What's new

Bangladesh owns lowest ATMs among six South Asian nations

Apart from some ~240k ATMs, we have ~500k "micro-ATMs" also.

Weird, I had assumed financial inclusion would be higher in BD than in India. 🤔
Female lfp is higher in BD, that means women prefer keeping cash at home?

Cash is still king in Bangladesh. And our culture still dictate we keep cash at home. Even for the growing e commerce market in BD, the vendors offer cash on delivery option.

What Bangladesh needs to do is jump from cash based transactions to online only transactions. Which is happening through BKash, Nogod and the lot.

Not sure what ATM count has to do with Bangladesh being richer or poorer. People will say just about anything to validate their nonsensical opinion. ATMs are fast becoming obsolete anyway.

Apart from some ~240k ATMs, we have ~500k "micro-ATMs" also.

Weird, I had assumed financial inclusion would be higher in BD than in India. 🤔
Female lfp is higher in BD, that means women prefer keeping cash at home?

There are plenty of bank branches and Fintech (to my knowledge) is rather pervasive. People exchange money mostly through apps. Only older folks not familiar with fintech use ATM's and counters at Banks.

With the rise of digital wallets like bKash and Nagad, more and more banks are introducing their banking apps.

Here is a list of 7 best mobile banking apps in Bangladesh.

1. Rocket
Rocket is a Dutch-Bangla Bank Mobile Banking Application. Anyone with an Android or iOS phone of any telecom operator can use this app.

Upon registration, the options that you get to see are- Top Up, Bill Pay, Merchant Pay, Send Money, Cash Out, Bank Transfer, Remittance, Bank Inquiry, Mini Statement.

Cash in and out is very easy as most of the small department stores can help through their service. Bill payment and buying products are also quite efficient through Bill Pay and Merchant Pay. Bank Transfer from a personal DBBL account to other accounts is possible. Cash In from DBBL ATM card and app is also possible. You can send money to any Rocket account holder instantly. To keep a tab on all the transactions, check Mini Statement option.

2. Citytouch
Citytouch.png

Citytouch is the digital banking wallet of The City Bank Limited. It offers simple banking solutions for its valued customers. According to the reviews, this is the best mobile banking app in Bangladesh. To get this easy banking solution one needs a Debit or Credit card of an active account of City Bank.

This app supports both Bangla and English. Upon registration, the options are mainly on the Transfers and Payments tab. The Transfers tab offers- City Bank Account, Other Bank Account, Cash by Code, Email Transfer, Transfer to bKash, Beneficiary Management, Favorite Transfer, Transfer History. The Payments tab offers- Mobile Recharge, City Credit Card, Value Added Services, Visa Instant Payment, Beneficiary Management, Favorite Payments, Payments History.

This app offers multiple benefits for its customers. Two-factor authentication and user security as well as personalization, customization and transaction security check by customers are offered for highly secured service. Deposits, loans, multiple card management, creating fixed deposits can be done through this app. Fund transfer, money transfer, bKash cash in, mobile recharge can be managed through the app. Various bill payment and purchasing products run smoothly here. Air tickets can be purchased easily. This app is also used for paying bills of any VISA, Master or Amex credit card that have been issued in Bangladesh and transferring money to 18 enlisted bank’s VISA cards. Nearest City Banks ATMs and branches can also be located with this app.

3. SC Mobile Bangladesh
SC-Mobile-App-1024x410.png

SC Mobile Bangladesh is Standard Chartered Bank’s internet banking app featuring easier banking solutions for their customers. This app is available on Android or iOS phones for Standard Chartered customers. Upon registration, the options are Accounts, Credit Cards, Personal Loans, Mortgages, Insurances, Investments.

Bio-metric log in service, paying bills and money transfer are among its features. Transaction history tracking is among its best usages. Banking alerts and promo offers are directly delivered to its app inbox. Sending money to bKash account is also possible from this app.

4. EBL Skybanking
EBL-SKY.png

Eastern Bank Limited is the bank that has introduced the app EBL Skybanking for mobile phone-based service for their clients. Android and iOS smartphone users can download this app on their phones if they have an account in Eastern Bank. According to the ratings, this one is the second-best rated mobile banking app. Registration can be done both ways- with cards or without cards. Upon registration, the features that are seen- Banking, QR Payment, Fund Transfer, Bill Pay, Priority, Benefits, ZIP Partners, Local EBL, Message Center, Contact EBL, Help, Augmented Reality, Products, Exit.

Transferring fund from credit card and EBL prepaid card to EBL, other bank or bKash account is done through this app. EBL credit card payment, top up from one EBL Prepaid card to other, utility bill payment, fingerprint login are its options. Instant mobile top-up and if help is required, appointments can be reserved through this app. Augmented reality helps in locating nearest ATM booths and branches.

5. MTB Smart Banking
MTB Smart Baking is the online banking service for Mutual Trust Bank customers. This app can be used with both Android and iOS smartphones. The tabs shown before logging in are- LOG IN, MTB PRIVILEGE, MTB CARD OFFERS, MTB LOCATIONS, CONTACT US, FAQ. The options displayed after login/registration are- ACCOUNTS, FUND TRANSFER, BILL PAY, CREDIT CARD, MOBILE RECHARGE, MPAY (QR PAYMENT), CHEQUE BOOK, CONTACT US. The transfer option has specified separate options- FUND TRANSFER(MTB), OTHER BANK TRANSFER(NPSB), OTHER BANK TRASNFER(BEFTN), BKASH TRANSFER.

This app is popular for its smooth operation. Among other features, requesting for cheque books through this app is very convenient. Detailed account statements can be accessed and fund transfer to other MTB bank accounts, facility of mobile top-ups, utility bill payments are some of its services. This app provides credit card services and bill payments as well as location finder for all MTB Branches and ATMs.

6. mCash
mCash is the online banking service of Islamic Bank Bangladesh Limited. Android smartphone users with an IBBL account can avail services from this app. It’s a pretty straight-forward app with basic transaction services. Upon registration, the tabs that are shown are- Send Money, Mobile Topup, Cash Out, MY mCash, Bank Transfer.

This app helps in sending money from one mCash account to the other. Mobile recharge can also be done. Money transfer from IBBL account to mCash and from mCash to IBBL account both are possible. Mini statements, activating ATM cash out and changing ATM pin are some of its other services. This app has a lot of potential to add better services for its customers in upcoming days.

7. Islamic Wallet
Islamic Wallet is the Shariah based Mobile Financial Services that has been introduced by Al-Arafah Islami Bank Limited. Customers money is promised to be safe with Islamic Wallet with most rigorous security, standard requirements under Shariah Board for regulations. Android smartphone users can download this app and enjoy its services. Upon registration, the features are- Balance (Send, Pay, Add, To Bank), Top-Up, Family Pay, Loyalty, Request Money, Vehicle Security, Food, Vehicle Solution, Movie Ticket, On Demand, Insurance, Health, Books.

This app provides a lot of innovative services other than the conventional services that are provided by other mobile banking apps. Cash in, Cash out, fund transfer from both account and cards, utility bill payment, top-up or mobile recharge, loan instalments, merchant payments, insurance premiums, pay roll are some of its services. Taxes, fees and government duties can be paid through this app. Payments from government like- subsidies, freedom fighter allowances, social welfare payments can be availed through this app.

Ticket service, vehicle security, food, health, movie tickets are some of its unique features. There are some added terms and conditions for following through Shariah Compliant Services.

Last edited:
dont worry next audit bd will show 1005 ATMs per 1000 adults . they learn how to play data
No doubt, our BAL group in the PDF will welcome your statement with garlands around your neck. These idiots love to talk of an imaginary future and false present.

Our only success is to stitch clothes. Others all you see in the newspapers are little feel-good stories.

Cash is still king in Bangladesh. And our culture still dictate we keep cash at home. Even for the growing e commerce market in BD, the vendors offer cash on delivery option.

What Bangladesh needs to do is jump from cash based transactions to online only transactions. Which is happening through BKash, Nogod and the lot.

Not sure what ATM count has to do with Bangladesh being richer or poorer. People will say just about anything to validate their nonsensical opinion. ATMs are fast becoming obsolete anyway.
People should talk later and know first,

- What or who is a Teller in a Bank, and
- What is an ATM, which is Automated Teller Machine? You can see it is a machine.

Why our people here are talking about BKash and many other money transferring machines? And why should they talk about shopping with cash or non-cash is related to ATM?

Using cash cards in a shop for purchasing goods is not the same as using an ATM in a Bank to withdraw, deposit, or transfering money to another account, although ATMs require cash cards, but of different kinds.

Please learn the definition of both the Bank Teller and ATM. People in developed countries do not need institutions like BKash because they go to an ATM to do money-related works.

Even ATMS have been installed in Convenience Stores, such as Family Mart, Seven-Eleven, Mini Marts, and all others. Only one unit of ATM at each place. These ATMS can handle money transactions of almost all the main banks as well as Post Office Banks.

A user need not do any purchases there. He just withdraws money in these Convenience Stores.

People should talk later and know first,

- What or who is a Teller in a Bank, and
- What is an ATM, which is Automated Teller Machine? You can see it is a machine.

Why our people here are talking about BKash and many other money transferring machines? And why should they talk about shopping with cash or non-cash is related to ATM?

Using cash cards in a shop for purchasing goods is not the same as using an ATM in a Bank to withdraw, deposit, or transfering money to another account, although ATMs require cash cards, but of different kinds.

Please learn the definition of both the Bank Teller and ATM. People in developed countries do not need institutions like BKash because they go to an ATM to do money-related works.

Even ATMS have been installed in Convenience Stores, such as Family Mart, Seven-Eleven, Mini Marts, and all others. Only one unit of ATM at each place. These ATMS can handle money transactions of almost all the main banks as well as Post Office Banks.

A user need not do any purchases there. He just withdraws money in these Convenience Stores.

Yeah I live in a third world country. Never ever seen an ATM in my life.

Learn to comprehend people's post first and then embark on your illogical rants.

Yeah I live in a third world country. Never ever seen an ATM in my life.

Learn to comprehend people's post first and then embark on your illogical rants.
What makes you angry I don't really comprehend. But, reading your earlier post there is reason to believe you never went out of Bangladesh. You have such a small knowledge about the ATM!!

Am I wrong? People should learn every day. There are millions of things a man has to learn. you do not know anything about the ATM and when I explained it you show anger. This is a typical BD little-mind symptom.

Re-read your earlier post and grow up!!! Or don't come to a discussion forum with your small exposure to the machine civilization.

What makes you angry I don't really comprehend. But, reading your earlier post there is reason to believe you never went out of Bangladesh. You have such a small knowledge about the ATM!!

Am I wrong? People should learn every day. There are millions of things a man has to learn. you do not know anything about the ATM and when I explained it you show anger. This is a typical BD little-mind symptom.

Re-read your earlier post and grow up!!! Or don't come to a discussion forum with your small exposure to the machine civilization.

This one's for you.

Attachments

• 41LLF-y0kNL._SX342_SY445_QL70_ML2_.jpg
    41LLF-y0kNL._SX342_SY445_QL70_ML2_.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 13
This one's for you.
It means you are unable to learn knowledge from others even if it is free of cost. In my case, I steal knowledge from others without their knowing. But you are not alone with your mean ego. Most Bangladeshis are egoistic without a trace of knowledge.

But I can understand from your earlier post that you have never been to a developed country. Why do you use a Canadian flag in your Logo? Aren't you ashamed?

If you really live in a western country, I ask you to show it in your posts. If not, please come with two BD flags. You don't know what ATM is and you claim you are a Canadian. Bye, bye.

It means you are unable to learn knowledge from others even if it is free of cost. In my case, I steal knowledge from others without their knowing. But you are not alone with your mean ego. Most Bangladeshis are egoistic without a trace of knowledge.

But I can understand from your earlier post that you have never been to a developed country. Why do you use a Canadian flag in your Logo? Aren't you ashamed?

If you really live in a western country, I ask you to show it in your posts. If not, please come with two BD flags. You don't know what ATM is and you claim you are a Canadian. Bye, bye.

If you have a problem with my location, feel free to report to the mods and let them check my IP address. I do not need to divulge my personal information to a nobody like you on a public forum.

It is clear to absolutely everyone who read my post, what I meant. But since you are a special case lacking intellectual capacity to comprehend and having the delusion of being "All knowing", let me break it down to you.

Refer to my first post - Cash is king in Bangladesh. People typically keep large amount of cash at home every month for day to day expense. And in general, Bangladeshi people use the bank tellers to withdraw cash lumpsum every month and not ATMs. Bangladeshi People never got comfortable with ATMs. Simply because people did not trust it and did not receive positive customer experience using ATMs. Hence it makes no economic sense for Bangladeshi Banks to invest in making ATMs available across Bangladesh. There are costs associated with maintaining and protecting the ATM booths. Which is also why they are only available in larger cities and significantly small numbers. And just because Bangladesh has a lower number of ATM, it does not mean Bangladesh is less poor than the other countries in South Asia.

Instead, Bangladesh is taking a leap to using digital platforms for cash transaction through Bkash and Nagad and the lots. Cutting down the need for people to withdraw cash altogether. This is very common globally where countries often forgo one or even more generation of tech and adopt the latest version.

While you contemplate on my first post, try getting sarcasm through your head too.

And since you are a kamla in construction, try sticking to construction topics only. Don't delve into economics, which is evidently beyond your comprehension.

Last edited:
If you have a problem with my location, feel free to report to the mods and let them check my IP address. I do not need to divulge my personal information to a nobody like you on a public forum.

It is clear to absolutely everyone who read my post, what I meant. But since you are a special case lacking intellectual capacity to comprehend and having the delusion of being "All knowing", let me break it down to you.

Refer to my first post - Cash is king in Bangladesh. People typically keep large amount of cash at home every month for day to day expense. And in general, Bangladeshi people use the bank tellers to withdraw cash lumpsum every month and not ATMs. Bangladeshi People never got comfortable with ATMs. Simply because people did not trust it and did not receive positive customer experience using ATMs. Hence it makes no economic sense for Bangladeshi Banks to invest in making ATMs available across Bangladesh. There are costs associated with maintaining and protecting the ATM booths. Which is also why they are only available in larger cities and significantly small numbers. And just because Bangladesh has a lower number of ATM, it does not mean Bangladesh is less poor than the other countries in South Asia.

Instead, Bangladesh is taking a leap to using digital platforms for cash transaction through Bkash and Nagad and the lots. Cutting down the need for people to withdraw cash altogether. This is very common globally where countries often forgo one or even more generation of tech and adopt the latest version.

While you contemplate on my first post, try getting sarcasm through your head too.

And since you are a kamla in construction, try sticking to construction topics only. Don't delve into economics, which is evidently beyond your comprehension.
I don't have to care if you live in a country like Canada. the issue is you are void of any practical knowledge. I don't know what you do for a living but you have not been exposed to modern facilities a Western country has produced.

You remain a village boy living somewhere but sleeping in your old BD village home without keen eyes to see around and without the impulse of learning. You are just a vegetable.

No wonder, with people like you BD will keep on remaining a 6th rated poor and knowledgeless society. Your type is good for Facebook discussions.

Please, do not play catch ball with me here. I am a busy man and I just don't give a dam what a fool like you think about me. Better learn about ATM.

There are plenty of bank branches and Fintech (to my knowledge) is rather pervasive. People exchange money mostly through apps. Only older folks not familiar with fintech use ATM's and counters at Banks.

With the rise of digital wallets like bKash and Nagad, more and more banks are introducing their banking apps.

Here is a list of 7 best mobile banking apps in Bangladesh.

1. Rocket
Rocket is a Dutch-Bangla Bank Mobile Banking Application. Anyone with an Android or iOS phone of any telecom operator can use this app.

Upon registration, the options that you get to see are- Top Up, Bill Pay, Merchant Pay, Send Money, Cash Out, Bank Transfer, Remittance, Bank Inquiry, Mini Statement.

Cash in and out is very easy as most of the small department stores can help through their service. Bill payment and buying products are also quite efficient through Bill Pay and Merchant Pay. Bank Transfer from a personal DBBL account to other accounts is possible. Cash In from DBBL ATM card and app is also possible. You can send money to any Rocket account holder instantly. To keep a tab on all the transactions, check Mini Statement option.

2. Citytouch
Citytouch.png

Citytouch is the digital banking wallet of The City Bank Limited. It offers simple banking solutions for its valued customers. According to the reviews, this is the best mobile banking app in Bangladesh. To get this easy banking solution one needs a Debit or Credit card of an active account of City Bank.

This app supports both Bangla and English. Upon registration, the options are mainly on the Transfers and Payments tab. The Transfers tab offers- City Bank Account, Other Bank Account, Cash by Code, Email Transfer, Transfer to bKash, Beneficiary Management, Favorite Transfer, Transfer History. The Payments tab offers- Mobile Recharge, City Credit Card, Value Added Services, Visa Instant Payment, Beneficiary Management, Favorite Payments, Payments History.

This app offers multiple benefits for its customers. Two-factor authentication and user security as well as personalization, customization and transaction security check by customers are offered for highly secured service. Deposits, loans, multiple card management, creating fixed deposits can be done through this app. Fund transfer, money transfer, bKash cash in, mobile recharge can be managed through the app. Various bill payment and purchasing products run smoothly here. Air tickets can be purchased easily. This app is also used for paying bills of any VISA, Master or Amex credit card that have been issued in Bangladesh and transferring money to 18 enlisted bank’s VISA cards. Nearest City Banks ATMs and branches can also be located with this app.

3. SC Mobile Bangladesh
SC-Mobile-App-1024x410.png

SC Mobile Bangladesh is Standard Chartered Bank’s internet banking app featuring easier banking solutions for their customers. This app is available on Android or iOS phones for Standard Chartered customers. Upon registration, the options are Accounts, Credit Cards, Personal Loans, Mortgages, Insurances, Investments.

Bio-metric log in service, paying bills and money transfer are among its features. Transaction history tracking is among its best usages. Banking alerts and promo offers are directly delivered to its app inbox. Sending money to bKash account is also possible from this app.

4. EBL Skybanking
EBL-SKY.png

Eastern Bank Limited is the bank that has introduced the app EBL Skybanking for mobile phone-based service for their clients. Android and iOS smartphone users can download this app on their phones if they have an account in Eastern Bank. According to the ratings, this one is the second-best rated mobile banking app. Registration can be done both ways- with cards or without cards. Upon registration, the features that are seen- Banking, QR Payment, Fund Transfer, Bill Pay, Priority, Benefits, ZIP Partners, Local EBL, Message Center, Contact EBL, Help, Augmented Reality, Products, Exit.

Transferring fund from credit card and EBL prepaid card to EBL, other bank or bKash account is done through this app. EBL credit card payment, top up from one EBL Prepaid card to other, utility bill payment, fingerprint login are its options. Instant mobile top-up and if help is required, appointments can be reserved through this app. Augmented reality helps in locating nearest ATM booths and branches.

5. MTB Smart Banking
MTB Smart Baking is the online banking service for Mutual Trust Bank customers. This app can be used with both Android and iOS smartphones. The tabs shown before logging in are- LOG IN, MTB PRIVILEGE, MTB CARD OFFERS, MTB LOCATIONS, CONTACT US, FAQ. The options displayed after login/registration are- ACCOUNTS, FUND TRANSFER, BILL PAY, CREDIT CARD, MOBILE RECHARGE, MPAY (QR PAYMENT), CHEQUE BOOK, CONTACT US. The transfer option has specified separate options- FUND TRANSFER(MTB), OTHER BANK TRANSFER(NPSB), OTHER BANK TRASNFER(BEFTN), BKASH TRANSFER.

This app is popular for its smooth operation. Among other features, requesting for cheque books through this app is very convenient. Detailed account statements can be accessed and fund transfer to other MTB bank accounts, facility of mobile top-ups, utility bill payments are some of its services. This app provides credit card services and bill payments as well as location finder for all MTB Branches and ATMs.

6. mCash
mCash is the online banking service of Islamic Bank Bangladesh Limited. Android smartphone users with an IBBL account can avail services from this app. It’s a pretty straight-forward app with basic transaction services. Upon registration, the tabs that are shown are- Send Money, Mobile Topup, Cash Out, MY mCash, Bank Transfer.

This app helps in sending money from one mCash account to the other. Mobile recharge can also be done. Money transfer from IBBL account to mCash and from mCash to IBBL account both are possible. Mini statements, activating ATM cash out and changing ATM pin are some of its other services. This app has a lot of potential to add better services for its customers in upcoming days.

7. Islamic Wallet
Islamic Wallet is the Shariah based Mobile Financial Services that has been introduced by Al-Arafah Islami Bank Limited. Customers money is promised to be safe with Islamic Wallet with most rigorous security, standard requirements under Shariah Board for regulations. Android smartphone users can download this app and enjoy its services. Upon registration, the features are- Balance (Send, Pay, Add, To Bank), Top-Up, Family Pay, Loyalty, Request Money, Vehicle Security, Food, Vehicle Solution, Movie Ticket, On Demand, Insurance, Health, Books.

This app provides a lot of innovative services other than the conventional services that are provided by other mobile banking apps. Cash in, Cash out, fund transfer from both account and cards, utility bill payment, top-up or mobile recharge, loan instalments, merchant payments, insurance premiums, pay roll are some of its services. Taxes, fees and government duties can be paid through this app. Payments from government like- subsidies, freedom fighter allowances, social welfare payments can be availed through this app.

Ticket service, vehicle security, food, health, movie tickets are some of its unique features. There are some added terms and conditions for following through Shariah Compliant Services.
When it comes to digital banking, Bangladesh is no where near India. Yet we have ATM's too. That's how convenience works.

This is just UPI. We have other digital banking methods too like Wallets, Net Banking, Credit and debit card transactions etc.

"The Unified Payments Interface (UPI) is closing in on the $1 trillion mark. It has already surged 86% year-to-date to $844 billion (â‚ą63.32 lakh crore) as of end November against $452 billion (â‚ą33.88 lakh crore) seen in CY20."

I don't have to care if you live in a country like Canada. the issue is you are void of any practical knowledge. I don't know what you do for a living but you have not been exposed to modern facilities a Western country has produced.

You remain a village boy living somewhere but sleeping in your old BD village home without keen eyes to see around and without the impulse of learning. You are just a vegetable.

No wonder, with people like you BD will keep on remaining a 6th rated poor and knowledgeless society. Your type is good for Facebook discussions.

Please, do not play catch ball with me here. I am a busy man and I just don't give a dam what a fool like you think about me. Better learn about ATM.

Yes you are a "busy" man ranting on an online forum on a Monday morning in Japan. Cool.

Back
Top Bottom