What's new

China home: Nobel laureate, Turing Award winner become Chinese citizens, join CAS

TaiShang

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
Following MA and PhD graduates who are returning China after graduation (over 87% of all students enrolled in the US graduate programs have returned in 2016), now the trend is established scholars returning home.

This shows China's progress and ensuing brain-regain, which means a drainage on the previous host nation.

This shows how much China has gone to offer the best conditions.

It also shows home is always sweeter.

Nobel laureate, Turing Award winner become Chinese citizens, join CAS
By Zhang Zhihao | chinadaily.com.cn | Updated: 2017-02-21

b083fe955a741a1630ab2e.jpg

Nobel laureate C.N.Yang (left) and Turing Award winner Yao Qizhi. [File photo]

Nobel laureate C.N.Yang and Turing Award winner Yao Qizhi have become Chinese citizens and officially joined the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) as academicians, the academy's faculty office said on Tuesday.

They are the first overseas scientists to relinquish their foreign citizenship to join the official faculty of China's highest scientific research organization. Yang, 94, would join the mathematical physics department, while Yao, 70, would enter the information technology and science department.

"They are both internationally renowned scholars," the office said in a press statement. "Their entry into the academy's faculty will increase the influence of China's scientific circles globally."

Yang and his colleague Li Zhengdao received the 1957 Nobel Prize in Physics for their work on parity nonconservation of weak interaction, becoming the first Chinese to win a Nobel Prize.

Yao received the Turing Award, the most prestigious award in computer science, in 2000, "in recognition of his fundamental contributions to the theory of computation, including the complexity-based theory of pseudorandom number generation, cryptography, and communication complexity".

In late 2016, both scientists had relinquished their foreign nationality and submitted their request to join the academy. The faculty office had to implement new interim procedures to accept them.

In recent years, the faculty office is actively trying to build a "big academician family", connecting renowned scholars around the world to advice and contribute to China's major scientific development. There are now 754 Chinese and 78 foreign scientists at the academy.

@Jlaw , @oprih , @AndrewJin , @ahojunk , @+4vsgorillas-Apebane , @Chinese-Dragon , @long_ , @rott et al.

Lets hope that this is the trickle before the flood.

There has to be more incentive for mature Chinese scientists to return and bring back with them what they have accomplished in the west. Remuneration will probably not be as high but there is much honor to contribute to the country.

It pisses me off that so much money is spent recruiting foreign foot ball players when scientists and academics are far far more valuable.

Following MA and PhD graduates who are returning China after graduation (over 87% of all students enrolled in the US graduate programs have returned in 2016), now the trend is established scholars returning home.

This shows China's progress and ensuing brain-regain, which means a drainage on the previous host nation.

This shows how much China has gone to offer the best conditions.

It also shows home is always sweeter.

Nobel laureate, Turing Award winner become Chinese citizens, join CAS
By Zhang Zhihao | chinadaily.com.cn | Updated: 2017-02-21

b083fe955a741a1630ab2e.jpg

Nobel laureate C.N.Yang (left) and Turing Award winner Yao Qizhi. [File photo]

Nobel laureate C.N.Yang and Turing Award winner Yao Qizhi have become Chinese citizens and officially joined the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) as academicians, the academy's faculty office said on Tuesday.

They are the first overseas scientists to relinquish their foreign citizenship to join the official faculty of China's highest scientific research organization. Yang, 94, would join the mathematical physics department, while Yao, 70, would enter the information technology and science department.

"They are both internationally renowned scholars," the office said in a press statement. "Their entry into the academy's faculty will increase the influence of China's scientific circles globally."

Yang and his colleague Li Zhengdao received the 1957 Nobel Prize in Physics for their work on parity nonconservation of weak interaction, becoming the first Chinese to win a Nobel Prize.

Yao received the Turing Award, the most prestigious award in computer science, in 2000, "in recognition of his fundamental contributions to the theory of computation, including the complexity-based theory of pseudorandom number generation, cryptography, and communication complexity".

In late 2016, both scientists had relinquished their foreign nationality and submitted their request to join the academy. The faculty office had to implement new interim procedures to accept them.

In recent years, the faculty office is actively trying to build a "big academician family", connecting renowned scholars around the world to advice and contribute to China's major scientific development. There are now 754 Chinese and 78 foreign scientists at the academy.

@Jlaw , @oprih , @AndrewJin , @ahojunk , @+4vsgorillas-Apebane , @Chinese-Dragon , @long_ , @rott et al.
Excellent news bro!
I wish I could come back one day too. Let's see if the Chinese Government accepts me. After all my dad still holds a Chinese passport.
I can get tips from all our beloved Chinese members in here. :D

"Following MA and PhD graduates who are returning China after graduation (over 87% of all students enrolled in the US graduate programs have returned in 2016), now the trend is established scholars returning home."

Yes, 87% is nothing mysterious. You just can't expect everybody from China to be allowed to stay in the US after graduation. There are visa allocation rules. Last time I heard there was about 330,000 Chinese students in US universities. So of course with the rise in the number of students the percentage returning will be expected to go up. For instance in 2005 there were only 60,000 Chinese students. So even a low 13% staying now (42,900) would equal a whopping 70% of that number!!! So the net number staying is probably increasing...unless you think > 70% were staying back in 2005. If you think that was true then it would be an incredible brain drain and certainly not saying much about how life was in China.

Last edited:
Excellent news bro!
I wish I could come back one day too. Let's see if the Chinese Government accepts me. After all my dad still holds a Chinese passport.
I can get tips from all our beloved Chinese members in here. :D

You would certainly been given priority. You may just contact the Overseas Chinese Association or any Embassy, and I am sure they will be happy to assist.

Lets hope that this is the trickle before the flood.

There has to be more incentive for mature Chinese scientists to return and bring back with them what they have accomplished in the west. Remuneration will probably not be as high but there is much honor to contribute to the country.

It pisses me off that so much money is spent recruiting foreign foot ball players when scientists and academics are far far more valuable.

I agree. Government must literally have a list of target personalities and approach them like how a sports club approach a high value player.

They are the first overseas scientists to relinquish their foreign citizenship to join the official faculty of China's highest scientific research organization.

I think this is incorrect.

Shi Yigong is an extraordinary scientist who returned to China, and gave up his American citizenship.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Shi_Yigong

And what is more important is that, he is in his prime age of doing research.

I am sorry to say, but the two gentlemen mentioned above are both extremely old, and way past their productive research periods.

"Following MA and PhD graduates who are returning China after graduation (over 87% of all students enrolled in the US graduate programs have returned in 2016), now the trend is established scholars returning home."

Yes, 87% is nothing mysterious. You just can't expect everybody from China to be allowed to stay in the US after graduation. There are visa allocation rules. Last time I heard there was about 330,000 Chinese students in US universities. So of course with the rise in the number of students the percentage returning will be expected to go up. For instance in 2005 there were only 60,000 Chinese students. So even a low 13% staying now (42,900) would equal a whopping 70% of that number!!! So the net number staying is probably increasing...unless you think > 70% were staying back in 2005. If you think that was true then it would be an incredible brain drain and certainly not saying much about how life was in China.

Yes, the conditions were probably that inadequate and far from being ideal in the 80s and 90s. I am not sure about the life in those times, while China's GDP was about 1.5 trillion USD, I was being carried around on a stroller. But, it must be not so fun in those times.

Nonetheless, the ratio of returnee has increased considerably. But, the absolute number might be larger today than in the past.

Quote: "According to China's Ministry of Education, there were 523,700 Chinese students who went to study in foreign countries in 2015, and 409,100 overseas Chinese students returned after graduation. The out/in ratio was 1.28:1 compared to 2.15:1 a decade ago."

Besides:

Quote: "Statistics released by the Chinese Ministry of Education in 2016 show that, of all students enrolled in foreign degree programs at any tertiary level, some three-quartersreturned to China upon completion of their education. Of those returnees, 80.7 percent held a Master's degree, while 9.5 percent held a foreign doctorate."

Quote: "Huge numbers flocked to the other side of the Pacific to pursue their dreams. They still do, but the year-on-year double-digit growth of Chinese graduates of the past that American schools have come to expect may be over, says a report by the Council of Graduate Schools released on February 9."

Although Fall 2016 applications from prospective Chinese graduates to the 500 American and Canadian Council members still grew by 4 percent, actual enrollments flattened out; importantly, these numbers do not yet include the potential downward trend expected due to a Trump presidency."

https://defence.pk/threads/more-overseas-chinese-students-look-for-jobs-at-home.478516/page-2

Last edited:
Yes, the conditions were probably that inadequate and far from being ideal in the 80s and 90s. I am not sure about the life in those times, while China's GDP was about 1.5 trillion USD, I was being carried around on a stroller. But, it must be not so fun in those times.

Nonetheless, the ratio of returnee has increased considerably. But, the absolute number might be larger today than in the past.

Quote: "According to China's Ministry of Education, there were 523,700 Chinese students who went to study in foreign countries in 2015, and 409,100 overseas Chinese students returned after graduation. The out/in ratio was 1.28:1 compared to 2.15:1 a decade ago."

Besides:

Quote: "Statistics released by the Chinese Ministry of Education in 2016 show that, of all students enrolled in foreign degree programs at any tertiary level, some three-quartersreturned to China upon completion of their education. Of those returnees, 80.7 percent held a Master's degree, while 9.5 percent held a foreign doctorate."

Quote: "Huge numbers flocked to the other side of the Pacific to pursue their dreams. They still do, but the year-on-year double-digit growth of Chinese graduates of the past that American schools have come to expect may be over, says a report by the Council of Graduate Schools released on February 9."

Although Fall 2016 applications from prospective Chinese graduates to the 500 American and Canadian Council members still grew by 4 percent, actual enrollments flattened out; importantly, these numbers do not yet include the potential downward trend expected due to a Trump presidency."

https://defence.pk/threads/more-overseas-chinese-students-look-for-jobs-at-home.478516/page-2
Screen Shot 2017-02-21 at 10.55.10 PM.jpg

I think double digit is an understatement. This only goes to 2010. I know it was 330,000 in 2015. A lot of people never went back. I'm sure the visa maximum has been hit every year since 2007.

Last edited:
View attachment 379090
I think double digit is an understatement. This only goes to 2010. I know it was 330,000 in 2015. A lot of people never went back. I'm sure the visa maximum has been hit every year since 2007.

Students from China are everywhere along with the rise in income. In Japan, Chinese students compose about half of the all foreign students in the country.

In the US, the growth ratio seems to be plateaud. I think it will hover around 300.000 for a while while return ratio continues to grow. In fact, 87% return ratio is not that bad considering the fact that China is still a developing country and most of its research institutes are in their infancy.

Lots and lots of people are coming back after they receive education in the overseas.

"There were 523,700 Chinese students who went to study in foreign countries in 2015, and 409,100 overseas Chinese students returned after graduation."

In 2015, about 100.000 more people went to overseas than those who returned right after graduation. It also happens that some return few years after graduation if they are employed right away. The historical return ratio should be over 90%.

What I care is not how many people want to go to overseas for advanced study but how many of them want to return after graduation. The return ratio is in upward trend.

Last edited:
Sure, brother. I am a 台胞;my status is somewhat different. Make sure you tag other Mainland brothers for the best response.
Time will definitely come. :china::partay:
I had a discussion with my wife. Now we have planned to move back to China. This is mainly because of my daughter. I am afraid the western culture will destroy her.
This is a good news Chinese Brothers. :cheers:
@Chinese-Dragon
@+4vsgorillas-Apebane, @ahojunk, @Beast
@beijingwalker, @Shotgunner51, @AndrewJin, @Jlaw, @TaiShang, @Chinese-Dragon, @eldarlmari, @Two @lonelyman @endyashainin @xunzi @rcrmj @samsara @tanlixiang28776 @waz @oprih @rcrmj @faithfulguy @maximuswarrior
@PaklovesTurkiye @hirobo2
@DESERT FIGHTER @Spring Onion @somebozo

I had a discussion with my wife. Now we have planned to move back to China. This is mainly because of my daughter. I am afraid the western culture will destroy her.
@Chinese-Dragon
@beijingwalker, @Shotgunner51, @AndrewJin, @Jlaw, @TaiShang, @Chinese-Dragon, @eldarlmari, @Two @lonelyman @endyashainin @xunzi @rcrmj @samsara @tanlixiang28776 @waz @oprih @rcrmj @faithfulguy @maximuswarrior

Be it in China or outside of China, cultural consciousness of one's ancestral roots are of great importance. Of course, the closer to the Source, the higher the chances to internalize it. In this regard, moving to China to ensure greatest cultural exposure makes absolute sense. Western experience will definitely broaden the horizon to further appreciate the genetically coded ancestral values.

Anytime I land on the Mainland, I feel the vibe, the excitement in the air, the revolutionary potential of still ongoing destructive creativity, the can-do attitude, and forward-looking-ness. I am certain the kids of China compatriots will feel the creative-innovative suspense more than I do.

The ongoing three-facades of China Dream is no less exciting, existential and potential than the historical moment in 1949. I think every compatriot should, and has the stake to, partake in the ongoing rebuild and rejuvenation.

@Chinese-Dragon

Can I ask you what is it that you do?
And what is it that your wife does?

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom