What's new

Delhi world's fifth worst city for commuters: Study

Fighter488

Reaction score
Delhi world's fifth worst city for commuters: Study

1 Jul 2010, 1540 hrs IST,PTI

NEW YORK:
Ahead of the Commonwealth Games in Delhi, a new study has ranked the national capital fifth among 20 cities of the world where traffic has gone worse in the past few years, adversely affecting people's heath and productivity.​

New Delhi, which will receive thousands of athletes and foreign tourists during the mega sporting event, scored 81 out of 100 in IBM's 'Commuter Pain Study', reflecting its failure to keep the transportation infrastructure at pace with economic activity.

The study, conducted in 20 economically important cities of the world, interviewed 8,192 motorists, majority of whom said daily commute has become a longer and more gruelling task than before.

According to the study, released today, Beijing and Mexico City scored 99 each out of 100 in the commuter pain index to become the top two cities in the world having the worst traffic jams.

With a score of 97, Johannesburg is the third worst city for commuters, while Russian capital Moscow is at fourth place with a score of 84.

Brazilian city Sao Paolo is ranked sixth, followed by Italian city of Milan, Argentinian capital Buenos Aires, Spain's capital Madrid and London.

Swedish capital Stockholm, with a low index score of 15, is the best city for commuters, while cities like Melbourne and Houston had also the most pain-free roadway traffic, found the survey.

Among the US cities, Los Angeles had the worst traffic, scoring 25 on the commuter pain scale, followed by New York and Houston.

According to the survey, about 49 per cent said the traffic problems had become worse while 18 per cent said it had become a lot worse.

Conversely, only 20 per cent of those surveyed said the situation had improved at all and only 5 per cent said it had improved substantially.

Interestingly, in the category of substantial improvement, New Delhi and Beijing led the way at 17 per cent and 16 per cent respectively, the report said.

"This can be attributed to new transportation capacity being aggressively added in both these cities," it said.

Delhi world's fifth worst city for commuters: Study-Shipping / Transport-Transportation-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

This is even after introduction of Metro Rail in Delhi.

Travel in Delhi really sucks particularly with Autos and Buses.

Pathetic attitude.

Same problem in parts of Pakistan, lahore comes to mind instantly. Mass Transit is a serious problem in our nations.

fifth on the list, i think it should be 1st in the list.
:hitwall: just travel only 10 minute in delhi bus, you will died in the bus.
:hitwall: travel in metro from CP-kashmiri gate. u will waste your whole day in the ticket line and than securtiy check line. but u can't reach kashmiri gate.
:hitwall: if u hire auto for only 10 km they will charge at least 250 Rs and no guarantee u will reach u destination on time or not.

:hitwall: travel in metro from CP-kashmiri gate. u will waste your whole day in the ticket line and than securtiy check line. but u can't reach kashmiri gate.
:hitwall: if u hire auto for only 10 km they will charge at least 250 Rs and no guarantee u will reach u destination on time or not.

Oh yaar it is bad BUT not that bad!

There are not that long queue for ticket at Metro stations and Autos ask for more than due fare but not 250 for 10 km.:cheesy:

I agree with City bus...more low floor A.C. bus needed..

However i cant agree with Metro system...Security is necessary..however no. of counter should be increased in some stations...

Delhi stands out with the largest number of vehicle population in any of the Indian cities. The vehicle population in
Delhi is more than the combined vehicle population of other Indian mega-cities like Chennai, Mumbai, and Calcutta
No Wonder.
More Metro rail lines and a Much More Efficient Public Transport is the need.

welll i dont think so it will be atr fiffth their are more cities like london,dubai,newyork,riyadh,hongkong where more worst traffic delhi might be at 20th place

Back
Top Bottom