What's new

Does India need ACC Killer Version of Shaurya/ Agni 1?

IND151

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Hello friends

PRC has DF 21 ASBM with range of 2,700 KM

Now lets take Glance at Shaurya

Specifications
Weight 6.2 t (6.8 short tons)[2]
Length 10 m (33 ft)[3][2]
Diameter 0.74 m (2.4 ft)[2]
Warhead 180 to 1000 kg [7]
Engine Two stage, solid fueled rocket motors
Operational
range 700 km
[2][4] @ 1000 kg and 1900 km @ 180 kg [5][6]
Flight altitude 40 Km [2]

Shaurya_Missile.jpg

Sharya is canistered missile; easy to handle,transport.

Now lets take glance at Agni 1

Specifications
Weight 12,000 kg[5][3][6]
Length 15 m[5][3][6]
Diameter 1.0 m
[5][6]
Warhead Strategic nuclear (15 kT to 250 kT), conventional HE-unitary, penetration, sub-munitions, incendiary or fuel air explosives[/B]
Engine Single Stage
Operational
range 700-900 km [5][3]
Flight ceiling 370 km[6]
Flight altitude > 90 km

Speed 2.5 km/s (Agni-I)[5]
Guidance
system Ring Laser Gyro- INS (Inertial Navigation System), optionally augmented by GPS terminal guidance with possible radar scene correlation
Launch
platform 8 x 8 Tatra TELAR (Transporter erector launcher) Rail Mobile Launcher

2007100662140101.jpg

http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rc...34GIBQ&usg=AFQjCNGDMYj6kcOiPDNHzU1FXyzc5YkB5Q

http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rc...vIDYDg&usg=AFQjCNFd5F1kvqtj8mIL9ANie2V61CLgqQ

My question is Does India need ACC Killer Version of Shaurya/ Agni 1?

post your opinion members.

no, no ACC killer version is concern. & we also dont need that.

^^ what about a ACC killer with 700 km to 900 KM range and conventional warhead?

You already have the brahmos in the pipeline and which has been designed and optimized from the outset for that role.
No need to re-invent the wheel.

but aren't the Agni 1/ Shaurya better for this role?

Brahmos has 290 km range, Brahmos 2, though wont have range restriction, will come in 2017

on other hand Shaurya is already under tests

A 1 is already inducted and it can pack great punch with 1,000 KG payload ( Brahmos payload>300 KG)

these missiles, thus, can be converted in ACC killer, in relatively less time and cost

air-launched brahmos will fill this role(if someone is thinking about range restriction)..no need for new kind of missiles..Russians and Americas researched and found that ASBM is not a practical approach,ASCM is far better and practical.until China proves DF-21D is effective,no need to waste money.see,what Taiwan did is built their Carrier killer based on Cruise missile.

BrahMos range will be more than it is shown on Paper and it can work fine against AC's !! In few year's BrahMos will be capable to be launched from three platforms - Land,Air AND Water .....SLCM's and Ship launched Brahmos Along Air launched version can act as a deterrence against carriers

Don't know about India, but Pakistan certainly needs one. :undecided:

It is not just a case of having the missile, as the major part of the cost will be in acquiring the supporting targeting systems - land based radar, UAVs, AWACs and satellites.

It is very expensive and requires advanced technology to be able to achieve all this.

It is not just a case of having the missile, as the major part of the cost will be in acquiring the supporting targeting systems - land based radar, UAVs, AWACs and satellites.

It is very expensive and requires advanced technology to be able to achieve all this.

And frankly no one afford it.. not us.

Also, we don't need to acquire one.. cause our only competitor will have to cross the iron chains of Malacca before that ..

And frankly no one afford it.. not us.

Also, we don't need to acquire one.. cause our only competitor will have to cross the iron chains of Malacca before that ..

IOR has several choke points and we capture some of them..at those points,we can become naughty and play some dirty tricks there..ain't that the truth??? :devil: :devil:

^^ what about a ACC killer with 700 km to 900 KM range and conventional warhead?

CHINA developed DF-21 just becz they doesnt has the capability to counter the CBG of US-navy.
As far concern for INDIA, we dont have so immediate threat of USA & our ACC can take care of Chines one.

So development of ACC killer is just a waste of money. More than that I will go for LONG RANGE, HIGH SPEED CRUISE MISSILE(like HSTDV) as a base of ACC killer. I even cannot get that why they choose ballistic missile for that role.

India's carrier-killers, even if devised, are likely to have only one target - China.

Now China itself doesn't have a operational carrier to speak of, and if it finally gets one
(and that doesn't mean the Varyag that'll never be combat-capable) it is likely to be in
South or East seas against USN,,,such a deployment poses no real threat for India's interets,
atleast as of now.

When India develops a need to strike Chinese CBGs far away from IOR, the best thing to
convert into an ASBM is infact Agni-5. The A5 has got a range of 5,000km (some say 8,000km),
a terminal velocity of Mach 24 (DF-21D is only Mach 10-11), a CEP less than 25m (DF-21D is upto 50m),
and I'm hopeful India's satellite constellations over Indian Ocean and SouthEast Asia to provide
accurate guidance would be operational by the time this sort of need arises.

Secondly, for an effective Anti-carrier strike, you need a very manuevrable missile (a quasi-ballistic
missile) as it is Shaurya already has the capability, and Agni-5 may also have (according to a few
reports), it must be noted that both Agni-5 and Agni-3 have maneuverable warheads.

A long-range land-launched Agni-5CK will be an effective Indian aswer for DF-21D.

Thirdly, I believe the Sagarika K-15 may have already been an submarine-launched ASBM, becoz
I'm skeptical why they gave it a range of only 750-850km if it's purpose was merely land-attack, which
could be better done much far away from coast.

India's carrier-killers, even if devised, are likely to have only one target - China.

Now China itself doesn't have a operational carrier to speak of, and if it finally gets one
(and that doesn't mean the Varyag that'll never be combat-capable) it is likely to be in
South or East seas against USN,,,such a deployment poses no real threat for India's interets,
atleast as of now.

When India develops a need to strike Chinese CBGs far away from IOR, the best thing to
convert into an ASBM is infact Agni-5. The A5 has got a range of 5,000km (some say 8,000km),
a terminal velocity of Mach 24 (DF-21D is only Mach 10-11), a CEP less than 25m (DF-21D is upto 50m),
and I'm hopeful India's satellite constellations over Indian Ocean and SouthEast Asia to provide
accurate guidance would be operational by the time this sort of need arises.

Secondly, for an effective Anti-carrier strike, you need a very manuevrable missile (a quasi-ballistic
missile) as it is Shaurya already has the capability, and Agni-5 may also have (according to a few
reports), it must be noted that both Agni-5 and Agni-3 have maneuverable warheads.

A long-range land-launched Agni-5CK will be an effective Indian aswer for DF-21D.

Thirdly, I believe the Sagarika K-15 may have already been an submarine-launched ASBM, becoz
I'm skeptical why they gave it a range of only 750-850km if it's purpose was merely land-attack, which
could be better done much far away from coast.

just a minor correction Sagarika has a range of 750-1900 km n not 750-850 km its basically sub version of Shaurya so thats sufficient to counter Pak to some extent as coastal areas like Karachi n other Naval Bases can be easily targeted even from far range so it does serve the purpose of land attack BM for second strike.

Secondly, its very difficult to manufacture SLBMs due to height restriction as Arihant can load only a 10m missile even Agni I is 15m thats why we havn't seen k-4 n i think k-4 won't become operational till 2016 atleast
Hope now u got u now got the answer as to why we developed K-15:D

just a minor correction Sagarika has a range of 750-1900 km n not 750-850 km its basically sub version of Shaurya so thats sufficient to counter Pak to some extent as coastal areas like Karachi n other Naval Bases can be easily targeted even from far range so it does serve the purpose of land attack BM for second strike.

Secondly, its very difficult to manufacture SLBMs due to height restriction as Arihant can load only a 10m missile even Agni I is 15m thats why we havn't seen k-4 n i think k-4 won't become operational till 2016 atleast
Hope now u got u now got the answer as to why we developed K-15:D

Buddy, when we have a ship-launched missile like Nirbhay with 1,000km range, we don't need Sagarika submarine-launched land-attack missile with 750km (the >1900km range may not apply to the sea-launched version IMO, as I've found no mention of it thus far, even is yes, at that range it could carry a very low payload of just > 200kg for all that complicated launch sequence, Nirbhay can be launched from ships, subs, aircraft and can carry a much higher payload of around 850kg upto 1000km).

The development of K-15 with a max payload range of only 750km doesn't make real sense (atleast for me) if it's purpose is just land-attack. But if for anti-carrier missions,s its gonna be perfect, a sub like Arihant can easily sneak up 750km within a CBG and launch upto 12 such missiles at one go (if all its silos are fitted with Sagarika). Arihant, IMHO will be made to carry a combo of long-range K-4 SLBM (3,500+km) and atleast a few Sagarikas for anti-ship role against critical enemy targets, which may include even DDGs from PLAN should they enter IOR.

It's my thinking that atleast 1 of our 3 Arihant-class SSBNs would be outfitted this way.

Back
Top Bottom