What's new

China's Long Road to a Shale Gas Boom

Chinese-Dragon

RETIRED TTA
Reaction score
Country
China
China currently has the #1 largest Shale Gas reserves on Earth.

As well as the #3 largest Shale Oil reserves on Earth. However, despite having the largest reserves of Shale Gas, we are far behind America in terms of a Shale Boom, this may change in the next few years:

China Steps Forward on Long Road to Shale-Gas Boom - Wall Street Journal

The development of China’s shale-gas industry has moved forward over the past year, but far more remains to be done than has been accomplished if the nation’s ambitious production targets are to be met, according to executives attending an energy conference here.

Here’s a quick rundown on the status of the industry and the daunting challenges ahead:

The Players

Only two players have made progress on the ground so far. Leading the pack is state-run China Petroleum & Chemical Corp., or Sinopec, which said this week that its first commercial shale-gas field is running “ahead of schedule.”

BN-CC195_chinaf_E_20140326070418.jpg

The field, in the Fuling district of Chongqing, will produce around 1.8 billion cubic meters of gas this year, 5 billion cubic meters next year and 10 billion by 2017, the company said.

In second place is Royal Dutch Shell, which has partnered with China National Petroleum Corp. Shell is producing some tight gas in Changbei, Shaanxi province, and is implementing a drilling program in the Sichuan basin, but trails Sinopec in drilling and production.

“A number of the areas have gone into extended well testing and we are getting into the appraisal side of things,” said Maarten Wetselaar, executive vice president at Shell’s integrated gas business. He said an assessment of the initial drilling activity will take more time.

Meanwhile, new players may soon join the ranks and scale up exploration.

Drilling

So far fewer than 100 shale-gas wells have been drilled in China, compared with around 40,000 wells in the U.S., whose shale-gas boom China hopes to replicate. That, of course, leaves a lot of drilling to be done.

But among national Chinese oil companies, only Sinopec has a mandate to fast-track shale-gas production, while PetroChina remains focused elsewhere, with less than 1% of its total budget devoted to shale-gas drilling, according to Wood Mackenzie.

Beijing has set targets of producing 6.5 billion cubic meters of shale next year and 60 billion-100 billion cubic meters a year by 2020.

“But 6.5 billion cubic meters is not a shale-gas industry. If you get to 6.5 billion cubic meters is that a catalyst to getting to 60 and to 100 billion cubic meters? Because those are the kinds of growth projections that Chinese demand is supporting,” said Gavin Thompson, head of Asia-Pacific natural gas research at Wood Mackenzie.

Water

One of the major challenges for shale gas exploration in China was the availability of water–which is key to the drilling technique, called hydraulic fracturing or fracking, used to access natural gas trapped in shale rock formations.

Shell’s Mr. Wetselaar said that in many instances it was able to access to much deeper water sources through drilling and improve an area’s water supply. “The challenges are very different from locality to locality. But we are focused on making it a sustainable solution,” he said.

Newer fracking techniques have been able to limit the amount of water used, but in several parts of China obtaining water for shale-gas drilling will remain a challenge.

Regulatory environment

China’s recent decisions to boost private-sector participation and implement reforms are expected to help the shale-gas industry, although a lot more needs to be done.

“Additional moves by the national oil companies to open the upstream and downstream to private capital will also expedite the timeline for shale production, even if the government remains unlikely to meet its highly ambitious 2015 and 2020 targets,” Eurasia Group said in a recent report.

In any case Chinese shale gas remains a huge prospect for energy companies given the sheer size of the estimated reserves.

“Relative to United States’ shale-gas plays, the [reserves] of the Sichuan and Tarim basins are potentially enormous and, if successful, could rival the Marcellus in terms of absolute scale,” Bernstein Research said recently. It also said initial well flows in the Sichuan basin appear better than expected while costs were lower than expected.

------------------------------------------------------------

Oi @Chinese-Dragon - If you've got the tech to extract shale-gas why aren't you sharing it with us....I hear Pakistan has some healthy shale gas reserves as well ? :mad:

I thought we were Brothers ? :cray:

Updated List of EIA estimated reserves put Pakistan at 12th by Shale Gas and 9th by Shale oil while in risked Pakistan is ranked among the top 6 or 5

Pakistan(2013 estimate)
Shale Gas-105tcf
Shale Oil- 9Billion barrels

Oi @Chinese-Dragon - If you've got the tech to extract shale-gas why aren't you sharing it with us....I hear Pakistan has some healthy shale gas reserves as well ? :mad:

I thought we were Brothers ? :cray:

In fact Pakistan has quite huge reserves of BOTH Shale Gas and Oil (if I remember correctly Pakistan has the 9th largest Shale Oil reserves in the world).

Once we get the fracking technology to a decent level, I'm sure there will be plenty of Sino-Pakistani cooperation in terms of Shale.

Maybe we will each have enough reserves, so that one day (combined with huge amounts of renewable energy projects) we might attain some level of self-sufficiency regarding energy imports. :woot: Long-term dream I know, but everything starts with a dream!

In fact Pakistan has quite huge reserves of BOTH Shale Gas and Oil (if I remember correctly Pakistan has the 9th largest Shale Oil reserves in the world).

Once we get the fracking technology to a decent level, I'm sure there will be plenty of Sino-Pakistani cooperation in terms of Shale.

Maybe we will each have enough reserves, so that one day (combined with huge amounts of renewable energy projects) we might attain some level of self-sufficiency regarding energy imports. :woot: Long-term dream I know, but everything starts with a dream!

What do you mean 'combined' - I ain't sharing my reserves with you ! :bunny:

You still haven't delivered on that Candle Light dinner you promised I'd have with Vicky Zhao ! :ashamed:

Jokes Aside, I hope this too.....greater Sino-Pak cooperation will bring immense dividends to both our Nations ! :)

What do you mean 'combined' - I ain't sharing my reserves with you ! :bunny:

You still haven't delivered on that Candle Light dinner you promised I'd have with Vicky Zhao ! :ashamed:

Jokes Aside, I hope this too.....greater Sino-Pak cooperation will bring immense dividends to both our Nations ! :)

Fracking is problematic for us both, because the current techniques require a great deal of water.

Though in fact, we actually have a lot of water to spare. The mighty Yangtze river, it is predicted that 96% of it flows into the Pacific Ocean! I don't have the numbers for your Indus River, but I bet it's the same, most of it goes into the Ocean too.

On the bright side, Pakistan's Shale reserves should be good enough to make Pakistan self-sufficient in the future. :tup: It's more difficult for China, our demand is so huge that we will likely still be importing oil and gas from Russia even after our Shale reserves are well developed.

But with all the renewable tech that we are working on, it might become possible for us too. :yay:

chinese will invest in risk free situation only.
law and order is a problem.
i think govt companies have to invest first and get something out a a proof before foreign companies invest

chinese will invest in risk free situation only.
law and order is a problem.
i think govt companies have to invest first and get something out a a proof before foreign companies invest

Do you know the geographic location of Pakistan's major Shale oil and gas reserves?

I don't think there will be a problem with Chinese energy investment in Pakistan as long as there is a decent level of stability in the area.

Stop posting these western propaganda mouthpieces.

There are plenty of Chinese media outlets talking about the natural gas boom including new core equipment developed and new reserves found.

Stop posting these western propaganda mouthpieces.

There are plenty of Chinese media outlets talking about the natural gas boom including new core equipment developed and new reserves found.

I wanted an article from their perspective.

There are plenty of other articles on this issue, you can post them if you wish.

Fracking, in addition to contaminating ground water, also makes the region more susceptible to earthquakes.

Shale oil is should be a no go area IMO until a better technique of extracting is discovered.

I wanted an article from their perspective.

There are plenty of other articles on this issue, you can post them if you wish.

This nonsense article just dismisses Chinese shale gas development.

Learn to stop thinking everything a white man says is always correct.

Then we might start getting some respect.

This nonsense article just dismisses Chinese shale gas development.

Learn to stop thinking everything a white man says is always correct.

Then we might start getting some respect.

White man?

The article was written by an ethnic Chinese from Singapore. :lol:

You are just trolling for the sake of trolling.

WALL STREET JOURNAL = white man's media.

Any Chinese working for them is clearly working against China.

Back
Top Bottom