Muhammed45

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
Egypt's president backs Saudi purge, urges de-escalation with Iran

Ahmed Aboulenein, Malak Ghobrial
6 MIN READ

SHARM AL-SHEIKH, Egypt (Reuters) - Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi said on Wednesday he was against military strikes on Iran or the Tehran-backed Lebanese group Hezbollah, saying there was enough turmoil in the Middle East.

FILE PHOTO - Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi delivers a statement following a meeting at the Elysee Palace in Paris, France November 26, 2014. REUTERS/Philippe Wojazer/File Picture
In a meeting with a group of journalists, Sisi also pledged support for Saudi Arabia in its stand-off with Iran.

Asked about the prospect of attacks on Iran and Hezbollah - two days after Saudi Arabia had accused Lebanon of declaring war because of Hezbollah’s “aggressive actions”, Sisi stressed the importance of de-escalation.

“I am always against war,” Sisi said, without spelling out who might be involved in military action.

Sunni powerhouse Saudi Arabia called for sanctions against Hezbollah this week and accused Iran of supplying Yemen’s Houthis with missiles used to target it.

“I have said it once and I will say it again, Gulf national security is Egyptian national security. I have faith in the wise and firm leadership of Saudi Arabia,” Sisi said.

Sisi said the situation in the kingdom was “reassuring and stable” following last weekend’s arrests of 11 princes, former and current ministers, and a group of elite businessmen on corruption allegations.

They face allegations of money laundering, bribery, extortion and exploiting public office for personal gain.

Sisi stressed his backing of Saudi Arabia and other Persian-Gulf Arab states, which have showered Egypt with aid ever since the general-turned-president led the military’s ouster of former President Mohamed Mursi of the Muslim Brotherhood in 2013 following mass protests.

Lebanon has been thrust to the center of regional rivalry between Saudi Arabia and Iran since the Saudi-allied Lebanese politician Saad al-Hariri quit as prime minister on Saturday, blaming Iran and Hezbollah in his resignation speech.

Hezbollah is both a military and a political organization that is represented in the Lebanese parliament and in the Hariri-led coalition government formed last year.

Its powerful guerrilla army is widely seen as stronger than the Lebanese army, and has played a major role in the war in neighboring Syria, another theater of Saudi-Iranian rivalry where Hezbollah has fought in support of the Syrian government.

COY ON ELECTION
Sisi was elected a year after he ousted Mursi and his first four-year term ends next year. He would not be drawn on when he would announce a re-election bid, although he is widely expected to run and win. He hinted at doing so by February.

“I have to present achievements over the past four years to Egyptians first, before saying whether I will run or not. I will do this over the next two months, December and January, and based on their response I will reach a position on running.”

One candidate has already declared his intention to challenge Sisi. Rights lawyer Khaled Ali announced his 2018 bid on Monday in a speech criticizing Sisi’s administration; accusing it of suppressing freedoms and causing deteriorating economic and security conditions.

Egypt’s economy has been struggling to recover since a 2011 uprising scared away tourists and investors, two main sources of foreign currency, but a three-year International Monetary Fund program is expected to help restore confidence.

The IMF program is tied to harsh reforms, chief of which was the central bank’s decision to float the pound currency last year, which halved its value from 8.8 to the dollar to almost 18. Sisi said on Wednesday he expected the pound to rally in the near future.

“I expect that the exchange rate will strengthen in the coming period, because all the problems that created the crisis over the past few years before the float, I believe, have been solved,” he said.

Tourism, a major source of hard currency, took a massive hit in 2015 when Russia suspended flights to Egypt, after Islamic State blew a plane out of the air that took off from Sharm al-Sheikh, the Red Sea resort in which Sisi was speaking on Wednesday, killing all 224 people, mostly Russians, on board.

Sisi said he was not pressing the Russian government to restore flights because he understood its need to protect its citizens.

“I have never, and will never, insist on the restoration of flights,” he said.

MILITANT THREAT
He said security forces were making significant gains against militants, however. The military had captured a foreign fighter in a raid it carried out against militants responsible for a deadly attack on a police convoy in Egypt’s Western Desert last month, he said.

Three security sources said at the time that at least 52 police officers and conscripts were killed on Oct. 21 when their patrol came under attack, but the interior ministry rebutted the figure the next day and said only 16 policemen had been killed.

A new militant group with links to al Qaeda claimed responsibility for attack last week.

The foreign militant is the sole survivor of the raid and his confession would be revealed to the public soon, Sisi said.

The Western Desert, which spans Egypt’s more than 1,200 kilometre (745 miles) border with Libya, is a new battlefront for security forces, who have been fighting Islamic State militants in the Sinai Peninsula since 2013.

Sisi did not specify the fighter’s nationality but the porous border with Libya has been used to smuggle people and weapons regularly.

When asked about his support for Khalifa Haftar, the eastern Libyan commander whose Libyan National Army has been fighting Islamist militant groups and other fighters in Benghazi and Derna for more than two years, Sisi said it did not mean he opposed the U.N.-backed Tripoli-based government, even though Haftar and his supporters reject it.

“Our support for Haftar is in line with the constants of Egyptian policy; we support a political solution and our backing of Haftar is not at the expense of Fayez Seraj’s government.”

Reporting by Ahmed Aboulenein and Malak Ghobrial; Writing by Ahmed Aboulenein; Editing by Samia Nakhoul and Lisa Shumaker

Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Source, Reuters.

He backs Saudis while he knows that they are meddling in Lebanese internal affairs.

BTW, his efforts for making peace in the region is welcome. @raptor22 Ale-Saud paid for Israeli attack on Lebanon, it is proved already. I wonder What is the guy talking about? Is Egypt supposed to be an enemy of Israel? I'm just confused.

He backs Saudis while he knows that they are meddling in Lebanese internal affairs.

BTW, his efforts for making peace in the region is welcome. @raptor22 Ale-Saud paid for Israeli attack on Lebanon, it is proved already. I wonder What is the guy talking about? Is Egypt supposed to be an enemy of Israel? I'm just confused.
I don't know, as he says he doesn't want war but also he needs Saudi money. as we say:
یکی به میخ میزنه یکی به نعل
I think after a while Saudis would conclude the same policy esp after seeing what happened in Lebanon. Maybe they expected chaos and political turmoil but in contrary all Lebanese insisted on Harrir return and called out for unity even Hezboallah put all differences aside and supported Harriri and cabinet.

photo_2017-11-11_08-09-42.jpg

And be sure abducting another country prime minister would burn your trump cards in the country so either they want to go suicidal or finally would come to sense:

Department Press Briefing - November 9, 2017

MS NAUERT: Okay. So I addressed the part of U.S. citizens who may be there. I want to mention that our charge d’affaires, who’s serving in Saudi Arabia – his name is Chris Henzel – he met with Prime Minister Hariri yesterday, so had a chance to speak with him. I cannot provide you with a readout of that conversation or any specifics of it, but we have seen him. In terms of the conditions of him being held or the conversations between Saudi Arabia and the Prime Minister Hariri, I would have to refer you to the Government of Saudi Arabia and also to Mr. Hariri’s office.

QUESTION: Sorry. You said the conditions of him being held. Is he in detention?

MS NAUERT: Well, I’m not going to put that word – I’m not going to associate that word with it. But where he is right now --

QUESTION: Where is he? Does he have a nice room at the Ritz Carlton? (Laughter.)

MS NAUERT: I can’t – I don’t know personally where he is.

QUESTION: Or is he at another --

MS NAUERT: I’ve heard different reports; I can’t confirm where he is. But where he is right now --

QUESTION: Well, where did the charge meet him?

MS NAUERT: He met him – I don’t think I’m --

QUESTION: Don’t say he --

MS NAUERT: I don’t think I’m permitted to say that, but I will double-check on that.

Okay. Yeah, hold on.

QUESTION: So in your view, is he free to leave? Is he free to go back to Lebanon, submit his resignation?

MS NAUERT: For that – listen, I have not had a chance to talk to our charge about that meeting. A lot of this is going to be under sensitive, private, diplomatic conversations right now because it’s a sensitive time, as I’m sure you can understand. So they had a meeting. I can just confirm that meeting; I don’t have the details to provide you, and I will see if I can double-check and find out where exactly that may --​

I don't know, as he says he doesn't want war but also he needs Saudi money. as we say:
یکی به میخ میزنه یکی به نعل
I think after a while Saudis would conclude the same policy esp after seeing what happened in Lebanon. Maybe they expected chaos and political turmoil but in contrary all Lebanese insisted on Harrir return and called out for unity even Hezboallah put all differences aside and supported Harriri and cabinet.

View attachment 436321

And be sure abducting another country prime minister would burn your trump cards in the country so either they want to go suicidal or finally would come to sense:

Department Press Briefing - November 9, 2017

MS NAUERT: Okay. So I addressed the part of U.S. citizens who may be there. I want to mention that our charge d’affaires, who’s serving in Saudi Arabia – his name is Chris Henzel – he met with Prime Minister Hariri yesterday, so had a chance to speak with him. I cannot provide you with a readout of that conversation or any specifics of it, but we have seen him. In terms of the conditions of him being held or the conversations between Saudi Arabia and the Prime Minister Hariri, I would have to refer you to the Government of Saudi Arabia and also to Mr. Hariri’s office.

QUESTION: Sorry. You said the conditions of him being held. Is he in detention?

MS NAUERT: Well, I’m not going to put that word – I’m not going to associate that word with it. But where he is right now --

QUESTION: Where is he? Does he have a nice room at the Ritz Carlton? (Laughter.)

MS NAUERT: I can’t – I don’t know personally where he is.

QUESTION: Or is he at another --

MS NAUERT: I’ve heard different reports; I can’t confirm where he is. But where he is right now --

QUESTION: Well, where did the charge meet him?

MS NAUERT: He met him – I don’t think I’m --

QUESTION: Don’t say he --

MS NAUERT: I don’t think I’m permitted to say that, but I will double-check on that.

Okay. Yeah, hold on.

QUESTION: So in your view, is he free to leave? Is he free to go back to Lebanon, submit his resignation?

MS NAUERT: For that – listen, I have not had a chance to talk to our charge about that meeting. A lot of this is going to be under sensitive, private, diplomatic conversations right now because it’s a sensitive time, as I’m sure you can understand. So they had a meeting. I can just confirm that meeting; I don’t have the details to provide you, and I will see if I can double-check and find out where exactly that may --​
So we should support Hariri too.
Free Hariri :)

For your and others knowledge, the meddling of KSA in Lebanese affairs was totally different from what you are pretending:
- The Lebanese civil war was stopped in Taif (KSA) with a huge effort by Saudi Arabia and the Arab league
- KSA has poured in more than $70 billion dollars to rebuild Lebanon..everything was successful until the Assassination of This current Saad Harriri's father..

So stop your unfounded propaganda please..

Last edited:
One candidate has already declared his intention to challenge Sisi. Rights lawyer Khaled Ali announced his 2018 bid on Monday

And the poor guy has about -99.999% chance of winning. Emphasis on the -. But it's nice to see other candidates go up against Sisi and give the Egyptian people some choices at least.

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi said on Wednesday he was against military strikes on Iran or the Tehran-backed Lebanese group Hezbollah, saying there was enough turmoil in the Middle East.

And he's 100% right. We need stability in the region and disagreements need to be worked out peacefully without any wars or military confrontations of any kind. Diplomacy is always the best solution.

Couple of things that article is a little bit off on TBH. While the devaluation of the Egyptian pound has indeed made it more difficult for Egyptians, it had to be done in order to stabilize the economy to help it rebound and eventually curb the rate of inflation. Also foreign investments have surged just in the past year alone as well as the foreign reserve has bounced back with a record year in 2016. Suez Canal revenues have done very well and domestic projects are on a record high that hasn't been seen even in the best of Mubarak years.

Sisi's work with the reconciliation of Hamas and the PA is historic and hopefully it will force Israel to come to the table, so give him credit for that.

Other things that he's done with foreign relations that have worked out pretty well, between the US, Europe, Russia and China.

Terrorism is a big problem there's no doubt about that and he's just gonna have to fight through it until all the vermin have been eradicated.

His human rights record needs serious overhauling, there's no question about that. The list of abuses is pretty serious and he needs to fix that part big time so Egypt can have some semblance of democracy.

For your and others knowledge, the meddling of KSA in Lebanese affairs was totally different from what you are pretending:
- The Lebanese civil war was stoppedin Taif (KSA) with a huge effort by Saudi Arabia and the Arab league
- KSA has poured in more than $70 billion dollars to rebuild Lebanon..everything was successful until the Assassination of This current Saad Harriri's father..

So stop your unfounded propaganda please..
Hariri resigned in a foreign country. KSA is meddling in their internal affairs. Are you saying that day is dark but night is shiny?

Hariri resigned in a foreign country. KSA is meddling in their internal affairs. Are you saying that day is dark but night is shiny?
He flew Lebanon..that is the obvious..he holds the Saudi citizenship too for a reason..So that was his destination..Hezbollah controls most power in Lebanon, so what's the purpose of Harriri there?

Last edited:
He flew Lebanon..that is the obvious..he holds the Saudi citizenship too for a reason..So that was his destination//Hezbollah controls most power in Lebanon, so what's the purpose of Harriri there?
Hezbollah granted a seat of cabinet to Hariri's party and reduced her own seats to 5 from 7 seats in the cabinet only to reduce tensions.

You will be wasted on a crippled monarchy , طاغوت , FYIhiding the truth is a sin. Lebanese people never asked for their filthy money.

Hezbollah granted a seat of cabinet to Hariri's party and reduced her own seats to 5 from 7 seats in the cabinet only to reduce tensions.

You will be wasted on a crippled monarchy , طاغوت , FYIhiding the truth is a sin. Lebanese people never asked for their filthy money.
Well, you just proved that Hezbollah is controlling power in Lebanon!?
And it was your filthy crippled mind that was going to rebuild Lebanon.. you are obviously ignorant of the extent of the destruction of Lebanon after the civil war..

Well, you just proved that Hezbollah is controlling power in Lebanon!?
And it was your filthy crippled mind that was going to rebuild Lebanon.. you are obviously ignorant of the extent of the destruction of Lebanon after the civil war..
What do you know of Lebanese parties and government?

Please go to wikipedia and learn that how they have fragmented power among everyone of parties and religions. Christians, and Muslims (Shia and Sunni).

Hezbollah is a pain in Israel's ....

You are slowly aligning yourself with Saudis, mashallah LOL, tomorrow you will support Israel and i'm not gonna wonder to watch someone is being exploited by Saudi lies.

No need for personal attack, Lebanese people are not beggars. That was the point, don't compare them with yourself and your own mindset.

I personally do not support any ill adviced , adventure specially not against a peaceful country like Syria or Iran

Enough is enough , illogical bombing on Yamen , Syria and now talks of Lebnoon or iran rediculous​

What do you know of Lebanese parties and government?

Please go to wikipedia and learn that how they have fragmented power among everyone of parties and religions. Christians, and Muslims (Shia and Sunni).

Hezbollah is a pain in Israel's ....

You are slowly aligning yourself with Saudis, mashallah LOL, tomorrow you will support Israel and i'm not gonna wonder to watch someone is being exploited by Saudi lies.

No need for personal attack, Lebanese people are not beggars. That was the point, don't compare them with yourself and your own mindset.
How much did you pour in to rebuild Lebanon.. go take lessons in Wiki about the Lebanese economy first ..and you are talking to A Saudi if you did not know it before.. just keep your rant for yourself..you better just post articles and refrain from ignorant comments..they make you look like an extremist Iranian cyber warrior..with an agenda..

How much did you pour in to rebuild Lebanon.. go take lessons in Wiki about the Lebanese economy first ..and you are talking to A Saudi if you did not know it before.. just keep your rant for yourself..you better just post articles and refrain from ignorant comments..they make you look like an extremist Iranian cyber warrior..with an agenda..
Ok, You are a Saudi, but don't say it in Canada. You know what's gonna happen after announcing it. Extremism is something that has been presented by Saudis to Islamic world.

Back
Top Bottom