What's new

Electricity: China comes to Pakistan’s aid again

Omar1984

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score

Among the hopelessness of prolonged electricity shortages that have hit the economy badly, China comes to Pakistan’s aid again. But where are Pakistan’s western ‘friends’ and ‘friendly investors’?

Beijing will provide Pakistan two much needed nuclear power plants, adding to the existing Chinese-built nuclear power capacity.

The plants will help Pakistan cover part of the huge energy deficit. As the demand is spiralling, Islamabad plans to produce at least an additional 8,000 megawatts by 2025. Pakistan is seeking foreign direct investment in power from all countries and sources, as its economy, particularly the textile-related and value-added units suffer a great deal.

The installed nuclear power capacity in fy-2010 is 562 mw, and the generation is 2,521 gigawatt (GW) hours, according to Hydrocarbon Development Instit-ution (HDIP), Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Resources. The overall hydroelectric installed capacity is 6,481 megawatts (MW), and the generation is 23,535 GW hours. The installed capacity of thermal electricity is 12,707 MW and generation is 39,342 GW hours, according to HDIP.

The consumption in fiscal year 2010 is 37.3 million tonnes of oil equivalent, which is met by a mix of natural gas, oil, electricity, coal and liquefied petroleum.

China, this week, held out its “firmest government confirmation yet” of its pans to build two nuclear power reactors for Pakistan. The Chinese Foreign Office Jiang Yu said, “ China plans to help Pakistan expands its Chashama nuclear energy complex in Punjab by building two reactors in addition to the one already operating, and another under completion.”

At the same time, China National Nuclear Corporation says it is, separately, engaged in negotiations to build a 1-Gigawatt nuclear reactor for Pakistan. It will be supplied by state-owned China National Nuclear Corporation (CNNC). Qiu Jiangang, Vice President CNNC reportedly said, “both sides are in discussion over our company exporting a 1-gigawatt nuclear pant to Pakistan.”

China and Pakistan are happy with the fact that Beijing may see no need to get approval for the two new reactors from the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) of 46 countries, which is an international council of governments. The group aims to ensure that nuclear exports are not diverted to non-peaceful purposes.

“China has already notified the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) about the relevant details and invited IAEA to exercise safeguards and oversight of this project,” according to the spokesperson. The reactors are being provided under a 2003 agreement. But, both Islamabad and Beijing have, in the past, described such reservations as “unfounded” and “unnecessary” in view of the fact that Pakistan, itself a nuclear power since May 1998, has an excellent performance record in the nuclear field.

The new Chinese reactors will be of 300 MW each. Chinese companies have already been selected to build the plants and they have signed with the Pakistanis.

Pakistani Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Abdul Basit, says “We have an ongoing civilian nuclear cooperation agreement with China which is, according to our respective international obligations for peaceful purposes under he IAEA safeguards.”

The two new reactors don’t require NSG approval, as “they are coming under a memorandum of understanding signed prior to China joining the NSG,” he said.

Completion of these and other nuclear reactors apart, the demand is so huge that all sorts of energy generation equipment will have to be installed for years — starting immediately. Here is the potential for foreign investment and companies making all types of equipment, ranging from thermal to hydel, and nuclear to natural gas.

:pakistan::china:

:tup:

China should unconditionally transfer some of its best power planet technologies to Pakistan to make sure the people of Pakistan can independently construct power planets whenever whereever required.

:pakistan::china:

I agree. :cheers:

The West will throw a fit if we do that, but that will be their own loss.

But all these plants are for pakistani people not for the pakistani leaders so china should transfer them as soon as possible:china:

Thankyou China we love you always may our friendship stay strong forever :pakistan::china:

Good news....by the way for my general knowledge can anybody enlighten about the projects China completed in past 15 years in Energy sector of Pakistan?

Besides Nuclear reactors I can't remember any project that China has completed in past 15 years in this energy sector respectively

Then what does this word "AGAIN" means? I am not criticizing china or anything like that but honestly there has been few western + local projects in this sector but I am yet to see any chinese project in this sector that was completed in past 15 years or so...

My opinion only...I could be wrong though

PS: I am not talking about the on-going or future projects as they have only involved recently in hydro power projects and hoping to build more reactors in future...

Energy is not a short-term projects, not in China, but the energy conditions in Pakistan, investigation of mineral, hydropower, nuclear power, all require more time and see whether there is the geographical conditions of Pakistan. However, I saw the news, all those aspects of (coal, hydropower, nuclear power), China have provided assistance.

Last edited:
It is very sad to knew that pakistani governement is using rental power instead of accepting china's offer:china::pakistan::pdf::sniper:

Energy is not a short-term projects, not in China, but the energy conditions in Pakistan, investigation of mineral, hydropower, nuclear power, all require more time and see whether there is the geographical conditions of Pakistan. However, I saw the news, all those aspects of (coal, hydropower, nuclear power), China have provided assistance.

The issues with regard to energy in Pakistan are Politics and Money - China offers help for the Pakistani nation, but the politicians want MONEY - and the issues surrounding energy in Pakistan are tied up in suspicons rich and powerful landowners have in competing with each other for power and control over resources.

But just know that those Pakistanis who care more about the nation and who are not politicians or their friends, appreciate China -- and be warned, these politicans and bureaucrats are friends only of MONEY and enemies of Pakistan and China.

The issues with regard to energy in Pakistan are Politics and Money - China offers help for the Pakistani nation, but the politicians want MONEY - and the issues surrounding energy in Pakistan are tied up in suspicons rich and powerful landowners have in competing with each other for power and control over resources.

But just know that those Pakistanis who care more about the nation and who are not politicians or their friends, appreciate China -- and be warned, these politicans and bureaucrats are friends only of MONEY and enemies of Pakistan and China.

In my opinion, at least the Chinese project in Pakistan, not too many corrupt, because we will ensure success of the project, I am not saying there is no corruption, but at least the need to ensure project success.

Although the people of Pakistan do not trust politicians, this is really a big problem.

Among the hopelessness of prolonged electricity shortages that have hit the economy badly, China comes to Pakistan’s aid again. But where are Pakistan’s western ‘friends’ and ‘friendly investors’?

Pakistan's old and best friend China always cares for Pakistan but our stupid and super corrupt politicians don't care they only look at the west. we don't need US at all our friend China is with us and they always care for us.

Its a fantastic news I hope we will see more projects in civil and in defence. Pakistan China friendship Zindabad:pakistan::china:

In my opinion, at least the Chinese project in Pakistan, not too many corrupt, because we will ensure success of the project, I am not saying there is no corruption, but at least the need to ensure project success.

Although the people of Pakistan do not trust politicians, this is really a big problem.

Well said brother.:china:

Pakistan has got used to AID!
People post it proudly on international forums!Its a fact to be ashamed of!
Living on someone else's aid

Pakistan has got used to AID!
People post it proudly on international forums!Its a fact to be ashamed of!
Living on someone else's aid

Its not aid,its a buisness between the two countries.And its far better than the country who lives on wet dream such as we are shinning super power,we are amazing,we are blah,blah.

Back
Top Bottom