What's new

Despite politics, quiet progress on FTA between China, Japan and S Korea

Well, don't forget that China , herself, also signed a FTA agreement with Australia. In the end of the day, its all about taking into account a larger market share, which increases dividends. You have to think about business , not so much about cultural purity, my friend.

We live in a globalized society.

In this case should Sudan, China and Chile join the European Free Trade Area? There's a difference between signing a regional or bilateral FTA (something everywhere but East Asia has done) and including irrelevant countries to act as monitors and spoilers of a reasonable deal. Hopefully the CJK will go through at least, as pretty much everyone on all sides wants it.

Just don't forget to invite Taiwan to the party :)

In this case should Sudan, China and Chile join the European Free Trade Area? There's a difference between signing a regional or bilateral FTA (something everywhere but East Asia has done) and including irrelevant countries to act as monitors and spoilers of a reasonable deal. Hopefully the CJK will go through at least, as pretty much everyone on all sides wants it.

I believe that the Europeans are already debating on that very notion, a European Union - China FTA,
Should the EU sign a Free Trade Agreement with China? — Debating Europe

Afterall, the trade volume between Europe and China is already voluminous , an FTA would only increase that trade volume, and who knows, perhaps even entrench Europe with the notion of a Eurasian economic bloc. Tho one should never undermine the possibility of American involvement to limit this from happening. Then again, American influence in European affairs seems to be fading, given the UK, Germany, France, Netherlands, et al -- deciding to join the AIIB, despite American opposition.

I do agree with you that first and foremost, we need to tackle down the CN-SK-JPN FTA apparatus. Then, and only then, can we even think of a wider East Asian -Southeast Asian FTA.

A modern version of the Dai-tō-a Kyōeiken. :)

@Nihonjin1051

Perhaps Japan was just deflecting attention then, while the crucial CJK deal was being negotiated. Otherwise their constant appeasement of Westerners is baffling. I'm not aware of how the relationship has benefited Japan.

Hopefully the modern Greater East Asian Co-prosperity Sphere won't involve beheading civilians. Unless you want to invade Australia and New Zealand, which is OK with me

Just don't forget to invite Taiwan to the party :)

Hehehe, i'm sure that with continued economic integration, Beijing wouldn't be averse to this. :)

@Nihonjin1051

Perhaps Japan was just deflecting attention then, while the crucial CJK deal was being negotiated. Otherwise their constant appeasement of Westerners is baffling. I'm not aware of how the relationship has benefited Japan.

Hopefully the modern Greater East Asian Co-prosperity Sphere won't involve beheading civilians. Unless you want to invade Australia and New Zealand, which is OK with me

Truth,

It is complex due to the variables involved, specifically trade links. Japan cannot simply ignore the considerations of our partners in the West due to the trade we have with them. Japan's bilateral trade with the United States exceeds $205 Billion per annum, with trade favoring Japan by $67 Billion. Trade between Japan and the European Union exceeds $190 Billion per annum. Trade between Japan and Canada exceeds $30 Billion. The combined trade Japan has with the West is close to $400 Billion, and continues to grow. Trade between Japan and the GCC + Middle East is at $300 billion. Trade between Japan and ASEAN is set to exceed over $300 Billion ! Trade between Japan and Greater China (PRC + Taiwan) exceeds $400 Billion.

So you see, my friend, we have to be open minded due to the multifactorial nature of our trade partners. It is not black and white.

It is complex due to the variables involved, specifically trade links. Japan cannot simply ignore the considerations of our partners in the West due to the trade we have with them. Japan's bilateral trade with the United States exceeds $205 Billion per annum, with trade favoring Japan by $67 Billion. Trade between Japan and the European Union exceeds $150 Billion per annum. Trade between Japan and Canada exceeds $30 Billion. The combined trade Japan has with the West is close to $400 Billion, and continues to grow. Trade between Japan and the GCC + Middle East is at $300 billion. Trade between Japan and ASEAN is set to exceed over $300 Billion ! Trade between Japan and Greater China (PRC + Taiwan) exceeds $400 Billion.

So you see, my friend, we have to be open minded due to the multifactorial nature of our trade partners. It is not black and white.

Being open-minded is one thing, being a door mat is another. Japan also holds US finances together and invests a great deal of money in that country. Moreover they're critical to US foreign policy in East Asia. You could certainly get much more from them with some hard bargaining, but they already have the Japanese pinned as meek ever since they "castrated" you after World War 2.

Of course not. The Modern day Greater East Asian Co Prosperity Sphere will see that East Asia will become the center of global trade and politics. It will be a light unto the world, a natural magnet. And all states in its periphery will be naturally drawn to it. :)

Of course not. The Modern day Greater East Asian Co Prosperity Sphere will see that East Asia will become the center of global trade and politics. It will be a light unto the world, a natural magnet. And all states in its periphery will be naturally drawn to it. :)

Sounds good, can we still invade Australia

Maybe in 2075, I will lead the charge myself when I'm in my 80s

Sounds good, can we still invade Australia

Maybe in 2075, I will lead the charge myself when I'm in my 80s

lol. Why do we need to invade Australia? We can just buy whatever we want. ;)

At 80 years old maybe you can be in a mechanized wheelchair tank. I'll be hopefully in a senior citizens' home. Watching you from my 70 inch tv -- leading the charge. ;)

lol. Why do we need to invade Australia? We can just buy whatever we want. ;)

At 80 years old maybe you can be in a mechanized wheelchair tank. I'll be hopefully in a senior citizens' home. Watching you from my 70 inch tv -- leading the charge. ;)

The kangaroos have been oppressed for too long. Also they have funny accents, bully the New Zealanders. But seriously because they committed genocide and aren't even sorry for it, and they're dicks to East Timor.

Don't settle for 70 inch, go Nintendo 30th generation VR System

The kangaroos have been oppressed for too long. Also they have funny accents, bully the New Zealanders. But seriously because they committed genocide and aren't even sorry for it, and they're dicks to East Timor.

Don't settle for 70 inch, go Nintendo 30th generation VR System

:lol::lol::lol:

Why is Japan so paranoid as to keep trying to included outsider nations like India, Australia, NZ? No one in East or Southeast Asia needs these interlopers. Either CJK or CJK + 10

@Nihonjin1051 , @TheTruth ,

It is indeed true that Japan has a tradition of attempting to dilute Asian institutions by inviting unwanted foreign members in order to balance out the big guy, China. This is especially so with respect to security-related mechanisms.

But this AIIB has been originally intended as an open and inclusive institution, which is a deviation from China's practice of regionalization in East Asia.

Personally, I have always favored APT over ASEAN+6, or +10.

I am fine with inclusive economic mechanisms. But, as far as security is concerned,East Asian mechanisms must be exclusive, or "amongst us."

Back
Top Bottom