What's new

Dasu dam’s stage-I to be ready by 2021

Muhammad Omar

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
LAHORE: The Dasu dam and its allied structures of the stage-I will be completed in five years and it will add 2,160MW to the system at peak flows in the summer of 2021, hope the project authorities.

In a meeting on Tuesday, they briefed the Water and Power Development Authority (Wapda) on the timeline of the stage-I of Dasu Hydropower Project. The project management said they were confident that with the release of tender documents on Feb 12, the timeline for the start of construction of the main civil works, would soon be finalised and actual construction of the main dam would start by July 2016.

It was noted in the meeting that the stage-I of the project was estimated to cost $4.3 billion. The World Bank conceived an innovative approach to finance the project. In this regard, the World Bank has provided a loan of $588 million and partial credit guarantee of $460 million. It has also indicated to provide another IDA/IBRD tranche of $533 million and a partial credit guarantee of $460 million in 2017. All this covers approximately 25 per cent of the total project cost of the stage-I. As indicated in the Project Appraisal Document, about $2 billion commercial loan is to be obtained from the local as well as foreign banks by utilising World Bank’s partial credit guarantee.

The participants noted the World Bank had issued the no objection letter (NOL) after Wapda met the precondition of awarding the mandate to a consortium of seven local banks, led by Habib Bank Limited, for providing a Rs144 billion loan to be disbursed in five years. Wapda received approval of the guarantee from the government on Feb 10, while it issued the mandate on Feb 11.

Wapda received the NOL from the World Bank on Feb 12 and it issued the tender documents to the pre-qualified bidders the same day. The pre-qualified bidders belong to Korea, Turkey, China, Italy and Vietnam which are to submit their bids within 90 days of issuance of the tender documents. The total cost of the main civil works of stage-I is estimated to be $2.5 billion according to the Project Appraisal Document. Once the contract for main civil work is awarded, Wapda will initiate the pre-qualification process of electro-mechanical works.

Earlier, the participants were briefed that following five contracts of preliminary works, which were awarded earlier, the contractors have started the work at sites: the relocation of Karakoram Highway worth Rs14.538 billion; the construction of Right Bank Access Road worth Rs2.713 billion; the construction of 132 kilovolt (KV) transmission line from Duber Khwar Hydel Power Station to Dasu worth Rs1.583 billion; the construction of a project colony and allied infrastructure worth Rs4.8 billion; and the construction of resettlement sites and Shatial Museum worth Rs571.95 million.

Could you add the dam stats as well ?

headings looks like work is in final stage of completion of project but when go through story still its in papers only nothing on ground and these dreames from 70 years people of Pakistan watching on tv chennals, reading in news papers, discussing with each others with same way as written here.

headings looks like work is in final stage of completion of project but when go through story still its in papers only nothing on ground and these dreames from 70 years people of Pakistan watching on tv chennals, reading in news papers, discussing with each others with same way as written here.

The gov is acquiring land for the dam... it's not on papers

Dasu Dam
Here are my calculations:

Cost: $3.5 Billion
Annual energy: 21700 GWh (21,700,000 MWh or 21,700,000,000 KWh)
Pakistan's average cost per kilowatt-hour: Rs13.50 (around $0.13/KWh)

Income = 21,700,000,000 KWh x $0.13 = 2,821,000,000 per year ($2.82 Billion)
Cost of operation = minimal ( since water is free, only maintenance)

Within 1.5 years of operation, project will recover it's cost of investment, After which, it's all income for the life of the project (60, 70, 100 years or so)

Now someone tell me why are we not building dams, and are importing expensive Oil, LNG, or bend on exploring expensive cost to benefit alternative i.e Solar and wind). This is just one project. Imagine adding 4 to 5 mega Hydro project. We are talking about $10 to $15 billion income every years. Instead of losing money to other country, according to multiplier effect, every dollars spent back in economy, will ideally yield 4x the economic effect .

Dasu Dam
Here are my calculations:

Cost: $3.5 Billion
Annual energy: 21700 GWh (21,700,000 MWh or 21,700,000,000 KWh)
Pakistan's average cost per kilowatt-hour: Rs13.50 (around $0.13/KWh)

Income = 21,700,000,000 KWh x $0.13 = 2,821,000,000 per year ($2.82 Billion)
Cost of operation = minimal ( since water is free, only maintenance)

Within 1.5 years of operation, project will recover it's cost of investment, After which, it's all income for the life of the project (60, 70, 100 years or so)

Now someone tell me why are we not building dams, and are importing expensive Oil, LNG, or bend on exploring expensive cost to benefit alternative i.e Solar and wind). This is just one project. Imagine adding 4 to 5 mega Hydro project. We are talking about $10 to $15 billion income every years. Instead of losing money to other country, according to multiplier effect, every dollars spent back in economy, will ideally yield 4x the economic effect .
because the main objective of building dams is to irrigate arid lands and to stock rain water. power generation is a plus point within limitations.

LAHORE: The Dasu dam and its allied structures of the stage-I will be completed in five years and it will add 2,160MW to the system at peak flows in the summer of 2021, hope the project authorities.

In a meeting on Tuesday, they briefed the Water and Power Development Authority (Wapda) on the timeline of the stage-I of Dasu Hydropower Project. The project management said they were confident that with the release of tender documents on Feb 12, the timeline for the start of construction of the main civil works, would soon be finalised and actual construction of the main dam would start by July 2016.

It was noted in the meeting that the stage-I of the project was estimated to cost $4.3 billion. The World Bank conceived an innovative approach to finance the project. In this regard, the World Bank has provided a loan of $588 million and partial credit guarantee of $460 million. It has also indicated to provide another IDA/IBRD tranche of $533 million and a partial credit guarantee of $460 million in 2017. All this covers approximately 25 per cent of the total project cost of the stage-I. As indicated in the Project Appraisal Document, about $2 billion commercial loan is to be obtained from the local as well as foreign banks by utilising World Bank’s partial credit guarantee.

The participants noted the World Bank had issued the no objection letter (NOL) after Wapda met the precondition of awarding the mandate to a consortium of seven local banks, led by Habib Bank Limited, for providing a Rs144 billion loan to be disbursed in five years. Wapda received approval of the guarantee from the government on Feb 10, while it issued the mandate on Feb 11.

Wapda received the NOL from the World Bank on Feb 12 and it issued the tender documents to the pre-qualified bidders the same day. The pre-qualified bidders belong to Korea, Turkey, China, Italy and Vietnam which are to submit their bids within 90 days of issuance of the tender documents. The total cost of the main civil works of stage-I is estimated to be $2.5 billion according to the Project Appraisal Document. Once the contract for main civil work is awarded, Wapda will initiate the pre-qualification process of electro-mechanical works.

Earlier, the participants were briefed that following five contracts of preliminary works, which were awarded earlier, the contractors have started the work at sites: the relocation of Karakoram Highway worth Rs14.538 billion; the construction of Right Bank Access Road worth Rs2.713 billion; the construction of 132 kilovolt (KV) transmission line from Duber Khwar Hydel Power Station to Dasu worth Rs1.583 billion; the construction of a project colony and allied infrastructure worth Rs4.8 billion; and the construction of resettlement sites and Shatial Museum worth Rs571.95 million.
what's the development time frame? and what type is it? could you please elaborate

because the main objective of building dams is to irrigate arid lands and to stock rain water. power generation is a plus point within limitations.
That's why I said 4 to 5, for irrigation there are 40 to 50 small dams. Not every dam can produce electricity. 4 to 5 high yield Hydro power projects are already on Wapda wish list for years. During Mussraf time Pakistan's debt went down while many small Hydropower project came online and larger one get feasibility studies completed. PPPP and PMLN doubled Pakistan debt in 7 years but no maga project.

PPPP and PMLN doubled Pakistan debt in 7 years but no maga project.

How could you say this? we have 2 metros and a state of the art cutting edge high tech 'Orange train' coming up shortly.

How could you say this? we have 2 metros and a state of the art cutting edge high tech 'Orange train' coming up shortly.
Bus service in one city is not a maga project. In US local city governments build such project using their own money. Maga project is something that yield economic benefit for whole country. I doubt metro is even generating any money since according to Ali baba chalis chor, tickets are subsidize.

That's why I said 4 to 5, for irrigation there are 40 to 50 small dams. Not every dam can produce electricity. 4 to 5 high yield Hydro power projects are already on Wapda wish list for years. .

Ideally a big dam like dasu requires 4-5 years to complete and additional 1 year or so for fill up plus shortage of funds and foreign investment, we can only afford to build 1 mega dam at a time. Country's average energy needs increases about 1500-2000 MW/Y. do the maths. let alone dams can not/ will not fulfill our energy needs

Bus service in one city is not a maga project. In US local city governments build such project using their own money. Maga project is something that yield economic benefit for whole country. I doubt metro is even generating any money since according to Ali baba chalis chor, tickets are subsidize.
that was sarcasm, intended.

Ideally a big dam like dasu requires 4-5 years to complete and additional 1 year or so for fill up plus shortage of funds and foreign investment, we can only afford to build 1 mega dam at a time. Country's average energy needs increases about 1500-2000 MW/Y. do the maths. let alone dams can not/ will not fulfill our energy needs

Pakistan energy need is 17,000 MW at any given time during warm weather. 1500-2000 MW/Y dont even make sense. Pakistan can easily fulfill its current and future energy needs via hydel project. Google and find out Pakistan Hydro potential.

Pakistan energy need is 17,000 MW at any given time during warm weather. 1500-2000 MW/Y dont even make sense. Pakistan can easily fulfill its current and future energy needs via hydel project. Google and find out Pakistan Hydro potential.
true, but not with big dams.

17,000 MW was an average demand two years ago.

Bro,

Pak China Economic corridor is the biggest achievement!

Forign Exchange on the highest level.
Inflation at its lowest level
Modi's increases our portfolio ratings, twice towards upper side.

so bro always be optimistic.

it is a wonderful news , could you share the source of this news too ?

Back
Top Bottom