What's new

British MP George Galloway response to an Israeli student

I don't know what others infer from this video, but for me it seems like Galloway behaved like a total looser. The students in the audience were laughing at him as he was leaving the room.

The decline of George Galloway
February 2013 18:41Shiraz Maher
142967160.jpg

George Galloway last night stormed out of a debate in Oxford. Picture: Getty

The decay and decline of George Galloway was on full display in Oxford last night when he stormed out of a debate with a third-year PPE student from Brasenose College. The student’s crime was to be an Israeli, a discovery which led Galloway to declare: ‘I don’t debate with Israelis. I have been misled.’ He then got up to leave. ‘I don’t recognise Israel and I don’t debate with Israelis,’ Galloway said as he exited the room.

This is, of course, the old curmudgeon’s stock-in-trade. Galloway has made a career trading in the worst forms of sectarian and dog whistle politics. The Independent’s Owen Jones was busy calling on the Left to learn from Galloway at the weekend, arguing:

Gorgeous George is one of the most charismatic politicians of our time, but also one of the most divisive, and still manages to win over the audience. You don’t have to like him; but, if you want to change the world, you do have to learn from him.

Jones is wildly misguided. Galloway’s success derives from his abrasive and doctrinaire posturing; not from any supposed ‘charisma.’ Indeed, to look at Galloway over the last twenty-four months is to see a once half-competent orator (one need only consider his appearance before the U.S. Senate in 2005) decay and succumb with dogged inelegance to the wispy grasp of seniority. Can anyone really point to a coherent or impressive Galloway performance over the last few years?

During this time Galloway’s political life has been coloured by an accelerated descent into intemperance. Hosting a TV show on Hezbollah’s al-Mayadeen (‘the square’”) channel last September, Galloway adopted a faux-Arab accent of the most peculiar fashion while barracking a young Syrian who called him out for supporting Assad’s brutal regime.

All this leads, of course, to a not unreasonable examination of Galloway’s vociferous support for terrorist groups operating across the Middle East. After storming out of yesterday’s meeting Galloway claimed he would not engage with any Israelis because Israel is an ‘apartheid state’. Set aside the palpable falsity of that charge and consider the moral inversion here. Apartheid upsets Galloway to such an extent that he can’t abide debating anyone associated with it – although no similar concerns extend to those who deliberately kill civilians.

During a rally held in London during the 2006 Hezbollah-Israel conflict, Galloway told his followers, ‘I am here to glorify the Lebanese resistance, Hezbollah. I am here to glorify the leader, Sheikh Hassan Nasrallah.’ Later, when he led the Viva Palestina convoys to Gaza he triumphantly declared ‘I, now, here, on behalf of myself, my sister Yvonne Ridley, and the two Respect councillors – Muhammad Ishtiaq and Naim Khan – are giving three cars and 25,000 pounds in cash to Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh. Here is the money. This is not charity. This is politics.’

When Galloway later pontificated on the meaning of rape in defence of Julian Assange he alienated even some of his most hardened supporters. Salma Yaqoob disowned him and left the Respect Party.

Galloway’s promiscuous embrace of tyrants, support for terrorist groups, and personal nastiness, perfectly captures all that is wrong with parts of the so-called ‘revolutionary Left’. It’s hard to know what lessons Owen Jones thinks the Left should draw from the political career or trajectory of George Galloway – besides it offering an abject example of righteous failure and hypocrisy.

Galloway’s promiscuous embrace of tyrants, support for terrorist groups, and personal nastiness,

Hmm, 'promiscuous tyrants, I didn't know that he embraced sisi the mussolini or the shiekhs of the ME! 'Terrorists', as far as we know the ISIS is trained and funded by the zionazis in Jordan. 'Personal nastiness', neither has he ever embraced crooks like bush, blair or netanyahu who are renowned for their vulgar nature.

Hmm, 'promiscuous tyrants, I didn't know that he embraced sisi the mussolini or the shiekhs of the ME! 'Terrorists', as far as we know the ISIS is trained and funded by the zionazis in Jordan. 'Personal nastiness', neither has he ever embraced crooks like bush, blair or netanyahu who are renowned for their vulgar nature.
You can create your own delusions to fit your worldview, but that doesn't make them reality.

You can create your own delusions to fit your worldview, but that doesn't make them reality.

Everybody knows that the zionazi beasts do not have the term 'humanity' anywhere in there beastly reality. These beasts talk of 'delusion' whenever the world talks of justice and peace.

Everybody knows that the zionazi beasts do not have the term 'humanity' anywhere in there beastly reality. These beasts talk of 'delusion' whenever the world talks of justice and peace.
Far less number of Palestinians have been killed or displaced by Israel in the last 60+ years than the number of Bengalis that were killed, raped or displaced in 10 months time in 1971 by the Pakistanis. Who is more beastly?

Why your Indian Asss burning over it. If you dont have balls to criticise Isreal and its war crimes then that dont mean others are also like you
Why is your *** burning if we choose to criticize him.
You dont have the balls to criticize the Arabs for killing 3 Israeli children and trying to kill Jews, it does not mean others are also like you.

Far less number of Palestinians have been killed or displaced by Israel in the last 60+ years than the number of Bengalis that were killed, raped or displaced in 10 months time in 1971 by the Pakistanis. Who is more beastly?

Don't drag the concocted history written by the notorious RAW in this thread, there is a section where you can sing the tale of the 'thirty million in just ten months' as much as you want but trust me any person with even a bird brain would know what is possible and what is not. But of course, expecting rational or humane discussion from a zionazi a$$licker is another absurd idea. If you hate the Palestinians so much have a field day on a zionazi forum.

Don't drag the concocted history written by the notorious RAW in this thread, there is a section where you can sing the tale of the 'thirty million in just ten months' as much as you want but trust me any person with even a bird brain would know what is possible and what is not. But of course, expecting rational or humane discussion from a zionazi a$$licker is another absurd idea. If you hate the Palestinians so much have a field day on a zionazi forum.
So, you too agree that pakistanis committed untold atrocities on the Bengalis...

Back
Top Bottom