What's new

E&M contract awarded for 1410MW Tarbela Project

RAMPAGE

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Tarbela_Dam,_KPK,_Pakistan.jpg

Lahore - The Pakistan Water & Power Development Authority (WAPDA), after approval of the World Bank, has awarded the contract of $312 million to a consortium for electro-mechanical works of the 1410-MW Tarbela 4th Extension Hydropower Project. The consortium comprises of two internationally renowned companies namely Voith Hydro of Germany and Voith Hydro Shanghai of China.
The agreement was signed here at WAPDA House. Project Director Tarbela 4th Extension Hydropower Project and Chief Executive Officers of the both firms signed the agreement on behalf of WAPDA and the consortium respectively.
Chairman WAPDA, Syed Raghib Abbas Shah, Members of the Authority and other senior officers were also present on the occasion. It is pertinent to mention that the civil works of the project are already underway. The project has been scheduled to be completed in three and a half years at an estimated cost of $928 million. The World Bank is providing $840 million for the project.
Tarbela 4th Extension Hydropower Project is a part of least-cost electricity generation strategy of the Federal Government being implemented by WAPDA on priority. This strategy reflects the Federal Government’s commitment to add a sizeable quantum of hydel electricity to the national grid.

E&M contract awarded for 1410MW Tarbela Project

@Jazzbot @Leader

Kaam chaloo hai ;)

Start work on Extension 5 as soon as possible too. These are cheap and quick to develop. Aprox. $900 million for 1410 MW is extremely good!

Start work on Extension 5 as soon as possible too. These are cheap and quick to develop. Aprox. $900 million for 1410 MW is extremely good!

Not necessarily. However the benefit is there nonetheless, but in an indirect way.

I do not have any references, but I am quite sure that the current extension would be operative only when there is enough water available to run it. The yearly operation would probably be limited to 3-4 months (End-May to Mid-September, I think). This is the time of year when we need electricity the most. Plus it would be available at very little operative cost.

So the proper way to account for utilization, and hence benefit would be to calculate GW-Hr units to see Return on Investment, etc... But regardless of any numbers, I can tell this is very important for us. We should get a 5th extension installed too, and pronto.

I think fast track process for Extension was mentioned in news as something in violation of procurement rules. So there is something going on there...

Not necessarily. However the benefit is there nonetheless, but in an indirect way.

I do not have any references, but I am quite sure that the current extension would be operative only when there is enough water available to run it. The yearly operation would probably be limited to 3-4 months (End-May to Mid-September, I think). This is the time of year when we need electricity the most. Plus it would be available at very little operative cost.

So the proper way to account for utilization, and hence benefit would be to calculate GW-Hr units to see Return on Investment, etc... But regardless of any numbers, I can tell this is very important for us. We should get a 5th extension installed too, and pronto.

I think fast track process for Extension was mentioned in news as something in violation of procurement rules. So there is something going on there...

The violation if I am not mistaking is due to direct award of the contract to Chinese firms but in return they are willing to fund the project (along with many other important projects), the financial state we are in, we might not be able to harness these potentials on our own. So I believe we should go ahead and not hinder projects in favor of procedural debate while the economy slowly dies for want of investment and energy.

Additionally, Hydel is not a baseload power source, we need to biuld coal based powerplants for that. But during the months when they will produce power, it will be the cheapest source.

Good step and we also need to construct new dams

Back
Top Bottom