What's new

Chittagong-Kunming connectivity a must

About ASEAN membership bid by BD, why are you assuming that sometime in the future BD will CETAINLY become an ASEAN member? We must talk on the real situation and not on an imaginary one. Any such assumptions make your statement shallow. Please send a link to claim that BD has formally asked for a full membership of the association, or ASEAN countries have begged BD to be its member. Otherwise, please do not say very affirmative about this subject.

I am not assuming anything, I never said Bangladesh is certainly going to become a member, but we should explore this option and I personally find this an excellent option for Bangladesh. Bangladesh is listed in a wiki article as a possible future observer state and only future potential members can become observers. Laos has already expressed its official support for Bangladesh to become observer:
http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-affairs/180755-geopolitics-asean-region-6.html#post3008712

Can we hear your idea about how we are going to save Bangladesh from being an Indian vassal state, if you do not like the ASEAN option.

I won't deny this map, we are working on that in India also which would be reality only after 2030 but Chinese have plans for High speed Rail across Asia and your map was wrong in that sense.

Just look at this logic, he cannot deny a UNESCAP map, of course he cannot. And then he goes, Chinese High Speed Rail, and when did I say the UN map I posted was for Chinese High Speed Rail, I said it was Trans-Asian Railway map, which it is, so how was I wrong again?

In any event these are all pie in the sky, much of this plan will change before any of these railways ever become reality.

Just look at this logic, he cannot deny a UNESCAP map, of course he cannot. And then he goes, Chinese High Speed Rail, and when did I say the UN map I posted was for Chinese High Speed Rail, I said it was Trans-Asian Railway map, which it is, so how was I wrong again?

In any event these are all pie in the sky, much of this plan will change before any of these railways ever become reality.

The main article mentioned about High Speed Rail network.

The writer here is talking about eurasian connection which to me seems far fetched at the moment.
But CHT-Kunming highway is alone important considering the fact that we can get access to the
vast chinese and Asean market. With increasing in labor cost China and Asean economies will
shift there manufacturing bases to countries like BD and Burma and in this case we will find
burma as a competitor. Thus we will have to take sides here and deepen our relations with
china. Even if burma remains neutral China will always have the most influence over the country
and they can fasten our inclusion to this trans asian highway via burma. Frankly I don't see
any other way rather than wooing china and Burma with efficient diplomacy. Burma will have lots
to gain from this highway:
- Hefty transit fees from BD
-Access to BD market (I am for a BD-burma free trade agreement)
-Investment by BD in Burma's agricultural sector
China will also have lots to gain from this:
- BD being a chinese ally in india's periphery
- The chinese will inevetably built a submarine dockyard in Burma which will have logistical support from BD
-Greater access to BD 160 million market and reduce cost of goods increasing chinese competitiveness vis-vis Indian goods.
- Cheap labor for chinese manufacturing base (textile, light engineering, automotive,steel etc)
which will increase Chinese export competitiveness abroad.

In simple terms NE route that AWami indian dalals are pursuing is a death trap for us. Only
Allah(swt) knows what they will be transporting via this route to NE. We can't allow to be seen as an
obstacle to chinese ambition. After all they were our biggest benefactor since 1975.

- Bangladesh should not give any Myanmar access in addition to NE access for India, until we become a full member of ASEAN, then we will coordinate with ASEAN in this regard
- Pakistan also should not give any road/railway access to India, until Pakistan becomes a full member of Eurasia+ union

@Kalu Bhai BD inclusion into Asean is a far fetched dream so far. We can only dream something
like this when awami dalals are ousted and we have a higher than mountain and deeper than
ocean relationship with Burma. But PAK has already taken steps for joining the SCO and they
are very much welcome there. I think PAK is strategically and diplomatically in a stronger position
than us and can afford to give India transit which we can not.

How it will be economical for Bangladesh to connect to the line via Myanmar??? On top of that India will not allow bd to pass through it if transit has not been given.

Best thing we can hope is to connect to china and if possible to se Asia.

I wonder what happened to you recently? How BD can connect to China without first going through either Burma or Indian NE? Also, to connect to ASEAN, Burma must allow us a connection. A few years ago the BNP govt of Bangladesh made a bad mistake by demanding $150 million/year fee for the pipeline transit of Burmese gas to India. The purpose was to inflict a little pain to the DADA country.

But, when the deal was cancelled by India the pain was inflicted on Burma as well. Burma lost good revenue earning from this gas deal. Now, it is Burma and India's turn to inflict pain on BD. Burma does not encourage a BD link to China and ASEAN. It is a ploy to isolate BD by Burma. Note that Burma is selling gas to both China and India, but, is NOT willing to sell it to Bangladesh. So, we are only reaping today what we have sown yesterday.

On top of that India will not allow bd to pass through it if transit has not been given.

Educate your self , its not transit , its called corridor. Before 2008 India couldn't do $hit about this corridor that they have been begging from us since 71. Its your dalal gov that opened this
Pandora's box. Its worth not giving them this corridor even if they dry all our rivers. Teesta is not
equal to this corridor.

wow Timurid legacy of East Bengal!! I get to learn new things everyday in BD forum.

Why, you mad bro?

The main article mentioned about High Speed Rail network.

Yes, but it talks about high-speed rail only in Turkey, not entire Asia, please show where it shows Chinese High Speed Rail network in all Asia:
“China and Turkey are in discussions to build a new high-speed railway link across Turkey. If completed it would be the country’s largest railway project ever, even including the pre-World War I Berlin-Baghdad Railway link.

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/bangla...-kunming-connectivity-must.html#ixzz1xC8dtrOI

Why, you mad bro?

I'm not mad, I'm just laughing at the self-delusion of some people who think Mughals sitting in Delhi and their Rajput governors in Burdhaman, Rajmahal etc left their legacy at rural East Bengal. :lol:

Some people just can't be happy at what they are.

The writer here is talking about eurasian connection which to me seems far fetched at the moment.
But CHT-Kunming highway is alone important considering the fact that we can get access to the
vast chinese and Asean market. With increasing in labor cost China and Asean economies will
shift there manufacturing bases to countries like BD and Burma and in this case we will find
burma as a competitor. Thus we will have to take sides here and deepen our relations with
china. Even if burma remains neutral China will always have the most influence over the country
and they can fasten our inclusion to this trans asian highway via burma. Frankly I don't see
any other way rather than wooing china and Burma with efficient diplomacy. Burma will have lots
to gain from this highway:
- Hefty transit fees from BD
-Access to BD market (I am for a BD-burma free trade agreement)
-Investment by BD in Burma's agricultural sector
China will also have lots to gain from this:
- BD being a chinese ally in india's periphery
- The chinese will inevetably built a submarine dockyard in Burma which will have logistical support from BD
-Greater access to BD 160 million market and reduce cost of goods increasing chinese competitiveness vis-vis Indian goods.
- Cheap labor for chinese manufacturing base (textile, light engineering, automotive,steel etc)
which will increase Chinese export competitiveness abroad.

In simple terms NE route that AWami indian dalals are pursuing is a death trap for us. Only
Allah(swt) what they will be transporting via this route to NE. We can't allow to be seen as an
obstacle to chinese ambition. After all they were our biggest benefactor since 1975.

@Kalu Bhai BD inclusion into Asean is a far fetched dream so far. We can only dream something
like this when awami dalals are ousted and we have a higher than mountain and deeper than
ocean relationship with Burma. But PAK has already taken steps for joining the SCO and they
are very much welcome there. I think PAK is strategically and diplomatically in a stronger position
than us and can afford to give India transit which we can not.

I pretty much agree with your post. I am out of Bangladesh for many years, so I don't know on the ground situation there. I am just pointing out possibilities of broad direction for our nation. Geography and demographics which are the main factors in geopolitics do not change with time that much. Political leadership evolves and becomes mature and only then they can follow correct foreign policy. But it should not prevent us to point out to people what is possible and promote those possibilities, so we can educate the public and create public opinion on these issues. If I did not talk about and put seeds of ideas and thoughts in not just Bangladeshi's but also people of other nations, how would people know that we are interested and it is important for us? I promote regionalism as a global strategy. If Bangladesh fails to do its part, then it will be our failure as a nation, but it will not change the soundness of the general ideas I present.

We should use our leverage with not just China but also the US and other ASEAN states to bring Myanmar (Burma is old name, associated with colonial rule) in line and build a close relationship with them.

Bangladeshi members please note that Indians are here to derail the thread and discussion, please do not answer their trolling.

I wonder what happened to you recently? How BD can connect to China without first going through either Burma or Indian NE? Also, to connect to ASEAN, Burma must allow us a connection. A few years ago the BNP govt of Bangladesh made a bad mistake by demanding $150 million/year fee for the pipeline transit of Burmese gas to India. The purpose was to inflict a little pain to the DADA country.

But, when the deal was cancelled by India the pain was inflicted on Burma as well. Burma lost good revenue earning from this gas deal. Now, it is Burma and India's turn to inflict pain on BD. Burma does not encourage a BD link to China and ASEAN. It is a ploy to isolate BD by Burma. Note that Burma is selling gas to both China and India, but, is NOT willing to sell it to Bangladesh. So, we are only reaping today what we have sown yesterday.

I am aware of that .... I was talking about the trans Asian rail way network provided my gigawatt.

As far as I know Myanmar does not sell it's gas to India yet but some Indian companies are exploring some reserve at the BoB. It has been recently offered to Bangladesh by gazprom to connect to the Myanmar India gas pipe line.

wow Timurid legacy of East Bengal!! I get to learn new things everyday in BD forum.

What the hell is Timurid?

I'm not mad, I'm just laughing at the self-delusion of some people who think Mughals sitting in Delhi and their Rajput governors in Burdhaman, Rajmahal etc left their legacy at rural East Bengal. :lol:

Some people just can't be happy at what they are.

And how is this related to the topic?

Is Chittagong Kunming rail link possible. :D Do the author with Timurid legacy know how much tunnels they would have to dig to reach Kunming from Chittagong:D. In India, most of the ongoing mountain rail projects has 50-70% mountain routes inside tunnels excluding bridges.

What the hell is Timurid?

Decedents of Timur Lane, one of the greatest mass murderer of all time.

And how is this related to the topic?

Because the idiot who penned the article thinks India is handicapped because she somehow doesn't adopt the legacy of Timur Lane. :|

Modern India is also handicapped by its preference for Indo-Aryan cultural ambience to the subordinated “Timur” legacy, and as such may be laboured in relating to the Eurasian populace.

Stockholm syndrome anyone?

Back
Top Bottom