What's new

Deadline for Afghan refugees repatriation may have to be extended

UmarJustice

New Recruit

Reaction score
PESHAWAR, June 13: With the official deadline for the withdrawal of refugee status from Afghan refugees nearing an end on June 30, officials privy to the matter believe the newly-elected federal government will have little choice other than extending the stay of more than 1.6 million Afghans in Pakistan — at least for now.

Officials said that all registered refugees in Pakistan would lose their refugee status and become illegal if they don’t get another extension. After the expiry of the deadline, their legal status would automatically stand nullified. Previous government had given registered refugees six-month extension from January 1, 2013 on requests of Afghan President Karzai and the international community — that has done next to nothing to feed and shelter them.

“Registered Afghans will become illegal if the government does not legalise them before July 1,” Ziaur Rehman, Commissioner Afghan Refugees, told Dawn on Thursday.

He said over 1.6 million undocumented Afghans were living unlawfully in Pakistan and the number would get doubled if the government withdrew the refuge status from registered Afghans.

Officials said that Minister for States and Frontier Regions Lt-Gen Abdul Qadir Baloch was briefed on the issue in Islamabad on Wednesday and he would take the matter to the cabinet.

Officials said that Pakistan was currently hosting 1.6 million registered Afghans and one million of them were in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. In collaboration with the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugee the government had provided Proof of Registration (PoR) cards to registered Afghans to legalise their stay till December 2012.

The provincial government led by Awami National Party had warned holders of the PoR card in August 2012 to return to their country before the expiry of their refuge status.

In addition, the Peshawar High Court had directed the federal government last year not to grant further extension to registered refugees. But the Supreme Court set aside the PHC order.

Instead of finding sustainable and permanent solution of the lingering issue, the previous government gave refugees six months’ extension till June 2013.

The UNHCR has been opposing forced return of the refugees and insists that Islamabad should go for voluntary repatriation of Afghans. But voluntary repatriation has not been able to encourage Afghans, staying here since the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan in 1979.

According to the UN agency, only 16,000 Afghans had gone back to their homeland since January last year under the voluntary repatriation programme.

The UNHCR is paying $150 to each refugee returning under the programme. Officials believe that voluntary repatriation programme has been a “joke” and may never resolve the issue even in 10 to 15 years.

“There is no border management between the two countries and thousands of Afghans cross back into Pakistan every month without valid documents,” said an official, adding that the UN body was just fulfilling formalities.

UNHCR spokesperson Dunya Islam Khan told Dawn that the matter of extending the PoR cards would be discussed with the new government in Islamabad.She said that the Solution Strategy for Afghan Refugees (SSAR) would be taken up at the inter-ministerial meeting to be held in Islamabad on June 20 while officials of Pakistan, Afghanistan and the UNHCR would discuss the issue during a teleconference on June 18.

“Apart from internal security, social and economic conditions including shelter, health, education and drinking water are also major factors which play a crucial role in the voluntary return of the refugees to their country,” she said.

The SSAR strategy portrays a dismal picture of the economy of war-turn Afghanistan. According to a document, about 36 per cent of the people live below the poverty line, inflation is around 9 per cent and little progress has been made to facilitate the private sector development and investment needed to create employment.

A recent survey shows that up to 60 per cent of returnees are experiencing difficulties in rebuilding their lives. Large numbers of Afghans continue to migrate to cities inside Afghanistan or to neighbouring countries seeking livelihood opportunities. Disenchanted youths who return to communities which lack basic social services and work see little opportunity for their future.

“If we go by the book and international rules then Afghan refugees will never go back to their country,” said an official, adding that the federal government should come up with a decisive plan to resolve this thorny issue for good.

Police and security agencies warn that prolonged stay of the Afghans, who they say are now economic refugees, pose an even greater challenge to law and order and security. He blames the steep rise in crimes to Afghan gangs.

The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Chamber of Commerce & Industry has been saying that the presence of the Afghans in the province puts a strain on its infrastructure and its fragile economy.

A senior government official complained that the federal government granted extension to the Afghans without consultations with the KP which has shouldered the burden for more than three decades.

Deadline for Afghan refugees repatriation may have to be extended - DAWN.COM

It's time to start ignoring the Karzai government and think about building a permanent border fence.

It's time to start ignoring the Karzai government and think about building a permanent border fence.

This idea would be opposed by tribes on either side of durand especially by those who are split into two countries by durand line e.g shinwaris, mohmands, safis, mangals, wazirs, achakzai etc

This idea would be opposed by tribes on either side of durand especially by those who are split into two countries by durand line e.g shinwaris, mohmands, safis, mangals, wazirs, achakzai etc

See, I hate that. This whole tribal mind set is what is destroying Pakistan's sovereignty. Either you're Pakistani, or you're not, there is no inbetween. If your loyalty for your tribe is above your nation, you need to get your priorities in order, because the rest of the world is moving on, while Pakistan is lagging behind.

See, I hate that. This whole tribal mind set is what is destroying Pakistan's sovereignty. Either you're Pakistani, or you're not, there is no inbetween. If your loyalty for your tribe is above your nation, you need to get your priorities in order, because the rest of the world is moving on, while Pakistan is lagging behind.

Tell this to those tribes.....
I belong to KPK , far away from durand line. We dont care if durand line is fenced, but the tribals of FATA and adjacent tribes on Afghan side would strongely oppose it. Practically border doesnt exist for them, they freely move across border and livelihood of many depend upon trade and smuggling across this non-existant border.
This border is drawn in such a rediculous manner, at many points the durand line pass through a village dividing it into half pakistan and half afghanistan.

Tell this to those tribes.....
I belong to KPK , far away from durand line. We dont care if durand line is fenced, but the tribals of FATA and adjacent tribes on Afghan side would strongely oppose it. Practically border doesnt exist for them, they freely move across border and livelihood of many depend upon trade and smuggling across this non-existant border.
This border is drawn in such a rediculous manner, at many points the durand line pass through a village dividing it into half pakistan and half afghanistan.

I really want to tell this to them, but unfortunately, I'm also in Canada and don't have a wish to die.

Whether or not the border is ridiculously drawn, it should be enforced.

By the way, if you thought I was specifically calling you out, I wasn't. I apologize for sound like that, I was being somewhat rhetorical.

I really want to tell this to them, but unfortunately, I'm also in Canada and don't have a wish to die.

Whether or not the border is ridiculously drawn, it should be enforced.

By the way, if you thought I was specifically calling you out, I wasn't. I apologize for sound like that, I was being somewhat rhetorical.

Its not just common tribals now.......taliban of both countries would oppose fencing and mining of the border, both refuse to accept durand line as border....one has to keep in mind that Taliban have replaced the traditional leadership of pashtuns, khans and malaks, in FATA and Afghanistan....

Its not just common tribals now.......taliban of both countries would oppose fencing and mining of the border, both refuse to accept durand line as border....one has to keep in mind that Taliban have replaced the traditional leadership of pashtuns, khans and malaks, in FATA and Afghanistan....

And why should the Taliban get a say in affairs that they have no business in? Especially when they kill innocent people via the use of suicide bombs and targeted killings of both minorities and those that want to remain neutral in this conflict.

Unless and until they agree to drop their weapons and completely deweaponize, their demands should be taken with a grain of salt.

And why should the Taliban get a say in affairs that they have no business in? Especially when they kill innocent people via the use of suicide bombs and targeted killings of both minorities and those that want to remain neutral in this conflict.

Unless and until they agree to drop their weapons and completely deweaponize, their demands should be taken with a grain of salt.

Who told you taliban would make demand/request of not fencing or mining border?. They are militants and through use of force they would try to stop fencing and mining of border. Operations of both afghan taliban and TTP are highly dependant on cross border movements..... our own haqqani network has one foot in Afghanistan and another in Pakistan.

Who told you taliban would make demand/request of not fencing or mining border?. They are militants and through use of force they would try to stop fencing and mining of border. Operations of both afghan taliban and TTP are highly dependant on cross border movements..... our own haqqani network has one foot in Afghanistan and another in Pakistan.

I think you misunderstood my comment, I suggest re-reading it.

Get these Afghans out of our country, why are they being allowed to stay?

Afghan govt has done nothing to curb the influx of terrorists into our country and we are supporting their society whilst we can barely support our own.

Get them out of here and they can take their racist pashtuns with them to the hell hole which is Afghanistan.

My family didn't risk death during the partition so that we can feed and clothe these ungrateful lost fools.

Afghan Refugees in Pakistan await extension of repatriation deadline
PAKISTAN: The deadline imposed by Pakistan on its 1.6 million registered and 0.6 million unregistered Afghan refugees approaches with the current government showing no intentions of providing more time for the process. The proof of registration cards held by these refugees will not be recognized come July 1 and all refugees risk arrest and deportation.
Earlier this month, it was said by the Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa Home and Tribal Affairs Department that the deadline was expected to be extended further as the matter was under discussion. The first deadline was set for December 31, 2012, before former prime minister Raja Pervaiz Ashraf postponed it to June 30 following the Pakistan, Afghanistan and UN Refugee Agency tripartite agreement regarding Afghan refugees.
The government set up camps to gather refugees from Sindh and Punjab six months ago so the process of documenting and repatriation would go smoother. Approximate 62000 Afghan refugees returned home from Pakistan just last year.
Pakistan has played host to over 5 million refugees since the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. Out of that, 3.8 million have returned post the US-led invasion. The United Nations High Commission for Refugees is has been assisting the return of these refugees through monetary benefits. Assistance of up to $157 is being provided to refugees who have returned with timber, furniture, clothes and livestock in anticipation of their lives ahead.
Governmental pressure aside, most refugees still seem reluctant to leave this territory. They’d stay for as long as they’re allowed to. Those who have left with little hope have done so because the Taliban threat they faced once in Afghanistan has now shifted to Pakistan.
Afghan Refugees in Pakistan await extension of repatriation deadline – The Express Tribune

Back
Top Bottom