What's new

Chinese Forign Minister : China Stands by India

This is how Wang Yi looks when he is extremely happy:

08sushma.jpg

Last edited:
Huge trade imbalance is a concern. India must welcome Chinese investment in Infrastructure sector. If I remember correctly China is willing to invest as much as 300 Billion USD.

Huge trade imbalance is a concern. India must welcome Chinese investment in Infrastructure sector. If I remember correctly China is willing to invest as much as 300 Billion USD.

Our surpluses have grown so large ($4 trillion in currency reserves alone) that all the investment opportunities in the world are not enough to absorb it.

Just opened my local daily, and the editorial says "India - China Bhai Bhai again"...... I dono if that was appropriate, but the signs are good and having a friendly relationship can bring only positives..... Yes there will be heart breaks and sad feelings (if the relationship evolve and all the pending issues resolved) But.....

Just opened my local daily, and the editorial says "India - China Bhai Bhai again"...... I dono if that was appropriate, but the signs are good and having a friendly relationship can bring only positives..... Yes there will be heart breaks and sad feelings (if the relationship evolve and all the pending issues resolved) But.....

The west won't be able to digest any such initiative. Peace and better economic/political ties between India and China goes against western interests. Expect the dirty tricks department to go on an overdrive.

The west won't be able to digest any such initiative. Peace and better economic/political ties between India and China goes against western interests. Expect the dirty tricks department to go on an overdrive.

Everyone should be reminded of the story we studied during our kinder garden days "A fox and 2 silly goats"

Sir, one way to address the trade imbalance is to attract Chinese investment and encouraging Chinese companies to open manufacturing plants and subsidiaries in India. This also will create jobs for Indians.

NEW DELHI: In a year when Chinese president, Xi Jinping is scheduled to visit India, China made a concerted effort to push investment in India.

Wang Yi, Chinese foreign minister told journalists after meeting Prime Minister Narendra Modi that China wanted to upgrade railways in India as well as build expressways. "We are competitive and cost effective," he said, making a persuasive pitch for India to create "more open environment" and "preferential policies."

But on the boundary issue, Wang mouthed established position. Referring to it as an "issue left over from history", Wang said China was "ready to handle them leading to a final settlement." Until then, he said, both sides would work together to maintain peace and tranquility. "We all remember what happened last year," he said, his only reference to the Depsang incident in April 2013.

China, he said, would continue to issue stapled visas to people from Arunachal Pradesh. The Chinese foreign minister was clear that if the Indian government had issues they could be discussed. But Wang Yi stressed that they were issuing stapled visas as a goodwill gesture to people from Arunachal Pradesh.

Referring to PLA incursions, Wang Yi said given the fact that the relevant border was not demarcated, some "incidents" were unavoidable. Wang said, "we have consultations and a positive attitude." That, he said, make it easier to resolve the issues as and when they come up.

36315748.cms

Prime Minister Narendra Modi with Chinese foreign minister Wang Yi in New Delhi. PTI photo

Wang admitted the bilateral trade left a lot to be desired. "We are ready to import more from India," said Wang, though he glossed over the Indian complaints of non tariff barriers. His focus though was on Chinese investment in the infrastructure sector. "As special envoy to the president, I have brought the most important message that on your road to national rejuvenation China stands by your side."

Calling China and India "natural partners," Wang said the two countries had far more in common than differences. "I see strong winds of change with Mr Modi as Prime Minister," Wang said, adding that China was comfortable with all governments in India.

"This is the time for us to roll our sleeves and get going. This is no time to talk."

Back
Top Bottom