China's movie market to rival Hollywood

beijingwalker

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
China's movie market to rival Hollywood
6 hours ago

There's a new power player in Hollywood - and its name is China.

Over the next decade, the mainland's movie market is forecast to overtake North America to become the biggest in the world.

But finding commercial success there is both hard and highly competitive.

Ellen Eliasoph, president and chief executive at Village Roadshow Entertainment Group Asia, says it is the most exciting time to be working in the Chinese film business.

The BBC's Sharanjit Leyl spoke to her to find out more.

BBC News - China's movie market to rival Hollywood

Chinese movies are no match to Hollywood movies.

In fact, they are - if you take the overall Chinese movie industry (HK, Taiwan + China). There are some story lines that are worth looking at and some of the Chinese movies have been remade into Hollywood

I'm sorry but Chinese movie industry is a regional player at best.
Hollywood is a global player.

There is no comparison in terms of power and influence.

Sir-ji, to an extent I agree. But with the growing popularity of Chinese movies OUTSIDE of China ( Malaysia , HK, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Singapore, Indonesia, Philippines, Vietnam, Cambodia and even the African region), with regular mention in Cannes and Chinese collaborations in H'wood, there is a very good potential for C.F.I to make it on par .

Every one watches hollywood movies. You have Australia new zealand UK South Africa Singapore Canada english speaking countries that watch exclusively hollywood movies and even then rest of the world too is target audience.

Every one watches hollywood movies. You have Australia new zealand UK South Africa Singapore Canada english speaking countries that watch exclusively hollywood movies and even then rest of the world too is target audience.

Actually, even Chinese watch Hollywood movie

There will be a no match, as most Chinese movie were pirated as soon as they comes out. It's easier to pirate a Chinese movie than a Hollywood one, tho both were kind of easy

But with the growing popularity of Chinese movies OUTSIDE of China ( Malaysia , HK, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Singapore, Indonesia, Philippines, Vietnam, Cambodia and even the African region), with regular mention in Cannes and Chinese collaborations in H'wood, there is a very good potential for C.F.I to make it on par .

Are there any stats on the relative market share of Chinese v/s American movies in these external markets?

Given the obvious issue of English as a global language, and Hollywood's advantage therein, the Chinese movie industry would be fighting an uphill battle outside the region.

In fact, they are - if you take the overall Chinese movie industry (HK, Taiwan + China). There are some story lines that are worth looking at and some of the Chinese movies have been remade into Hollywood

Sir-ji, to an extent I agree. But with the growing popularity of Chinese movies OUTSIDE of China ( Malaysia , HK, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Singapore, Indonesia, Philippines, Vietnam, Cambodia and even the African region), with regular mention in Cannes and Chinese collaborations in H'wood, there is a very good potential for C.F.I to make it on par .

Only Hongkong my friend, that too because Chinese actors moved to Hollywood during British rule.

I'm sorry but Chinese movie industry is a regional player at best.
Hollywood is a global player.

There is no comparison in terms of power and influence.

Respectfully disagree. It's incorrect to say Chinese movie industry is a regional player. It has created an international market for itself in Martial arts and related action movies that no other country can match. In the Art house circle, mainland Chinese films have a huge international following.

No disagreement that Hollywood is the biggest by far. I think the lady in the interview was saying in "coming decade" which is quite vague without providing more info.

Last edited:
Huh? What kind of a time warp are you living in ?

I never heard about popularity of mainland movies. You can see the history of mainland movies why they didn't get popular.

Are there any stats on the relative market share of Chinese v/s American movies in these external markets?

British movie industry except for the type Harry Potter aren't in the same League of Hollywood movies, so English language can't be the only criteria.

I think the report means that China will become the biggest invester of the Hollywood movies,it's already happeening.

Chinese movies are cheap B grade flicks. Korean movies are far better.

I never heard about popularity of mainland movies. You can see the history of mainland movies why they didn't get popular.

Art house films are simply too intellectual for Bollywood audience. So I won't expect you to know anything about mainland chinese movies.

Back
Top Bottom