What's new

British shoppers find 'call for help' messages from sweatshop workers in clothing

Koovie

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
British shoppers find 'call for help' messages from sweatshop workers in clothing
Shoppers of retailer Primark were shocked when they allegedly found notes — and in one case, and ID — from workers claiming to be prisoners at a sweatshop, working as many as 15 hours a day making clothes, and eating worse than ‘pigs and dogs.’ Primark said it is investigating the matter.
BY LEE MORAN

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Thursday, June 26, 2014, 9:51 AM
primark27n-2-web.jpg

A woman bought a garment at a Primark store in Belfast, Ireland and found a note reading ‘SOS!’ inside one of the pockets.

British shoppers have been left shocked after discovering "call for help" labels from workers stitched inside dresses bought at a popular high street store.

Two women allege to have found the hand-made notes sewn into bargain $17 tops bought from the same Primark outlet in Swansea, Wales.

Another customer in Belfast, Northern Ireland, also claims to have discovered a note from a Chinese prisoner claiming inmates were working 15 hours per day making garments.

The messages are believed to have been attached by workers at the fashion chain's overseas factories.

All refer to "sweatshop conditions" and being forced to work "exhausting hours."

"I was really shocked when I saw the label saying it was degrading sweatshop conditions," said Porthcawl mom-to-be Rebecca Jones, 21, to Wales Online.

"I used to shop a lot at Primark but not so much now. The label has made me think about how my clothes are made," she added.

Rebecca Gallagher, 25, who also found a label sewn into a top bought in the Welsh store, has vowed never to wear it again.

"To be honest I've never really thought much about how the clothes are made. But this really made me think about how we get our cheap fashion," she told Wales Online.

primark27n-4-web.jpg

Rebecca Jones found a second label sewn into a Primark product referring to poor working conditions.

"I dread to think that my summer top may be made by some exhausted person toiling away for hours in some sweatshop abroad," she added.

Meanwhile, in Belfast, Karen Wisinska, 28, was stunned to find an SOS letter from a Chinese prisoner — alongside his jail ID card — inside the pocket of her jeans bought from the store.

The note claimed he was working his fingers to the bone and being fed worse than pigs and dogs, reported the BBC.

However, as she did not wear the pants or discover the message until three years after buying them, she believed it may now be too late to help the old man in the picture.

"I was shocked to find this note and card inside the trousers from Primark and even more shocked to discover that it appears to have been made under slave labor conditions in a Chinese prison," the County Fermanagh native told the BBC.

Primark has promised to investigate all three incidents.

"We are investigating the origins of an additional label which has been found in one of our dresses and whether there are issues which need to be looked into," a spokesman said.
British shoppers find 'call for help' messages from sweatshop workers in clothing - NY Daily News

There were rumours about many clothes companies with overseas factories...But this is just 1 step up to take those as reality!!

This is kind of funny. I will humour thy and will assume this is real messages from the workers. These sweat shop workers are not forced by anyone to work there. They can find other jobs or quit any time.

Looks like the workers are not working hard enough as they have time to write letters with decent handwriting under "duress" and "degrading" conditions.

This aint funny, @Jlaw, this is a very seriously successful way of addressing excess western corporate greed!

I recommend all asians, africans and middle-easterners to advertise this strategy to all sweatshops everywhere!

This aint funny, @Jlaw, this is a very seriously successful way of addressing excess western corporate greed!

I recommend all asians, africans and middle-easterners to advertise this strategy to all sweatshops everywhere!

It's corporate greed but also consumer greed. Who doesn't want to be a Ralph Lauren or A&F shirt for $20? I would not want to pay $100 for the same shirt if it's made in western countries.

It's corporate greed but also consumer greed. Who doesn't want to be a Ralph Lauren or A&F shirt for $20? I would not want to pay $100 for the same shirt if it's made in western countries.

you probably don't know how much the average citizen over here in the western customer countries of sweatshops are being squeezed themselves. yes, we eat well still, but it's not like we have a lot of spare cash. however, we do like to spend on biological meat and fair trade products. it's time for a fair trade label for clothing, or the existing fair trade labels for clothing to be advertised more over here. i know, it's kinda my responsibility to investigate this matter a bit more and see what i can do over here to support sweatshop working conditions improvements. putting it on my idealogical todo list..

and yes, this goes for the ((smart)phone) hitech sweatshops as well. putting that one on my todo list as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
interesting, except for SOS everything else is in some foreign language!

Shoppers of retailer Primark were shocked when they allegedly found notes — and in one case, and ID — from workers claiming to be prisoners at a sweatshop, working as many as 15 hours a day making clothes, and eating worse than ‘pigs and dogs.’ Primark said it is investigating the matter.
BY LEE MORAN

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Thursday, June 26, 2014, 9:51 AM
primark27n-2-web.jpg

A woman bought a garment at a Primark store in Belfast, Ireland and found a note reading ‘SOS!’ inside one of the pockets.

British shoppers have been left shocked after discovering "call for help" labels from workers stitched inside dresses bought at a popular high street store.

Two women allege to have found the hand-made notes sewn into bargain $17 tops bought from the same Primark outlet in Swansea, Wales.

Another customer in Belfast, Northern Ireland, also claims to have discovered a note from a Chinese prisoner claiming inmates were working 15 hours per day making garments.

The messages are believed to have been attached by workers at the fashion chain's overseas factories.

All refer to "sweatshop conditions" and being forced to work "exhausting hours."

"I was really shocked when I saw the label saying it was degrading sweatshop conditions," said Porthcawl mom-to-be Rebecca Jones, 21, to Wales Online.

"I used to shop a lot at Primark but not so much now. The label has made me think about how my clothes are made," she added.

Rebecca Gallagher, 25, who also found a label sewn into a top bought in the Welsh store, has vowed never to wear it again.

"To be honest I've never really thought much about how the clothes are made. But this really made me think about how we get our cheap fashion," she told Wales Online.

primark27n-4-web.jpg

Rebecca Jones found a second label sewn into a Primark product referring to poor working conditions.

"I dread to think that my summer top may be made by some exhausted person toiling away for hours in some sweatshop abroad," she added.

Meanwhile, in Belfast, Karen Wisinska, 28, was stunned to find an SOS letter from a Chinese prisoner — alongside his jail ID card — inside the pocket of her jeans bought from the store.

The note claimed he was working his fingers to the bone and being fed worse than pigs and dogs, reported the BBC.

However, as she did not wear the pants or discover the message until three years after buying them, she believed it may now be too late to help the old man in the picture.

"I was shocked to find this note and card inside the trousers from Primark and even more shocked to discover that it appears to have been made under slave labor conditions in a Chinese prison," the County Fermanagh native told the BBC.

Primark has promised to investigate all three incidents.

"We are investigating the origins of an additional label which has been found in one of our dresses and whether there are issues which need to be looked into," a spokesman said.
British shoppers find 'call for help' messages from sweatshop workers in clothing - NY Daily News

It's most likely a lame stunt by British manufacturers to get back some business by giving bad publicity to foreign competitors.

There was a really pathetic stunt by an Australian woman in the US. She just "happened" to find a note by a worker in China. The funny thing is that she -- out of millions of potential customer -- just happened to be working for a social welfare organization in the US dealing with labor conditions in foreign countries.

The Western media, of course, made sure that she got the maximum publicity for her "find".

It's most likely a lame stunt by British manufacturers to get back some business by giving bad publicity to foreign competitors.

There was a really pathetic stunt by an Australian woman in the US. She just "happened" to find a note by a worker in China. The funny thing is that she -- out of millions of potential customer -- just happened to be working for a social welfare organization in the US dealing with labor conditions in foreign countries.

The Western media, of course, made sure that she got the maximum publicity for her "find".

even for a welfare org like that, i consider that a valid tactic in today's "economic decline" greed-and-lies-infested climate...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom