What's new

Do Pak textbooks build a hate culture against India?

There is lot of difference when hate culture is nurtured from the childhood through text books and through media. While children don't have the discretion to decide what is good or bad are quite content playing their toys and watching cartoons. It is at this stage that contents of text books impress upon the outlook of the child and change their views about other people and countries in an irreversible manner.

That’s where I am coming up to .. That if really what you claim was there in our text books than why we have much less hate ? Why again I question, when USA is bombing us .. we are not having anti-conversion laws, we are not having nuns being raped, we are not having daily killing of our Christians ?

Why if you claim that hate is not preached in your text book than why you have this much of hatred & we even after being bombed daily don’t have.

Also you claim that Pakistan is teaching hatred, but neither myself who has studied from Pakistan nor our children who still study in Pakistan ever having this hatred.

In fact to put you correctly, we believe that Christians are our co-believers and we can marry amongst themselves including they called “Ahlay Kitab”.

I also realize that you have no reply to your anti-conversion laws nor rape & killings of Christian minority due to hatred towards their religion ?

That is very old news. It has been resisted and have been completely de-saffronised. Has it been done similarly in Pakistan?.

Oooh everything related to India is old news ? Why you might have changed in some states but surely the BJP states are keeping a different syllabus .. what about that ? Cause otherwise how could they be killing the minorities like lambs & chickens ! I mean the hatred which could lead to raping Nuns ! I mean nuns & burning them .. & I am not talking about one single event but with crowd ! & the perpetuators are running around scot free ! & again the best part .. Indians come to our forums & teach us about “hatred” hahaha .. ! Ulta choor, kotwal ko dant “Translation : A thief is shouting at the policemen !”

Israel protests Hitler praise in Indian schoolbooks

Israel protests Hitler praise in Indian schoolbooks
Expatica ^ | 11/11/05 | Expatica
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 5:09:12 AM by wagglebee
NEW DELHI - Israel is planning to protest a western Indian state's move to include references in school books that glorify Adolf Hitler, a news report said Friday.

The Israeli Embassy is planning to communicate its displeasure to Gujarat state, appalled that the school textbooks "sing praises" of Hitler, the Indian Express reported.
The state is ruled by the Hindu rightist Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
Israel's Consul general in Bombay, Daniel Zonshine said the representation of Hitler in Gujarat's textbooks was "misleading".
"Personally, I feel offended, and publicly, the representation has caused anger and unhappiness at the twisting of facts," Zonshine was quoted by the paper as saying.

Zonshine said the protest could include writing to the state government. "We are exploring options, coordinating and exchanging views on this."
He added Israel plans to get the support of Germany. "It could also be a joint effort with the German embassy," he said.
The controversy concerns a Class X text book of the Gujarat Education Board that is silent on the Holocaust and glorifies Hitler. In a section on "Internal achievements of Nazism", the school book states; "Hitler adopted a new economic policy and brought prosperity to Germany. He made untiring efforts to make Germany self reliant within one decade".

The Catholic Bishops Conference of India (CBCI) has also demanded the textbooks be withdrawn, stating the books are full of prejudices and hatred towards religious minorities.

This is what the Hindus in India are saying & teaching their cadres :

Not to mention unlike us the Hinduvta forums does not allow visitors ? Why something to hide inside ?

christian nuns claim false rape like a prostitute in India to paint Hindus in bad light

Even christian nuns claim false rape like a prostitute in India to paint Hindus in bad light

The criminalized christian church of India is seen stooping so low in morality that they are willing to claim rape of the christian nuns to defame the Hindus of India. These dastardly christians are a threat to India and show their true Syrian nature of treachery and deceit. The first lot of these traitors arrived in India from Syria as refugees in the fourth century and then on they are working as fifth column community in India. From Kerala this christian missionary virus has spread to Orissa and what we read about rape of a nun was from the imagination of the Kerala christians virus. How low these cretins can go to further the conversions was revealed in the fake rapes of the christian nuns in Orissa.

Rape of Sister Jacqueline Mary on 3 February, 1999 was a bogus story by christian church and the christian pastor misguided the media. The media headline later declared "Orissa nun raped in moving car," Next was "Orissa's second stain: nun raped," shouted the Indian Express, "Nun gang raped by men in sari in Orissa," hollered The Telegraph. The village "has become the rallying point of Christians of the area," the papers proclaimed. “All these rape stories were based on the statement of a christian pastor. The statements to the press by the pastor of the Church highlighted the role of some Hindu fundamentalist organizations. Electronic media was not far behind. The rape was highlighted as an anti-Christian attack. Newspapers quoted teachers of a Christian convent school saying, "A communal conspiracy is suspected to be behind the rape."

There indeed was a conspiracy, and a communal one at that. The whole thing was a conspiracy by the Christian church. The christians in India have an agenda to paint Hindus as communalists on the rampage. The christians wanted to paint the RSS, BJP etc. as organizations which are orchestrating a "pogrom".

Investigations revealed that what Sister Mary said in the FIR was not true, and was a made up story reports Justice Wadhwa. Investigations found that there was in fact no rape of Sister Mary. B. B. Panda, Director General of Police, stated that the 'rape of the nun' case was projected and highlighted all over the world and was also projected as an attack on Christians when in fact it was not true, and the case turned out to be false. It is the duty of the Government to verify the virginity of this nun and publish a report and then demand an apology from the christians of India. The christians of Kerala is of low morals and this was one reason for their great progress in the Gulf countries. The Hindus should file a PIL to demand compensation from the christian church for the defamation.

The second incident occurred on 7 February, 1999. Two children, aged 10 and 19, were found murdered, a third had sustained injuries. "This incident again attracted a great deal of publicity in the media, including electronic media," writes Justice Wadhwa. "Newspapers came up with the headings, 'Two Christians killed, one injured in Orissa,' '2 tribal Christians done to death in Kandhamal,' and 'Orissa hunts for Christians' killer'. Additional D. G. P. John Nayak reportedly said that the communal angle to the attempted rape and murder could not be ruled out...." "A certain political party even blamed the State and Central Governments," Justice Wadhwa recalls, "and stated that the inaction of the State Government in the Manoharpur missionary killing incident (the killing of Staines and his sons) and the alleged rape of the nun in Baripada encouraged miscreants to commit yet another crime in Kandhamal." "In short," he concludes, "as per various reports that appeared in the newspapers, the incident was taken as an attack on the Christians. And what turned out to be the truth? "Ultimately investigation revealed that the crime was committed by a relative of the victims who was also a Christian," the Commission notes.

The third incident was in mid-March, 1999, Hindus -- a minority in the village -- were pictured as having sparked off Hindu-Christian clashes in village Ranalai. Christians painted a large Cross on a hillock. Some Hindus transfigured it into a Trishul. A peace committee consisting of representatives from both communities decided that there would be neither a Cross nor a Trishul. Next day, Hindus went and erased the sign. Christians alleged that while returning, Hindus shouted slogans proclaiming victory. Tension mounted. While trying to control the situation, a Circle Inspector of the police was manhandled by Christians. He registered an FIR against three of them. Houses of Christians were said to have been burned down. Cross-complaints were filed by Hindus and Christians -- each side accusing the other. The Minorities Commission sent a team, and declared that the genesis of the trouble lay in BJP men inflaming feelings of the local Hindus and instructing them to convert the Cross into a Trishul. As for the incidents and tension, it came to the conclusion it always does: the Hindus had created the trouble. Justice Wadhwa observes, "These findings are without examining any person on oath or receiving evidence on affidavits." The Minorities Commission had also stigmatized the State Government for inaction. Justice Wadhwa writes, "When the members of the Minorities Commission visited the village [within a fortnight of the supposed incidents], normalcy prevailed. Cases had already been registered against members of both the groups...." Justice Wadhwa shows that the Minorities Commission proceeded in a manner that is in manifest violation of its own statute. And he quotes the account that The Economic Times correspondent filed after visiting the village. The 22 March, 1999 issue of the paper reported, Justice Wadhwa writes, "that roots of the Ranalai village incident in Gajapati district of Orissa in which houses of Christian families were burnt down by Hindu tribals of nearby villages lie in the economic disparities prevailing between the two communities. The report further said that tension had been building up since the night of February 9, when 23 houses of Hindu families were burnt down by criminals belonging to the Christian community of the nearby Jhami Gaon.... The report further stated that 'The unfortunate incident was largely unreported and totally ignored by national and international media'."

The fourth incident occurred on 8 December, 1998. Tribals attacked the police station at Udaygiri, stormed the jail, dragged two under trial prisoners out, and lynched them to death in front of the police station. After that, they burnt houses belonging to members of a particular caste, Pana. The incident too was projected as a Hindu-Christian encounter. It was nothing of the kind. The tribals were being harassed by criminals who happened to be from the Pana caste. The police had been doing nothing. One day the criminals robbed tribals of all their cash as they were proceeding to seek employment. That ignited the flash. But a Hindu-Christian clash it became! That is one lesson, and Justice Wadhwa draws special attention to it: the press should not rush to conclusions before it has investigated the facts. The facts he has recorded urge that the caution be made specific: the press should be particularly wary of going by allegations of communalism-mongers.

We Hindus should be vary of the christians in India and treat them as our enemy.

There is lot of difference when hate culture is nurtured from the childhood through text books and through media. While children don't have the discretion to decide what is good or bad are quite content playing their toys and watching cartoons. It is at this stage that contents of text books impress upon the outlook of the child and change their views about other people and countries in an irreversible manner.

Jingoism and rabble rousing in the media doesn't happen all the time and mostly happens when such incidents like Mumbai attack happen in which hand of the elements of Pakistan were involved.

Nonetheless, there is plenty of evidence that 'hate' towards Pakistan exists amongst some Indians, as does 'hate' towards India amongst some Pakistanis. So if India's textbooks are indeed completely 'objective', then the textbooks alone are not the primary cause of this animosity.

Also you claim that Pakistan is teaching hatred, but neither myself who has studied from Pakistan nor our children who still study in Pakistan ever having this hatred.

Exactly my experience as well.

The 'intolerance' (if it can be called that) is more along the lines of a sense of superiority of faith. By that I mean that Muslims believe their faith is the 'one true faith', and that only through Islam is salvation possible. But that view is one that almost all religions push, and what many religious parents (of any faith) would teach - so to argue that by pushing the primacy of Islam one is 'inculcating hate' is a disingenuous argument in the context of a 'State brainwashing its children to hate'.

Last edited:
Any one want truth of Pakistani textbook contain please refer this link, it is really horrible for me

http://www.sdpi.org/whats_new/reporton/State%20of Curr&TextBooks.pdf

pls use this link now I can understand why Pakistan suffering such big problem, where it going god knows.....

Could you make an actual argument based on what you have read and engage in a discussion instead of just posting a link?

I have read the report, and while there are certainly improvements that can be made in the curriculum (a fact that the GoP has recognized for over a decade now), I hardly think any sort of causal link between the curriculum and Indo-Pak animosity or Pakistan's problems has been made.

That is the key here, not just to argue that the curriculum has flaws, which it does, but to show a causal relationship between the curriculum's flaws and perceived problems in the Pakistani state.

Last edited:
I disagree - if the discussion is about 'hate culture' being indoctrinated into a populace, then it isn't merely about 'textbooks'. The media and opinions of authority figures on the issue have a significant impact.

One only has to look at the change in attitudes and the rise in Islamophobia in the West in the aftermath of 911, and the jingoism and rabble rousing in the Indian media post Mumbai attacks, to understand how powerful those influences can be. The resulting 'hate' was accomplished entirely without using 'text books'.

Well said AM! :tup:

And the curriculum in Pakistan is only crammed for passing exams not to absorb as simple as that. Only fools will believe that any hate is being picked by students. Dude you need to come to Pakistan study the curriculum which btw is still the same after many years even science textbooks carry same rotten theories so you can well understand no one is having time to waste it on hate for India. We have more important things in life to do rather than brewing any unseen hate for India.

Dude you also need to come out of your delusion instead of spreading hate against Pakistan on forum.

Seriously, four years of high school in the Pakistani system, and at no point did I come across groups of students (from any grade) walking around chanting 'death to India and Hindu's', nor did I ever deal with Kids spewing vitriol and spittle while denigrating Hindus or India.

There is an inherent distrust of India given our history but the same exists on the Indian side. If the textbooks tweak history to make it more 'pro-Pakistan' or gloss over Pakistan's own guilt in some instances, so what?

I hardly think Indian kids are taught that their country is in flagrant violation of the UNSC resolutions and the instrument of partition by claiming that 'Kashmir is an integral and constitutional part of India'.

Nor do I believe Indian kids are taught about their nation's role in supporting, training and sponsoring militia's to destabilize East Pakistan for several years leading into 1971.

As the two nations mature, evolve, settle disputes and become confident of their place in the world, you will see history being taught more and more objectively, especially when it relates to India and Pakistan, and especially as dispute resolution takes place.

Pakistani textbooks funded by the Saudis in the madrassa teach hatred.:whistle:

I am a Pakistani student, and I can personally tell you I was indoctrinated with Anti-Indian sentiment and teachings. I was told the Hindus are my mortal enemies, and that it is my duty to kill them all by any means possible. In Pakistani school textbooks it states Hindu India must be destroyed...

Perhaps the more important argument is neither side is teaching it's student to love the other....

Perhaps the more important argument is neither side is teaching it's student to love the other....

Not true as I saw alot of school and universty student origanisation on News on Geo , they show theur sympathie for Mumbai attack and also burn candles and spread freindship messages;

But i did not saw an y indian doing same when Mariott was burend on any other terrorist attack paksitan received .

Could you make an actual argument based on what you have read and engage in a discussion instead of just posting a link?

I have read the report, and while there are certainly improvements that can be made in the curriculum (a fact that the GoP has recognized for over a decade now), I hardly think any sort of causal link between the curriculum and Indo-Pak animosity or Pakistan's problems has been made.

That is the key here, not just to argue that the curriculum has flaws, which it does, but to show a causal relationship between the curriculum's flaws and perceived problems in the Pakistani state.

It feel happy to know that you are already read it and want to some change in Pakistani text book, As a person it very difficult to me know and digest that such Contain Pakistani Textbook has because Textbook (school level study) build individual personality and determine way of thing of person as well as nation too.. which remain till the death of individual... which affect value, attitude,decision making and outlook of country..

let this take in current circumstance,
- After Mumbai attack Pakistan got chance to take action against fundamentalist and build new image of Pakistan....

- Take look it, India is world largest democracy and fastest growing economic in the world and huge country compare to pakistan in all respect (advantages and problems both are huge)...
Till, Indian GDP share of defense department less compare to GDP share pakistan defense department ....

Pakistan can reduce GDP expenditure on military and invest in domestic industry which at list give them some return .........
here is learning process make difference in society in current environment...

I hardly think Indian kids are taught that their country is in flagrant violation of the UNSC resolutions and the instrument of partition by claiming that 'Kashmir is an integral and constitutional part of India'.
I need to point out that I found out that India lost a war to China not from the internet but from History books. I dont see anything regarding the Indo-Pak wars. Regarding Kashmir, yes, there are discrepancies. But I need to point out the way the history of Pakistan has been taught. I am very sure, that the kids would be taught that Pakistan was born on the 14th of August 1947, which although true in a way, doesnt explain the full truth . But one must understand that Pakistan although not having existed under that name, has always been in the world map under the mughal empire, the Maratha Empire, The Rajput Empire, The Sikh Empire. It has had a very rich and colorful history even before Mohd. Bin Qasim conquered the place. Not to Mention IVC. If all these facts existed, then its truly a commendable fact. Else, one must say that the books really need to give history as history even if its a watered down version! One more question is, does the book cover the "Battle of Rajasthan"?

Last edited:
I need to point out that I found out that India lost a war to China not from the internet but from History books. I dont see anything regarding the Indo-Pak wars. Regarding Kashmir, yes, there are discrepancies. But I need to point out the way the history of Pakistan has been taught.

Enough of buts & why not Stop talking about Pakistan, since you accept .. when will you change it ?

Cause in Pakistan without the rapes of nuns, killings & lynching of minorities, we are ready to change things ? When will India do it ?

http://hellinparadise.150m.com/dralistairlamb.htm

Excerpts from 'The Myth of Indian Claim to JAMMU AND KASHMIR ––A REAPPRAISAL'

by Alistair Lamb

THE INDIAN CLAIM TO JAMMU AND KASHMIR - A REAPPRAISAL:

The formal overt Indian intervention in the internal affairs of the State of Jammu and Kashmir began on about 9.00 a.m. on 27 October 1947, when Indian troops started landing at Srinagar airfield. India has officially dated the commencement of its claim that the State was part of Indian sovereign territory to a few hours earlier, at some point in the afternoon or evening of 26 October. From their arrival on 27 October 1947 to the present day, Indian troops have continued to occupy a large proportion of the State of Jammu and Kashmir despite the increasingly manifest opposition of a majority of the population to their presence. To critics of India’s position and actions in the State of Jammu and Kashmir the Government of New Delhi has consistently declared that the State of Jammu and Kashmir lies entirely within the sphere of internal Indian policy. Do the facts support the Indian contention in this respect?

The State of Jammu and Kashmir was a Princely State within the British Indian Empire. By the rules of the British transfer of power in Indian subcontinent in 1947 the Ruler of the State, Maharajah Sir Hari Singh, with the departure of the British and the lapsing of Paramountcy (as the relationship between State and British Crown was termed), could opt to join either India or Pakistan or, by doing nothing, become from 15 August 1947 the Ruler of an independent polity. The choice was the Ruler’s and his alone: there was no provision for popular consultation in the Indian Princely States during the final days of the British Raj. On 15th August 1947, by default, the State of Jammu and Kashmir became independent.

India maintains that this period of independence, the existence of which it has never challenged effectively, came to an end on 26/27 October as the result of two pairs of closely related transactions, which we must now examine. They are:

(a) an Instrument of Accession of Jammu and Kashmir to India which the Maharajah is alleged to have signed on 26 October 1947, and;

(b) the acceptance of this Instrument by the Governor-General of India, Lord Mountbatten, on 27 October 1947; plus

© a letter from the Maharajah to Lord Mountbatten, dated 26 October 1947, in which Indian military aid is sought in return for accession to India (on terms stated in an allegedly enclosed Instrument) and the appointment of Sheikh Abdullah to head an Interim Government of the State; and

(d) a letter from Lord Mountbatten to the Maharajah, dated 27 October 1947, acknowledging the above and noting that, once the affairs of the State have been settled and law and order is restored, “the question of the State’s accession should be settled by a reference to the people.”

In both pairs of documents it will be noted that the date of the communication from the Maharajah, be it the alleged Instrument of Accession or the letter to Lord Mountbatten, is given as 26 October 1947, that is to say before the Indian troops actually began overtly to intervene in the State’s affairs on the morning of 27 October 1947. It has been said that Lord Mountbatten insisted on the Maharajah’s signature as a precondition for his approval of Indian intervention in the affairs of what would otherwise be an independent State.

The date, 26 October 1947, has hitherto been accepted as true by virtually all observers, be they sympathetic or hostile to the Indian case. It is to be found in an official communication by Lord Mountbatten, as Governor General of Pakistan, on 1 November 1947; and it is repeated in the White paper on Jammu and Kashmir which the Government of India laid before the Indian Parliament in March 1948. Pakistani diplomats have never challenged it. Recent research, however, has demonstrated beyond a shadow of a doubt that the date is false. This fact emerges from the archives, and it is also quite clear from such sources as the memoirs of the Prime Minister of Jammu and Kashmir at the time, Mehr Chand Mahajan, and the recently published correspondence of Jawaharlal Nehru, the Indian Prime Minister. Circumstantial accounts of the events of 26 October 1947, notably that of V.P Menon (in his The Integration of the Indian States, London 1965), who said he was actually present when the Maharajah signed, are simply not true.

It is now absolutely clear that the two documents (a) the Instrument of Accession, and © the letter to Lord Mountbatten, could not possibly have been signed by the Maharajah of Jammu and Kashmir on 26 October 1947. The earliest possible time and date for their signature would have to be the afternoon of 27 October 1947. During 26 October 1947 the Maharajah of Jammu and Kashmir was travelling by road from Srinagar to Jammu. His Prime Minister, M.C. Mahajan, who was negotiating with the Government of India, and the senior Indian official concerned in State matters, V.P. Menon, were still in New Delhi where they remained overnight, and where their presence was noted by many observers. There was no communication of any sort between New Delhi and the traveling Maharajah. Menon and Mahajan set out by air from New Delhi to Jammu at about 10.00 a.m. on 27 October, and the Maharajah learned from them for the first time the result of his Prime Minister’s negotiations in New Delhi in the early afternoon of that day.

The key point, of course, a has already been noted above, is that it is now obvious that these documents could only have been signed after the overt Indian intervention in the State of Jammu and Kashmir. When the Indian troops arrived at Srinagar air field, that State was still independent. Any agreements favourable to India signed after such intervention cannot escape the charge of having been produced under duress. It was, one presumes, to escape just such a charge that the false date 26 October 1947 was assigned to these two documents. The deliberately distorted account of that very senior Indian official, V.P. Menon, to which reference has already been made, was no doubt executed for the same end. Falsification of such a fundamental element as date of signature, however, once established, can only cast grave doubt over the validity of the document as a whole .

An examination of the transactions behind these four documents in the light of the new evidence produces a number of other serious doubts. It is clear, for example, that in the case of © and (d), the exchange of letters between the Maharajah and Lord Mountbatten, Lord Mountbatten’s reply must antedate the letter to which it is an answer unless, as seems more than probable, both were drafted by the Government of India before being taken up to Jammu on 27 October 1947 (by V.P. Menon and Jammu and Kashmir Prime Minister M.C. Mahajan, whose movements, incidentally, are correctly reported in the London Times of 28 October 1947) after the arrival of the Indian troops at Srinagar airfield. The case is very strong, therefore, that document ©, the Maharajah’s letter to Lord Mountbatten, was dictated to the Maharajah.

Documents © and (d) were published by the Government of India on 28 October 1947. The far more important document (a), the alleged Instrument of Accession, was not published until many years later, if at all. It was not communicated to Pakistan at the outset of the overt Indian intervention in the State of Jammu and Kashmir, nor was it presented in facsimile to the United Nations in early 1948 as part of the initial Indian reference to the Security Council. The 1948 White Paper in which the Government of India set out its formal case in respect to the State of Jammu and Kashmir, does not contain the Instrument of Accession as claimed to have been signed by the Maharajah: instead, it reproduces an unsigned from of Accession such as, it is imposed, the Maharajah might have signed. To date no satisfactory original of this Instrument as signed by the Maharajah ever did sign an Instrument of Accession. There are, indeed, grounds for suspecting that he did no such thing. The Instrument of Accession referred to in document ©; a letter which as we have seen was probably drafted by Indian officials prior to being shown to the Maharajah, may never have existed, and can hardly have existed when the letter was being prepared.

Even if there had been an Instrument of Accession, then if it followed the form indicated in the unsigned example of such an Instrument published in the Indian 1948 White Paper it would have been extremely restrictive in the rights conferred upon the Government of India. All that were in fact transferred from the State to the Government of India by such an Instrument were the powers over Defence, Foreign Relations and certain aspects of Communications. Virtually all else was left with the State Government. Thanks to Article 370 of the Indian Constitution of January 1950 (which, unlike much else relating to the former Princely States, has survived to some significant degree in current Indian constitution theory, if not in practice), the State of Jammu and Kashmir was accorded a degree of autonomy which does not sit at all comfortably with the current authoritarian Indian administration of those parts of the State which it holds.

Not only would such an Instrument have been restrictive, but also by virtue of the provisions, of (d), Lord Mountbatten’s letter to the Maharajah dated 27 October 1947, it would have been conditional. Lord Mountbatten, as Governor-General of India, made it clear that the State of Jammu and Kashmir would only be incorporated permanently within the Indian fold after approval as a result of some form of reference to the people, a procedure which soon (with United Nations participation) became defined as a fair and free plebiscite . India has never permitted such a reference to the people to be made.

Why would the Maharajah of Jammu and Kashmir not have signed an Instrument of Accession? The answer lies in the complex course of events of August, September and October 1947 emerged. The Maharajah, confronted with growing internal disorder (including a full scale rebellion in the Poonch region of the State), sought Indian military help without, it at all possible, surrendering his own independence. The Government of India delayed assisting him in the hope that in despair he would accede to India before any Indian actions had to be taken. In the event, India had to move first. Having secured what he wanted, Indian military assistance, the Maharajah would naturally have wished to avoid paying the price of the surrender of his independence by signing any instrument which he could possibly avoid signing. From the Afternoon of 27 October 1947 onwards a smoke screen conceals both the details and the immediate outcome of this struggle of wills between the Government of India and the Maharajah of Jammu and Kashmir. To judge from the 1948 White Paper an Instrument of accession may not have been signed by March 1948, by which time the Indian case for sovereignty over Jammu and Kashmir was already being argued before the United Nations.

The patently false dates of documents (a) and © alter fundamentally the nature of the overt Indian intervention in Jammu and Kashmir on 27 October 1947. India was not defending its own but intervening in a foreign State. There can be no reasonable doubt that had Pakistan been aware of this falsification of the record it would have argued very differently in international for from the outset of the dispute; and had the United Nations understood the true chronology it would have listened with for less sympathy to arguments presented to it by successive Indian representatives. Given the facts as they are now known, it may well be that an impartial international tribunal would decided that India had no right at all to be in the State of Jammu and Kashmir.

The Indian Claim to Jammu and Kashmir - Conditional Accession, Plebiscites and the Reference to the United Nations:

While the date, and perhaps even the fact, of the accession to India of the State of Jammu and Kashmir in late October 1947 can be questioned, there is no dispute that at that time any such accession was presented to the world large as conditional and provisional. In his letter to the Maharajah of Jammu and Kashmir, bearing the date 27 October 1947, the Governor General of India, Lord Mountbatten, declared that:

"Consistently with that in the case of any State where the issue of accession has been the subject of dispute, the question of accession should be decided in accordance to the wishes of the people of the State, it is my Government’s wish that as soon as law and order have been restored in Kashmir and her soil cleared of the invaders the question of the State’s accession should be settled by a reference to the people."

The substance of this was communicated by Jawaharlal Nehru to Liaquat Ali Khan in a telegram of 28 October 1947 in which Nehru indicated that this was a policy with which he agreed. The point is clear enough. A reference to the people would be entirely futile unless it contained the potential of reversing the process of accession. If the people opted for Pakistan, or indeed, for continued independence, then any documents relating to accession which the Maharajah may have signed would be null and void. Such documents would perforce be provisional, in that they could confer rights only until the reference to the people took place; and they were conditional in that they could not continue in force indefinitely unless ratified by popular vote. This point is as valid today as it was in late October 1947.

Indian apologists have since endeavored to argue that the plebiscite proposal was personal to Mountbatten (which we can see it was not) and that it was in a real sense ex-gratia and in no way binding on subsequent Indian administrations. The fact of the matter, however, was that the plebiscite policy had been established long before the Kashmir crisis erupted in October 1947. It was an inherent part of the process by which the British Indian Empire was partitioned between the two successor Dominions of India and Pakistan. Plebiscites (or referenda-the terms tended to be used at this time as if they meant the same thing) had been held on the eve of the Transfer of Power in August 1947 in two areas. In the North West Frontier Province, which possessed a Congress Government despite a virtually total Muslim population, and in Sylhet, a Muslim majority district of the non-Muslim majority Province of Assam, there had been plebiscites where the people were given the choice of joining India or Pakistan. In both cases the vote was in favour of Pakistan. The Sylhet Plebiscite is of particular significance in that it gave a Muslim majority district of a State with an overall non-Muslim majority the opportunity to join its Muslim majority neighbour, Bengal.

The value of the plebiscitary process continued to be appreciated in India after the British Indian Empire had come to an end. In September 1947 the Government of India advocated, as a matter of policy, the holding of a plebiscite in the Princely State of Junagadh. Junagadh was in many respects the mirror image of Kashmir. Here a Muslim Ruler, the Nawab, had formally acceded to Pakistan on 15 August 1947 despite the fact that the overwhelming majority of his subjects were Hindus. The Government of India were united in opposing this action. However, as Jawaharlal Nehru put it on 30 September 1947 :

"We are entirely opposed to war and wish to avoid it. We want an amicable settlement of this issue and we propose therefore, that wherever there is a dispute in regard to any territory, the matter should be decided by a referendum or plebiscite of the people concerned. We shall accept the result of this referendum whatever it may be as it is our desire that a decision should be made in accordance with the wishes of the people concerned. We invite the Pakistan Government, therefore, to submit the Junagadh issue to a referendum of the people under impartial auspices."

In Indian eyes, in other words, Junagadh’s accession to Pakistan, if it had any validity at all could only be provisional and conditional upon the outcome of a plebiscite of referendum. India, moreover, considered that the need for such a reference to the people was specifically determined by the fact that a majority of the State’s population followed a different religion to that of the Ruler. A plebiscite in Junagadh was duly held in February 1948, when the vote was for union with India. In Indian official thinking, it is clear, there was no question of a plebiscite in any State where both Ruler and people were non-Muslims.

Thus when the Kashmir crisis broke out in October 1947 the plebiscite was already established as the official Indian solution to this order of problem. On 25 October 1947, before the Kashmir crisis had fully developed and before Indian claims based on the Maharajah’s accession to India had been voiced, Nehru in a telegram to Attlee, the British Prime Minister, declared that:

"I should like to make it clear that [the] question of aiding Kashmir…..is not designed in any way to influence the State to accede to India. Our view, which we have repeatedly made public, is that [the] question of accession in any disputed territory must be decided in accordance with the wishes of the people, and we adhere to this view."

On 28 October 1947 the Governor General of Pakistan M.A. Jinnah, also agreed that the answer to Kashmir lay in a plebiscite, thus confirming the official Pakistan policy on this subject. From this moment the basic disagreement between the two Dominions, at least on paper, lay in the modalities for holding a plebiscite and what was understood by “impartial auspices”.

The concept of impartial supervision of the determination of sovereignty had been present from the outset of the run up to the partition of the Punjab and Bengal in early June 1947. A number of possibilities had been considered at this period, including the request for the services of the United Nations (which had then been rejected on technical grounds arising in the main from the short span of time allowed for the partition process to be implemented). In connection with the Junagadh question, on 30 September 1947 Nehru made it clear that if the United Nations were to be involved (as a result, perhaps, of a reference to that body by Pakistan), and the United Nations issued directions, India would “naturally abide by those directions”.

Between 28 October and 22 December 1947 there took place a series of Indo-Pakistan discussions over the Kashmir question, some with the leaders of the two sides meeting face to face, some through subordinate officials and some through British intermediaries acting either officially or unofficially. While frequently acrimonious, the general tenor of the negotiations was that some kind of plebiscite should be held in Jammu and Kashmir. At a meeting on 8 November 1947 between two very senior officials, V.P Menon for India and Chaudhri Muhammad Ali for Pakistan, a detailed scheme for holding a plebiscite in Jammu and Kashmir was worked out, with the apparent blessing of the Indian Deputy Prime Minister, Vallabhbhai Patel, in which the following principle was laid down : that neither Government [of India or Pakistan] would accept the accession of a State whose rule was of a different religion to the majority of his subjects without resorting to a plebiscite.

The 8 November scheme aborted; but the underlying principles remained on the agenda. There were two major questions. First : how and in what way should the State be restored to a condition of tranquility such as would permit the holding of any kind of free and fair plebiscite. Second: who should supervise the plebiscite when it finally came to he held. On both question, after exploring a number of devices including the employment of British officers to hold the ring while the votes were being cast, the consensus in the Governments of both India and Pakistan by 22 December 1947 was that the services of the United Nations, either through the Secretary General or the Security Council, offered the best prospect for success, though Nehru continued to express in public his reservations about “foreign” intervention.

At this point Lord Mountbatten, the Governor General of India, explained to Liaquat Ali Khan, the Prime Minister of Pakistan, that the best way to get Nehru to decide finally in favour of reference to the United Nations was to permit India to take the first step, even if in the process Pakistan would have to submit to some measure of Indian “indictment” to which Pakistan would have every opportunity to make rebuttal at the United Nations. Liaquat Ali Khan, so the records make clear, accepted this proposal. On this basis, on 1 January 1948, India brought Security Council of the United Nations.

The Presentation of the Indian case, the Pakistani reply, and the series of debates which followed over the years, have all tended to obscure the original terms of that Indian reference. This was made under Article 35 of the Charter of the United Nations in which the mediation of the Security Council was expressly sough in a matter which otherwise threatened to disturb the course of international relations. The issue was an Indian request for United Nations mediation in a dispute which had transcended the diplomatic resources of the two parties directly involved, India and Pakistan, and not, as it is frequently represented, an Indian demand for United Nations condemnation of Pakistan’s “aggression”. This point, despite much Indian and Pakistan rhetoric, can be determined easily enough by relating the contents of the reference to the specifications of Article 35 of the United Nations Charter. The United Nations was asked to devise a formula whereby peace could be restored in the State of Jammu and Kashmir so that a fair and free plebiscite could be held to determine that State’s future. The matter of the Maharajah of Kashmir’s accession to India was not in this context of the slightest relevance.

The Security Council of the United Nations responded to this request by devising a number of schemes for the restoration of law and order and the holding a plebiscite. These were duly set out in United Nations Resolutions which, though never implemented, still remain the collective expression of the voice of the international community as to how the Kashmir question ought to be settled. The conditions set out by the Security Council of the United Nations have not been met in any way by the subsequent internal political processes (including a variety of elections) in the State of Jammu and Kashmir and in any of its constituent parts.

The situation in the State of Jammu and Kashmir remains unresolved, and it remains a matter of international interest. Given the background to and terms of the original Indian reference to the Security Council it cannot possibly be said that, today, Jammu and Kashmir (or those parts of it currently under Indian occupation) is a matter of purely internal Indian concern. The United Nations retains that status in this matter, which it was granted by the original Indian reference, and the Security Council still has the duty to endeavor to implement its Resolutions.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom