China crushes India in BRICS university ranking

beijingwalker

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
Text SizeAnsuya Harjani | Writer, CNBC Asia
China has dominated a ranking of the top BRICS universities, with 40 mainland institutions making it into the top 100, compared with just 16 for economic rival India.

Tsinghua University, referred to as "China's MIT [Massachusetts Institute of Technology],"grabbed first place, according to a ranking by Quacquarelli Symonds (QS), which is based on eight key indicators including faculty-to-student ratio, the number of staff members holding a PhD, and reputation among employers.

The Beijing-based institution produces more state leaders and senior officials than any other mainland university, according to local media, including the current and former presidents Xi Jinping and Hu Jintao.

"It is not surprising that China leads the pack, given the size of its economy and population and the massive resources it has been putting into higher education. This BRICS ranking points to a sharp contrast between Indian and Chinese achievement in higher education," said Zoya Zaitseva, project director for QS University Rankings.

No Indian university featured in the top 10, with the highest ranked university - Indian Institute of Technology - taking the 13th spot.

"Despite being only marginally smaller in population, India has only 16 institutions listed here, less than half China's haul. While India has world-class institutions in science and technology, its comprehensive universities are not as strong in an international context," Zaitseva added.

Interestingly, while Tsinghua is ranked at the top of the BRIC table, it placed 48th in QS' latest world university rankings - a sign that China and its emerging market peers have a way to go in terms in global academia.

Peking University (China), Lomonosov Moscow State University (Russia), Fudan University (China), Nanjing University (China) claimed second through fifth place, in ascending order.

Shanghai Jiao Tong University (China), University of Science and Technology of China (China), Universidade de São Paulo (Brazil), Zhejiang University (China) and Universidade Estadual de Campinas (Brazil) ranked sixth to tenth place.

Overall, Russian, Brazilian and South African universities claimed 19, 17 and 8 spots, respectively in the top 100.

"Russia performs well in this ranking and demonstrates great progress as a part of its ambition to have five universities in the global top 100 by 2020. There are ambitious plans to expand the number of Brazilian students studying abroad; over time, the result could be a more internationally-integrated Brazilian university system," said Ben Sowter, head of research at QS.

"South Africa's university system is fast-changing, with new institutions being launched and old ones reformed; its strengths include strong international connections as well as productive and well-regarded researchers. Its universities are consistently good at attracting international students and staff, in line perhaps with its mission of African leadership in higher education," Sowter added.

—By CNBC's Ansuya Harjani; Follow her on Twitter:

On the international level, China's university rankings are still not good enough and there's a long way to go. I don't think we have a single entry in the Shanghai Jiaotong top 100.

Here is what the OP is talking about:
QS University Rankings: BRICS 2013 | Top Universities

The ranking does not mean much for many Chinese universities because one of the major obstacles is the language barrier in attracting foreign students and teachers, researchers and the other is the language barrier in publication. We have our own set of journals in all major disciplines which are published in Chinese but they do not gain international recognitions.

Last edited:
I went to the Larry Storch school of acting, heating and air-conditioning. Still ranks over any Asian school.

Your MBA failed to educate you that QS ranking is run by a British co? Case in point why Indian universities can't even break into top 12 within BRIC.

QS ranking or any ranking...the data is provided by the universities. Knowing Chinese I have no doubt that most of the data that they must have provided is exaggerated.

QS ranking or any ranking...the data is provided by the universities. Knowing Chinese I have no doubt that most of the data that they must have provided is exaggerated.

Research papers and citation are verifiable data. They are published in academic journal. Every ranking has different methodology, specific rank varies, but all of them point to the same trend: Chinese university are ranked much higher than Indian.

You can't argue against facts. Learn to accept it and be gracious.

any IIT is better then the best number 1 Chinese university..

and we have number of IITs..

Who cares about such paid rankings.... Well for one it is clear that the only thing that matters to Chinese is paid rankings.. lol

The standard of Chinese education and their scientists is two levels below Indian counterparts. Their teachers are not even free to express their opinion, and cheating/Plagiarism is considered a fundamental right in all top universities.

Last time I know, the parents of one school were angry and throwing stones at the school when their kids were not allowed to cheat for the first time (all the previous years they cheated) in one of the TOP NOTCH entrance exam.. they said when everyone is cheating across the whole country, then why their kids are not allowed...:woot:

I am now sure in 20 years India would be 10 times ahead of China.. .reason is India has quality, China has fake numbers.

Last edited:
Research papers and citation are verifiable data. They are published in academic journal. Every ranking has different methodology, specific rank varies, but all of them point to the same trend: Chinese university are ranked much higher than Indian.

You can't argue against facts. Learn to accept it and be gracious.

I have no qualms in accepting if I am wrong.

Everyone can write a 'research paper', and there are million academic journals.

The day one rejects an offer from a top 100 university in US and goes to one of those Chinese universities I would say that Chinese university is in top 100.

I have no qualms in accepting if I am wrong.

Everyone can write a 'research paper', and there are million academic journals.

The day one rejects an offer from a top 100 university in US and goes to one of those Chinese universities I would say that Chinese university is in top 100.

No, you do have qualms. You've already been proven wrong when you said chinese fake data. QS is British and the data are all verifiable. Fact no. 1

Fact no 2. Everyone can write a research paper?? Why do your IITs failed so miserably in this area?Writing research paper is one thing, ability to get it published is a different thing, having the article cited by peers is quite another thing. My friend, you can't smoke your way out here. I'm not your ave Indian.

Your mentioning of US institutions is a loser's attempt to divert the subject matter. It is not going to hide the fact that Indian universities ranked miserably below the Chinese ones.
Learn to accept facts, learn to be gracious, it's good for character development.

Back
Top Bottom