What's new

EU says Turkey must do more

ResurgentIran

Reaction score
EU says Turkey must do more on accession talks

BRUSSELS: Turkey's efforts to join the EU are going nowhere because Ankara has failed to live up to its obligations for change and reform, the EU said Monday.

It is "in the interest of both parties that accession negotiations gain further momentum," a statement said after a meeting of the EU-Turkey Association Council attended by Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu.

Turkey, on a renewed push to join the 27-member EU, "would be able to accelerate the pace" of the talks by making progress towards the benchmarks set, it said.

However, the "EU noted with deep regret that Turkey, despite repeated calls, continued refusing to fulfil its obligation of full, no-discriminatory implementation" of the terms set for the negotiations.

By the same token, the EU "also noted that Turkey had not made progress towards the necessary normalisation of its relations with ... Cyprus."

Turkey's efforts to join the EU formally started in 2005 but have stalled in recent years due to several stumbling blocks including its human rights record, commitment to democratic values and Cyprus, divided between its Greek and Turkish communities since Ankara invaded the island in 1974.

On the positive side, the EU recognised that there had been some progress towards opening up Chapter 22, which covers regional policy, as part of the accession process.

"The EU looked forward to progress on other negotiating chapters as well," the statement said.

Foreign Minister Davutoglu was blunt in reply.

"It takes more than one flower for it to be spring," Davutoglu told a press conference attended by Irish Foreign Minister Eamon Gilmore as co-chair of the meeting, and EU Enlargement Commissioner Stefan Fule.

"Seventeen (of the 35 negotiating chapters) are blocked for political reasons. We have to unblock this process because at this rate, it will take 50 years to finish," he said.

Davutoglu called for talks on the external relations chapter, saying that it was time for a new "strategic perspective in our relations" -- an apparent reference to the bloody conflict in neighbouring Syria and the wider Middle East.

"Without Turkey, the EU will not be complete, it will not have stategic or geographic continuity," he argued.

Davutoglu was to take part in a separate EU foreign ministers meeting in Brussels amid sharp divisions over whether to supply arms to rebels fighting to oust Syria's President Bashar al-Assad.

He said arms should be given because the Syrian people had the right to defend themselves.

EU says Turkey must do more on accession talks | News , Middle East | THE DAILY STAR

I hope Turkey shows them the Middle Finger ! :)

Well we have show'n them the middle finger long time ago. I doubt that the current government or any other government in the future is actuallyseriously considering to join the EU. It's just a facade to give them the thought that we are still 100% focused on europe.

Well we have show'n them the middle finger long time ago. I doubt that the current government or any other government in the future is actuallyseriously considering to join the EU. It's just a facade to give them the thought that we are still 100% focused on europe.

Its more than facade EU still represent %50(half) of our export figure we can't lose EU's goodwill while they are still providing us such a big market specially when rest of the world captured by China thanks to their low prices.

Its more than facade EU still represent %50(half) of our export figure we can't lose EU's goodwill while they are still providing us such a big market specially when rest of the world captured by China thanks to their low prices.

My man, that 50 % is long gone. With diversing the trade eu export has gone as low as 35% In the total export share and it's still declining.
I will edit a source for my statement.

Your theory goes out the window as soon as one remembers Erdogoon's statements how Turkey's future is in the east made at the SCO summit.
Imho that was just bluffing and it appears it has worked somewhat as there is heavy category support now for Turkey's membership from the EU Commision itself and from the German political establishment.

My man, that 50 % is long gone. With diversing the trade eu export has gone as low as 35% In the total export share and it's still declining.

If my memory serves me right, it was something like 38-42% last time i checked.

Your theory goes out the window as soon as one remembers Erdogoon's statements how Turkey's future is in the east made at the SCO summit.
Imho that was just bluffing and it appears it has worked somewhat as there is heavy category support now for Turkey's membership from the EU Commision itself and from the German political establishment.

Turkey's future is in the West but that doesn't change the fact that neither Turks nor European people want Turkey to join EU.

As compared with the same month of the previous year, exports to the EU were $5.37 billion, decreased by 2.4 percent. The proportion of the EU countries was 40.7 percent in March 2013 while it was 41.6 percent in March 2012.

Turkey Balance of Trade | Data | Chart | Forecast | News

Turkey's future is in the West but that doesn't change the fact that neither Turks nor European people want Turkey to join EU.

Career politicians don't give a damn about the people. Propaganda value of attracting new members in tough times would be worth enough alone imho for the eurocrats in charge. If they manage to sell you the euro as well, lol, it's coke and hookers time in Brussels.

http://file.setav.org/Files/Pdf/20130206115810_perspektif_14.pdf

Here's the source. It's Turkish so I will explain it a little bit.

Eu share of turkish export
2011 46,2% - 2012 38,8% . In dollars 2011 62 billion dollar 2012 59 billion dollar.
Rest of the world share of turkish export
2011 51,9% - 2012 59,7% . In dollars 2011 70 billion dollar 2012 91 billion dollar.

I don't know who the economic advisors are from the current government. But they do a heck of a job.

Once that Turks become EU member Turkey together with UK will take away leadership from Germany/France.. they know that! That's why UK and Balkan states support it while Germany and France and their puppets oppose..

Thats exactly why US and UK always gives us unlimited support while Germany and France will NEVER let us join the union.

http://file.setav.org/Files/Pdf/20130206115810_perspektif_14.pdf

Here's the source. It's Turkish so I will explain it a little bit.

Eu share of turkish export
2011 46,2% - 2012 38,8% . In dollars 2011 62 billion dollar 2012 59 billion dollar.
Rest of the world share of turkish export
2011 51,9% - 2012 59,7% . In dollars 2011 70 billion dollar 2012 91 billion dollar.

And once this crisis is over that share will move towards 55-60% again. The EU is important for Turkey, just think of all the custom fees Turkish exporters don't have to pay.

@revojam @ELTurco

Couldn't agree more, I have been thinking the same for years. It would change the EU for ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me be direct...Unless Eu changes its apportionment of seats within the European Parliament system, Germany and France will never ever allow Turkey to join EU as distribution of seats is degressively proportional to the population of the member states thus will make Turkey 2nd after Germany and around 2050 Turkey will have the most parliamenter..They never would allow that to happen imho and no one can blame them for that..

Back
Top Bottom