Dhaka Metro Rail to be Elevated

eastwatch

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Dhaka metro rail to be mostly elevated

Sunday, September 5, 2010
Dhaka metro rail to be mostly elevated
First phase to link Sonargaon crossing with Pallabi; project likely to end by 2015
Sharier Khan

The first part of a mostly elevated metro rail system in the capital will be built mainly over government land and existing roads, based on a Japanese study, said Communications Minister Syed Abul Hossain.

Japan showed interest in financing 80 percent of the project cost as well, amounting to US$1.7 billion. The remaining 20 percent of the cost will be borne by the government.

The government is expecting Japan to finalise the funding during Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina's visit to that country in January or February next year.

Japan International Cooperation Agency (Jica) conducted the study on the metro rail system, and determined that it will be doable if the majority part is built over the surface. The communications minister said some parts however will be underground.

"This project will not be a public private partnership like the elevated expressway," Syed Abul Hossain told The Daily Star recently. Rather it will be a government project funded by Japan, he added. If Japan provides untied loan, the government will go for open tender.

The Jica study chalked out three routes. Japan showed interest in the first part dubbed Mass Rail Transit-6.

This part will be 22-kilometre long, said Dr SM Salehuddin, additional executive director of Dhaka Transport Coordination Board. The route stretches between Uttara Third Phase and Sayedabad via Pallabi, Chandrima Udyan, and Hotel Sonargaon crossing.

The remaining two parts involve circular routes from Gulshan-1, Mirpur, Azimpur, National Press Club, and Gulshan-2.

Dr Salehuddin noted that enterprises from China, Iran, India and Malaysia showed interest in the second and third parts of the project.

The Chinese and Iranians are particularly interested in the Gulshan to Mirpur route.

According to the study, financial negotiations between Japan and Bangladesh could be completed by June next year, after which a detailed engineering study will be carried out till December 2013.

By July 2013, the government will be able to begin construction of the first phase. An ongoing environmental impact assessment will be completed by January next year.

In the first stage of construction, the metro rail will be built between Pallabi and Hotel Sonargaon crossing between 2013 and 2015. In the second stage the route between Sonargaon crossing and Sayedabad, and in the third stage the Pallabi to Uttara route will be built.

The study noted that the construction cost of the elevated part will be around 12 million dollars per km, while the underground structure will cost 48 million dollars per km.

The communications ministry also decided to shelve an idea of building a mono rail. The minister said initially it was thought that a mono rail could be built along with the ongoing bid for the 21 km Dhaka Expressway. But a primary study found that to be technically impossible.

too much underground water and rains makes it too expensive to build underground. Anyways over ground or under ground it still calls a metro rail. Also good that govt will be building it instead of private companies.

I love japanese :smitten:

They do lot of social work in south asia . Mainly in India, BD, sri lanka

This is a good news....i hope the work is carried out as planned, without any delay....eastwatch bro can provide some more additional information as he is in Japan....

All i am worried here is the social cost it will involve....according to me, that would be huge....

Cheers!!!

This is a good news....i hope the work is carried out as planned, without any delay....eastwatch bro can provide some more additional information as he is in Japan....

All i am worried here is the social cost it will involve....according to me, that would be huge....
Cheers!!!
Thank you for asking for more information about Japanese involvement in the metro railroad. Unfortunately, I do not have any. Problem in Japan is the language. Important newspapers are in Japanese. English newspapers mostly cover western countries and SE asia. But, whenever I get hold of any, I will post it.

By the way, I would really prefer a Japanese contractor to get the job. However, as the Japanese currency at $1=Y86 is so expensive that it is almost impossible for any Japanese company to compete in an open bidding. I prefer Japan because I know how meticulous the Japanese people are. In their work philosophy there is no such expression as 99% perfection. Everything must be 100% perfect.

Sounds great, but let me get this straight.. some parts are going to be on the overground, while other parts are going to be underground? Why is that? What state is it in right now; over or underground?

Also, can someone post pictures of the Dhaka metro as it is now? I didn't even know we had one :cheesy: So I'm interested to have a look at it. Thanks.

Sounds great, but let me get this straight.. some parts are going to be on the overground, while other parts are going to be underground? Why is that? What state is it in right now; over or underground?

Also, can someone post pictures of the Dhaka metro as it is now? I didn't even know we had one :cheesy: So I'm interested to have a look at it. Thanks.

In Tokyo, I always see an underground train line goes out and runs overland, then again it goes up overhead (Ground Level + 8/9 metre) on reinforced cement concrete (R.C.C) structures. Whenever the rail line operator finds it suitable to go surface, it uses the opportunity because it reduces the cost of construction.

In Dhaka, the metro train should go underground only when a line cannot be built on the surface due to obstacles that cannot be surmounted. Sometimes, when it is not possible to make a sharp bend, the underground option is used.

Japan has a lot of experience in all 3 types of construction. I think, JICA has made only very preliminary land survey to (semi)finalize the route. An extensive survey will be required before the construction starts.

I would like the govt to break the metro line into different segments and award each to different contractors. Govt then should appoint an expert (Japanese) Consulting company to supervise and do all the co-ordination works among the Contractors.

In Tokyo, I always see an underground train line goes out and runs overland, then again it goes up overhead (Ground Level + 8/9 metre) on reinforced cement concrete (R.C.C) structures. Whenever the rail line operator finds it suitable to go surface, it uses the opportunity because it reduces the cost of construction.

In Dhaka, the metro train should go underground only when a line cannot be built on the surface due to obstacles that cannot be surmounted. Sometimes, when it is not possible to make a sharp bend, the underground option is used.

Japan has a lot of experience in all 3 types of construction. I think, JICA has made only very preliminary land survey to (semi)finalize the route. An extensive survey will be required before the construction starts.

I would like the govt to break the metro line into different segments and award each to different contractors. Govt then should appoint an expert (Japanese) Consulting company to supervise and do all the co-ordination works among the Contractors.

Even most of the metro in New York are underground but there are places where it is overground as well specially in the uptown areas.

Ahh ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

But, no pictures? (of it's current state)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom