What's new

Chinese Media: India's foreign policy self contradictory

Span

Reaction score
Country
India
India's foreign policy self contradictory: Chinese media - The Economic Times on Mobile

BEIJING: Accusing India of following an ambiguous and contradictory foreign policy, an article in state-run Chinese media said its foreign policy lacks long term thinking and New Delhi's "reluctant participation in the global system is jeopardising global governance progress".

While Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Chinese Premier Li Keqiang signed an agreement pledging restraint on border issues, frequent quarrels are initiated by the Indian side along the Sino-Indian border, an article on the state-run Global Times' website said.

"That's why when we talk of strengthening economic ties between Beijing and New Delhi, the so-called China threat remains a constant excuse for India's military and nuclear arsenal build-up," it said.

"What explains such self-contradictions? First, New Delhi rarely engages in long-term thinking about its foreign policy goals," it said.

Stating that India made contradictory pronouncements on Ukraine crisis, it said "in a changing international system, India is expected to play a role as stable regional balancer".

"But India is doing its job so well that it is becoming a friend of almost all major powers, regardless of their divergent positions on major issues," it said.

"This makes India's strategic intentions, if there are any, often at odds with its behaviour on international issues," it said.

The article came a ahead of commencement of third Strategic Economic Dialogue between the two countries here tomorrow.

"For instance, India boasts of its pluralist democracy model, but it is unwilling to incorporate this value in its foreign policy, and it's trying to wear the mantle of Asian leadership without offering any new commitment or resources to that end. Analysts are often frustrated by such contradictions," it said.

It also said India refused to express concerns over Japan's recent turn to the right-wing.

"Now, India is registered as an important participant of almost all important world strategic issues. India's reluctant participation in a greater role in the global system is jeopardising global governance progress and stagnating the creation of international and regional cooperation," it said.

Article makes some good points, agree with it.

I don't understand on what basis has our foreign policy been termed 'self contradictory'? The only specific example I find here relates to Ukraine and Japan, and Id say that was actually one of the better diplomatic responses one could expect from India, on both the issues.

We have followed the policy of non alignment so as not to compromise our interests, which incidentally, relate to our diplomatic relationships with more than half of the world. I wonder why everyone is so critical about the same.

What is it ??? A burning ???
@Chinese-Dragon and you wanted to support russia on Ukrain :rofl:

But infact artical has throw light on some good points. Its pity that writer doesn't understand the reasons or may be not allowed to do so ;)

"For instance, India boasts of its pluralist democracy model, but it is unwilling to incorporate this value in its foreign policy, and it's trying to wear the mantle of Asian leadership without offering any new commitment or resources to that end. Analysts are often frustrated by such contradictions," it said.
This is our age old problem and a cure still to be invented.

Pretty much spot on.

Though sometimes I wonder if the supposed clueless behaviour of the Indian foreign policy is more deliberate than it seems.

I think India is trying to be friends with everyone except for Pakistan. I don't disagree with this policy.

We have no locus standi on South China sea issue or Ukraine issue then why should we take sides ?

Our foreign policy's only focus should be to develop faster by attracting foreign investors to our country and retain all the land we have. Protecting Kashmir from Pakistani aggression and Arunachal from Chinese aggression should be the focus.

@nick_indian: Pretty much summed up the actual agenda of our foreign policy. People occupying those diplomatic designations are not as dumb as some of us fantasize them to be.

Chinese media circus ......

While Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Chinese Premier Li Keqiang signed an agreement pledging restraint on border issues, frequent quarrels are initiated by the Indian side along the Sino-Indian border, an article on the state-run Global Times' website said.
Border intrusions in Leh are done by Chinese and the whole debacle is a result of Chinese intrusions.

"That's why when we talk of strengthening economic ties between Beijing and New Delhi, the so-called China threat remains a constant excuse for India's military and nuclear arsenal build-up," it said.
India will continue its arms buildup and we are a democracy and we have enough reasons for that.

"What explains such self-contradictions? First, New Delhi rarely engages in long-term thinking about its foreign policy goals," it said.

Stating that India made contradictory pronouncements on Ukraine crisis, it said "in a changing international system, India is expected to play a role as stable regional balancer".

Not true India is very clear in recent Ukraine crisis. Chinese policy is an ambiguity here.

"But India is doing its job so well that it is becoming a friend of almost all major powers, regardless of their divergent positions on major issues," it said.

Kudos to our South block guys ..... IFS Rocks :tup:!!!

It also said India refused to express concerns over Japan's recent turn to the right-wing.

"Now, India is registered as an important participant of almost all important world strategic issues. India's reluctant participation in a greater role in the global system is jeopardising global governance progress and stagnating the creation of international and regional cooperation," it said.

I think Chinese need not worry about Indian foreign policy and global key role played by India. India stands firm on its principles.

On the contrary nations around China are worried about Chinese real intentions and military buildup.

I wish India - China talks which are going on now are fruitful and will bring economic prosperity to both the nations :tup:

China can invest in India and similarly India is ready to co operate with China in services sector and IT. There is lot to gain in trade for both the countries.

Last point the arrogance that often come out of Beijing when dealing with India will not do any help for China. India is not an easy push over.

This forum is crawling with China GOD worshippers !!!

Last edited:
Pretty much spot on @Srinivas. I'm actually baffled when it refers to the Indian military build up, when their own defense budget is upto a staggering $132billion!

Excluding the policies relating to our immediate neighbours, I'd say India has pulled off an impressive diplomatic balancing act, in which it has pursued ties with the US and Russia, Israelis and Iranians. (and majority of the Arab world) simultaneously, and with little or no repercussions

Last edited:
Support the article. Its just frustrating to see India waste votes on many world bodies. We win elections to get a place in UNSC. But in major of decision we "abstain" from voting. SAme is the condition of India on many world bodies. Wasting votes, not taking places, is affecting India's name. Its time to have some spine. Rewrite the foreign policy.

Any bill or resolution proposed for passing does not mean it qualifies the criteria for legitimacy or fulfills the objectives of the stated bill. And mind you, whenever India has abstained from voting in either favor, it has put forth some very legitimate arguments to validate its stand.

Support the article. Its just frustrating to see India waste votes on many world bodies. We win elections to get a place in UNSC. But in major of decision we "abstain" from voting. SAme is the condition of India on many world bodies. Wasting votes, not taking places, is affecting India's name. Its time to have some spine. Rewrite the foreign policy.

Taking sides in issues in which we have no interest can alienate countries from India. when we have the option to sit out and we are not directly interested in the issue, we should exercise that option.

We are not a Russia or China or USA yet that we have to take a stand on every issue.

Right now economic development should be our main concern and for that we should have good relations with as many countries possible.

Taking sides in issues in which we have no interest can alienate countries from India. when we have the option to sit out and we are not directly interested in the issue, we should exercise that option.

We are not a Russia or China or USA yet that we have to take a stand on every issue.

Right now economic development should be our main concern and for that we should have good relations with as many countries possible.

I personally endorse this statement to the core. (And so does our foreign policy as far as I know)

Period.

Back
Top Bottom