What's new

BNP rejects offer, 60-hr shutdown begins today

Zabaniyah

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina expressed deep shock and concern on Saturday as BNP rejected her offer for dinner and dialogue, reports UNB.

The Prime Minister phoned Opposition Leader and BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia over cellphone on Saturday evening requesting her to withdraw their three-day hartal and meet her at Ganobhaban over dinner on Monday for talks over the election-time cabinet.

Briefing reporters after the 37-minute telephonic conversation between Sheikh Hasina and Khaleda Zia, PM's media adviser Iqbal Sobhan Chowdhury said the premier had expected that the opposition would come up with a positive response and call off the three-day shutdown in the interest of the country and the nation.

"The Prime Minister thinks that there's no need for any hartal programme now," the PM adviser added.

Meanwhile, the BNP-led 18-party alliance enforces a 60-hour countrywide hartal beginning at 6:00 am today (Sunday).

BNP chief Khaleda Zia gave the hartal call at a rally at Suhrawardy Udyan in the capital Friday. She said it was just an "initial programme" to compel the government to hold the next general election under a non-party government.

However, on the eve of the hartal, sporadic incidents of violence took place in the city.

BNP and its alliance partners brought out processions in different areas of the country including the capital.

Earlier the BNP has refused Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina's dinner invitation to Opposition chief Khaleda Zia for Monday evening.

At an urgent press briefing on Saturday evening, Khaleda's Press Secretary Maruf Kamal Khan said the 60-hour nationwide shutdown starting from Sunday cannot be called off.

He said the talks with the ruling party could take place after the strike ends on Tuesday.
http://www.thefinancialexpress-bd.com/index.php?ref=MjBfMTBfMjdfMTNfMV8xXzE4ODEzNw==

What happened before?
Hasina phones Khaleda,invites her to dialogue

Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina phoned Opposition Leader and BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia over her cellphone Saturday evening requesting her to withdraw their three-day hartal and meet her at Ganobhaban over dinner on Monday for talks over the election-time cabinet, reports UNB.

The much-awaited phone call was made around 6:20 pm after a daylong drama over the telephonic conversation.

The Prime Minister urged the Opposition leader to withdraw the hartal, and invited her to dinner at Ganobhaban on Monday.

The Prime Minister made the phone call over Khaleda Zia's cellphone as her red phone in her Gulshan residence is out of order.

About the inoperative red phone of the opposition leader in her Gulshan residence, the Prime Minister said she would enquire about the matter. "I couldn't reach you despite making repeated phone calls. I'll enquire about why the phone is out of order."

The Prime Minister went on: "I don't know whether the phone was dead or made dead. I'll enquire about it tomorrow."

Turning to her invitation to Khaleda to Ganobhaban, Hasina said. "I want you to have dinner with me on Monday and you can bring as many guests as you wish."

Hasina, however, requested Khaleda Zia to give her a list of how many members will attend the dinner.

Earlier, Sheikh Hasina tried to reach Khaleda Zia over 'red phone' but 'failed'.

After the first attempt by the PM to reach the opposition leader went in vein in the afternoon PM's Press Secretary Abul Kalam Azad said the opposition leader would call back the Prime Minister at 6pm.

However, BNP chairperson's press secretary Maruf Kamal Khan Sohel told UNB that the Prime Minister would call the opposition leader at 6pm as per the discussion between Prime Minister's Office and the opposition leader's special assistant.

He also claimed that the red phone of the opposition leader in which the Prime Minister reportedly tried to reach her has long been remained out of order.

PM's special assistant Mahbubul Hoque Shakil (Media) told UNB that the Prime Minister tried to reach Khaleda Zia over red phone from 1:15 pm to 1:45 pm.

The failure of the contact between the two leaders came at a time when the whole nation was eagerly waiting to get the 'good news' to know that the two arch rivals have had telephone talks over the persisting political crisis.
http://www.thefinancialexpress-bd.com/index.php?ref=MjBfMTBfMjdfMTNfMV8xXzE4ODEzNQ==

Hoax by cleaver Hasina. She is trying to break unity among 18 party alliance but Begum Zia didn't fall for it.

BNP finally showing some ball against Awami thugs. BNP must not fall for this deception and must not loose momentum unit Haaina restore CTG.

Have you considered what kind of hardship people will experience with 3 day hartaal. It is insane on BNP part to propose that.

Have you considered what kind of hardship people will experience with 3 day hartaal. It is insane on BNP part to propose that.

This is sadly necessary as the Awami League is clearly trying to steal the election so they can remain in power.

The Awami League has done so much damage to BD both economically and socially that they MUST be removed from power.

H
Have you considered, the disaster if AL forcefully try to remain in power for next 5 years?we have endured 174 of AL HORTAL in last BNP tenure. We will overcome this also.I am not for HORTAL at all.but desperate time requires desperate measures.

I support KZ's decision not to go for dialogue with Hasina. The constitutional amendment she and her party did is against the will of majority Bangladesh population and hence illegitimate. So as per previous constitutional clause before the illegal amendment, Hasina is no longer Prime Mininster and should step down from power immediately and dissolve her illegitimate cabinet, handing over power to a Care Taker Govt. Only after she has done this, KZ should sit down and talk with her. Till then the movement must continue to force Hasina to step down. Lets see what Bangladeshi people are made of.

And the constitution has to be amended by a national referendum to include a new clause to prevent such an easy way to change it. All amendments must go through a national referendum to prevent this kind of illegal amendments by just a simple vote in parliament among illegally elected MP's in a rigged election, like it happened in 2009.

Last edited:
I support KZ's decision not to go for dialogue with Hasina. The constitutional amendment she and her party did is against the will of majority Bangladesh population and hence illegitimate. So as of previous constitutional clause before the illegal amendment, Hasina is no longer Prime Mininster and should step down from power immediately and dissolve her illegitimate cabinet, handing over power to a Care Taker Govt. Only after she has done this, KZ should sit down and talk with her. Till then the movement must continue to force Hasina to step down. Lets see what Bangladeshi people are made of.

And the constitution has to be amended by a national referendum to include a new clause to prevent such an easy way to change it. All amendments must go through a national referendum to prevent this kind of illegal amendments by just a simple vote in parliament among illegally elected MP's in a rigged election, like it happened in 2009.

Meeting Hasina at Ganabhaban and having a talk there wouldn't mean that Khaleda is accepting Hasina's proposal of CTG but it would make her (Khaleda) smart to both home and abroad. There would be another implication of political progress that two main party chiefs sat together which would reduce the chance of foreign interference. Hasina this time made Bangladeshi people completely humiliating stuffs, it's actually a development of last 23 years ruling in Bangladesh. In my life I've never seen indian high commissioner so significant openly in Bangladesh matter. Our political leadership specially this time BAL made it possible. Last I remember during 2007/08 one indian high commissioner was sent back to home for uttering some words that attacked our sovereignty. Now we see that both US and indian ambassadors are taking part in our internal matter whereas india is a common country in outer world just like any country in the neighborhood. Surely all these don't knock in Khaleda's brain.

Last edited:
Meeting Hasina at Ganabhaban and having a talk there wouldn't mean that Khaleda is accepting Hasina's proposal of CTG but it would make her (Khaleda) smart to both home and abroad. There would be another implication of political progress that two main party chiefs sat together which would reduce the chance of foreign interference. Hasina this time made Bangladeshi people completely humiliating stuffs, it's actually a development of last 23 years ruling in Bangladesh. In my life I've never seen indian high commissioner so significant openly in Bangladesh matter. Our political leadership specially this time BAL made it possible. Last I remember during 2007/08 one indian high commissioner was sent back to home for uttering some words that attacked our sovereignty. Now we see that both US and indian ambassadors are taking part in our internal matter whereas india is a common country in outer world just like any country in the neighborhood. Surely all these don't knock in Khaleda's brain.

With due respect, I disagree. KZ does not need to sit down with Hasina, just so US and Indian Ambassadors can take credit for a dialogue between two leaders. The people of our country and its true representative leaders need not pay any attention to US Ambassador and Indian High Commissioner. Their actions, feelings and jumping up and down is their and their country's problems, it is none of our business. After all it is their job to secure their country's interest, it is not their job to be well wishers of Bangladesh and solve our internal problem to advance our national interest.

The election, if it is free and fair under a CTG, is going to be decided by Bangladeshi voters, not by US Ambassador and Indian High Commissioner. So KZ should only pay attention to the concern of Bangladeshi voters, not any International audience.

Both USA and India already interfered and that is why MUA/FUA took power and brought Hasina to where she is today. So I am not sure what you mean by "reduce the chance of foreign interference". As far as I can see, they have been interfering for the last 8 years and are worried that their influence will reduce in Bangladesh, and China may get upper hand, if KZ get elected and as a result AL faces wrath of the people and total annihilation.

USA is no neutral or innocent party here, lets not forget Pivot to Asia and USA-India-Japan-Australia alliance. You should read about how the US has centuries long habit of meddling in internal affairs of other countries, India is a relative new entrant in this business:
http://www.activistpost.com/2011/12/bombshell-us-caught-meddling-in-russian.html

We should put a new clause in our constitution that any foreign dignitary interfering with internal matters of the country should automatically become persona-non-grata.

With due respect, I disagree. KZ does not need to sit down with Hasina, just so US and Indian Ambassadors can take credit for a dialogue between two leaders. The people of our country and its true representative leaders need not pay any attention to US Ambassador and Indian High Commissioner. Their actions, feelings and jumping up and down is their and their country's problems, it is none of our business. After all it is their job to secure their country's interest, it is not their job to be well wishers of Bangladesh and solve our internal problem to advance our national interest.

The election, if it is free and fair under a CTG, is going to be decided by Bangladeshi voters, not by US Ambassador and Indian High Commissioner. So KZ should only pay attention to the concern of Bangladeshi voters, not any International audience.

Both USA and India already interfered and that is why MUA/FUA took power and brought Hasina to where she is today. So I am not sure what you mean by "reduce the chance of foreign interference". As far as I can see, they have been interfering for the last 8 years and are worried that their influence will reduce in Bangladesh, and China may get upper hand, if KZ get elected and as a result AL faces wrath of the people and total annihilation.

USA is no neutral or innocent party here, lets not forget Pivot to Asia and USA-India-Japan-Australia alliance. You should read about how the US has centuries long habit of meddling in internal affairs of other countries, India is a relative new entrant in this business:
http://www.activistpost.com/2011/12/bombshell-us-caught-meddling-in-russian.html

We should put a new clause in our constitution that any foreign dignitary interfering with internal matters of the country should automatically become persona-non-grata.

If Bangladeshi politicians seeing the upcoming disasters can sit together, the chances of foreign interference become zero. That's what I was trying to say. If Hasina/Khaleda could think to sit on same table at the beginning of crisis, international bodies wouldn't meddle in.

And of course political leaders of different polar have the necessity to sit together, so your comment "KZ does not need to sit down with Hasina" will always invoke crisis like this and let external hands meddle in.

Hasina did some good acting with the phone call thing. It was obvious that she was trying to hinder the momentum of OP hartal by playing this drama. Good that BKZ didn't fall for it. Room is still there for dialogue but after 29th once declared strike is over.

If Bangladeshi politicians seeing the upcoming disasters can sit together, the chances of foreign interference become zero. That's what I was trying to say. If Hasina/Khaleda could think to sit on same table at the beginning of crisis, international bodies wouldn't meddle in.

And of course political leaders of different polar have the necessity to sit together, so your comment "KZ does not need to sit down with Hasina" will always invoke crisis like this and let external hands meddle in.

BKZ did accept the offer for talks but after 29th where as Hasina was trying to kill time. And foreign powers are already meddling specially dadas and that has happened only because we have a dalal party called AL. Hasina always depended on foreign power to do politics in BD.

Last edited:

Well, neither appear to deviate from their demands. Having a fancy dinner was pretty much a waste of time. So where would be the actual "dialogue" in the first place?

I do admit though, I am getting sick of getting steamrolled by those two fat chicks and a bunch of foreign fat-a$$es.

Nonetheless, most Bangladeshis do want a free and fair election being held under a non-party caretaker government. And most importantly, national and personal security, something that is very lacking here.

Interesting, the Americans are making the exact same mistakes they made in 71'. Such a careless little people.

Well, neither appear to deviate from their demands. Having a fancy dinner was pretty much a waste of time. So where would be the actual "dialogue" in the first place?

I do admit though, I am getting sick of getting steamrolled by those two fat chicks and a bunch of foreign fat-a$$es.

Nonetheless, most Bangladeshis do want a free and fair election being held under a non-party caretaker government. And most importantly, national and personal security, something that is very lacking here.

Interesting, the Americans are making the exact same mistakes they made in 71'. Such a careless little people.

According to some non-white East Asian people I know, white people are dumb f*%ks, the proof is this, that they allowed China to rise, whereas they could easily not go for this unrestricted "free trade" and not give them market share, and I agree with that assessment somewhat, after going to school with them and living here for many years. Free trade was a honey trap for them, they fell for it and China won. We cannot generalize though, there are many brilliant and smart people here as well, which makes the world go round and made them the dominant race in the whole planet, but at the end of the day they have limitations and its showing in the result of their system, and that is why they are loosing ground.

And I repeat for everyone's clear understanding, KZ is doing good, no need to meet this b!tch Indian poodle. She must give up power for a CTG or the movement must continue, no compromise whatsoever. If the people are with KZ, she has nothing to fear from anyone.

I wish MIA BHAI,what you said comes true.remember 86?BKZ just need to sit tight,her ppl and many like us will root for her if only she smartly can out smart that HITLARINA.All this dinner and talk is borrowed baniass BUDDHI.The fatso is ordered to kill time with these drama BAZI.till her masters voice commands her next step from Delhi.ppl are pissed,and it will get ugly within 1st of Jan.Have you guys seen the blatant disregard about ppls vew on all the TV channels regarding this talk.AL propaganda at its highest.

I wish MIA BHAI,what you said comes true.remember 86?BKZ just need to sit tight,her ppl and many like us will root for her if only she smartly can out smart that HITLARINA.All this dinner and talk is borrowed baniass BUDDHI.The fatso is ordered to kill time with these drama BAZI.till her masters voice commands her next step from Delhi.ppl are pissed,and it will get ugly within 1st of Jan.Have you guys seen the blatant disregard about ppls vew on all the TV channels regarding this talk.AL propaganda at its highest.

I do not have access to Bangladeshi TV, only sometimes when I visit relatives. And I agree, Hasina has no brains to pull off the miracle she has shown so far. Since Mujib was killed, she became a RAW asset. Zia's mistake was allowing her in. Problem is our people are too naive and incompetent, and this includes entire Zia family. So I am not too confident that BKZ can pull it off, but I will be happy to see it happen, like most Bangladeshi's. Hasina and her Indian masters are treading on thin ice, that is why they are trying to use the US card, but the US will go with the winner, as they will not jeopardize their own interest for India. So lets see how things turn out. After 8 years, we finally have an opportunity to break free, lets keep our fingers crossed.

I do not have access to Bangladeshi TV, only sometimes when I visit relatives. And I agree, Hasina has no brains to pull off the miracle she has shown so far. Since Mujib was killed, she became a RAW asset. Zia's mistake was allowing her in. Problem is our people are too naive and incompetent, and this includes entire Zia family. So I am not too confident that BKZ can pull it off, but I will be happy to see it happen, like most Bangladeshi's. Hasina and her Indian masters are treading on thin ice, that is why they are trying to use the US card, but the US will go with the winner, as they will not jeopardize their own interest for India. So lets see how things turn out. After 8 years, we finally have an opportunity to break free, lets keep our fingers crossed.

This time US is clearly with BAL.....beforehand they used to check who's gonna win and then remained with them but now it's different equation.

Back
Top Bottom