What's new

Dubai pardons Norwegian woman accused of adultery

why have any court, punish anybody, we can all wait for judgement day...
the reason society codifies such laws is for smooth running of society, surely law evolves, new info comes or social attitude changes.

The current technology has enabled us to figure out whether rape happened or not in many cases, but benefit of doubt should always be given to accused. If there are gray areas and one cannot conclusively prove, the guy (or girl if she raped :) ) should be freed.

The current technology enables us to find out if "intercourse" happened or not.

What it does not tell is if intercourse happened willingly or not.

I would also like if you could make some reasonable suggestions as to how this particular law may be exercised.
For example Murder required witnesses and solid proof, as does theft, and other crimes.

How do you suggest rape be treated in a case such as the one in UAE ?

I really love how the title of the topic changed :D dont know who did it but MANY THANKS TO YOU :smitten:

Will they pardon if woman belonged to non-white country. heck nooooooo
after the pardon amir of Dubai took her in his haram and showed her how to do it in a non-adulterated ways

I really love how the title of the topic changed :D dont know who did it but MANY THANKS TO YOU :smitten:

It's alright, The UAE respects western culture, count on me for that.

I just want to make one point please, the young lady should have been honest and transparent with the authority for her own good.

In short, she lied to the authority about what took place. Diverting the story from been a victim of rape, to have a consensual sex, while she was under the influence of alcohol!!!

Pathetic

Because it is the UAE, anything less than a video recorded statement would be as good as any other lie by the authorities. Only fools would believe them.

It depends on how to define social and sexual oppression, but I understand what you are trying to say. Some societies have their own code if conducts.

Personally, I respect everyone's culture as long as it won't cause a damage at the expense of the others.
i hate men who oppress their women, sexually or otherwise..

i also hate any government that practices terrorism. hamas practices terrorism to this day, with those rockets of theirs. may all your stockpiles go up in flames before use.

As far as i know, The Netherlands doesn't consider Hamas as a legitimate Gov't, and a terrorist organization at the same time right?

I dislike Hamas a lot man, but the young generation of the Palestinians in the West Bank are amazing.

Because it is the UAE, anything less than a video recorded statement would be as good as any other lie by the authorities. Only fools would believe them.

You are entitled to believe them or disbelieve them.

The current technology enables us to find out if "intercourse" happened or not.

What it does not tell is if intercourse happened willingly or not.

I would also like if you could make some reasonable suggestions as to how this particular law may be exercised.
For example Murder required witnesses and solid proof, as does theft, and other crimes.

How do you suggest rape be treated in a case such as the one in UAE ?

I was making a wider point about why there needs to be prosecution for something considered as crime, and we need to have a balance between what is considered 'reasonable proof' to consider that rape has occured.
What we should not do it make it absolutely impossible for any prosecution to happen or force people to hide that they have been raped.

In case of laws which requres 4 witness, the burden of proof is just too much. Slapping charges against the victim after she lost the case makes it difficult for any victim to come forward.

It's the correct title. She was convicted for her statements (admitting crimes), not because she was raped. She later retrackted again those statements, but would get a new court appeal in september for that. The conviction was for this:

The Dubai Misdemeanour Court handed Marte Deborah Dalelv, a three-month imprisonment for falsely reporting to police that she was raped, a month’s imprisonment for drinking and 12 months for having consensual sex.

It's the correct title. She was convicted for her statements (admitting crimes), not because she was raped. She later retrackted again those statements, but would get a new court appeal in september for that. The conviction was for this:

are you really thai? some of your earlier posts suggest otherwise..

Wasnt Dubai trying to be a financial hotspot or something...

Well goodluck with that, such retarded thinking they won't be able to attract the street hookers from Europe forget the investment bankers.

What about the Sudanese?

July 22, 2013

Norwegian woman in Dubai sex case is pardoned

Norwegian Marte Deborah Dalelv had been imprisoned for falsely reporting a rape, drinking and and having consensual sex

A Norwegian woman at the centre of a sex case in Dubai has been pardoned, her lawyer confirmed to Gulf News.

The lawyer of 24-year-old Marte Deborah Dalelv told Gulf News that he and his client went to the Dubai Public Prosecution office today, where they were informed that the Dubai government had granted her a pardon.

Mahmoud Azad Abu Gareda said Marte’s 33-year-old Sudanese boss, H.A., who was jailed for 13 months for consuming liquor and having consensual sex, had also been pardoned.

Following the pardon, Abu Gareda said Dalelv has dropped an earlier appeal against the primary verdict.

The lawyer said they are approaching immigration officials to get the violations against Marte cancelled and arrange for her departure from the country, considering that she has received her passport back.

A confirmation from Essam Al Humaidan, Dubai Attorney General, could not be obtained.

Earlier, the Dubai Misdemeanour Court handed Marte a three-month imprisonment for falsely reporting to police that she was raped, a month’s imprisonment for drinking and 12 months for having consensual sex.

When she appeared in the courtroom, she admitted to drinking alcohol but denied having consensual sex and falsely reporting to police that she was raped on March 6.

Norwegian woman in Dubai sex case is pardoned | GulfNews.com

---------------------

Let us see what more venom will be spewed in this case by the western media.

Bravo , Dubai police , they're not acting like a 3rd world country , say iran for example , she lied and they jailed her for her lie.

She listened to the advice of her former boss and changed the statement from being a victim of rape to having consensual sex thinking that she won't get punished and hence the punishment was for having consensual sex. She was stupid to listen to that advice and get into more trouble.

@Al Bhatti, strange turn of events. Forensics may have already confirmed that the act was consensual yet she changed her story. Either she was stupid or her laywers were.

“According to the forensic examiner’s testimony before the court, she did not completely eliminate the probability of rape claiming that Dalelv could have been raped while she slept. Although the forensic report did not confirm any rape, the examiner’s probability matched my client’s claim that H.A. raped her while she slept. We also asked the court to refer the case to the public prosecution for a re-investigation into Dalelv ’s rape claims,” argued the advocate.

Abu Gareda told Gulf News that he will adopt the same defence argument before the Appeal Court when it convenes in September.

But they could not take any measure as her statement was that she had consensual sex. Stupid of her to change the statement in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 22, 2013

WEBna23jl-marte_new.jpg

Marte Dalelv in her room at the Norwegian Seamen’s Centre in Bur Dubai, which was her haven during the trial and initial sentencing. She is now a free woman.

Pardoned Norwegian woman in Dubai rape claim case 'overwhelmed' by freedom

A woman sentenced to imprisonment for sex out of wedlock after she withdrew an allegation of rape was pardoned yesterday.

“My first emotion was that I was free,” said Marte Deborah Dalelv, 24, an interior designer from Norway who lives and works in Qatar.

“I don’t think people understand how much being free really means and when I got my passport back, I just had the overwhelming feeling that I’m free.”

Ms Dalelv initially told police she had been raped by a colleague in his hotel room after a night out during a business trip to Dubai in March. She later retracted the rape claim and said the sex had been consensual.

She was charged with having sex outside marriage, drinking alcohol and making false statements to police, and spent three days in prison.

She was found guilty last Tuesday and sentenced to 16 months in jail, but was released on bail pending an appeal in September.

She was pardoned yesterday by Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid, the Vice President and Ruler of Dubai.

“I was told the Ruler of Dubai pardoned me, that I was a free woman,” Ms Dalelv said. “They also dropped all charges and the deportation charge so I’m grateful for that. It’s been a very difficult time.”

Her colleague H M, 33, from Sudan, who was sentenced to a year in prison for consensual sex and a month for consumption of alcohol, is also thought to have been pardoned. By law, a pardon must be extended to all those convicted in a case.

Ms Dalelv says she retracted the allegation of rape on the advice of an employee of her company, who told her it would be difficult to prove, and withdrawing it would help her to leave the UAE.

“They advised me it was a very difficult case and nobody was going to believe me,” Ms Dalelv said.

“I took their advice but after I left the public prosecutor’s office I was crying. I felt it was almost as bad as what had happened because I had to go against everything I believed and I believed in telling the truth.”

Ms Dalelv’s employers in Qatar, Al Mana Interiors, deny that she was advised to change her report to police. “This was not true,” a spokesman said.

The company fired her on April 7 on the ground of “unacceptable and improper behaviour during a business trip in Dubai … that was in direct violation of the company policy.” They say the decision had nothing to do with the rape allegation.

Ms Dalelv’s case has attracted global attention, with more than 50,000 people supporting a Facebook page appealing for her release.

The Norwegian ambassador, Ase Elin Bjerke, who was with Ms Dalelv at the public prosecutor’s office when the pardon was announced, said: “She is able to leave the UAE whenever she wants and is also free to come back. It has been difficult for her.

She is a good, talented girl and very mature.

“We are very happy with the dialogue we have had with the UAE from the political level over the last week. We will continue to work with the UAE and we are grateful this pardon was given during Ramadan.”

Ms Dalelv has been living at the Norwegian Seamen’s Centre while the case proceeded through the courts, and her family and friends have visited Dubai to support her. She said the experience had changed her.

“I have learnt so much about family and friends,” she said. “I have met some incredible people and some of them have saved my life and would have done anything for me. This has really taught me a big lesson about life, that it’s the little things that matter.”

Ms Dalelv said she also learnt that she should have called the embassy when she reported the rape to the police.

“Back in Norway we are always trained with three numbers to call – the police, fire department and hospitals – when in a crisis, and I was in shock and so I called the police,” she said.

“But maybe if I had contacted the embassy someone would have given me advice.”

Pardoned Norwegian woman in Dubai rape claim case 'overwhelmed' by freedom - The National

Jul 23, 2013

Facts behind the headlines of the Marte Deborah Dalelv Dubai sex case

It is a case that made headlines around the world; headlines that almost without exception disparaged the UAE's legal system and the way it treats female victims of sexual assault.

"Dubai imprisons Norwegian woman who reported rape" wrote USA Today. Other media outlets, from Europe to Australia, took the same theme. "Raped Norwegian woman jailed in Dubai" was typical.

But a closer examination reveals that even after yesterday's decision to pardon Marte Dalelv, this remains a complex case filled with ambiguities and unanswered questions.

One thing, though, is clear - agreed on not just by the authorities and the police, but by the woman herself: legally, this was not a rape case.

Records of the trial seen by The National provide the most detailed account of the case yet. They also suggest that after Ms Dalelv's retraction of the rape allegations, the authorities had little alternative but to proceed with a prosecution for sex outside marriage and a minimum one-year prison sentence.

In her own words, according to the prosecution, she said: "I told police he raped me while I was still under the influence of alcohol, but I then changed that and I confirm that he did not rape me, but had sex with me with my consent."

In that one sentence, she admitted to not just extramarital sex, but also making a false report, again an offence that automatically carries a prison term, and consuming alcohol illegally.

According to the transcript, Ms Dalelv made the initial complaint of rape early on March 7. A resident of Qatar, she had flown to Dubai for a business meeting.

She told police she had been drinking the previous night at a hotel nightclub on Sheikh Zayed Road with colleagues from her company in Qatar, including HM, 33, a Sudanese man who is married and has three children.

She told the questioning police officer: "I had three glasses of vodka, one mojito and a beer while we were at the club, and I asked HM to protect me from molestation attempts."

In the same account she tells of settling her bill at about 3am, then taking a cab with colleagues, including HM, to the Holiday Inn in Al Safa where they were staying.

In Ms Dalelv's account, she asked HM to take her to her room, but he suggested they stay in his so that he could wake her in time for a morning business meeting.

Photographs from the hotel's closed-circuit TV camera, which were produced in court, show Ms Dalelv entering HM's room with her arm around his waist in one shot, and resting her head on his shoulder in another.

In her account, she then removed her clothes except for her underwear and slept in the bed with HM on a sofa.

Her account stated she woke up at 7.30am "feeling pain", with the man "on top of me having sex with me".

"I tried to push him away several times but he continued what he was doing for about four minutes," she continued.

Afterwards Ms Dalelv says she screamed at her attacker when he went to wash himself, then went to reception where the police were called.

She claims that the officers were all male, that she was given a medical examination for evidence of rape, tested for alcohol and then held in custody for three days.

The account of HM - who has also been pardoned after being sentenced to a year in prison for sex outside of marriage - contests that Ms Dalelv tried to seduce him by rubbing her body against his and making "intimate noises".

He says in his statement that following sex and after washing himself: "I found her crying and asking me why I had raped her."

Six days later, on March 12, Ms Dalelv returned to the police and retracted the allegation of rape, saying that she had made the initial complaint "because I was under the influence of alcohol".

Exactly why Ms Dalelv decided to change her account is still unclear.

In an interview with CNN, she says she began to suspect that the police did not believe her story after her first interview and was advised by a manager at her company that if she admitted the sex was consensual "it would all go away".

A spokesman for the company, Al Mana Interiors of Qatar, has denied this.

He said the suggestion came in Arabic from a police officer and that its representative acted simply as a translator.

Ms Dalelv has yet to give a more full account of what happened in the six days between her claim of rape and her retraction.

On April 9, the company terminated her employment for "unacceptable and improper behaviour", adding in a statement on Sunday that it had been "supportive and communicative" until she "ceased communication" with them.

Her sacking, it added, had nothing to do with the rape allegations.

Her colleague has also lost his job.

If, indeed, Ms Dalelv did believe changing her story would end the matter, it was a catastrophic miscalculation, leaving her defenceless for the eventual court hearing last week in which she was given a year for consensual sex, a month for filing a false report and three months for illegally consuming alcohol - all crimes to which she had effectively admitted.

The pardon means Ms Dalelv will no longer have to wait for her appeal in September to hope for freedom.

But it also means that what happened in that hotel room in March will remain a subject for conjecture and speculation, rather than a simple case of laws that were broken.

Facts behind the headlines of the Marte Deborah Dalelv Dubai sex case - The National

Back
Top Bottom