What's new

China's Education System is a Failure.

below_freezing

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Our education system has failed.

We have not succeeded in producing the next generation of Chinese leaders. We have only succeeded in producing the next generation of Western workers that will work for white leaders. The reason is not because of our lack of technical skill. It is because we are losing our own heritage.

The new literature textbooks will not include the articles of Lu Xun 鲁迅, the most famous modern author in 20th century China. In some cases, the most provokative (and with most literary and historical value) articles hvae been deleted, or replaced with less radical ones.

ÐÂÓïÎĿα¾ ³ѸµÄ¶¼É¾ÁË »¹ÊDz¿·Öɾ³ý_°Ù¶ÈÖªµÀ

中学课本中,鲁迅的《阿Q正传》、《纪念刘和珍君》等多篇作品被删除,广东版则将《药》换成《祝福》。而巴金反思文革的文章和余华的小说等被新选为课文。(《广州日报》9月8日报道)

Why? Perhaps it is because Lu Xun's articles are too provokative, too rebellious for the "harmonious" modern China? Or is it because our society now bears a surprising resemblence to the old society that this hardcore Communist writer despised? What is more surprising is how writings reflecting on the Cultural Revolution have been added. Is this a good sign, or is it a signal that the government is losing faith in the very principles that brought it to power? However, this issue is not merely political. Lu Xun is, regardless of his political leanings, one of the best writers of the 20th century. His works have literary merit as works of fiction alone, and they represented the contemporary trend in Chinese literature. To censor a writer who has educated generations and was a leading 20th century thinker, is a CRIME against literature, students, and an insult to our intelligence.

An incomplete list of other texts deleted or edited include:

《朱德的扁担》
《狼牙山五壮士》
《荷塘月色》
《林教头风雪山神庙》
《葫芦僧判断葫芦案》

Modern history textbooks mention Chairman Mao much less than before. Is this a good thing? Perhaps, perhaps not. However, he was the absolute most important Chinese leader in world politics for the first 70 years of the 20th century, and as such he and his policies should be taught with historical accuracy.

?????????????????????

In 1917, there were 391 brothels in Beijing, 3500 prostitutes, and as many as 7000 private prostitutes.

In 1949 November, all prostitution in Beijing was brought to a halt.

This is not taught in history textbooks. Yet it is extremely important as a cultural event. it shows that the enthusiasm following liberation showed that age old customs and habits can be broken through willpower alone. If nothing else, it shows an important phase of Chinese history which is unique to mankind and has scholarly significance as a phase of history regardless of politics.

Indeed, the entire 1950's is nearly absent from our history textbooks, despite the fact that it is one of the most important periods in Chinese history, a transition between traditional and modern society, and one of the greatest eras of social change in history rivaled only by Britain and the Soviet Union's industrial revolutions (and that of no other country, as there has been no social change greater than Britain 1800-1900 or USSR 1917-1940, or China 1949-1959). Is it because it is too politically sensitive? No! There is more talk about the Cultural Revolution than the 1950's! Perhaps it is because the education department doesn't want students to think about how the 1950's compare to now.

Our textbooks are not emphasizing our traditional culture. They are not teaching modern history. They are not teaching critical thinking. They are not teaching patriotism. They are teaching a watered down history that would put the censors of the Cultural Revolution to shame. At least they didn't censor Lu Xun back then. In fact, I would not be surprised if currently, the teachers teach more U.S. history in our schools than Chinese history.

Despite our growing wealth and power, we should remember to not lose ourselves, both as individuals and as a nation. What Chinese people pride themselves on is standing up for basic principles, and what could be a greater crime than to purposely forget ones own heritage?

Because "democracy" does not need the spirit of resistance. Power and the rich are too afraid of the idea for some sharp.

Because "democracy" does not need the spirit of resistance. Power and the rich are too afraid of the idea for some sharp.

和谐社会不需要斗志,只需要顺民?

唉~ 万恶的和谐~

Some protests as embellishment is good, but really do not need the spirit of resistance, you can not resist democracy, democracy without error, forever.

Okay, this shows that China's one direction.

Last edited:
Some protest as sand is good, but really do not need the spirit of resistance, you can not resist democracy, democracy without error, forever.

Okay, this shows that China's one direction.

Err, Dear.... I do not exactly get you.... But are You using some kind of Translation Software???

We should kick out all translated foreign non-sense from Chinese textbooks. Chinese classes are about teaching Chinese, not comparative literature.

But of course this won't happen as long as we have an intelligentsia that's fundamentally anti-Chinese.

Err, Dear.... I do not exactly get you.... But are You using some kind of Translation Software???

it means:

the government now is not the same government of 1949. the spirit of struggling against adversity was valuable in the days of revolution and industrialization, but now those days have past. now the focus is on stability, and you don't want to educate the people to have too much aggression. so you take away "aggressive" literature.

it means:

the government now is not the same government of 1949. the spirit of struggling against adversity was valuable in the days of revolution and industrialization, but now those days have past. now the focus is on stability, and you don't want to educate the people to have too much aggression. so you take away "aggressive" literature.

Oh I see, So Do You come to say that Chinese Syllabus is not as traditional as it was?

Oh I see, So Do You come to say that Chinese Syllabus is not as traditional as it was?

What I am trying to say is very complicated and may have much to do with the context.

As you see, in the past, our textbooks have focused on two things: objective recording of history, and teaching patriotic values. This is basic to all countries.

Our history happens to be one of struggle against everything. Not only foreigners in wars, but against ourselves. China has gone through 3 tremendous social transformations within the past 100 years. When the Qing Dynasty collapsed, do you know how many people were afraid of cutting off their braids even though the Nationalist government outlawed wearing the Manchu braid? Then was 1949 and the following 10 years, where Mao transformed China from a backwards, preindustrial society to a modern industrial one, at least in terms of thinking. And of course, we have the modern era.

The writers born in these periods of social turmoil have produced great works of literature with the theme of struggle and rebellion. Lu Xun's articles focus on the criticism of traditional society, while communist literature focuses on winning against adversity and self sacrifice. History textbooks used to teach about all periods of chinese history, and focused greatly on periods of social change. Now, however, the education department does not see the value in historical accuracy and patriotism. It could be because the government sees nationalism as a double edged sword, or whatever reason. The end result is, great works of literature are deleted from the textbooks this year, replaced by mediocre but "less aggressive" ones. History textbooks are gradually not talking about an entire era of history. Great historical figures are being ignored. The curriculum is being westernized, and in the process, we are teaching our next generation that we are inferiors without a culture to call our own.

What I am trying to say is very complicated and may have much to do with the context.

As you see, in the past, our textbooks have focused on two things: objective recording of history, and teaching patriotic values. This is basic to all countries.

Our history happens to be one of struggle against everything. Not only foreigners in wars, but against ourselves. China has gone through 3 tremendous social transformations within the past 100 years. When the Qing Dynasty collapsed, do you know how many people were afraid of cutting off their braids even though the Nationalist government outlawed wearing the Manchu braid? Then was 1949 and the following 10 years, where Mao transformed China from a backwards, preindustrial society to a modern industrial one, at least in terms of thinking. And of course, we have the modern era.

The writers born in these periods of social turmoil have produced great works of literature with the theme of struggle and rebellion. Lu Xun's articles focus on the criticism of traditional society, while communist literature focuses on winning against adversity and self sacrifice. History textbooks used to teach about all periods of chinese history, and focused greatly on periods of social change. Now, however, the education department does not see the value in historical accuracy and patriotism. It could be because the government sees nationalism as a double edged sword, or whatever reason. The end result is, great works of literature are deleted from the textbooks this year, replaced by mediocre but "less aggressive" ones. History textbooks are gradually not talking about an entire era of history. Great historical figures are being ignored. The curriculum is being westernized, and in the process, we are teaching our next generation that we are inferiors without a culture to call our own.

The only objection is the "Westernization", the least no obvious intent. In fact, not "Westernization" but "China" - the current rulers of China (the power and the rich) wanted people "should have" the values.

Our education system has failed.

We have not succeeded in producing the next generation of Chinese leaders. We have only succeeded in producing the next generation of Western workers that will work for white leaders. The reason is not because of our lack of technical skill. It is because we are losing our own heritage.

I think it is a little far-fetched to say this. Actually the theme of Lu Xun's work focus on criticism of chinese traditional values particularly in Confucianism. Lu xun was one of the forerunners of new cultural movement in 1910s, when chinese scholars that times had completely negative view on chinese cultures. if Lu xun was still alive today, a lot of people would say he is a traitor, white wannabe, a CIA agent, 5 cent party member, etc.

Lu xun achieved his fame in acumen observation and in-depth reflection, and ruthless criticism on chinese culture. for the same reason he is always my favourite writer in Chinese literature. But i don't think t all of his work are suitable for high-school textbook. to appprieciate Lu xun's work, one need mental maturity, life experience, and history knowledge, which are exactly high-school student lack of. The first time i read <<&#29378;&#20154;&#26085;&#35760;>> 12 yrs ago&#65292;i only feel lu xun was too radical and his writing genre was dull. it took me a decade to apprieciate its beauty. there are some of lu xun's work i think worthy for highschool students to read, such as <<&#29378;&#20154;&#26085;&#35760;>> <<&#25925;&#20065;>><<&#38463;Q&#27491;&#20256;>>.still i think a few of his work i learnt in middle and highschool 10 yrs ago are not suitable for textbook. for example, <<&#32426;&#24565;&#21016;&#21644;&#29645;&#21531;>>,<<&#21451;&#37030;&#24778;&#35815;&#35770;>>, <<&#20026;&#20102;&#24536;&#21364;&#30340;&#32426;&#24565;>>. they were selected into textbook primarily for political reasons in the old days. actually i could barely believe these articles still exist in today's text. they sound anti-government :P

High school education ruined Lu Xun's work. CCP portray him as a communist warrior against feudalism and capitalism, actually he was not. i guess today's people might feel a joke to heard that Lu Xun wrote <<&#19977;&#21619;&#20070;&#23627;>> to critcize "feudal education's persecution on children's growth" that's what i was told in middle school. besides lu xun's writing genre reads weird to modern chinese people. in his days, modern vernacular chinese was still in the cradle. it was not a good idea to make high school exposed to too much of these stuff.

Well Chinese leaders need to plan for future and rely less on "all is good" feelings.

Back
Top Bottom