What's new

China to send Sri Lanka astronaut into space: Breaking news

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
China to send Sri Lanka astronaut into space: Breaking news

There is a possibility of Sri Lanka sending an astronaut into space in less than four years.

This historic task has been undertaken by the Sri Lankan company SupremeSAT and China’s state- owned biggest satellite manufacturing institution, Great Wall Corporation.

The agreement will be signed in Beijing where the Chinese company is based.

SupremeSAT Managing Director R M Manivannan said SupremeSAT has already written a new chapter in Sri Lankan history by becoming the first institution in Sri Lanka to own a satellite.

“We have a co-branded satellite with the Chinese company in orbit from last month.

Our next step is the building of our own company satellite at the Great Wall Corporation facility. This would be ready in two years and then it would be the first Sri Lankan owned satellite," he said.

The total investment for this would be around US $ 300 million.

Manivannan said their next aim is to train Sri Lankan youths with space technology and this would be initially done in China. "We will soon call for applications for 'would be astronauts'. After going through their records , we will send them for training to China," he said.

"After three to four years, they will be able to undertake missions in space and sending a Sri Lankan to space would no longer be a dream," he said.

Sri Lanka News | Online edition of Daily News - Lakehouse Newspapers

Space academy to train Sri Lankan astronauts

Sri Lanka will open a space academy to train astrounauts in Koggala next year.

The programme will be launched as a joint venture between Sri Lanka's Supreme Satellite and China’s biggest satellite manufacturing institution, Great Wall Corporation.

A 30 acre land has been demarcated in Koggala and applications to select students would be called soon, SupremeSAT Managing Director R.M. Manivannan said.

Also we will build a satellite ground station in Koggala to oversee our satellite operations.

Sri Lanka Business News | Online edition of Daily News - Lakehouse Newspapers

Really awesome news. :cheers:

Nice to see the cooperation between China and Sri Lanka is further increasing!!

Sri Lanka sending an astronaut into space :smitten:

z_p01-A-Sri-Lankan.jpg

Good development. :tup:

If it's less than four years then he better starts training ASAP. :moil:

Great news, thats called a friendship leading to the development...
Congratulations to Srilanka and Good job done by China..

said earlier Pakistan might be the one to take ride first, but good news.

I think first Sri Lankan will be President Mahinda's youngest son.

-------------

Sun%20Down%20Party%20(2).jpg

Rohitha Rajapaksa wants to be the youngest Astronaut

Rohitha Rajapaksa, the youngest son of the President Mahinda rajapaksa... a Rugby legend of the country... another Thomian Hero...

Rohitha Rajapksa won the 2 nd place of Carlton Super Sports 2012 motor car SLN upto 1000cc event organized by Tharunyata Hetak Organization. Talking to a newspaper after Super Sport race he said he does not want to become a politician but he wants to be a Astronaut. He also said he want to be the youngest astronaut in the world and bring good name to country.

" I want to be the youngest astronaut. I'm still 22 and when i become 24 - 25 i can go to my target. " Rohitha said.

Good development.

Happy for Srilanka, Pakistan and Bangladesh, that there guys/gals will go to space with the help Chinese space agency.

wait bro don't be hasty.let they find someone from sri lanka,if they can find someone fit for space journey.:enjoy:

No doubt, there is a lot of warriors who want to be the first astronaut from SL and we would like to help to train them.

Good!!! China is a real asian power always help small nations...:)

China can send more than 1 flight into space per year. I think it is quite possible to send astronants from more than one countries in one flight, or in one year.

said earlier Pakistan might be the one to take ride first, but good news.

He need to understand space trip always has its danger. Remember the challenger in 1984?

It is not always for the charming offense.

I think first Sri Lankan will be President Mahinda's youngest son.

-------------

Sun%20Down%20Party%20(2).jpg

Rohitha Rajapaksa, the youngest son of the President Mahinda rajapaksa... a Rugby legend of the country... another Thomian Hero...

Rohitha Rajapksa won the 2 nd place of Carlton Super Sports 2012 motor car SLN upto 1000cc event organized by Tharunyata Hetak Organization. Talking to a newspaper after Super Sport race he said he does not want to become a politician but he wants to be a Astronaut. He also said he want to be the youngest astronaut in the world and bring good name to country.

" I want to be the youngest astronaut. I'm still 22 and when i become 24 - 25 i can go to my target. " Rohitha said.

It will for both. It is just agreement signed. I bet China has similar agreements with Pakistan as well.

why sri lanka, why not pakistan ,there all weather friend.:angel:

Good!!! China is a real asian power always help small nations...:)
yes,a great nation who help the countries which are enemies of their own enemies.like sri lanka, bangladesh, pakistan,north korea,but not somalia, south sudan,israel,vietnam,indonesia,mongolia,bhutan,etc

Back
Top Bottom