What's new

Boeing, Navy Confirm Super Hornet Demonstration this Summer

Manticore

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Boeing and the U.S. Navy will demonstrate the recent enhancements to the Super Hornet “late this summer,” according to a Flight Global article.

Naval Air Systems Command Super Hornet program manager Capt. Frank Morley said the demonstration will feature the F/A-18E/F’s new “conformal fuel tanks and the weapons pod,” GE F414 engines and other enhancements.

Boeing F/A-18 and EA-18G program vice president Mike Gibbons said the Super Hornet upgrades will be conducted in Boeing facilities in St. Louis MO and moved to NASA at Patuxnet River, MD.

Gibbons said the enhanced F414 engines will have “more thrust” and increased speed from Mach 0.9 to Mach 1.4.

He added the enhancements could lead to $5 billion in savings.

Morley added the upgrades will also be added to future USN Super Hornet vehicles and EA-18G modernization efforts.

Boeing, Navy Confirm Super Hornet Demonstration this Summer; Frank Morley Comments

While it has been known for sometime that Boeing and the US Navy intend to fly a modified F/A-18F Super Hornet equipped with conformal fuel tanks (CFTs) and a weapons pod later this summer, some new details are emerging.

When the modified Rhino--as the Super Hornet is affectionately known--does fly in late August or early September over the Navy's Atlantic range with the new hardware, those CFTs and weapons pod will not be functional, says Mike Gibbons, Boeing's F/A-18 program manager. The idea is to test the aerodynamic qualities of those representative shapes, he says.

Mark Gammon, Boeing's Hornet advanced projects chief, also notes that the aircraft will have a mock-up of an internally-mounted infrared search and track system mounted along with a slew of radar cross-section enhancement measures.

Gammon, who has worked on the Hornet since the first days of the original F/A-18A classic model jets, says that the CFTs won't add any cruise drag at high subsonic speeds, but it will have a negative impact on drag at transonic speeds--but the company has done a lot of engineering work to try mitigate that. In fact, Gammon notes, at low airspeeds, sometimes overall drag with the CFTs is actually lower than a clean aircraft's.

Configured with the CFTs and weapons pod carrying four AMRAAMs, the jet performs roughly the same as a Super Hornet carrying four external AIM-120s.
Anyways, Boeing showed off this brand new real F/A-18F equipped with mockup CFTs, weapons pods and other hardware.

DSCN0273-v2-thumb-560x294-177402.jpg

F/A-18F CFT & Weapons Pod mockup in St Louis
http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2013/05/fa-18f-cft-weapons-pod-mockup.html

What ia that underneath the nose? IRST etc?

I think Indian Navy need this kind of Bird, I mean the EA-18G . Correct me if I am wrong, current and near future Indian Navy do not have a dedicated Electronic warfare bird in their inventory, they have AWACS or intent to have airborne AWACS in the future but currently almost all Surveillance and Monitor are done in land based monitor planes.

Adding planes like EA-18G would put a mobile Electronic warfare platform with your carrier anywhere you go, which is a good plus as there are currently no contention in the naval rivalry close to India, that translate to no answer from anyone of the region.

You don't need to get EA-18G, India should talk to Russia and develop a Mig-29 into something like EA-18G.

By the way, the word Growler is actually a slang for a female body parts (5 letters, start with P) and some X rated actions. I don't know why the Navy name the EA-18G Growler........

This bird has a huge chance to win the tender for our Naval MRCA.

Not happy with Fulcrum-K? why would you guys put yourself into hassle of another type m-29K with Naval LCAII is more than enough saves huge costs.

It seems many F-18 operators will adapt the newer Super Hornet and the technologies i hope RCAF cut down F-35 orders and include two additional squadrons of F-18E/F Super Hornets.

By the way, the word Growler is actually a slang for a female body parts (5 letters, start with P) and some X rated actions. I don't know why the Navy name the EA-18G Growler........

Maybe they took Growler from Growl something that growls and has an impact or upper hand...some men hide when a woman growls or shouts when angry.

Maybe they took Growler from Growl something that growls and has an impact or upper hand...some men hide when a woman growls or shouts when angry.

Growler should be coming from the word Prowler which is the name of EA-6B.

Have no idea how they choose either word........

Growler should be coming from the word Prowler which is the name of EA-6B.

Have no idea how they choose either word........

But US naming of equipment is always attractive. For a very long time F-16 were Fighting Falcons and one day users/pilots brought in Vipers both used both attractive.

lol but dude, both Fighting falcon and viper does not indicate anything sexual.

"Try sitting inside a Growler for a change" or "Eject from the Growler" if you know what I mean :lol:

These jokes would kills in the US Navy ......

They should check if the word have other meaning before officially or unofficially calling them that.....

The 'Growler' came from the noise jamming signals produced upon an electronic circuit.

The 'Growler' came from the noise jamming signals produced upon an electronic circuit.

Question: so is it the same claim on the EA-6B then, prowler is the noise the Jamming signal made??

Anyway, they should check if the word have another meaning, not like Growler is a regional dialect of a reproductive organ, it's a pretty common slang and now apparently US Navy made a big joke on the men and women flying the 18G.......lol

Question: so is it the same claim on the EA-6B then, prowler is the noise the Jamming signal made??
Yes. The -18 Growler is carried over from the older -6 platform.

Anyway, they should check if the word have another meaning, not like Growler is a regional dialect of a reproductive organ, it's a pretty common slang and now apparently US Navy made a big joke on the men and women flying the 18G.......lol
We have no control over that. We used 'Growler' because of the noise jamming signals produces. That is the official story and we are sticking to it.

Yes. The -18 Growler is carried over from the older -6 platform.

We have no control over that. We used 'Growler' because of the noise jamming signals produces. That is the official story and we are sticking to it.

lol, anyway, joking aside, Growler should be a very good plane to add to any Air Force inventory, it provide both in-mission jamming and stationary stand alone jamming to part of the immediately airspace, but yet there are no answer from most of the air force and only US and Australia are currently employing or ready to deploy Airborne EW planes. Having mobile AEW should have an edge over normal AWACS or EWACS system. Or I am incorrect about this??

Back
Top Bottom