What's new

Chicago Tribune:Chinese doctor drags M. Phelps into doping speculation

kawaraj

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
By Lisa Dillman
8:32 a.m. CDT, July 31, 2012

LONDON -- First, there was this screaming headline in Britain's Daily Mail: "US Attacks China Over Drugs Row Supergirl Swimmer."

But the next move in the swim pool tat-for-tat war of words between the United States and China was truly bizarre and strangely out of focus, as a former Olympic doctor from China promptly decided to throw Michael Phelps and his 14 gold medals under the bus.

If the doctor, Chen Zhanghao, was trying to steer the conversation away from newly minted gold medalist Ye Shiwen and defend the teenager, it came off as clumsy and ill-advised in comments reported by the Sydney Morning Herald. Chen was in charge of the Chinese team's medical staff through four Olympic Games, starting in Los Angeles in 1984.

PHOTOS: U.S. athletes most likely to medal

"Abnormal?" Chen was quoted as saying to the newspaper, "America's Phelps broke seven world records! Is he normal?

"I suspect Phelps, but without evidence, I have to recognize that we should be grounded in facts. The Americans have made many extraordinary performances, but without evidence we have kept silent."

Evidence.
Oh that. Yes, that appears to be an important thing, doesn't it?

The best line of the story by the newspaper's highly regarded correspondent in China was in regard to Chen's current credibility, noting that he "is arguably tainted by his own role in sports doping in the '80s and '90s, as revealed in an exclusive interview with Fairfax."

Here is the rest of Tuesday's report from the Morning Herald.

London Olympics: Chinese doctor drags Michael Phelps into doping speculation - chicagotribune.com

clearly this is fightback for US coach John Leonard who's inappropriate remarks on 16 years-old Ye.

Very cheap thing by china when they can't match them they are doing everything demonic possible.

Actually a Chinese swimmer is under a doping cloud !

China's 'incredible' Ye Shiwen denies doping allegations

• China's 'incredible' Ye Shiwen denies doping allegations: "Chinese swimmer Ye Shiwen has strongly denied that she's a drugs cheat following a series of record-breaking swims at the Olympics in the past few days. 'My achievements derive from diligence and hard work, I will never use drugs. Chinese athletes are clean,' Ye told reporters late Monday."

Need to Know News: China's 'incredible' Ye denies doping allegations; India hit by second, even larger power outage – Piers Morgan - CNN.com Blogs

yes so Chinese media retaliates for suspicion on Micheal Phelps.

Phelps' doping allegation has been for quite a while since 2008.

Actually a Chinese swimmer is under a doping cloud !

China's 'incredible' Ye Shiwen denies doping allegations

• China's 'incredible' Ye Shiwen denies doping allegations: "Chinese swimmer Ye Shiwen has strongly denied that she's a drugs cheat following a series of record-breaking swims at the Olympics in the past few days. 'My achievements derive from diligence and hard work, I will never use drugs. Chinese athletes are clean,' Ye told reporters late Monday."

Need to Know News: China's 'incredible' Ye denies doping allegations; India hit by second, even larger power outage – Piers Morgan - CNN.com Blogs

Stay out of this. It's none of your business.

Stay out of this. It's none of your business.

The cry baby of PDF is here !

yes so Chinese media retaliates for suspicion on Micheal Phelps.

Phelps' doping allegation has been for quite a while since 2008.

Phelps confessed to being Marijuana abuser. Marijuana is not a doping substance

Lord Colin Moynihan said Ye, 16, had passed drug tests, was "clean" and deserved recognition for her talent.

BBC News - China swimmer Ye Shiwen clean, says BOA boss Moynihan

IOC hints that China's Ye is clean - Yahoo! News

British Olympic official clears Miss Ye and IOC hints, which is their usual policy, her innocent. Any other talks or insinuations about her drug involvements are simply slandering an innocent 16 years old child. Low lives IMO.

Good for her and her coach

The cry baby of PDF is here !

Phelps confessed to being Marijuana abuser. Marijuana is not a doping substance

I said his doping allegation, not Marijuana. but even Marijuana is also an integrity issue.

Indocarib, why do you defense Phelps but take on Ye? can you elaborate why? you trust the west more, or you hate China?

let me give you a hypothetical scenario, if an Indian swimmer suddenly win a gold medal in olympic pool, I am 100 pct they(the west) are going to suspect this Indian swimmer for such an achievement. think about it.

I said his doping allegation, not Marijuana. but even Marijuana is also an integrity issue.

Indocarib, why do you defense Phelps but take on Ye? can you elaborate why? you trust the west more, or you hate China?

let me give you a hypothetical scenario, if an Indian swimmer suddenly win a gold medal in olympic pool, I am 100 pct they are going to suspect this Indian swimmer for such an achievement. think about it.

I am not defending Phelps or running down Ye. It was wrong on the part of both US and China to accuse each other. And I dont hate china, i dislike some chinese on this forum !

I am not defending Phelps or running down Ye. It was wrong on the part of both US and China to accuse each other. And I dont hate china, i dislike some chinese on this forum !

The american was the first to accuse our swimmer get this into your dumb head, now we returned the favour is it our fault?

Good for her and her coach

And shame on you indian, for trying hard to put other people down just to hide your own incompetence. And ridiculously asking (i.e. begging, threatening and crying for) others to give respect for your crook behaviour!

LOLOL at indian's crooked logic and behaviour.

let me give you a hypothetical scenario, if an Indian swimmer suddenly win a gold medal in olympic pool, I am 100 pct they are going to suspect this Indian swimmer for such an achievement. think about it.

Indocarib is a china hater.

Back
Top Bottom