What's new

Borei Class nuclear submarines for India?

Its a single hull or double hull, what is 1.5?
It falls between single hull and double hull. Borai is the only sub with such hull design apart from the rumors abt Arihant class boats. Benefits more stealth than double hull boat and more safety like double hull.

I guess we invented nuclear subs 1 lakh years ago & our government knows it. Why are we buying it from others? :what:
Who told you that our Govt. is going to buy this submarine!This thread is the brainchild of Spark,he started it just to have a discussion on the possibility of acquiring a nuclear sub from Russia.Please from next time onward try to read the opening post before making any silly comment!!

YES WE should buy at least 10 these submarines and 200 SLBMs and 15 Akulas and 50 PAK-DA and 300 PAK-FAs and 200 F-35 with DSI.
Kya bhaijaan Nishan_101 ka bhoot sawaar ho gaya kya aap ke upar bhi:lol:!!

borei_class.jpg

The Borei class is a forth-generation ballistic missile submarine

Entered service 2012
Crew 130 men
Diving depth (operational) 380 m
Diving depth (maximum) 400 - 450 m
Sea endurance 90 - 100 days
Dimensions and displacement
Length 160 m
Beam 13.5 m
Draught 10 m
Surfaced displacement 14 720 tons
Submerged displacement 24 000 tons
Propulsion and speed
Surfaced speed 15 knots
Submerged speed 26 - 29 knots
Propulsion nuclear reactor and pump jet propulsion
Armament
Missiles 16 x Bulava SLBMs
Torpedoes 6 x 533-mm torpedo tubes

The Project 955, or Borei class, is a forth-generation nuclear-powered missile submarine. The Borei class will replace ageing Russian Delta III, Delta IV and Typhoon classballistic missile submarines and will form a core of Russian naval deterrent.

First of the class, the Yury Dolgoruky was laid down in 1996. Production of the vessel suffered severe delays due to funding problems. It was launched only in 2007. It is the first Russian strategic missile submarine to be launched since the Soviet era. It is also considered a milestone in the development of the Russian navy.

Russian Navy plans to operate a total of eight Borei class ballistic missile submarines by 2020.

The Borei class submarine carries Bulava submarine-launched ballistic missile, which is a naval version of the SS-27 Topol-M. The Yury Dolgoruky will carry 16 of these missiles. It is worth mentioning that there development of Bulava SLBM was plagued by setbacks, as there were numerous failures during Bulava test launches. The Bulava (NATO Designation SS-N-30) ballistic missile has a range of 8 000 km. This submarine was expected do be commissioned in 2009, however as of early 2009 it was not fitted with missiles.

The forth submarine of the class is built to Project 955A standard. These boats will have numerous improvements and might have different hull shape. Improved boats will carry 20 ballistic missiles. Borei has about half the displacement of the Typhoon class, however will carry a similar number of missiles.

This forth-generation nuclear missile submarine is less detectable to sonar than it's predecessors. Other advancements include a pump jet propulsion. It is worth mentioning that the Borei class is the first Russian submarine with such propulsion system.

borei_class_s7.jpg
borei_class_s6.jpg
borei_class_s8.jpg
borei_class_s9.jpg
borei_class_s4.jpg
borei_class_s5.jpg
borei_class_s3.jpg
borei_class_s2.jpg

Attachments

• borei_class_s1.jpg
    borei_class_s1.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 21
What's the point of having a more capable SSBN, when you don't have more capable ballistic missiles? So even IF we could get them, they hardly would add any advantages to India. I was always more open for a lincence production deal for Yasen class SSN's, that really would be a game changer in terms of capability and much more suitable to sub launched Brahmos or Nirbhay missiles.

I said the same to @SpArK, and I grantee, Russia never transfer its newly built sub, like Yasen, and its pump-jet propulsion.

The Akula is transferred, because its a way behind according to western standards, and Arihant too. But still leap ahead against Chinese nuke sub.

Who told you that our Govt. is going to buy this submarine!This thread is the brainchild of Spark,he started it just to have a discussion on the possibility of acquiring a nuclear sub from Russia.Please from next time onward try to read the opening post before making any silly comment!!

Kya bhaijaan Nishan_101 ka bhoot sawaar ho gaya kya aap ke upar bhi:lol:!!

Hehehe.. Jaisa thread, waisa comment... :D

I said the same to @SpArK, and I grantee, Russia never transfer its newly built sub, like Yasen

My point was not that Russia will not transfer their new subs to us (Akula is a new one and considered to be a fairly advanced sub), but that the current generation of our sub-launched missiles is limited in range and that it doesn't matter if it's launched from Arihant or a Borei class then, the range to the targets would be the same. So even if they would be ready to give us the Borei class, it hardly would make us more capable.

I do think we could get a similar licence production deal of the Yasen class, as the Brazilans got with France for an SSN based on the Scorpene class. Production of sub hulls or parts of it in France, diverted for assembly in Brazil + assistance in the development of a Brazilian nuclear propulsion that will be integrated into the sub.
For us that could mean, production of sub hulls or parts of it in Russia (work for their shipyards), diverted for assembly in India + assistance in the development of a "bigger" nuclear propulsion (compared to the one of Arihant) that will be integrated into the sub. Win-win for Russia and India!

I WOULD BE HAPPY WITH 6 AKULAS ON 20 YEARS OF LEASE !

My point was not that Russia will not transfer their new subs to us (Akula is a new one and considered to be a fairly advanced sub), but that the current generation of our sub-launched missiles is limited in range and that it doesn't matter if it's launched from Arihant or a Borei class then, the range to the targets would be the same. So even if they would be ready to give us the Borei class, it hardly would make us more capable.

A laughable statement to even compare soviet era akula with yasen class.
U need to go and see whats different between the two to be passing judgement.

"
This class is the first Russian submarine to be equipped with a spherical sonar, designated as Irtysh-Amfora. The device (allegedly the Irtysh/Amfora sonar system) was tested on a modified Yankee class submarine.[40] The sonar system consists of a spherical bow array, flank arrays and a towed array. Due to the large size of this spherical array, the torpedo tubes are slanted.[14] The hull is constructed from low-magnetic steel.[41] The submarine has a crew of about 90, suggesting a high degree of automation in the submarine's different systems. The newest U.S. attack sub, the Virginia-class submarine, has a crew of 134 in comparison.

Yasen-class submarines will be the first Russian SSNs/SSGNs equipped with a fourth generation nuclear reactor.[42] The reactor will allegedly have a 25-30 year core life and will not have to be refueled.[43]

A VSK rescue pod is carried in the sail"

Those are 4 firsts for a russian sub right there

The 2nd nuke sub (possibly akula) leasing is almost assured. If yasen or Borei class is offered under P75i (a distant speculation) then Pakistani Navy would probably get 3 nuke submarine deal from china. For long there has been speculation that to counter india leased Akula N sub and to counter growing fear of indigenous Arihant and follow on N subs, PN had been requesting China for 3 N sub deal.. 1 to be purchased off the shelf and 2 being manufactured in PAk. The first time this tory was speculated was 2009 and then all stories went cold. So in case India do get either of 2nd N sub lease or may be offered advance tech or whenever Arihant Sea trial or K4 launch success, dont be surprised if PN also showcases either the deal or the N submarine so called work in progress...

Only question is how China supports everything on soft loans for pak def purchases? Seems a ripe case of possible rescheduling of payment dates or tenor as budget is limited and economic progress of Pak is much slower.. Then again def purchases are more geopolitical decisions so wont get surprised

I do think we could get a similar licence production deal of the Yasen class, as the Brazilans got with France for an SSN based on the Scorpene class. Production of sub hulls or parts of it in France, diverted for assembly in Brazil + assistance in the development of a Brazilian nuclear propulsion that will be integrated into the sub.
For us that could mean, production of sub hulls or parts of it in Russia (work for their shipyards), diverted for assembly in India + assistance in the development of a "bigger" nuclear propulsion (compared to the one of Arihant) that will be integrated into the sub. Win-win for Russia and India!

Yasen class nuclear submarine is a monstrous weapon.

That would really solve India's submarine problem (only 6-7 active conventional submarines).

@SpArK

Our concentration should be on increasing our fleet of attack submarine (both nuclear and conventional).
After that only should go for more Arihant Class or foreign ballistic subs.

Borei can't be sold, because it's a main carrier of Russian ICBM's and this is submarine will be secret to the last days of its service in the fleet. So nobody will "transfer technologies" or whatever. Not to mention "Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons" where carriers of nuclear weapons are forbidden to delivery to others countries.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom