What's new

Educational...........

Umair Nawaz

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Have you ever wondered why authors write? Sometimes they are inspired to create stories. Other times they write to provide information about an interesting topics. Some authors write to convince us about something. Whatever the circumstances, authors have reasons for writing; this is called, the ''author's purpose.'' The three most common types of author's purpose are:

.To Entertain.
.To Inform.
.To Persuade.

Then there is a fourth one called To Inspire.

To Entertain:
Think about the last time a story made you laugh, cry, or tremble with fright? These types of stories are written with a particular purpose in mind: to entertain the reader/viewer if its a film. Authors/writers write many kinds of stories to entertain, including humorous fiction, realistic fiction, fantasy, fairy tales and fables.

To Inform:
While fiction entertains, non fiction has a different purpose. Many non fiction writings or texts are written with the purpose of giving information about concerned topics. Authors/writers who write/make a film to inform must research their subject to ensure that they convey accurate information to the reader. Some examples of texts that inform are encyclopedia entries, news articles, expository non fiction books and interviews. All of these types of writing give information about certain topics.

To Persuade:
This is very important, Sometimes authors write because they want to convince their readers about something. This is called argumentative or persuasive, writing. Oftentimes, texts that are meant to persuade use specific techniques to make the readers care about the subject and to think about it in a certain way. These techniques might be found in Indian Media's way of broadcasting news/articles/films, letters to the editor, argumentative essays, or persuasive speeches example of this is the American President's speech in UN general assembly 2013.

Next time you read a text, watch a film or hear speeches, see if you can figure what the author/writer/speaker is trying to tell you. It might be easier than you think. Just ask yourself: what is the author's purpose?

Now Some Questions to the readers.

1) Now figure out what my purpose of this thread is........

A. To Persuade
B. To Convince
C. To Entertain
D. To Inform

2) Based on the To Inform paragraph in the passage, it can be understood that the word CONVEY belongs to which of the following word groups?

A. Document, Chronicle, Note
B. Communicate, Pass on, Relay
C. Hide, Obscure, Cover
D. Detect, Locate, Discover

5) According to the passage, texts that are meant to persuade often

A. Do not get as much attention as texts that entertain or inform
B. Are very entertaining because they convince readers to laugh
C. Use specific techniques to make the reader care about the subject
D. Require a lot of research in order to ensure accuracy of information.

Last edited:
haha idea collected from: http://www.englishforeveryone.org/PDFs/Grade_8_Assessment_1.pdf

And my answers for this thread are:

1. To Inform
2. Communicate, Pass on, Relay
5. Use specific techniques to make the reader care about the subject

and one important thing is missing I think, which is the Authors also write just "To Express and Share" his thoughts.

haha idea collected from: http://www.englishforeveryone.org/PDFs/Grade_8_Assessment_1.pdf

1. To Inform

and one important thing is missing I think, which is the Authors also write just "To Express and Share" his thoughts.
Key word his thoughts...Hence, the endless number of rubbish articles we get today :rofl:

1. To Inform

Yup the idea is from there....This was shared so that the members dont get misguided by media and texts. The must know whats coming.

Back
Top Bottom