What's new

Bangladesh Pushes back refugees from Myanmar

It is better for all concerned, particularly the Rohingya, if they speak the language and understand some of the basic history and culture of Myanmar. Or else they will never integrate.

What you say is right in the abstract but it ignores the historical context in Burma. The Rohingyas have faced centuries of discrimination. Do they have access to the same education and career options as other Burmese? It sounds like there is fairly complete segregation, not just of the Rohingyas, but also other ethnic minorities in Burma.

The challenge for Burma is to educate everybody -- all ethnic groups -- to respect others and to forge a national identity that includes all groups. Part of that would involve reversing the segregation and providing equal opportunities to all.

Eventually beyond a point India will have to step in and stop the bloodshed. But as it has happened elsewhere for other boat people, its going to be an impasse at best. Once the seed of hatred has taken root, the local majority is jst going to simmer till things eventually boil over at a later date. Bangladesh taking them in is not the answer. They will have to learn to live peacefuly and integrate seamlessly on their own land. Or they will be slaughtered.

How they will integrate when they are not allowed in any govt job and does not have right for a passport.

Yes, ideally that is the most opportune outcome. But I think there is far too much mutual animosity for that to be possible. One of the most salient points I have been making since I came on here is that the resolution MUST involve Bangladesh. I see no alternative.

Bangladesh would not take any refugees, even for a short term, i doubt that bangladesh is gonna allow any rohingyas to get any citizenship. And i see no alternative to this stand by bangladesh.

How they will integrate when they are not allowed in any govt job and does not have right for a passport.

I agree. It will not be easy. But what are the alternatives? Seperatist insurgency? Terrorism? Asylum elsewhere?

India does not have the required leverage in Myanmar to stop this.

If we ask politely, you will probably listen.

The Rohingyas can be displaced. India may not be as easy.

What you say is right in the abstract but it ignores the historical context in Burma. The Rohingyas have faced centuries of discrimination. Do they have access to the same education and career options as other Burmese? It sounds like there is fairly complete segregation, not just of the Rohingyas, but also other ethnic minorities in Burma.

The challenge for Burma is to educate everybody -- all ethnic groups -- to respect others and to forge a national identity that includes all groups. Part of that would involve reversing the segregation and providing equal opportunities to all.

Yes, I agree. The ethnic issue is one of the biggest challenges going forward. But the Rohingya are a special case as no one, not the government, not the Arakanese, not the people of Burma recognise them as being stakeholders in the Union of Myanmar. Reversing segregation and providing opportunities is almost impossible in such a fractious environment such as that in Arakan. Ignore the morality of the situation and whether we should be doing this and that. The best solution for the Rohingya is to be allowed to return to their ancestoral homeland of Bangladesh where they will not face the same persecutions as they, rightly or wrongly, will face in Myanmar.

Brother you dont understand the root cause of the problem. Even though this violence subside for the time being, the problem will not just go away. Burmese bengalis will always try to come to Bangladesh as they are not treated as citizen and are not permitted in any job. So its one way or other ethnic cleansing by encouraging them to leave the country by the govt of Burma.

This rule was made by the military generals, but i think with passing time the burmese society will be more accepting to rohingyas. Just like biharis in bangladesh

I agree. It will not be easy. But what are the alternatives? Seperatist insurgency? Terrorism?
If we ask politely, you will probably listen.

The Rohingyas can be displaced. India may not be as easy.

We had a similar problem with ethnic Kokang Chinese 2 years ago. The gov. didn't listen to the Chinese then so I don't think India is going to be able make the Burmese listen in this situation especially since India has no direct involvement with this.

Except that you actually ARE a Maratha, whereas he's only hinding behind being a full blooded Mughal because its not 'cool' being a Mohajir there.

lolololol, who told you this is most ret@rdo. I myself is Muhajir & i had none problem in Pakistan.

Also learn to follow the rules, we know that u are indian but plz control your trolling habit.

Yes, I agree. The ethnic issue is one of the biggest challenges going forward. But the Rohingya are a special case as no one, not the government, not the Arakanese, not the people of Burma recognise them as being stakeholders in the Union of Myanmar. Reversing segregation and providing opportunities is almost impossible in such a fractious environment such as that in Arakan. Ignore the morality of the situation and whether we should be doing this and that. The best solution for the Rohingya is to be allowed to return to their ancestoral homeland of Bangladesh where they will not face the same persecutions as they, rightly or wrongly, will face in Myanmar.

Ok I like your openness in this subject matter. Then, your government should come forward and talk straight to Bangladesh that BD needs to absorb Rohingya in its territory. Lets see you or your govt have that courage instead of pushing helpless people here and there.

The pressure need to be on the Burmese Govt. This is problem made in Burma, should be dealt with as such.

We had a similar problem with ethnic Kokang Chinese 2 years ago. The gov. didn't listen to the Chinese then so I don't think India is going to be able make the Burmese listen in this situation especially since India has no direct involvement with this.

Just a question. You guys are buddhists right? Since when did you get so aggro and violent man? No offence, but here in India we associate Buddhism as a religion of peace and non violence.

I do not get your point here. You deprived them of education, jobs, etc. Now you are not even going to try to give them their basic rights?

Ignore the morality of the situation and whether we should be doing this and that
If you ignore that you are technically ignoring the whole problem and how to stop it and prevent it from happening in the future

This rule was made by the military generals, but i think with passing time the burmese society will be more accepting to rohingyas. Just like biharis in bangladesh

No i dont think so.

Back
Top Bottom