What's new

Days of free, open internet could soon become history

third eye

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
‘Days of free, open internet could soon become history’ - The Times of India

SYDNEY: A 'behind-closed-doors' battle for control of the internet is likely to put 'government handcuffs' on the web, and threatens to end a free and open internet, it has emerged.

The International Telecommunications Union ( ITU), a United Nations organization representing 193 countries, will hold a summit in Dubai in December where member countries will negotiate a treaty that sets out regulations on international voice, data and video traffic.

Russia, China and Iran will use the World Conference on International Telecommunications (WCIT) to try to expand the treaty to include the Internet regulation, The Sydney Morning Herald reports.

Secret WCIT proposals from several stakeholders have been leaked on the website WCITLeaks.org, giving rise to fears from civil liberties groups and the technology industry that the days of a free, open internet are coming to an end, the report said.

Washington DC-based Tom Wheeler, who previously worked in telco policy for three decades including as CEO of the US Cellular Telecommunications Industry Association ( CTIA), called the Dubai summit 'the most important meeting you've never heard of '.

Overuse of internet causes depression

For those who are unable to limit their internet use, time spent online may produce negative outcomes such as depression, loneliness, and limited face-to-face contacts, say experts. Individuals' compulsive internet use refers to their inability to control, reduce, or stop their online behaviour.

I tried to access an blog website:

http://www.$andeepweb.com

This is the message I got :

The URL you requested has been blocked as per instructions from Department of Telecom(GRG). URL = www.$andeepweb.com/

...and NO ..this is not a site by any 'Terrorist' organization teaching how to make bombs or site for pedophilia ...

Its an blog by an well read educated intelligent American India who writes about India.

Thank you Sonia Gandhi and 'Honest' Maun Mohan Singh JI :angel:

PS: If you want to visit the website use a 'proxy server' site. e.g. vtunnel

Please replace '$' with 'S' ....I was not even able to post in the threat without that change ....same reason....prevent by Department of Telecom ...GoI :enjoy:

Correct title should be: 'Days of free, open internet in <your country> could soon become history.'

The US have already rejected this loony proposal. However, <your country> is free (irony intended) to implement access restrictions and controls upon its citizens -- right at the borders.

Personally, I want this to happen in <your country>. Call me sadistic, but in way, I have foreseen this, like how the Force led me to this point in time, and want this to occur in <your country>.

I tried to access an blog website:

http://www.$andeepweb.com

This is the message I got :

The URL you requested has been blocked as per instructions from Department of Telecom(GRG). URL = www.$andeepweb.com/

...and NO ..this is not a site by any 'Terrorist' organization teaching how to make bombs or site for pedophilia ...

Its an blog by an well read educated intelligent American India who writes about India.

Thank you Sonia Gandhi and 'Honest' Maun Mohan Singh JI :angel:

PS: If you want to visit the website use a 'proxy server' site. e.g. vtunnel

Please replace '$' with 'S' ....I was not even able to post in the threat without that change ....same reason....prevent by Department of Telecom ...GoI :enjoy:

We will end up becoming a police state if this continues.

Please my fellow Indians, open your eyes.

internet is the only space that without border line

but human tend to draw some line at any space where they set feet on

internet is the only space that without border line

but human tend to draw some line at any space where they set feet on
That is avoidance.

Straight forward question: 'Do YOU support the Chinese government absolute control of an internal Internet, which would include restrictions on accessing any external network?'

I don't have any issue as long as they keep **** sites out of this censorship.

Correct title should be: 'Days of free, open internet in <your country> could soon become history.'

The US have already rejected this loony proposal. However, <your country> is free (irony intended) to implement access restrictions and controls upon its citizens -- right at the borders.

Personally, I want this to happen in <your country>. Call me sadistic, but in way, I have foreseen this, like how the Force led me to this point in time, and want this to occur in <your country>.

lol......funny you found it necessary to share your frustration with us. I have to tell you ....we dont care...now buzz off. :coffee:

This is against the freedom of expresion if it will happen.

lol......funny you found it necessary to share your frustration with us. I have to tell you ....we dont care...now buzz off. :coffee:
I am not frustrated in any way. The North Koreans do not have Internet access and it does not affect me at all. So why should I get 'frustrated'? My criticism of North Korea does not come from frustration but from philosophical and ideological stances. Same for <insert your country here> for internal Internet control. It is useless for me to get 'frustrated' if India or Pakistan or Saudi Arabia or China control its citizens' Internet access.

Am saying that based upon my life experience overseas and my philosophical and ideological beliefs, if oppressive governments expended much of their resources and powers to control books and access to books, it is only logical and even natural that said oppressive governments would try to control their citizens' access to an even greater threat than books to their power -- the Internet. From knowing how oppressive governments works, I say do it and get it over with. I do enjoy my country being free while watching others getting frustrated because they know I am free.

You Indians have a taste of this form of intellectual freedom. Do not be like the ovine Chinese members here who supports their government's oppressiveness and see it as a good. Not merely a good sign of and for a strong leadership. But an actual Good -- as in Righteousness.

Good luck...

The US has already gone through this battle against those in our government and industry who would choose to limit the people's access to the internet, and we won. We will fight it again if need be, but I think our congress will utterly reject this in the first place for fear of what will happen to their seats as in the first debacle.

I think gambit makes a good point though, the other democracies must also fight if they want to maintain the levels of access they have.

As a democratic or republic style government and country, you do not rest on your laurels. Eternal vigilance is necessary as a people and a country, or your freedoms will eventually be taken away by your own government, or some foreign power...

US was lucky enough to have leaders who understood the importance and significance of 'free speech'.

Indian leaders were also forced to choose between 'free speech' and 'responsibility'......so in India we have a situation where we have the 'Freedom to be responsible'.

Funny thing is not many people in India understand the absurdity in this.

I am not frustrated in any way. The North Koreans do not have Internet access and it does not affect me at all. So why should I get 'frustrated'? My criticism of North Korea does not come from frustration but from philosophical and ideological stances. Same for <insert your country here> for internal Internet control. It is useless for me to get 'frustrated' if India or Pakistan or Saudi Arabia or China control its citizens' Internet access.

Am saying that based upon my life experience overseas and my philosophical and ideological beliefs, if oppressive governments expended much of their resources and powers to control books and access to books, it is only logical and even natural that said oppressive governments would try to control their citizens' access to an even greater threat than books to their power -- the Internet. From knowing how oppressive governments works, I say do it and get it over with. I do enjoy my country being free while watching others getting frustrated because they know I am free.

You Indians have a taste of this form of intellectual freedom. Do not be like the ovine Chinese members here who supports their government's oppressiveness and see it as a good. Not merely a good sign of and for a strong leadership. But an actual Good -- as in Righteousness.

Good luck...

This would have been a really good response if we cared wether you and your country get effected by anything we do or dont do. But keep trying to make yourself feel important. From now to the nearest Future, what matters is what China and India think...we dont care much about history

Back
Top Bottom