Childhood Trauma Alters Neural Responses to Stress

Dubious

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
March 5, 2015 | by Janet Fang

TOP%20figure.jpg

photo credit: Brain regions showing significantly greater activation in the high-trauma-exposed group in response to stress cues, compared to the low-trauma-exposed group / 2015 J. Elsey et al., Nature Publishing Group

Trauma experienced early in life has been linked to anxiety, depression, obesity, and substance abuse later on. Researchers examining the brain scans of 64 teenagers now say that these and other psychiatric disorders or risky behaviors may be the result of altered neural responses to both stressful and relaxing cues.

Previous neuroimaging studies have associated childhood maltreatment with abnormalities in certain brain regions, but these studies have been both too generic and limited. So,Yale’s Marc Potenza and colleagues examined functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) data for 40 boys and 24 girls between 14 and 18 years old with varying exposure to maltreatment-related trauma. This ranged from prenatal cocaine exposure to abuse and neglect. In particular, the team wanted to see which brain regions were activated in response to individually tailored stimuli: personally relevant stress, favorite foods, and neutral and relaxing scenarios (like sitting in the park or unwinding in your own room).

The team found that, compared to the low-trauma group, participants in the high-trauma group showed greater activation in several cortical regions in response to stress (pictured above). These areas showing “hyper-responsivity” to stress cues have important roles in emotional regulation. As for the neutral or relaxing cues, the high-trauma group showed a significantly decreased activation in the cerebellar vermis and right cerebellum. With their roles in processes like regulating arousal, this decreased activation might reflect diminished self-control. The two groups didn’t show significant differences in their responses to favorite-food cues.

The work indicates that “youth exposed to higher levels of trauma may experience different brain responses to similar stressors,” Potenza tells Reuters. These findings suggest the possibility that there might exist different sensitivities to the relative allocation of brain resources to stressful stimuli in the environment and may hold multiple implications for prevention and treatment efforts.

The findings were published in Neuropsychopharmacology last month.

Childhood Trauma Alters Neural Responses to Stress | IFLScience

Great now people get another get out of jail free card! Why did you rape oh this side of my brain was damaged coz my parent was a snorting stuff/ drug addict/ junky! Lovely!

Last edited:
Injury Prevention & Control : Division of Violence Prevention

The Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) Study is one of the largest investigations ever conducted to assess associations between childhood maltreatment and later-life health and well-being. The study is a collaboration between the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Kaiser Permanente's Health Appraisal Clinic in San Diego.

More than 17,000 Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) members undergoing a comprehensive physical examination chose to provide detailed information about their childhood experience of abuse, neglect, and family dysfunction. To date, more than 50 scientific articles have been published and more than 100 conference and workshop presentations have been made.

The ACE Study findings suggest that certain experiences are major risk factors for the leading causes of illness and death as well as poor quality of life in the United States. It is critical to understand how some of the worst health and social problems in our nation can arise as a consequence of adverse childhood experiences. Realizing these connections is likely to improve efforts towards prevention and recovery.

ace_pyramid_home.jpg

Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) Study|Child Maltreatment|Violence Prevention|Injury Center|CDC

Watch laterFavoriteDownloadRate
Nadine Burke Harris:
How childhood trauma affects health across a lifetime

Childhood trauma isn’t something you just get over as you grow up. Pediatrician Nadine Burke Harris explains that the repeated stress of abuse, neglect and parents struggling with mental health or substance abuse issues has real, tangible effects on the development of the brain. This unfolds across a lifetime, to the point where those who’ve experienced high levels of trauma are at triple the risk for heart disease and lung cancer. An impassioned plea for pediatric medicine to confront the prevention and treatment of trauma, head-on.
Nadine Burke Harris: How childhood trauma affects health across a lifetime | Talk Video | TED.com

Nadine Burke Harris’ healthcare practice focuses on a little-understood, yet very common factor in childhood that can profoundly impact adult-onset disease: trauma.
Why you should listen

Pediatrician Nadine Burke Harris noticed a disturbing trend as she treated children in an underserved neighborhood in San Francisco: that many of the kids who came to see her had experienced childhood trauma. She began studying how childhood exposure to adverse events affects brain development, as well as a person’s health as an adult.

Understanding this powerful correlation, Burke Harris became the founder and CEO of the Center for Youth Wellness, an initiative at the California Pacific Medical Center Bayview Child Health Center that seeks to create a clinical model that recognizes and effectively treats toxic stress in children. Her work pushes the health establishment to reexamine its relationship to social risk factors, and advocates for medical interventions to counteract the damaging impact of stress. Her goal: to change the standard of pediatric practice, across demographics.

In the mid-'90s, the CDC and Kaiser Permanente discovered an exposure that dramatically increased the risk for seven out of 10 of the leading causes of death in the United States. In high doses, it affects brain development, the immune system, hormonal systems, and even the way our DNA is read and transcribed. Folks who are exposed in very high doses have triple the lifetime risk of heart disease and lung cancer and a 20-year difference in life expectancy. And yet, doctors today are not trained in routine screening or treatment. Now, the exposure I'm talking about is not a pesticide or a packaging chemical.It's childhood trauma.

Okay. What kind of trauma am I talking about here? I'm not talking about failing a test or losing a basketball game. I am talking about threats that are so severe or pervasive that they literally get under our skin and change our physiology: things like abuse or neglect, or growing up with a parent who struggles with mental illness or substance dependence.

Now, for a long time, I viewed these things in the way I was trained to view them, either as a social problem -- refer to social services -- or as a mental health problem -- refer to mental health services. And then something happened to make me rethink my entire approach. When I finished my residency, I wanted to go someplace where I felt really needed, someplace where I could make a difference. So I came to work for California Pacific Medical Center, one of the best private hospitals in Northern California, and together, we opened a clinic in Bayview-Hunters Point, one of the poorest, most underserved neighborhoods in San Francisco. Now, prior to that point, there had been only one pediatrician in all of Bayview to serve more than 10,000 children, so we hung a shingle, and we were able to provide top-quality care regardless of ability to pay. It was so cool. We targeted the typical health disparities: access to care, immunization rates, asthma hospitalization rates, and we hit all of our numbers. We felt very proud of ourselves.

But then I started noticing a disturbing trend. A lot of kids were being referred to me for ADHD, or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, but when I actually did a thorough history and physical, what I found was that for most of my patients, I couldn't make a diagnosis of ADHD. Most of the kids I was seeing had experienced such severe trauma that it felt like something else was going on. Somehow I was missing something important.

Now, before I did my residency, I did a master's degree in public health, and one of the things that they teach you in public health school is that if you're a doctor and you see 100 kids that all drink from the same well, and 98 of them develop diarrhea, you can go ahead and write that prescription for dose after dose after dose of antibiotics, or you can walk over and say, "What the hell is in this well?" So I began reading everything that I could get my hands on about how exposure to adversity affects the developing brains and bodies of children.

And then one day, my colleague walked into my office, and he said, "Dr. Burke, have you seen this?" In his hand was a copy of a research study called the Adverse Childhood Experiences Study. That day changed my clinical practice and ultimately my career.

The Adverse Childhood Experiences Study is something that everybody needs to know about. It was done by Dr. Vince Felitti at Kaiser and Dr. Bob Anda at the CDC, and together, they asked 17,500 adults about their history of exposure to what they called "adverse childhood experiences," or ACEs. Those include physical, emotional, or sexual abuse; physical or emotional neglect; parental mental illness, substance dependence, incarceration; parental separation or divorce; or domestic violence. For every yes, you would get a point on your ACE score. And then what they did was they correlated these ACE scores against health outcomes. What they found was striking. Two things: Number one, ACEs are incredibly common. Sixty-seven percent of the population had at least one ACE, and 12.6 percent, one in eight, had four or more ACEs. The second thing that they found was that there was a dose-response relationship between ACEs and health outcomes: the higher your ACE score, the worse your health outcomes. For a person with an ACE score of four or more, their relative risk of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease was two and a half times that of someone with an ACE score of zero. For hepatitis, it was also two and a half times. For depression, it was four and a half times. For suicidality, it was 12 times. A person with an ACE score of seven or more had triple the lifetime risk of lung cancer and three and a half times the risk of ischemic heart disease, the number one killer in the United States of America.

Well, of course this makes sense. Some people looked at this data and they said, "Come on. You have a rough childhood, you're more likely to drink and smoke and do all these things that are going to ruin your health. This isn't science. This is just bad behavior."

It turns out this is exactly where the science comes in. We now understand better than we ever have before how exposure to early adversity affects the developing brains and bodies of children. It affects areas like the nucleus accumbens, the pleasure and reward center of the brain that is implicated in substance dependence. It inhibits the prefrontal cortex, which is necessary for impulse control and executive function, a critical area for learning. And on MRI scans, we see measurable differences in the amygdala, the brain's fear response center. So there are real neurologic reasons why folks exposed to high doses of adversity are more likely to engage in high-risk behavior, and that's important to know.

But it turns out that even if you don't engage in any high-risk behavior, you're still more likely to develop heart disease or cancer. The reason for this has to do with the hypothalamic–pituitary–adrenal axis, the brain's and body's stress response system that governs our fight-or-flight response. How does it work?Well, imagine you're walking in the forest and you see a bear. Immediately, your hypothalamus sends a signal to your pituitary, which sends a signal to your adrenal gland that says, "Release stress hormones! Adrenaline! Cortisol!" And so your heart starts to pound, Your pupils dilate, your airways open up, and you are ready to either fight that bear or run from the bear. And that is wonderful if you're in a forest and there's a bear. (Laughter) But the problem is what happens when the bear comes home every night, and this system is activated over and over and over again, and it goes from being adaptive, or life-saving, to maladaptive, or health-damaging. Children are especially sensitive to this repeated stress activation,because their brains and bodies are just developing. High doses of adversity not only affect brain structure and function, they affect the developing immune system, developing hormonal systems, and even the way our DNA is read and transcribed.

So for me, this information threw my old training out the window, because when we understand the mechanism of a disease, when we know not only which pathways are disrupted, but how, then as doctors, it is our job to use this science for prevention and treatment. That's what we do.

So in San Francisco, we created the Center for Youth Wellness to prevent, screen and heal the impacts of ACEs and toxic stress. We started simply with routine screening of every one of our kids at their regular physical, because I know that if my patient has an ACE score of 4, she's two and a half times as likely to develop hepatitis or COPD, she's four and half times as likely to become depressed, and she's 12 times as likely to attempt to take her own life as my patient with zero ACEs. I know that when she's in my exam room. For our patients who do screen positive, we have a multidisciplinary treatment team that works to reduce the dose of adversity and treat symptoms using best practices, including home visits, care coordination, mental health care, nutrition, holistic interventions, and yes, medication when necessary. But we also educate parents about the impacts of ACEs and toxic stress the same way you would for covering electrical outlets, or lead poisoning, and we tailor the care of our asthmatics and our diabetics in a way that recognizes that they may need more aggressive treatment, given the changes to their hormonal and immune systems.

So the other thing that happens when you understand this science is that you want to shout it from the rooftops, because this isn't just an issue for kids in Bayview. I figured the minute that everybody else heard about this, it would be routine screening, multi-disciplinary treatment teams, and it would be a race to the most effective clinical treatment protocols. Yeah. That did not happen. And that was a huge learning for me. What I had thought of as simply best clinical practice I now understand to be a movement. In the words of Dr. Robert Block, the former President of the American Academy of Pediatrics, "Adverse childhood experiences are the single greatest unaddressed public health threatfacing our nation today." And for a lot of people, that's a terrifying prospect. The scope and scale of the problem seems so large that it feels overwhelming to think about how we might approach it. But for me, that's actually where the hopes lies, because when we have the right framework, when we recognize this to be a public health crisis, then we can begin to use the right tool kit to come up with solutions. From tobacco to lead poisoning to HIV/AIDS, the United States actually has quite a strong track record with addressing public health problems, but replicating those successes with ACEs and toxic stress is going to take determination and commitment, and when I look at what our nation's response has been so far, I wonder, why haven't we taken this more seriously?

You know, at first I thought that we marginalized the issue because it doesn't apply to us. That's an issue for those kids in those neighborhoods. Which is weird, because the data doesn't bear that out. The original ACEs study was done in a population that was 70 percent Caucasian, 70 percent college-educated. But then, the more I talked to folks, I'm beginning to think that maybe I had it completely backwards. If I were to ask how many people in this room grew up with a family member who suffered from mental illness, I bet a few hands would go up. And then if I were to ask how many folks had a parent who maybe drank too much, or who really believed that if you spare the rod, you spoil the child, I bet a few more hands would go up. Even in this room, this is an issue that touches many of us, and I am beginning to believe that we marginalize the issue because it does apply to us. Maybe it's easier to see in other zip codes because we don't want to look at it. We'd rather be sick.

Fortunately, scientific advances and, frankly, economic realities make that option less viable every day.The science is clear: Early adversity dramatically affects health across a lifetime. Today, we are beginning to understand how to interrupt the progression from early adversity to disease and early death, and 30 years from now, the child who has a high ACE score and whose behavioral symptoms go unrecognized,whose asthma management is not connected, and who goes on to develop high blood pressure and early heart disease or cancer will be just as anomalous as a six-month mortality from HIV/AIDS. People will look at that situation and say, "What the heck happened there?" This is treatable. This is beatable.The single most important thing that we need today is the courage to look this problem in the face and say, this is real and this is all of us. I believe that we are the movement.

Thank you.
Nadine Burke Harris: How childhood trauma affects health across a lifetime | Talk Subtitles and Transcript | TED.com

I shudder to think how kids (now in their 30s or 40s) from Palestine, Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan and other countries which have been torn apart thanks to greedy people who came to torture their people...

Or those immigrants who have been marginalized verbally abused, oppressed....O yea alot of shit is splashing back in some people's faces!

What I really am troubled about is kids in Pakistan!

@Emmie @Gufi @S.U.R.B. @Manticore @chauvunist forgot who else is in medical from Pakistan...do we have any awareness of this like in Pakistan?

@DRaisinHerald or is it @DiehardPakNerd one of you 2 is studying for medical (i think)

@Secur @Slav Defence (interesting read)

@he-man no trolling Daktar...

I mean it is kinda long shot asking about such stuff esp of Pakistan!!

Last edited:
I worry about the poor souls in Peshawar, poor kids saw their school mates die infront of them; They would be suffering from PTSD:(

Behavioral neuroscience is a major focus of mine both professionally as a behavioral psychology, educationally during my Masters program and personally as an area of interest, understanding and combating PTSD remains a common goal in the global medical community right now.

SvenSvensonov

PTSD from Childhood Abuse Profoundly Alters Gene Expression, May Be Distinct Subtype

Adults with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) who were abused or mistreated as children have dramatic differences in gene expression from those who suffered trauma later in life, according to a new study. The findings may reveal a biologically distinct subtype of the psychiatric disorder.

A growing body of evidence suggests that symptoms of PTSD involve distinct epigenetic alterations, which change how segments of a person's genome are expressed without altering the DNA itself. Looking for such biological markers can help diagnose and identify risk for PTSD.

The new research, published this week in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS), adds strong findings in support of the epigenetic theory.

"These are some of the most robust findings to date showing that different biological pathways may describe different subtypes of a psychiatric disorder, which appear similar at the level of symptoms but may be very different at the level of underlying biology," said Emory University School of Medicine researcher Dr. Kerry Ressler in a news release.

The research team, led by Dr. Divya Mehta and Dr. Elizabeth Binder of the Max-Planck Institute of Psychiatry in Munich, Germany, examined blood samples from 169 individuals who participated in the Grady Trauma Project, a study of thousands of Atlanta civilians with high risk for PTSD after exposure to violence, physical trauma, and sexual abuse throughout their lifetimes.

The participants, mostly middle-aged African-Americans, were separated into three groups: 108 people who had experienced lifetime trauma but did not develop PTSD, 32 who developed PTSD after childhood abuse, and 29 who developed PTSD without childhood abuse.

Mehta's team then analyzed the blood samples to look for patterns in a genetic modification called DNA methylation, which can indicate which stress-related genes are turned "on" or "off."

The results showed that, while the PTSD patients all experienced similar symptoms like nightmares, flashbacks, hypervigilance, and avoidance of trauma triggers, the epigenetic evidence showed strong differences between the genetic expression patterns of those with and without childhood abuse.

PTSD patients with past childhood abuse had more alterations in genes related to brain development and immune regulation, and had a higher rate of DNA methylation changes.

Those whose PTSD came from later trauma, on the other hand, had more changes in genes that regulated cell growth and promoted cell death.

Both patterns suggest that PTSD develops as a result of epigenetic changes at different points in life, though the different pathways likely involve different biological mechanisms that lead to similar psychological symptoms.

Whatever those mechanisms are, the study indicates robust support for the idea that changes in gene expression can severely alter a person's stress resilience and risk for PTSD later in life.

"Traumatic events that happen in childhood are embedded in the cells for a long time," Binder said in the news release. "Not only the disease itself, but the individual's life experience is important in the biology of PTSD, and this should be to be reflected in the way we treat these disorders."

Further research on these distinct biological pathways may lead to therapies specifically targeted to PTSD involving the presence or absence of previous child abuse, and indicate whether people who suffered childhood abuse may be at risk of developing PTSD from exposure to other traumatic situations like military combat.

Some background history on PTSD for persepective:

From "Irritable Heart" to "Shellshock": How Post-Traumatic Stress Became a Disease

When people have suffered a violent or horrifying experience, the trauma can follow them around for years — and we call that Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). From soldiers to accident victims to rape survivors, tons of people have found themselves haunted by their terrible experiences.

But PTSD didn't enter our vocabulary until 1980, when it was added to the DSM-III. Before that, there were many terms for the condition, and many people wrote about it, including Dickens and Shakespeare. How did people describe PTSD before 1980, and how did it come to be recognized as a syndrome, separate from grief or regular depression? Here's the secret history of trauma and recovery.

Early reports

Many ancient religious texts talk about the terrible aftermath of trauma — including the Book of Job, in which Job appears to be suffering from mental disturbance after his horrible experiences. And the Mahabharata describes the combat-related stress of warriors in the Mahabharat War.

The Greek historian Herotodus writes a lot about PTSD, according to a presentation by Mylea Charvat to the Veterans Administration. One soldier, fighting in the battle of Marathon in 490 BC, reportedly went blind after the man standing next to him was killed, even though the blinded soldier "was wounded in no part of his body." Also, Herotodus records that the Spartan leader Leonidas — yes, the guy from 300 — dismissed his men from combat because he realized they were mentally exhausted from too much fighting.

Also, some experts think the Iliad is describing PTSD when Homer says Ajax went mad under Athena's spell, slaughtering a herd of sheep that he thought were the enemy, and then killing himself.

Shakespeare writes a pretty dead-on description of PTSD in Henry IV Part 2, as Michael R. Trimble points out in Trauma and its Wake Vol. 1. Lady Percy observes Harry Percy having terrible nightmares in which he murmurs "tale of iron wars," and talks to his "bounding steed." And when he's awake, Harry is like a ghost. She says to him:

Tell me, sweet lord, what is't that takes from thee
Thy stomach, pleasure, and thy golden sleep?
Why dost thou bend thine eyes upon the earth,
And start so often when thou sit'st alone?
Why hast thou lost the fresh blood in thy cheeks,
And given my treasures and my rights of thee
To thick-eyed musing and cursed melancholy?

There's also that speech in Macbeth, where he asks, "Canst thou not minister to a mind diseased/Pluck from the memory a rooted sorrow?"

Likewise, Trimble notes, Samuel Pepys describes his trauma after the Great Fire of London, which left him with "dreams of the fire and the falling down of houses." He had a hard time sleeping due to his "great terrors of fire," and actually considered suicide.

Charles Dickens writes about being "curiously weak... as if I were recovering from a long illness," after a traumatizingrailway accident in which the front of the train plunged off a bridge under repair and 10 people died, with another 49 injured. Dickens wrote in letters to people: "I begin to feel it more in my head. I sleep well and eat well; but I write half a dozen notes, and turn faint and sick... I am getting right, though still low in pulse and very nervous." Dickens also writes about being unable to travel by rail, because he keeps getting the feeling that the train carriage is tipping over on one side, which is "inexpressibly distressing." Dickens was never as prolific after this incident, and he died on the fifth anniversary of the train crash.

But it's also true that PTSD wasn't fully recognized until around 100 years ago — and there are a few factors, including: 1) the rise of modern psychology, 2) modern warfare, with all of its huge explosions and ever-more-efficient killing machines, and 3) the rise of things like worker's compensation and lawsuits, making people more likely to report when they've been traumatized after an incident. So what did people call this condition in the past?

Many Names
According to psychologist Edward Tick, PTSD has had more than 80 names over the years. Here are just some of them:

Nostalgia This is the diagnosis given to Swiss soldiers in 1678 by Dr. Johannes Hofer. In 1761, Austrian physician Josef Leopold Auenbrugger wrote about the widely diagnosed condition of nostalgia in his book Inventum Novum, writing that soldiers "become sad, taciturn, listless, solitary, musing, full of sighs and moans. Finally, these cease to pay attention and become indifferent to everything which the maintenance of life requires of them. This disease is called nostalgia." French physicians in the Napoleonic wars believed soldiers were more likely to suffer nostalgia if they had come from a rural, rather than urban, background. They prescribed such cures as listening to music, regular exercise, and "useful instruction."

Homesickness Around the same time, German soldiers were calling the same conditionheimweh, and the French called it "maladie du pays" — both terms basically mean "homesickness."

Estar Roto Spanish physicians came up with this term for PTSD, which means "to be broken."

Soldier's Heart
Internal medicine doctor Jacob Mendez da Costa studied Civil War veterans in the United States, and discovered that many of them suffered from chest-thumping (tachycardia), anxiety, and shortness of breath. He called this syndrome "Soldier's Heart" or "Irritable Heart." But it also came to be called "Da Costa Syndrome."

Neurasthenia/Hysteria
These classic Victorian descriptions for anybody who suffered from excessive neurosis or nervousness included many symptoms that would now be considered signs of PTSD, judging from James Beard's definitive text on neurasthenia, published in 1890.

Compensation Sickness or Railway Spine
As railroad travel became much more common in the late 19th century, so did railroad accidents — and psychologists started noticing a lot of cases of trauma among survivors of those accidents. (Just like Charles Dickens.) Psychologist CTJ Rigler coined the term "compensation neurosis" to describe these cases — with the "compensation" part referring to a new law that allowed people to sue for compensation for emotional suffering. Rigler believed people were more likely to report their traumatic symptoms — or possibly exaggerate them — if they were going to get paid. Victims of railway accidents were also referred to as having "Railway Spine," as if their spinal cords had suffered a concussion that caused them to be more nervous or tramautized afterwards.

Shell Shock
Dating from World War I, "shell shock" is probably the most famous term for PTSD. By December 1914, up to 10 percent of officers were suffering from shell shock, and 40 percent of casualties from the Battle of the Somme were shell-shocked.

Combat Exhaustion
That's what it started being called during World War II and the Korean War. People also called it "combat fatigue." The Army studied the problem, and decided that "unit cohesion" was a crucial factor in surviving this syndrome, and replacement soldiers were more prone to it because they were new to their units. And as Charvat notes, there's an ad in the September 17, 1945 issue of Life Magazine touting Wyeth Pharmaceuticals' products in treating both colic and "battle reaction and mental trauma."

Stress Response Syndrome
That's the term it was given in the DSM-I in 1952. And that's the condition that Vietnam War soldiers were diagnosed with. In the DSM-II this syndrome was lumped in with some others, in a new category called "situational disorders."

Clinical Debates
Once it was recognized as a medical condition, the nature of PTSD was still up for a lot of debate, including:

Was it physical or psychological?
The term "shell shock" sort of conjures an idea of someone's brain getting rattled inside its skull by exploding shells. And indeed, that's pretty close to what the term meant. Similarly, as we mentioned above, "railway spine" was based on the notion that railway accidents caused damage to the spinal cord, even if the patient appeared physically unharmed.

One of the first experts on "shell shock" was Frederick Walker Mott, who believed that explosions caused physical lesions on the brain, perhaps exacerbated by carbon monoxide or changes in atmospheric pressure. (Although Mott did believe that psychological trauma was part of the problem as well.) He writes in his landmark 1919 study:

Physical shock accompanied by horrifying circumstances, causing profound emotional shock and terror, which is contemplative fear, or fear continually revived by the imagination, has a much more intense and lasting effect on the mind than simple [physical] shock has. Thus a man under my care, who was naturally of a timorous disposition and always felt faint at the sight of blood, gave the following history. He belonged to a Highland regiment. He had only been in France a short time and was one of a company who were sent to repair the barbed wire entanglements in front of their trench when a great shell burst amidst them. He was hurled into the air and fell into a hole, out of which he scrambled to find his comrades lying dead and wounded around. He knew no more, and for a fortnight lay in a hospital in Boulogne. When admitted under my care he displayed a picture of abject terror, muttering continually, "no send back," "dead all round," moving his arms as if pointing to the terrible scene he had witnessed.

But Charles Myers, who wrote about "shell shock" in a 1915 Lancet article, contended later that proximity to an explosion was not a key cause of the condition. Rather, these were cases where "the tolerable or controllable limits of horror, fear, anxiety, etc. are overstepped." In 1940, at last, Myers published his groundbreaking study of 2,000 cases of shell shock, and was able to identify many cases which did not directly involve explosions.

Another World War I researcher, Millais Culpin, described dissociative states that were linked to extreme terror. When he asked a soldier to close his eyes and describe his first experience of fighting, he "seemed to be living his experience over again with more than hallucinatory vividness, ducking as shells came over or trembling as he took refuge from them."

Meanwhile, as for "railroad spine," a surgeon named Herbert Page who worked for the London and North West Railway published a whole book in 1890 called Injuries of the Spine and Spinal Cord Without Apparent Mechanical Lesion, in which he contended these patients were really suffering from "nervous shock," not physical injury."

Was it short-term or long-term?
Starting after World War II, psychologists started classifying all of these cases of trauma, based on loads of notes that the Armed Forces had been collecting since 1933. There was just one trouble: the military shrinks were working on the assumption that all of these cases were "transitory" or "acute." Meaning that otherwise normal people would have a short-term problem, after they got back from combat, but that by its nature this wouldn't last long.

Because the psychological studies were based on the military data, which all made this assumption, psychologists also assumed that cases of PTSD would be short-term or temporary in nature.

After the Vietnam War, countless veterans were diagnosed with "stress response syndrome" — but the VA declared that if the problem lasted more than six months after the soldiers returned home, then it obviously was a pre-existing condition and had nothing to do with their wartime service. And thus, it was no longer covered.

It wasn't until DSM-III in 1980 and ICD-10 in 1992 that the clinical guidelines started to acknowledge that these problems could be chronic. And that this problem could be an "anxiety disorder" rather than a short-term adjustment. This change came in the wake of researchers working with a large number of Vietnam veterans — like World War II, the Vietnam War was a huge boost to PTSD research, and you could find a large number of people suffering from the same symptoms within the same city, so you had tons of ready data.

A big proponent of reclassifying PTSD as an anxiety disorder, rather than an adjustment disorder, was Boston University's David H. Barlow. He theorized that when people who have psychological and physiological vulnerability get exposed to a stressful event, they develop the belief that these stressful events are unpredictable and uncontrollable — and they will become fearful about the repetition of this stress. This leads to a cycle of "chronic overarousal" and "anxious apprehension." These, in turn, lead to people being excessively vigilant, with shortened attention spans, and the way people process information gets distorted.

In short, they have major stress as a result of a trauma they've experienced. Hence, PTSD.

Sources:

Trauma and its Wake: The Study and Treatment of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (Charles R. Figley, ed.)
War and the Soul: Healing Our Nation's Veterans from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder by Edward Tick, PhD.
"Shell shock, Gordon Holmes and the Great War" by A.D. Macleod, Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine.
"History of Post-traumatic Stress Disorder in Combat," presentation by Mylea Charvat, MS to Veterans Administration
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder: Malady Or Myth? By Chris R. Brewin

@Gufi @Nihonjin1051 - both of you are in med-related areas of study, this thread may interest both of you.

I worry about the poor souls in Peshawar, poor kids saw their school mates die infront of them; They would be suffering from PTSD:(

You they most likely would be:(. But, there is support for PTSD too that can lessen the long-term risks of developing more severe malformations and social ills if it can be offered. This is still an area in it's infancy, we in the US have barely begun to awaken to PTSD as our soldiers return home from war overseas, but progress is being made and the contributes will benefit those suffering in Pakistan too, no matter their age.

This first link is a great study on how to respond to children with PTSD and other stress-related disorders and concerns:

Responding to Students with PTSD in Schools

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD): Symptoms, Treatment and Self-Help for PTSD

Posttraumatic Stress Disorder

PTSD in Children and Teens - PTSD: National Center for PTSD

The question most pressing to me is whether or not the Children can get the care they need, the care exists, but do they have access to it? Unfortunately I can't answer this question, so I'll have to defer to our Pakistani members here on PDF.

Diagnostic and statistical manual for PTSD
Assessment
Since the introduction of DSM-IV, the number of possible events that might be used to diagnose PTSD has increased; one study suggests that the increase is around 50%.Various scales to measure the severity and frequency of PTSD symptoms exist.Standardized screening tools such as Trauma Screening Questionnaire and PTSD Symptom Scale can be used to detect possible symptoms of posttraumatic stress disorder and suggest the need for a formal diagnostic assessment.

§DSM-5
In DSM-5, published in May, 2013, PTSD is classified as a trauma- and stress-related disorder.[1]

• Criterion A: (applicable to adults, adolescents and children over 6. There is a separate Posttraumatic stress disorder for children 6 years and younger.) Exposure to real or threatened death, injury, or sexual violence.
  • Several items in Criterion B (intrusion symptoms) are rewritten to add or augment certain distinctions now considered important.
  • Special consideration is given to developmentally appropriate criteria for use with children and adolescents. This is especially evident in the restated Criterion B—intrusion symptoms. Development of age-specific criteria for diagnosis of PTSD is ongoing at this time.
  • Criterion C (avoidance and numbing) has been split into "C" and "D":
    • Criterion C (new version) now focuses solely on avoidance of behaviors or physical or temporal reminders of the traumatic experience(s). What were formerly two symptoms are now three, due to slight changes in descriptions.
    • New Criterion D focuses on negative alterations in cognition and mood associated with the traumatic event(s) and contains two new symptoms, one expanded symptom, and four largely unchanged symptoms specified in the previous criteria.
  • Criterion E (formerly "D"), which focuses on increased arousal and reactivity, contains one modestly revised, one entirely new, and four unchanged symptoms.
  • Criterion F (formerly "E") still requires duration of symptoms to have been at least one month.
  • Criterion G (formerly "F") stipulates symptom impact ("disturbance") in the same way as before.
  • Criterion H stipulated the disturbance is not due to the effects of a substance or another medical condition.
Specify whether:
With dissociative symptoms: (not due to effects of a substance or another medical condition)
  1. In addition, meets the criteria of Depersonalization
  2. In addition, meets the criteria of Derealization
Specify if:
With delayed expression Full criteria not met until more than 6 months after the event
§International classification of diseases
The diagnostic criteria for PTSD, stipulated in the International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems 10 (ICD-10), may be summarized as:

• Exposure to a stressful event or situation (either short or long lasting) of exceptionally threatening or catastrophic nature, which is likely to cause pervasive distress in almost anyone.
  • Persistent remembering or "reliving" the stressor by intrusive flash backs, vivid memories, recurring dreams, or by experiencing distress when exposed to circumstances resembling or associated with the stressor.
  • Actual or preferred avoidance of circumstances resembling or associated with the stressor (not present before exposure to the stressor).
  • Either (1) or (2):
  1. Inability to recall, either partially or completely, some important aspects of the period of exposure to the stressor
  2. Persistent symptoms of increased psychological sensitivity and arousal (not present before exposure to the stressor) shown by any two of the following:
  • difficulty in falling or staying asleep
  • irritability or outbursts of anger
  • difficulty in concentrating
  • hyper-vigilance
  • exaggerated startle response.
The International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems 10 diagnostic guidelines state: In general, this disorder should not be diagnosed unless there is evidence that it arose within 6 months of a traumatic event of exceptional severity. A "probable" diagnosis might still be possible if the delay between the event and the onset was longer than 6 months, provided that the clinical manifestations are typical and no alternative identification of the disorder (e.g., as an anxiety or obsessive-compulsive disorder or depressive episode) is plausible. In addition to evidence of trauma, there must be a repetitive, intrusive recollection or re-enactment of the event in memories, daytime imagery, or dreams. Conspicuous emotional detachment, numbing of feeling, and avoidance of stimuli that might arouse recollection of the trauma are often present but are not essential for the diagnosis. The autonomic disturbances, mood disorder, and behavioural abnormalities all contribute to the diagnosis but are not of prime importance. The late chronic sequelae of devastating stress, i.e. those manifest decades after the stressful experience, should be classified under F62.0.

UCLA study identifies genes linked to post-traumatic stress disorder
UCLA study identifies genes linked to post-traumatic stress disorder | UCLA

Why do some people experience post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) while others who suffered the same ordeal do not? A new UCLA study may shed light on the answer.

UCLA scientists have linked two genes involved in serotonin production to a higher risk of developing PTSD. Published in the April 3 online edition of the Journal of Affective Disorders, the findings suggest that susceptibility to PTSD is inherited, pointing to new ways of screening for and treating the disorder.

"People can develop post-traumatic stress disorder after surviving a life-threatening ordeal like war, rape or a natural disaster," said lead author Dr. Armen Goenjian, a research professor of psychiatry at the Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior at UCLA. "If confirmed, our findings could eventually lead to new ways to screen people at risk for PTSD and target specific medicines for preventing and treating the disorder."
PTSD can arise following child abuse, terrorist attacks, sexual or physical assault, major accidents, natural disasters or exposure to war or combat. Symptoms include flashbacks, feeling emotionally numb or hyper-alert to danger, and avoiding situations that remind one of the original trauma.
Goenjian and his colleagues extracted the DNA of 200 adults from several generations of 12 extended families who suffered PTSD symptoms after surviving the devastating 1988 earthquake in Armenia.

In studying the families' genes, the researchers found that persons who possessed specific variants of two genes were more likely to develop PTSD symptoms. Called TPH1 and TPH2, these genes control the production of serotonin, a brain chemical that regulates mood, sleep and alertness — all of which are disrupted in PTSD.

"We suspect that the gene variants produce less serotonin, predisposing these family members to PTSD after exposure to violence or disaster," Goenjian said. "Our next step will be to try and replicate the findings in a larger, more heterogeneous population."

PTSD affects about 7 percent of Americans and has become a pressing health issue for a large percentage of war veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan. The UCLA team's discovery could be used to help screen people who may be at risk for developing PTSD.

"A diagnostic tool based upon TPH1 and TPH2 could enable military leaders to identify soldiers who are at higher risk of developing PTSD and reassign their combat duties accordingly," Goenjian said. "Our findings may also help scientists uncover alternative treatments for the disorder, such as gene therapy or new drugs that regulate the chemicals responsible for PTSD symptoms."

According to Goenjian, pinpointing genes connected with PTSD symptoms will help neuroscientists classify the disorder based on brain biology instead of clinical observation. Psychiatrists currently rely on a trial-and-error approach to identify the best medication for controlling an individual patient's symptoms.

Serotonin is the target of the popular antidepressants known as SSRIs, or selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors, which prolong the effect of serotonin in the brain by slowing its absorption by brain cells. More physicians are prescribing SSRIs to treat psychiatric disease beyond depression, including PTSD and obsessive–compulsive disorder.

Goenjian's co-authors included Julia Bailey, Alan Steinberg, Uma Dandekar and Dr. Ernest Noble, all of UCLA, and David Walling and Devon Schmidt of the Collaborative Neuroscience Network. No external grants supported the study.
The Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior is an interdisciplinary research and education institute devoted to the understanding of complex human behavior, including the genetic, biological, behavioral and sociocultural underpinnings of normal behavior, and the causes and consequences of neuropsychiatric disorders. In addition to conducting fundamental research, the institute's faculty seeks to develop effective strategies for the prevention and treatment of neurological, psychiatric and behavioral disorder, including improvement in access to mental health services and the shaping of national health policy.

“youth exposed to higher levels of trauma may experience different brain responses to similar stressors,” Potenza tells Reuters. These findings suggest the possibility that there might exist different sensitivities to the relative allocation of brain resources to stressful stimuli in the environment and may hold multiple implications for prevention and treatment efforts.
It is stressful situations and how they act not rape etc but triggers are more to do with how they can not deal with problems and have issues of dependency and inability to cope.
This unfolds across a lifetime, to the point where those who’ve experienced high levels of trauma are at triple the risk for heart disease and lung cancer.
holistic approach to mediciine where the body and the mind make up health.
Diagnostic and statistical manual for PTSD
are you related to the medical field?? just a query

@SvenSvensonov @Akheilos thank you for telling me about this thread

It is stressful situations and how they act not rape etc but triggers are more to do with how they can not deal with problems and have issues of dependency and inability to cope.

holistic approach to mediciine where the body and the mind make up health.

are you related to the medical field?? just a query

yes brother i am a doc....

Back
Top Bottom