What's new

Bangladesh fish export ban hits Tripura

CaPtAiN_pLaNeT

Reaction score
Bangladesh fish export ban hits Tripura

Bangladesh fish export ban hits Tripura - The Times of India

TNN | Aug 3, 2012, 11.56AM IST

AGARTALA: The suspension of fish export by neighboring Bangladesh owing to Ramzan for the past two days has dealt a serious blow to the fish market in Tripura, pushing up prices in the retail market to almost double.

According to customs officials, the Bangladesh government has slapped a ban on the export of all kinds of white fish, including hilsa and excluding prawns, until August 20, to keep prices of the protein-rich food within reach in their own country during Ramzan.

Tripura imports an average of 30 MT fish from Bangladesh every day that caters the demand of the domestic market here along with state's own production of about 48 MT of fish per day.

Criticizing the stand of the Bangladesh Frozen Foods Exporters Association (BFFEA), the Tripura Fish Merchants' Association (FMA) claimed that such a long ban on the export of an essential food item like fish would hamper import-export between the northeastern states and Bangladesh.

=================================================================================================

Forget hilsa, it's mackerel jhol

Forget hilsa, it's mackerel jhol - Times Of India

Swati Sengupta, TNN Aug 2, 2012, 04.25AM IST

KOLKATA: Hilsa and chingri that popularly define the culinary and cultural divide between natives of Bangladesh (Bangal) and West Bengal (Ghoti) may trigger a diplomatic face-off, with the Bangladesh government imposing a ban on export of hilsa.

Though the ban is on all marine products except prawn, it is hilsa that is causing the heartburn as fish lovers in Kolkata and the rest of Bengal have been banking on Padmar ilish this year following an extremely poor catch in the state.

Chief minister Mamata Banerjee is also known to be partial to her shorshe-bata ilish and had lobbied the Prime Minister last year for more hilsa import.

Two Bangladeshi MPs had recently remarked on the need for greater exchange of people, culture and hilsa dishes during a hilsa conference in the city. Md Mokbul Hossain and Zafar Iqbal Siddique, members of a parliamentary standing committee in Bangladesh, had even suggested more hilsa export to Bengal.

However, the Sheikh Hasina government did a U-turn on Tuesday and issued a notification banning trans-border trade of all fish varieties. Though shrimp trade will be allowed, it is unlikely to be imported as Bengal has a bumper shrimp harvest this year.

According to the notification, the ban on fish export will be in effect during Ramzan. "The idea is that people in Bangladesh should be able to have more fish, especially hilsa, during this period of fasting," said Md Endad Hussain, vice-president of Export-Import Association, Bangladesh.

A Bangladeshi government official said the price of hilsa weighing over 1kg that sold in the retail market for 500-600 Bangladeshi taka (Rs 350-400) per kg last Ramzan had shot up to 1,600-1,700 taka (Rs 1,120-1,170) this year, necessitating the ban.

Dhaka-based Shahad Mahabub Chowdhury, dialogue coordinator of Ecosystems for Life, a Bangladesh-India initiative that hosted the conference on hilsa, while admitting that prices had pushed hilsa beyond the reach of average Bangladeshis, felt it was ill-timed as prices were dropping following a sharp rise in catch in the past four days.

"For a while, Hilsa catch was down 50% against last year. But it has improved significantly since Saturday after abundant rains. The price has already started declining and should touch 1,000 taka a kg soon. I believe the ban is temporary and will be lifted after Eid," said Chowdhury.

The notification, issued by Md Jehsan Islam, deputy secretary in the Bangladesh commerce ministry, gives no such assurance. "The ban will be in force until further orders," it states.

The last supply of hilsa from Bangladesh - 60 tonnes that reached on Tuesday - may be exhausted by Thursday. Fish exporters in Bangladesh, too, are in a quandary. Hussain said nearly 90 tonnes of hilsa that was ready for export to Bengal has to be diverted to local market now and sold at a cheaper price.

Syed Anwar Maqsood, secretary of Fish Importers' Association in Kolkata, said a consignment of 80-90 tonnes of hilsa was due to arrive from Bangladesh on Wednesday but was held up following the sudden notification.

Last year, export of hilsa had eased out after Mamata Banerjee urged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to lobby for more liberal hilsa exports to Bengal during his Dhaka visit. Though the chief minister has not reacted to the ban yet, sources said she would take up the matter after Eid if curbs persist.

Hilsa catch in Bengal has nosedived from 60,000 tonnes in 2010-11 to 18,000 tonnes in 2011-12. This year, the catch has dropped further and may not even reach 8,000 tonnes, say sources. Bangladesh, on the other hand, recorded a catch of 2.6 million tonnes last fiscal and is expected to net 3 million tonnes this fiscal.

In Kolkata, hilsa sells for Rs 1,000-1,200 per kg (for fish weighing more than a kilo). It is expected to get more expensive because of the ban, driving hilsa out of the menu in most households. But fisheries minister Abu Hena didn't seem too perturbed. He had 'heard' about the ban but wasn't sure why it had been imposed.
Ads by Google

Paschimbanga traders threaten to halt fish export to B’desh

UNBconnect... - Paschimbanga traders threaten to halt fish export to B

Reported by: UNBconnect
Reported on: August 03, 2012 16:40 PM
Reported in: National

Benapole, Aug 3 (UNB) – President of Paschimbanga Fish Importers Association Atul Das has threatened to halt export of all kinds of fish from Paschimbanga if the recently imposed ban on hilsha export to his state from Bangladesh is not withdrawn immediately.

Talking to a group of Bangladeshi journalists at `no man’s land’ on the Benapole border on Thursday afternoon, he said the recent ban on export of delicious hilsha fish from Bangladesh has left a negative impact in Paschimbanga and other Indian states.

Das said they will halt export of Indian fishes such as rui, katla and other species to Bangladesh from Paschimbanga (West Bengal) if the ban on hilsha export is not withdrawn immediately.

When informed the ban is temporary and imposed to contain the soaring fish prices in Bangladesh during the holy month of Ramadan, the Paschimbanga Fish Importers Association leader said they will wait till Eid-ul-Fitr before taking a decision in the matter.

Joint Commissioner of Benapole Customs Akbar Hossain said the government stopped export of all kinds of fish to India until further orders in the wake of request by businessmen to increase the supply of fish and contain its prices during the Ramadan.

Following an official announcement, export of all kinds of fish, including hilsha, came to a halt through the Benapole border on Wednesday.

Bangladesh’s hilsha of the Padma River has great demand in Paschimbanga (West Bengal). Other species of fish such as gazar and pangash have also demand in Delhi, Haryana and Kolkata.
Bookmark with

So basically Bangladesh export us luxurious food items at the same time import basic food items from India.

So basically Bangladesh export us luxurious food items at the same time import basic food items from India.
For them hilsa is not luxury, its like idli vada for them. :)
BTW I prefer rohu to hilsa, because rohu is much easier to eat.

Never tasted a Hilsa.

How is it ? I know its difficult to describe taste but I am sure some bangla friends could help to describe how its ' different".

When there is a shortage country slaps on export ban, no different to India banning export of rice to Bangladesh even in the face of agreed contract.

The reduction on hilsha is a direct result of reduced flow of the rivers and increased salinity. This is primarily caused by India damming the rivers as well as increased irrigation in India and Bangladesh.

I am afraid I see hilsha output declining unless something is done about it.

When there is a shortage country slaps on export ban, no different to India banning export of rice to Bangladesh even in the face of agreed contract.

The reduction on hilsha is a direct result of reduced flow of the rivers and increased salinity. This is primarily caused by India damming the rivers as well as increased irrigation in India and Bangladesh.

Come on, this is our opportunity to troll..:chilli:
Bangladeshis want to starve India....

Never tasted a Hilsa.

How is it ? I know its difficult to describe taste but I am sure some bangla friends could help to describe how its ' different".
Its like rohu but more bones.

Never tasted a Hilsa.

Its kinda aromatic fish like salmon. Also less fiber in the meat.

Hilsa is primarily a sea fish.

Hilsha ia a nonesense fish. It's overprice and over hype. This damn fish is full of small bone. It almost choke me death once. Hell with Hilsah. You guys can have it for free.

Hilsha ia a nonesense fish. It's overprice and over hype. This damn fish is full of small bone. It almost choke me death once. Hell with Hilsah. You guys can have it for free.
I am so careful while eating hilsa, it takes nearly half an hour to eat, and in the end I am exhausted. :)
Rohu is the best fish for me, most bangladeshi shop here stock big rohus.
Joy bangla. :)

Yeah, they lay eggs in river and the young fish swims back to sea. I think it is difficult to farm hilsa which is why it is expensive.

Hilsha spawns in rivers. They live in the sea but returns to freshwaters to spawn. Fishing of hilsha takes place in rivers not the sea.

Reduced rivers and increased salinity impacts their ability to spawn and dams prevent them access to their spawing grounds.

The environmental degradation of rivers and human intervention is impacting hilsha yield.

A fully mature hilsha is easy to eat. Small hilsha also known as jatka is not nice to eat. They should not be caught. Young hilsha also migrates to fresh waters annually. Fisherman traditionally will let them go but increased price means they are caught. That's bad for long term hilsha yeild.

Bangladesh coast guards regularly cuts the nets of fisherman who catches jatka and fines them.

Back
Top Bottom