 21 with 41 dead including 3 officers and 72 injured.
During 2011 in a splendid attack whole indian unit was killed and the area was captured by Pakistan army unit in a response to india's raid. The local commanders war was taken by indian DGMO to higher level after failed attempts to take back the area captured. The unit which did this operation was about to move back to some other garrisson but they refused to leave LOC without revenge.
indians at one incident accept the deaths of 8-10 ghatak soldiers killed in a surgical strike by Pakistan.
in 2011 indians were killed in a similar raids. India also did a raid killing 4 Pakistani soldiers.
Indian army under some captain suryi tried one but all of the soldiers were killed and bodies were later returned after kargil war ended.
last year indian tried to kill Pakistani soldiers in raid by their commandos. 14 indian commandos were killed,one Pakistani post partially destroyed. 2 soldiers were killed on Pakistan side. Pakistan responded by using drones and precision guided weapons attack followed by SSG operation killing indian soldiers in their station. Videos and some pictures were released. Indians called it surgical strike.
LOC has a history of such incidents. Pakistan did more strikes inside india specially under pakistani major who was called lion by generals due to his successful deep penetration attacks and indian intercepts showed their soldiers fear of that Major(I know about his name often in 2002-2003) and never forgot that name.
This time difference was indian elections. In 2013 indians accepted that they raided Pakistani post. 1 pakistani soldier was killed, 2 injured. 6 indian soldiers were killed in ambush the very next day.

Indians need to realize that raiding each other posts at LOC is not something special. It's normal and no incident of indian raid went unanswered. Modi is fooling you.
Nice fake stories.:rofl:
You should be script writer for B-grade lollywood movies.

:lol:

Its OK. local commanders use this tactic fine. But for the political class/country to take this step and display to the world is huge.

At least huge for Indian political class.

Its OK. local commanders use this tactic fine. But for the political class/country to take this step and display to the world is huge.

At least huge for Indian political class.
That's what i meant. Imagine nawaz sharif giving details of indian soldiers killed in raids and then opposition do it too for political reasons. It will only create hate among people of both countries. We were always enemies but never hated one another but things are changing due to many political reasons.

Nice fake stories.:rofl:
You should be script writer for B-grade lollywood movies.

few details were truth accepted by indians. Infact most of them were. Like one operation detail were made public by indians. The story of 8-10 ghatak soldiers killed and then indian revenge attack with some claims were made public by indians. 2013 border raids started by some indian officer fail raid had been quoted by indian media after Pakistan revenge. But thepoint is that border raids are common on LOC.
Raids in 2011 are well known.
Failed raid by Capt Gurjinder Singh Suri is known to the world as he have been given indian second highest gallantry award after death.
Raids after kargil war have been mostly accepted by indian army.

so do you mean that indians are giving false medaals to your dead or telling lies to you?

http://naradanews.com/2016/09/when-army-raided-a-pakistani-post-in-hajipir-sector-in-2013/
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ke-by-Ilyas-Kashmiri/articleshow/17961775.cms
http://www.alrasub.com/indian-troops-violate-loc-raid-security-checkpost-ispr/
http://www.theweek.in/news/india/indian-army-killed-8-pakistan-soldiers-in-2011-surgical-strike.html
http://standforindia.com/kargil-war-hero-capta8n-gurjinder-singh-suri-maha-vir-chakra/
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...oops-raid-Indian-posts/articleshow/211290.cms
all indian sources for you.

Hope you talk after verifying next time.

Only cross border action against civilian were done by Indian army. Indian army accepted it. That's what your army did before and did now. We kill soldiers only.

That's what i meant. Imagine nawaz sharif giving details of indian soldiers killed in raids and then opposition do it too for political reasons. It will only create hate among people of both countries. We were always enemies but never hated one another but things are changing due to many political reasons.

few details were truth accepted by indians. Infact most of them were. Like one operation detail were made public by indians. The story of 8-10 ghatak soldiers killed and then indian revenge attack with some claims were made public by indians. 2013 border raids started by some indian officer fail raid had been quoted by indian media after Pakistan revenge. But thepoint is that border raids are common on LOC.
Raids in 2011 are well known.
Failed raid by Capt Gurjinder Singh Suri is known to the world as he have been given indian second highest gallantry award after death.
Raids after kargil war have been mostly accepted by indian army.

so do you mean that indians are giving false medaals to your dead or telling lies to you?

http://naradanews.com/2016/09/when-army-raided-a-pakistani-post-in-hajipir-sector-in-2013/
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ke-by-Ilyas-Kashmiri/articleshow/17961775.cms
http://www.alrasub.com/indian-troops-violate-loc-raid-security-checkpost-ispr/
http://www.theweek.in/news/india/indian-army-killed-8-pakistan-soldiers-in-2011-surgical-strike.html
http://standforindia.com/kargil-war-hero-capta8n-gurjinder-singh-suri-maha-vir-chakra/

Hope you talk after verifying next time.
Wrong these are the known raids:

Six months after the Kargil war, on the night of January 21-22, 2000, seven Pakistani soldiers were alleged to have been captured in a raid on a post in the Nadala enclave, across the Neelam River. The seven soldiers, wounded in fire, were allegedly tied up and dragged across a ravine running across the LoC. The bodies were returned, according to Pakistan’s complaint, bearing signs of brutal torture.

Less detail is available on the retaliatory cycles involved in incidents that have taken place since the ceasefire went into place along the LoC in 2003 — but Pakistan’s complaints to UNMOGIP suggest that there has been steady, but largely unreported, cross-border violence involving beheadings and mutilations.

Indian troops, Pakistan alleged, killed a JCO, or junior commissioned officer, and three soldiers in a raid on a post in the Baroh sector, near Bhimber Gali in Poonch, on September 18, 2003. The raiders, it told UNMOGIP, decapitated one soldier and carried his head off as a trophy.
The raid is believed to be retaliation for killing of three Jat regiment soldiers earlier

Near-identical incidents have taken place on at least two occasions since 2008, when hostilities on the LoC began to escalate again. Indian troops, Pakistan’s complaints record, beheaded a soldier and carried his head across on June 19, 2008, in the Bhattal sector in Poonch. Four Pakistani soldiers, UNMOGIP was told, died in the raid.

The killings came soon after a June 5, 2008 attack on the Kranti border observation post near Salhotri village in Poonch, which claimed the life of 2-8 Gurkha Regiment soldier named
Jawashwar Chhame.

Finally, on August 30, 2011, Pakistan complained that three soldiers, including a JCO, were beheaded in an Indian raid on a post in the Sharda sector, across the Neelam river valley in Kel. The raid was revenge for a attack on the Indian forward position, a highly placed military source said, was carried out by Pakistani special forces, who used rafts to penetrate India’s defences along the LoC and behead two soldiers.

And there is no incident in which 8-10 Ghatak soldiers died.

The strike was remarkable and it has crossed a threshold politically and diplomatically.
In Kargil war, Vajpayee Govt. could have crossed the LOC and grabbed Pakistani land and may be fight a small war and may be takeover Azad Kashmir. But they didn't to have diplomatic upper hand.
MMS govt. was virtually without options to retaliate to Mumbai attacks etc.
This surgical Strike has changed a new leaf in Indian Military History.
Bro at kargil war Pakistan had already done preparations to open a new sector and infiltration was done but due to US pressure we stopped the war.
Indian strike core were already busy and large number of troop at chinese border and kashmir were cut off due to Pakistani successfull interception of highway to north. But we later retreated due to US pressue after vajpayee letter.
Indian government requested china to help them supply soldiers which was refused. The war surely would have been nuclear due to many factors:
1) Indian army in north was out of ration and no other route was available at that time.
2) Indian airforce was better than Pakistani airforce which was hurt by sanctions. Most of our fighters were US origin.
3) Situation was desperate for india.
4) war would have been long and destructive due to most indian strike cores committed to Kargil.
5) Pakistan was ready to use nuclear weapons in case of full scale war.
US thought that it could be a nuclear war. but it was past. Now both forces are modernized and weapons are more destructive. We should solve kashmir issue through dialog and sacrifice of so called honour and live in peace forever.
Both countries will be completely destroyed in any conflict short or long.

Wrong these are the known raids:

Six months after the Kargil war, on the night of January 21-22, 2000, seven Pakistani soldiers were alleged to have been captured in a raid on a post in the Nadala enclave, across the Neelam River. The seven soldiers, wounded in fire, were allegedly tied up and dragged across a ravine running across the LoC. The bodies were returned, according to Pakistan’s complaint, bearing signs of brutal torture.

Less detail is available on the retaliatory cycles involved in incidents that have taken place since the ceasefire went into place along the LoC in 2003 — but Pakistan’s complaints to UNMOGIP suggest that there has been steady, but largely unreported, cross-border violence involving beheadings and mutilations.

Indian troops, Pakistan alleged, killed a JCO, or junior commissioned officer, and three soldiers in a raid on a post in the Baroh sector, near Bhimber Gali in Poonch, on September 18, 2003. The raiders, it told UNMOGIP, decapitated one soldier and carried his head off as a trophy.
The raid is believed to be retaliation for killing of three Jat regiment soldiers earlier

Near-identical incidents have taken place on at least two occasions since 2008, when hostilities on the LoC began to escalate again. Indian troops, Pakistan’s complaints record, beheaded a soldier and carried his head across on June 19, 2008, in the Bhattal sector in Poonch. Four Pakistani soldiers, UNMOGIP was told, died in the raid.

The killings came soon after a June 5, 2008 attack on the Kranti border observation post near Salhotri village in Poonch, which claimed the life of 2-8 Gurkha Regiment soldier named
Jawashwar Chhame.

Finally, on August 30, 2011, Pakistan complained that three soldiers, including a JCO, were beheaded in an Indian raid on a post in the Sharda sector, across the Neelam river valley in Kel. The raid was revenge for a attack on the Indian forward position, a highly placed military source said, was carried out by Pakistani special forces, who used rafts to penetrate India’s defences along the LoC and behead two soldiers.

And there is no incident in which 8-10 Ghatak soldiers died.
sorry my mistake. it was ghurka regiment.

but the point is border raids are common. Shouldn't be used for political purpose. For example giving details of enemy soldiers beheadings officially for politically could become a reason for deaths of more soldiers on both sides.

Bro at kargil war Pakistan had already done preparations to open a new sector and infiltration was done but due to US pressure we stopped the war.
Indian strike core were already busy and large number of troop at chinese border and kashmir were cut off due to Pakistani successfull interception of highway to north. But we later retreated due to US pressue after vajpayee letter.
Indian government requested china to help them supply soldiers which was refused. The war surely would have been nuclear due to many factors:
1) Indian army in north was out of ration and no other route was available at that time.
2) Indian airforce was better than Pakistani airforce which was hurt by sanctions. Most of our fighters were US origin.
3) Situation was desperate for india.
4) war would have been long and destructive due to most indian strike cores committed to Kargil.
5) Pakistan was ready to use nuclear weapons in case of full scale war.
US thought that it could be a nuclear war. but it was past. Now both forces are modernized and weapons are more destructive. We should solve kashmir issue through dialog and sacrifice of so called honour and live in peace forever.
Both countries will be completely destroyed in any conflict short or long.

sorry my mistake. it was ghurka regiment.

but the point is border raids are common. Shouldn't be used for political purpose. For example giving details of enemy soldiers beheadings officially for politically could become a reason for deaths of more soldiers on both sides.
Of course Pakistani Army is a professional Army but the preparations weren't there. PAF wasnt even kept in loop so much for the preparations. India could supply its troops through air and alternate route through the fantastic Leh Manali route. Some transporters use that route for local supplies.
But India had opportunity and should have punished Pakistani Army for the misadventure. Vajpayee Govt. should have allowed IA to cross LOC. Anyways it was good use of diplomacy. Didn't know writing letters and phone calls could make PA retreat.
Kashmir is not a dispute if Pakistan and India decide to maintain status quo and declare it IB, matter ends. Since this is not happening therefore no resolution presently.
Nukes, hmmm Pakistan has nukes but that doesn't deter TTP etc., see what is going on in Pakistan Lahore, APS, Bachakhan etc.

Of course Pakistani Army is a professional Army but the preparations weren't there. PAF wasnt even kept in loop so much for the preparations. India could supply its troops through air and alternate route through the fantastic Leh Manali route. Some transporters use that route for local supplies.
But India had opportunity and should have punished Pakistani Army for the misadventure. Vajpayee Govt. should have allowed IA to cross LOC. Anyways it was good use of diplomacy. Didn't know writing letters and phone calls could make PA retreat.
Kashmir is not a dispute if Pakistan and India decide to maintain status quo and declare it IB, matter ends. Since this is not happening therefore no resolution presently.
Nukes, hmmm Pakistan has nukes but that doesn't deter TTP etc., see what is going on in Pakistan Lahore, APS, Bachakhan etc.
Air route was not sufficient to supply to all men. The alternative Leh Manali route was not developed at that time. Even jeeps would not easily move on those tracks at that time.
Writing letters and threatening full scale war with both parties nuclear countries could pressurize the whole world.
Kashmir is a dispute accepted by indians even in lahore accord, simla, tashkand etc.

There is no dispute if both countries agree to status quo. Two brothers when they divide property in family division somebody gets more sombody may get less. The wiser ones accept and move on the lesser ones keep grudges and keep fighting. India settled with BD and gave more land to BD at least the dispute and issue is resolved.
BTW the Manali Leh route is fantastic and used by truckers. My personal trip in an SUV was breathtaking without any issues. But it needs work and attention, the only issue is since its not heavily used as the population is very sparse in that part of laddakh, so not lucrative to maintain since the route will require major repairs every year for to be of military grade. But when it matters the road can be utilized exclusively for Army.

There is no dispute if both countries agree to status quo. Two brothers when they divide property in family division somebody gets more sombody may get less. The wiser ones accept and move on the lesser ones keep grudges and keep fighting. India settled with BD and gave more land to BD at least the dispute and issue is resolved.
BTW the Manali Leh route is fantastic and used by truckers. My personal trip in an SUV was breathtaking without any issues. But it needs work and attention, the only issue is since its not heavily used as the population is very sparse in that part of laddakh, so not lucrative to maintain since the route will require major repairs every year for to be of military grade. But when it matters the road can be utilized exclusively for Army.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom