What's new

Did Delhi live up to expectations?

Kshitiz_The sky

New Recruit

Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jamespearce/2010/10/did_delhi_live_up_to_expectati.html

It is easy to forget as these Games draw to a close that they came fairly close to never happening at all.

Even Suresh Kalmadi, the chairman of the Delhi organising committee, admitted to me earlier this week that, at the height of all the problems with the athletes' village, he had feared that some teams would withdraw.

So, it's been quite an adventure over the past month for all of us involved in this project - organisers, team officials, competitors and media.

It's always difficult to know how to measure the success of any event like this. For example is it really fair to compare Delhi with Melbourne, the host city in 2006? Australia has such vast experience in putting on major events, whereas these are India's first multi-sport event since the 1982 Asian Games.

Perhaps a more reasonable question is: Did Delhi manage to do more than the rest of the world predicted?

In the fortnight before the Games began, the athletes' village was described as uninhabitable, a footbridge had collapsed, hardly any tickets had been sold and, above all, there were major concerns about security.

Even a year before, those same fears existed about security, and the building of competition venues was so far behind schedule that even some experts genuinely believed that they would never be ready on time.

Whichever way you look at it, expectations were low. People acknowledged that, as Mr Kulmadi said when I spoke to him, "A Third World Games would present unique challenges."

Now let's look at what actually happened.

Security was by far the most serious concern and I don't think that anybody who has been in Delhi would feel any more could have been done.

Wherever you look around this city there are people in uniforms carrying guns. You can't go anywhere of note without passing through airport-style scanners. More than 100,000 security personnel have been deployed. It's been impressive, and so far very successful.

What about the athletes' village? It was a massive embarrassment for the organisers that some competitors had to delay their arrival in Delhi but all the athletes that I spoke to praised it.

Maybe that has something to do with low expectations, but some veterans of past Games described it as the best that they had seen.

That brings me on to the footbridge and worries about safety around the venues. The collapse of part of a ceiling at the weightlifting arena had also raised concerns.

Swimmer Rebecca Adlington hails Delhi and the Commonwealth Games

Since the Games began, there have been no problems, or at least no injuries anyway. Yes, a scoreboard collapsed at the rugby sevens ground, but that was days before the competition started there.

Most of the venues have actually been very impressive, and, again, the feedback from athletes has been positive.

Finally, to tickets: never before have I seen such a change in atmosphere as a Games has progressed. The first few days were terrible - at times hardly a spectator in sight. But the past few days have been remarkable.

From boxing to hockey to athletics to table tennis, the venues have been packed out. If the reason for taking the Commonwealth Games to Delhi was to encourage the people of India to support new sports, then without any doubt at all these Games have been a resounding success.

I was in the main stadium with Lord Coe on Tuesday night when the Indian women's team won the 4x400 metres relay - the first track gold for India at a Commonwealth Games since 1958.

There wasn't a spare seat in the house, and the noise was deafening. Lord Coe described it to me as "potentially the moment that could change the course of athletics in Asia, the moment that could inspire thousands of people who'd never even seen an athletics track before to get involved".

That was a bold statement, but it illustrated the importance of the bigger picture. As Lord Coe said: "To build a truly global capacity in sport, you have to take it round the world - out of your own backyard. That means taking risks and facing challenges, but it has to be done."

I really do believe that Delhi has exceeded most expectations. Of course there have been problems. I said in a TV report that maybe the slogan for these Games should have been 'Better Late than Never'.

The end result, though, was well worth waiting for. Just to look at the excited faces in the crowds, to see the sense of pride in Indian success, made everything seem so worthwhile.

There's no doubt that Delhi has many lessons to learn from the Commonwealth Games experience, but isn't that part of the point of giving the Games to a city like Delhi?

Personally, I've really enjoyed my time in Delhi. It's my first visit here and it's been far better than I had expected. Maybe I, like some of the athletes who decided to stay away, had been too quick to believe some of the scare stories.

James Pearce - Sports News Correspondent BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jamespearce/2010/10/did_delhi_live_up_to_expectati.html

Now let's look at what actually happened.

Security was by far the most serious concern and I don't think that anybody who has been in Delhi would feel any more could have been done.

Wherever you look around this city there are people in uniforms carrying guns. You can't go anywhere of note without passing through airport-style scanners. More than 100,000 security personnel have been deployed. It's been impressive, and so far very successful.

What about the athletes' village? It was a massive embarrassment for the organisers that some competitors had to delay their arrival in Delhi but all the athletes that I spoke to praised it.

Maybe that has something to do with low expectations, but some veterans of past Games described it as the best that they had seen.

That brings me on to the footbridge and worries about safety around the venues. The collapse of part of a ceiling at the weightlifting arena had also raised concerns.

Since the Games began, there have been no problems, or at least no injuries anyway. Yes, a scoreboard collapsed at the rugby sevens ground, but that was days before the competition started there.

Most of the venues have actually been very impressive, and, again, the feedback from athletes has been positive.

Finally, to tickets: never before have I seen such a change in atmosphere as a Games has progressed. The first few days were terrible - at times hardly a spectator in sight. But the past few days have been remarkable.

From boxing to hockey to athletics to table tennis, the venues have been packed out. If the reason for taking the Commonwealth Games to Delhi was to encourage the people of India to support new sports, then without any doubt at all these Games have been a resounding success.

I was in the main stadium with Lord Coe on Tuesday night when the Indian women's team won the 4x400 metres relay - the first track gold for India at a Commonwealth Games since 1958.

There wasn't a spare seat in the house, and the noise was deafening. Lord Coe described it to me as "potentially the moment that could change the course of athletics in Asia, the moment that could inspire thousands of people who'd never even seen an athletics track before to get involved".

That was a bold statement, but it illustrated the importance of the bigger picture. As Lord Coe said: "To build a truly global capacity in sport, you have to take it round the world - out of your own backyard. That means taking risks and facing challenges, but it has to be done."

I really do believe that Delhi has exceeded most expectations. Of course there have been problems. I said in a TV report that maybe the slogan for these Games should have been 'Better Late than Never'.

The end result, though, was well worth waiting for. Just to look at the excited faces in the crowds, to see the sense of pride in Indian success, made everything seem so worthwhile.

There's no doubt that Delhi has many lessons to learn from the Commonwealth Games experience, but isn't that part of the point of giving the Games to a city like Delhi?

Personally, I've really enjoyed my time in Delhi. It's my first visit here and it's been far better than I had expected. Maybe I, like some of the athletes who decided to stay away, had been too quick to believe some of the scare stories.

WE DID IT!
:victory::victory::victory::victory:

INDIA succeeded IN hosting the GAMES successfully.............:victory:

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

slap on face of those who were barking b4 the games that GAMES will be cancelled....:blah::blah::blah:

OK now India's next step is to apply to host the Olympics in 2016.

It is easy to forget as these Games draw to a close that they came fairly close to never happening at all.

Even Suresh Kalmadi, the chairman of the Delhi organising committee, admitted to me earlier this week that, at the height of all the problems with the athletes\\\' village, he had feared that some teams would withdraw.

So, it\\\'s been quite an adventure over the past month for all of us involved in this project - organisers, team officials, competitors and media.

It\\\'s always difficult to know how to measure the success of any event like this. For example is it really fair to compare Delhi with Melbourne, the host city in 2006? Australia has such vast experience in putting on major events, whereas these are India\\\'s first multi-sport event since the 1982 Asian Games.

Perhaps a more reasonable question is: Did Delhi manage to do more than the rest of the world predicted?

In the fortnight before the Games began, the athletes\\\' village was described as uninhabitable, a footbridge had collapsed, hardly any tickets had been sold and, above all, there were major concerns about security.

Even a year before, those same fears existed about security, and the building of competition venues was so far behind schedule that even some experts genuinely believed that they would never be ready on time.

Whichever way you look at it, expectations were low. People acknowledged that, as Mr Kulmadi said when I spoke to him, \\\"A Third World Games would present unique challenges.\\\"

Now let\\\'s look at what actually happened.

Security was by far the most serious concern and I don\\\'t think that anybody who has been in Delhi would feel any more could have been done.

Wherever you look around this city there are people in uniforms carrying guns. You can\\\'t go anywhere of note without passing through airport-style scanners. More than 100,000 security personnel have been deployed. It\\\'s been impressive, and so far very successful.

What about the athletes\\\' village? It was a massive embarrassment for the organisers that some competitors had to delay their arrival in Delhi but all the athletes that I spoke to praised it.

I was in the main stadium with Lord Coe on Tuesday night when the Indian women\\\'s team won the 4x400 metres relay - the first track gold for India at a Commonwealth Games since 1958.

There wasn\\\'t a spare seat in the house, and the noise was deafening. Lord Coe described it to me as \\\"potentially the moment that could change the course of athletics in Asia, the moment that could inspire thousands of people who\\\'d never even seen an athletics track before to get involved\\\".

That was a bold statement, but it illustrated the importance of the bigger picture. As Lord Coe said: \\\"To build a truly global capacity in sport, you have to take it round the world - out of your own backyard. That means taking risks and facing challenges, but it has to be done.\\\"

I really do believe that Delhi has exceeded most expectations. Of course there have been problems. I said in a TV report that maybe the slogan for these Games should have been \\\'Better Late than Never\\\'.

There\\\'s no doubt that Delhi has many lessons to learn from the Commonwealth Games experience, but isn\\\'t that part of the point of giving the Games to a city like Delhi?

Personally, I\\\'ve really enjoyed my time in Delhi. It\\\'s my first visit here and it\\\'s been far better than I had expected. Maybe I, like some of the athletes who decided to stay away, had been too quick to believe some of the scare stories.

Yes it did...although i didnt have any hope :D

We need to get rid of Kalmadi before even that !

That's not completely true. Kalmadi did have 1000 crore budget but remaining some 70K was within hands of Jaipal reddy.

Tell me some politicians name which are clean.

now something from Canadians.......

http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/Commonwealth+Games+come+close/3670818/story.html

DELHI - The 2010 Commonwealth Games, surprisingly successful against all odds, ended Thursday with a stunning and sentimental closing that had as much security as pomp after British media reports indicated terrorists may have targeted the ceremony and the Metro transit lines to Nehru Stadium.

"They picked a wrestler and weightlifter as extra security," quipped gold-medallist grappler Ohenawa Akuffo, chosen along with gold-medallist lifter Christine Girard, as honorary athletes to accompany four-medallist cyclist and closing ceremonies flag-bearer Tara Whitten of Edmonton at the front of the Canadian delegation.

The Canadian team was nearly 400-strong at these 19th Commonwealth Games.

Canadian athletes, by and large, gave the Games passing grades and said they trusted the massive security arrangements that had been laid on.

"I'm not going to miss a thing of the Games. I'm taking it all in, including the closing," said lawn bowler Hirendra Bharpu of Nanaimo, B.C., for whom these Games are the pinnacle because his is not an Olympic sport.

Akuffo and Girard concurred.

"These Games have been amazingly memorable for me and I will not forget India on so many levels, including the amazing job India did on security for us," said Akuffo.

"This was memorable in so many different ways," added Quebecker Girard.

"I was fourth in Beijing (2008 Summer Olympics) so gold at Delhi is a really good start toward London (2012 Summer Olympics)."

Yet, despite the 26 gold and 75 total medals here, Canada fell out of the top three in the overall medals table at a Commonwealth Games for the first time since Perth in 1962 - a streak of 11 consecutive Games over 48 years.

But it's not time to panic ahead of London 2012, said Scott Stevenson, director of sport for Commonwealth Games Canada.

"We learned a lot going forward as we prepare for London. Our medal objectives were between 75-80 and we got that, but we anticipated that would again get us in the top three," said Stevenson.

"What we did not anticipate was our counterparts in India doing as well as they did (38 golds and 101 total for second place, in the international standard based on golds, behind Australia's 74-176 and England's 37-142). Our hats go off to them and congratulations to India. It is a testament to the value of hosting Games. Everybody gets a hosting bump, but this was the most significant we have seen. India had exceptional talent and depth across the board - their obvious favourites and world championships medallists delivered and were augmented by diamonds in the rough who came out of nowhere - and their strong coaching was evident in the results. This is a good competition. There were no easy medals here."

Canada experienced that same hosting bump when it topped the gold medal count in February at the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics.

"The value of hosting a Games can't be discounted," said Tom Jones, the former volleyball Olympian, now CEO of Commonwealth Games Canada.

"Call it the India Effect. We saw it in Vancouver earlier this year. But what the Indians did here is even more unbelievable, in fact it's almost beyond belief, because they more than doubled their medal count from Melbourne (2006 Commonwealth Games)."

During the closing ceremony, Delhi chief minister Sheila Dikshit passed the Games flag on to Robert Winter, Lord Provost of Glasgow, the Scottish city that will host the next Commonwealth Games in 2014. Then an eloquent lone piper played, before 352 tartan-kilted performers suddenly appeared behind him.

Prince Edward, vice-patron of the Commonwealth Games Federation, declared: "The 19th Commonwealth Games Delhi 2010 closed, and in accordance with tradition I call upon the sportsmen and sportswomen of the Commonwealth to assemble in four years time in Glasgow, Scotland, to there celebrate the 20th Commonwealth Games."

This all didn't seem possible in the messy organizational lead-up to these Delhi Games.

Michael Fennell of Jamaica, president of the Commonwealth Games Federation, in his closing news conference said he remembers constantly being asked: "When are you going to announce cancellation of these Games and if I had a Plan B? Well, Plan B was always Delhi. And Delhi has performed."

Delhi came through, agreed Jones.

"I base everything on what the athletes say and we surveyed the Canadian team and every athlete told us they had a great experience here in Delhi," said Jones.

finaly after all the muck raking and name calling CWG went successful,now lets see Pakistan host one....would love Jana to comment on this thread

Back
Top Bottom