What's new

Dalbir Singh Suhag as new Army Chief? BJP slams likely announcement amidst elections

Aarush

Reaction score
Country
India
NEW DELHI: With reports of the UPA government planning to name the next Army chief before it demits office in May, BJP has questioned the 'hurry' to make crucial appointments in the middle of the general elections. Vice-Army Chief Lt General Dalbir Singh Suhag is tipped to succeed General Bikram Singh as the new Army chief.

Ex-Army chief and BJP leader VK Singh accused the UPA government of 'playing with the institutional integrity of the Armed forces'. "This undue haste and breaking of norms is playing with the institutional integrity of the Armed forces. See, my case was different. I think sections within the bureaucracy and the government had some misgivings, some misapprehensions. So, they announced the things three months in advance," VK Singh told Times Now.

"Now, you have got whole of July, whole of June, you have got half of May. I would feel that the government would be prudent to do it after the election process is over. That is normal," Singh said. "What the government wants to do or what the bureaucrats want the government to do or some sections within the government have different ideas based on some other considerations, I have got no clue about that. But, all that I would say is, let us not play with the institutional integrity of the Armed ..

VK Singh also said that the likely decision to name the next Army chief will not reflect well on whoever succeeds General Bikram Singh. "See, everybody in the Army knows what this is all about. It will only bring down the credibility of the new man. It will show him as a stooge of the government. Government should not create a situation where the Rank and File of the armed forces feels uncomfortable," Singh said.

Ravi Shankar Prasad of the BJP raked the Model Code of Conduct on the issue. "I am not going into the specifics of any name but surely but the larger issue of naming the next General. We would expect that when we are in the midst of elections, when the Model Code of Conduct is on, at least till 16th of May all these things must be avoided," Prasad said.

Dalbir Singh Suhag as new Army Chief? BJP slams likely announcement amidst elections - The Economic Times

Congress....why is in so hurry??????

@jarves @arp2041 @kaykay @chak de INDIA @Srinivas @karan.1970 @IND151 and other indian members

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom