Concept against APS systems...

Philip the Arab

Reaction score
Country
Jordan
@500
@DavidSling
@dani191
I have been thinking about how APS sytems can be bypassed (Trophy for example) and was wondering if you think this concept would work against APS sytems.

1. Launch a missile towards a Merkava 4 for example.. Javelin would work very well if it could detach warhead 300 feet up allowing it to glide down.
This flight path would allow the warhead to detach pretty high up at altitude hold.
Javelin_top2.gif

2. Allow the warhead to detach, and fall from the sky like the DPICM which slows the descent rate with a ribbon. Laser designate the tank, or have an individual sensor for hitting the tank on the warhead itself.
DP5aklpUEAAT1Jf

Biggest question here for you guys is will Trophy detect it as a target?

Last edited:
Also, HEAT warheads offer the same penetration values, regardless of velocity.
Same warhead=Same penetration.

This makes missile much more complicated since it needs two guidance systems: during the flight towards the target and then after the detaching of warhead.

Spike_cutaway_diagram.jpg

Hit probability will decrease, because of slow descent and chance to lose a target during the detachment.

As for Trophy I dont think that it can attack vertically falling targets at all:

1000.1562709338.jpg

Trophy radars cant look vertically as well.

Just use du shells
I'm talking about ATGMs m8 not tank guns.

This makes missile much more complicated since it needs two guidance systems: during the flight towards the target and then after the detaching of warhead.

Hit probability will decrease, because of slow descent and chance to lose a target during the detachment.

As for Trophy I dont think that it can attack vertically falling targets at all:

1000.1562709338.jpg

Canister launched BAT? Also, what will Israel do if say, Iran gets the HJ-12 and reverse engineers it and gives it to Hamas and PIJ?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brilliant_Anti-Tank

Canister launched BAT?
BAT is not ATGM. It scans field and randomly chose targets.

Also, what will Israel do if say, Iran gets the HJ-12 and reverse engineers it and gives it to Hamas and PIJ?
Chances for both are very small. And Trophy can be modified: add top looking radar and top attack launcher.

@500
@DavidSling
@dani191
I have been thinking about how APS sytems can be bypassed (Trophy for example) and was wondering if you think this concept would work against APS sytems.

1. Launch a missile towards a Merkava 4 for example.. Javelin would work very well if it could detach warhead 300 feet up allowing it to glide down.
This flight path would allow the warhead to detach pretty high up at altitude hold.
Javelin_top2.gif

2. Allow the warhead to detach, and fall from the sky like the DPICM which slows the descent rate with a ribbon. Laser designate the tank, or have an individual sensor for hitting the tank on the warhead itself.
DP5aklpUEAAT1Jf

Biggest question here for you guys is will Trophy detect it as a target?
chaff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spike_(ATGM)
The missile is designed with a counter-active protection system (CAPS) capability, being able to hit targets at higher impact angles of up to 70 degrees.

1000.1562709338.jpg

What u meant by vertical targets

Back
Top Bottom