DRDO says it has capability to produce VVIP choppers

Srinivas

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India

DRDO-says-it-ha20340.jpg

New Delhi, Feb 20: With the deal for procuring VVIP choppers from AgustaWestland facing the prospect of being scrapped, DRDO today said it has the capability to manufacture such helicopters even though he contended that producing anything entirely indigenously was impractical.
“We have capability to manufacture any system. We are manufacturing LCH (Light Compact Helicopter). We have already manufactured ALH (Advanced Light Helicopter) and our own aircraft,” DRDO Chief V K Saraswat told PTI.

“There is no dearth of capability and capacity of manufacturing any advanced technology system,” he said.

Saraswat was asked on the sidelines of a seminar here whether DRDO is capable of manufacturing choppers such as AgustaWestland AW-1O1.

His statement assumes significance against the backdrop of controversy surrounding the Rs 3600 crore deal for acquiring 12 helicopters from AgustaWestland for the use of Indian VVIPs.

The Defence Ministry has initiated the process of scrapping the deal in the wake of allegations that kickbacks to the tune of Rs 362 crore were paid to bag the contract.

Saraswat said it is not cost effective to produce each and everything right from needle to an aircraft in the country.

“Because, if you produce some thing which we need 20 numbers and you start producing at setting up a facility for producing which will cost 1000 crores, it is meaningless,” he said.

“So, in a global world, in a global economy today, this concept of 100 per cent indiginisation—everything to be done in-house—is wrong,” Saraswat said.

A nightmare was revealed recently when Defence Minister A K Antony ordered the Comptroller General of Defence Audit (CGDA) to do a secret audit of India’s equivalent of the futuristic workshop of James Bond’s ‘Q’ — the Defence Research and Development Organisation that goes by the handle DRDO.

The highlights of the report are frightening. Here are some of them:

* DRDO has been developing equipment which is either sub-standard or have extended deadlines and additional budgets;

* Many of the projects have been sanctioned without the requisite government approval. Only 10 per cent of projects have come to the ministry for clearance;

* Corruption and nepotism exists in the upper echelons;

* There is an exodus of qualified scientists; :
DRDO has challenged the findings but the Ministry of Defence (MoD) has taken cognisance of them.

If you get successful DRDO, then these ministers need to be thrashed on their buttocks. saley chor log

This one time given the popularity of the ' VVIPs" I think the DRDO should go ahead & make them.

The funny thing is, DRDO would have nothing to do with it, because HAL would develop the IMRH! Just shows that V K Saraswat is the biggest show off that we have in the Indian industry and that he don't misses any chance to get infront of the media and claim BS.

Even if DRDO comes up with a helicopter for VVIPs, will it be able to convince them to use it. Its Indian for GOD SAKE:hitwall:. Indian ministers travelling in Indian helicopters. Gotta be biggest joke of century. Bhai hame toh foreign maal Chahiya he chahiye :bounce: Kyonki hum Ch****e hain

Good Lord!! Can someone devalop a system which will shut Saraswat's mouth!!

Yeah I can but will take 15 yrs. If sanctions are hit then might be longer. But surely it will be world class 5 generations ahead of current mouth shutting systems. Moreover it will be built in less than allocated budget. Promise :smokin:

Indian minsters are rich.They prefer something that President of USA rejects for high price. So I don't see any chance for DRDO to get a project thumbs up:lol:

I think everyone is being a little unfair here. My first reaction on seeing the headline was -"Great! Let the DRDO build choppers for the VIP's". I read the piece only to realise that Saraswat was asked a question by stupid journalists & he answered in the only way it can be answered. Notice that he said that it would be pointless for the DRDO to invest money making choppers for VIP's which would be limited in number required, he also pointed out that it was foolish in this day & age to try & do everything in house. I think that was the most encouraging comment from him so far & whatever his unnecessary tall talk elsewhere, this wasn't one of them.

Mr. Saraswat isn't satisfied with the Rs. 2.8 crore he embezzled last time, he is looking for a bigger share in the pie :coffee:

Back
Top Bottom