Status
Not open for further replies.

American_Millenium

Reaction score
Country
United States
China Passes U.S. As World's Biggest Oil Importer
By JOE McDONALD 10/10/13 05:33 AM ET EDT

China has achieved another world-beating status its leaders don't want: Biggest oil importer.

China passed the United States in September as the world's biggest net oil importer, driven by faster economic growth and strong auto sales, according to U.S. government data released this week.

Chinese oil consumption outstripped production by 6.3 million barrels per day, which indicates the country had to import that much to fill the gap, the Energy Information Administration said this week.

"China's steady growth in oil demand has led it to become the world's largest net oil importer, exceeding the United States in September 2013,'" the agency said in a report. "EIA forecasts this trend to continue through 2014."

China's economic boom has raised incomes and increased its global influence. But it also has spurred demand for imported oil and gas, which communist leaders see as a strategic weakness.

Rising auto ownership has left China's cities choking on smog and added to pressure on Beijing from its own public to curb pollution and from other nations to rein in surging greenhouse gas emissions.

The United States, with a population about one-third the size of China's, still consumes far more oil per person than China does.

In September, Americans used 18.6 million barrels per day of oil and other liquid fossil fuels, while China used 10.9 million, according to the EIA's Short-Term Energy Outlook. U.S. production was 12.5 million barrels per day, while that of China was 4.6 million.

China's economy, the world's second-largest, is cooling but still is forecast to grow by nearly 8 percent this year, well above forecasts for the U.S.

The Chinese auto market, the biggest by number of vehicles sold, also is cooling but sales still rose by 11 percent in August.

Beijing is encouraging development of wind and solar power and use of autos powered by batteries or natural gas. But gasoline is expected to remain the country's main vehicle fuel in coming decades.

The government has launched initiatives to improve China's energy intensity, or the energy consumed for each unit of economic output. It has reported progress but still is far behind developed economies.

Until the late 1990s, China supplied its oil needs from domestic sources including the vast Daqing field in the northeast. But the economic boom outstripped its production capacity while output from existing sources is forecast to decline.

That has forced China to rely more heavily on imports, especially from Saudi Arabia and Iran. Communist leaders see that as a strategic weakness because of possible instability in the Gulf and Iran's political isolation.

EIA noted that China's domestic oil production was hampered over the past two months by summer flooding.

State-owned oil companies and their foreign partners are spending heavily to look for new oil sources in China and to develop alternatives such as methane from coal beds. But they have yet to find new deposits that match the size of Daqing.

Abroad, Chinese state-owned oil companies have invested billions of dollars to develop oil and gas sources in Iraq, Central Asia and Africa. Some of that is meant for export to China but much of it is sold in other markets.

At the same time, U.S. import demand has weakened as hydraulic fracturing and other technologies open up new domestic sources of supply.

American demand for oil and other liquid fuels rose by about 110,000 barrels per day, or just 0.6 percent, in the first nine months of this year, due partly to improved engine efficiency, the EIA said. It said consumption is forecast to fall by 0.4 percent next year.

Overall, the United States still should be the biggest oil consumer next year at about 18.7 million barrels per day, down from its peak of 20.8 million in 2005, according to the EIA. It said China's consumption next should be about 11 million barrels per day.

China Passes U.S. As World's Biggest Oil Importer

China has achieved another world-beating status its leaders don't want: Biggest oil importer.

We seriously need to find a way to shift towards renewable energy on a large scale.

Or find a way to make electricity-powered cars more efficient and viable.

We seriously need to find a way to shift towards renewable energy on a large scale.

Or find a way to make electricity-powered cars more efficient and viable.

Solar doubles it's proportion of energy production every 2 years; that may continue.

It shows how China is booming!!

In next 30 to 50 years, I see China taking-over Europe and even United States in almost 70% of areas...or may be even more.

Wish Islamic World could learn something from China and West

Solar doubles it's proportion of energy production every 2 years; that may continue.

Incremental improvements in efficiency are OK, but what we really need is a lateral "leap" in renewable energy technology.

Realistically though, we'll probably have to settle for the former.

In next 30 to 50 years, I see China taking-over Europe and even United States in almost 70% of areas...or may be even more.

The positive side of this news is that booming oil imports correlate with increasing GDP. And booming oil imports also correlate with increasing consumption. So it's not all bad. :D

Incremental improvements in efficiency are OK, but what we really need is a lateral "leap" in renewable energy technology.

Realistically though, we'll probably have to settle for the former.

The positive side of this news is that booming oil imports correlate with increasing GDP. And booming oil imports also correlate with increasing consumption. So it's not all bad. :D

In the long run, renewable is not going to cut it. Fusion is the way to go, however, we are at least a few decades away from a fully functional commercial fusion power station.

Also keep in mind, petroleum is not just used as fuel. They are also an important industrial raw material, especially in manufacturing of plastics.

I am not surprised that China exceeded US as petroleum importer. Chinese industry sector's nominal GDP surpassed US in 2010 and US is also increasing domestic production. On top of that, China also have cash to spend.

More important is the oil consumption of China and the US.

In the long run, renewable is not going to cut it. Fusion is the way to go, however, we are at least a few decades away from a fully functional commercial fusion power station.

Also keep in mind, petroleum is not just used as fuel. They are also an important industrial raw material, especially in manufacturing of plastics.

I am not surprised that China exceeded US as petroleum importer. Chinese industry sector's nominal GDP surpassed US in 2010 and US is also increasing domestic production. On top of that, China also have cash to spend.
To be honest, I'm not really optimistic about commercial fusion as energy source. With our demanding need for energy, we must develop our own shade gas. There will be a shade gas revolution like in the US in the next 10-20 years.

To be honest, I'm not really optimistic about commercial fusion as energy source. With our demanding need for energy, we must develop our own shade gas. There will be a shade gas revolution like in the US in the next 10-20 years.

Fusion power is not a question of yes or no. It is a question of when. Also, developing fusion is in no way in conflict with developing shale gas, like I said, petroleum is not just a fuel, we gonna need it even the power stations and cars no longer need it.

Fusion power is not a question of yes or no. It is a question of when. Also, developing fusion is in no way in conflict with developing shale gas, like I said, petroleum is not just a fuel, we gonna need it even the power stations and cars no longer need it.
We don't have the time for fusion energy. We need more economically energy NOW. Currently fusion is in an experimental phrase and won't be test in control stage at ITER until 2020s. The money spends on fusion research could be spent on extracting shale gas. If we can afford to do both, then it would be great but I'm still not optimistic about possibility of commercial fusion in my lifetime. But I hope you are correct. I want to see a fusion world, too. It is a humanity dream but it won't be a question of yes or no, but a question of do we have engineering capability to harness and control the sun? It's a tough task and I wish it is a success.

We don't have the time for fusion energy. We need more economically energy NOW. Currently fusion is in an experimental phrase and won't be test in control stage at ITER until 2020s. The money spends on fusion research could be spent on extracting shale gas. If we can afford to do both, then it would be great but I'm still not optimistic about possibility of commercial fusion in my lifetime. But I hope you are correct. I want to see a fusion world, too. It is a humanity dream but it won't be a question of yes or no, but a question of do we have engineering capability to harness and control the sun? It's a tough task and I wish it is a success.

Well, you are in luck then. China is currently swimming in cash, so it definitely have the funds to do research on fusion and shale gas and other energy sources at the same time. In fact, China is running at least two parallel group on fusion. It is also purchasing shale gas related technology (It is one of the main point of the Nexen purchase) as well as developing it domestically. As for other renewables, I was at the 2013 Vancouver IEEE PES (power engineering society) conference and there are lots of Chinese presenters on solar and wind energy, so the research is definitely not lacking there.

Shade gas. Priceless. :omghaha:

China is running at least two parallel group on fusion.

Could you back this up with something? I'm genuinly interested.

Hasn't America itself increased the domestic production of oil and gas and reducing the imports.

We are good in hibernation so move away we wanna sleep dude…… :alcoholic: :sleep:

Shade gas. Priceless. :omghaha:

Could you back this up with something? I'm genuinly interested.

One group is with the ITER, which runs tokamak setup. ITER is an international effort with China being responsible of creating parts of the TF and PF coils used in the core.

Another group is EAST, which runs a super conducting tokamak setup. The reason that EAST comes into existence is a bit complicated. Part of the reason is political. The ITER is an international project and thus subjected to international delays and friction, this is why Canada quit. Both US and China started parallel research group so they are not bogged down. The main difference between EAST and ITER is the advanced super conducting technology used in the process.

A third group is the ShengGuang group, which is different from EAST and ITER because it focused on Inertial Confined Fusion ICF, or laser based fusion. The group started off a lot earlier (around 1960) than both EAST and ITER, but its earlier effort was focused on lasers.

There are also other minor groups. For example, Tsinghua University has a ball shaped Tokamak setup.

For Chinese readers, a good summary can be seen here:

¡¾¿Æ¼¼¡¿¿ÆÆÕһϺ˾۱䣬²¢Ì½ÌÖÆäÇ°¾°_ÄÇÄêÄÇÍÃÄÇЩʶù°É_°Ù¶ÈÌù°É

And cut the guy some slack, not everyone speaks English as a first language.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom