What's new

Coal power in Pakistan gets $700 million investment

Thar coal is a useless mirage.

Can be useful if mined on a massive scale and a powerplant built there..
So that coal gets converted in electricity straight out of the mine..
But that will need infrastructure to be built at huge costs.
Germany is using brown coal for power generation already from their own mines...
So it is feasible if done the right way.

Can be useful if mined on a massive scale and a powerplant built there..
So that coal gets converted in electricity straight out of the mine..
But that will need infrastructure to be built at huge costs.
Germany is using brown coal for power generation already from their own mines...
So it is feasible if done the right way.

I agree with you that it can be made feasible "if done the right way" which will take a massive infusion of capital for the correct use of technology. Both capital and technology are in short supply, and even if these are somehow made available, the poor energy content of Thar coal will likely make the whole project uneconomical for us to use.

It is not useless as it can be used to make diesel. Underground gasification is being used in Australia. Requires investment which we dont have at all.

Underground coal gasification - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Underground gasification will not work with Thar coal. What is the status of the Thar Coal Gasification Project being led by Dr. Mubrakamand? It was supposed to produce 100MW electricity by now as a pilot project, and diesel too. It is a total flop.

Underground gasification will not work with Thar coal. What is the status of the Thar Coal Gasification Project being led by Dr. Mubrakamand? It was supposed to produce 100MW electricity by now as a pilot project, and diesel too. It is a total flop.

They had no funding from government. When process started producing gas then government started putting hurdles such as formation of a new company. All is in the records.

They had no funding from government. When process started producing gas then government started putting hurdles such as formation of a new company. All is in the records.

Even with funding, the poor quality of Thar coal makes commercial exploitation in any form very difficult.

There are reports showing the quality of Thar coal in comparison to other exploited sources. Here is a good report:

http://pdf.usaid.gov/pdf_docs/PNABU473.pdf

Page 12 and Table 2 on top of Page 14 have some relevant information.

From what i know is that the entire reason for underground gasification is due to high moisture content. Report is saying the same thing as Wikipedia. Thar coal is perfect for underground gasification but a lot of investment is required. I have worked on some coal based projects for my internship so i know a bit about different types. Report is also very old so there might be some methods being used now which were not available by then. Process is very experimental for a large scale generation.

From what i know is that the entire reason for underground gasification is due to high moisture content. Report is saying the same thing as Wikipedia. Thar coal is perfect for underground gasification but a lot of investment is required. I have worked on some coal based projects for my internship so i know a bit about different types. Report is also very old so there might be some methods being used now which were not available by then. Process is very experimental for a large scale generation.

Pakistani politicians investments in oil power plants will go belly up if Thar coal is used so to make long story short Thar coal is no good.

The newer reports do not add anything that is substantively different. I will defer to your greater expertise in this area, but I will note that utilizing Thar coal effectively poses largely insurmountable challenges.

Thanks for your coal details. i have studied abt the coal quality, which is not good. This type coal is not suitable for the chain grate type boiler, but is ok for the CFB type boiler. The value and ash content is low.

is it would be generating electricity direct from coal or converting it in to diesel and then making electricity out of it. i am asking this because once i heard Samar mubarikmand on this topic

The Samar Mubarak Project Is UCG and Conversion to Deisel from Coal Gasand This Deisel Is To Be Used Directly Not For Electricity.This Thread Is For Power Generation

Back
Top Bottom