What's new

Do Chinese celebrate Christmas?

Aegis DDG

Reaction score
Do Sinitic influenced nations like PRC, Japan and Korea celebrate this largely Western Festival? I heard 20 years ago, most Chinese in China never considered putting an Xmas tree in their homes and was seen as something alien.

In China, Xmas == Shopping Day.
Specially young girl like it, coz Xmas == Gift from boy and a Big-Dinner.

Usually Chinese won't celebrate Christmas, just shopping in super-market.

This is China Xmas ↓
20084511165557.jpg

8AC0EB1844CEA7D40410F5645FF25CDB.jpg

0011431de2831227964314.jpg

Last edited:
No.

I've never celebrated Christmas at home or anywhere else.

Though stores and shopping malls will use it as an excuse to bring in more customers.

Do Sinitic influenced nations like PRC, Japan and Korea celebrate this largely Western Festival? I heard 20 years ago, most Chinese in China never considered putting an Xmas tree in their homes and was seen as something alien.

Christmas tree at home? Not even today, this just really ludicrous. Christmas nowadays is another day for stores to lure customers. I don't think Christmas is a holiday in Japan or Korea either. Probably just some store decorations.

I still feel Christmas alien and don't really "celebrate" it even thought I have lived in U.S. for more than a decade, but I guess young urbanites would disagree with me and find it interesting. To me, I don't feel emotionally attached to those western holidays and only find store decorations interesting, lol. Similarly, in vast majority of smaller cities and rural areas, there probably isn't even Christmas store decoration.

Christmas tree at home? Not even today, this just really ludicrous. Christmas nowadays is another day for stores to lure customers. I don't think Christmas is a holiday in Japan or Korea either. Probably just some store decorations.

Yep, I've never ever seen a Christmas tree in a Chinese household.

Often Christmas goes by and I never even realized it was there. Same as Thanksgiving or any other such celebrations.

The big ones are the Mid-Autumn Festival, Chinese New Year, and the Qingming Festival (Ancestors day).

Looking at the pic above that carry American flag pattern decoration, I find it rather ironic that Chinese living in China love America more than Chinese in America, lol.

I think part of the reason is that Chinese in American are being bombarded by negative reporting about China in American media. It's really hard for me to love America as a political entity when its media and some of its citizens are so hostile towards my birth country where all my family and friends are sill living.

In China, Xmas == Shopping Day.
Specially young girl like it, coz Xmas == Gift from boy and a Big-Dinner.

Usually Chinese won't celebrate Christmas, just shopping in super-market.

This is China Xmas ↓
20084511165557.jpg

8AC0EB1844CEA7D40410F5645FF25CDB.jpg

0011431de2831227964314.jpg

Shameful worshipping of our number 1 enemy by holding objects covered in their flag.

Traitors. Worthless losers.

Its a commercialized holiday has nothing to do with religion anymore for the most part, just an excuse to spend and gift.

As far as i seen in chongqing CITY ,China they celebrate though and they put up a huge christmas tree in the city center and people do around beating each others with inflated ballons or inflated hammers.they do celebrate but no fireworks though.also i seen people decorate their house with christmas trees.

Still the spring festival is our traditional and official holiday. All family members outside will come back home and enjoy the warm of family.

In China, when Christmas, people are encouraged to spend money. Some people even don't know what they are celebrating for....

Back
Top Bottom