What's new

Bangladesh Economic & Infrastructure Development - Updates & Discussions

Gulistan road looks much better now with beautiful median, new sidewalk, new carpeting and road marking, less congestion and chaos. Gulistan was legendary for it's dusty road, congestion and chaos not long ago.

Dhaka Rangpur Expressway (via Elenga and Hatikamrul) 6-lane expansion update

New Jamuna Railway Bridge construction update

Dhaka Shahjalal Int'l Airport 3rd terminal construction update (English)

Dhaka Shahjalal Int'l Airport 3rd terminal construction update (English)

As far as I know this third terminal is costing tax payers almost $3 billion. With this kind of money we could have built a whole new airport. I think big time corruption has occurred in the project. What is your opinion on this?

As far as I know this third terminal is costing tax payers almost $3 billion. With this kind of money we could have built a whole new airport. I think big time corruption has occurred in the project. What is your opinion on this?

Well this is a G2G project with large scale JICA investment dollars and participation by world class contractors like Fujita, Samsung etc.

I doubt there is much scope for any greasing of palms except maybe, outside Bangladesh in the loan origination country.

The cost is rather high because of participation by Japanese contractors (their contracting charges are high as in Japan itself) but of course, design and quality of work is quite high as well.

Interestingly, the number of local subcontractors is not small and these companies (Abdul Monem, Maxx et al) are getting valuable exposure in a major world class project in Dhaka itself. These local contractors are not capable to pull off something large like this in the quality category. At some point these local firms can use that experience to build smaller airports which they are already pulling off. CXB and CTG are examples.

In essence, this is a Japanese airport built outside Japan. And a 21st century one at that.

With their people (Japanese company) maintaining it after they build, operation is expected to be superior as well.

Did we need this with Shahjalal's history of sordid mgmt. and incompetent operations? I'd say it will be a welcome change.

With this airport my hope is that we can compete in efficiency with the Changis and Suvarnabhumis of the world to an extent, though at a smaller scale.

If it costs a few shekels more, what the heck....

There are distinct "Key Benchmarks for Organizational Performance " for all airports, and they are measured all the time. Shahjalal used to measure dead-last in almost all of them, that is not acceptable anymore.
Take a look - you'll understand, https://airportscouncil.org/wp-cont...HAPTER-8-AIRPORT-PERFORMANCE-BENCHMARKING.pdf

Dhaka Airport rates a miserable two stars in SKYTRAX rating. I think some bus stations in Dhaka would rate better. Pathetic

You cannot run an int'l airport with low class people - chhota logo ka chhota soch mei kam nahi hoga. Incompetent uneducated local people running our airports today who got hired by nepotism and having no ability even to "learn on the job" because they are basically gadhas.

The time for running an airport (which is the primary int'l airport of the country and major logistics infrastructure) cannot be left in the hands of idiot amateurs with limited experience in it.

@bluesky bhai your opinion if you feel like it....

Last edited:
Look like it, terminal 3 Soekarno Hatta Airport (Jakarta Airport) development cost is much much less than that at 600 million USD. It is completed in 2016.

Gulistan road looks much better now with beautiful median, new sidewalk, new carpeting and road marking, less congestion and chaos. Gulistan was legendary for it's dusty road, congestion and chaos not long ago.

I wanted to say that the number one problem with Dhaka Roads (as shown in this video) is the undisciplined hazard of slow moving rickshaws whose drivers have zero knowledge of traffic rules and even less propensity to obey them. One cannot allow uneducated drivers (unlicensed of course) to use roads in a modern metropolis.

It has been fifty years and enough is enough, these people need to go. At this point they are just a political pawn by the major parties.

Look like it, terminal 3 Soekarno Hatta Airport (Jakarta Airport) development cost is much much less than that at 600 million USD. It is completed in 2016.

CGK 3rd terminal was built with lot less money and is quite a bit larger. But contractor was local Indonesian, which is why cost was lot less. Maybe next airport in Bangladesh should be built with Indonesian contractor Kawahapejaya Indonesia KSO - I don't know if they are a big outfit in Indonesia. :-)

More details for you below.

Dhaka 3rd terminal (int'l operations only) will have"
  • A floor area of roughly 226,000 m2 (2,430,000 sq ft);
  • a 5,900 m2 (64,000 sq ft) square VVIP complex;
  • a 41,200 m2 (443,000 sq ft) cargo building;
  • a multi-level car park building with a tunnel.
  • passenger handling capacity of the airport will increase to 20 million from current 8 million per annum (12 Million per annum addition).
  • Cargo handling capacity will also increase to 500,000 from 200,000 tonnes annually (300,000 tonnes per annum addition).[39][40]
  • 3rd terminal will have 26 boarding bridges (12 in first phase soft launch) and 12 conveyor belts.
  • 3rd terminal will have 115 check-in counters and 59 immigration desks.
One should note that inflation is also a culprit. The 3rd terminal in Dhaka is costing Taka 21,300 crore (about US$2 Billion) not US$3 Billion.

Last edited:
I wanted to say that the number one problem with Dhaka Roads (as shown in this video) is the undisciplined hazard of slow moving rickshaws whose drivers have zero knowledge of traffic rules and even less propensity to obey them. One cannot allow uneducated drivers (unlicensed of course) to use roads in a modern metropolis.

It has been fifty years and enough is enough, these people need to go. At this point they are just a political pawn by the major parties.
Even if Bangladesh surpass Singapore in development and per capita income, but retain million of pedal rickshaw in it's road, no one will consider it even a third world country but a medieval, pre modern country.

Even the poorest country in the World, Burundi capital Bujumbura looks 100 times better than so called digital Bangladesh, vision 2041 shit. Burundi has per capita income one-tenth of Bangladesh, Burundi's entire nominal GDP is just 3.2 billion Dollar, less than 1/100th of Bangladesh. Yet they are civilized and self-dignified enough to make their cities clean and orderly.

Do you find any non-motorized vehicle in Bujumbura city? Or trash and garbage littering everywhere like Dhaka city? Aren't this poorest black Sub-Saharan African nation a lot more civilized and self-dignified than us? If Burundi is like this, then how are relatively better African nations? I have seen enough videos of Ghana, Kenya, Tanzania, Angola, Ivory Coast, Senegal, Rwanda to conclude that black Africans are infinitely more civilized, hygienic, orderly, self- dignified than us. These African nations have per capita GDP comparable or lower than Bangladesh.

We are a dump in the world, will remain so in the future no matter how big our per capita income rises due to our filthy and medieval mentality.

Last edited:
CGK 3rd terminal was built with lot less money and is quite a bit larger. More details for you below.

Dhaka 3rd terminal (int'l operations only) will have"
  • A floor area of roughly 226,000 m2 (2,430,000 sq ft);
  • a 5,900 m2 (64,000 sq ft) square VVIP complex;
  • a 41,200 m2 (443,000 sq ft) cargo building;
  • a multi-level car park building with a tunnel.
  • passenger handling capacity of the airport will increase to 20 million from current 8 million per annum (12 Million per annum addition).
  • Cargo handling capacity will also increase to 500,000 from 200,000 tonnes annually (300,000 tonnes per annum addition).[39][40]
  • 3rd terminal will have 26 boarding bridges (12 in first phase sof launch) and 12 conveyor belts.
  • 3rd terminal will have 115 check-in counters and 59 immigration desks.

But maybe you are right, it did cost more. One should note that inflation is also a culprit. The 3rd terminal in Dhaka is costing Taka 21,300 crore (about US$2 Billion) not US$3 Billion.

I dont know the detail, but Soekarno Hatta Terminal 3 floor areas is at around 440, 000 m2 which is double in size than BD new terminal. You can check on Wiki for the detail.

The airport is not located in Jakarta by the way, but in Banten province which is bordering Jakarta.

The real Jakarta Air port is Air Force base located in East Jakarta, it mostly serves for defence purposes and VVIP guess.

Last edited:
I dont know the detail, but Soekarno Hatta Terminal 3 floor areas is at around 440, 000 m2 which is double in size than BD new terminal. You can check on Wiki for the detail.

The airport is not located in Jakarta by the way, but in Banten province which is bordering Jakarta.

The real Jakarta Air port is Air Force base located in East Jakarta, it mostly serves for defence purposes and VVIP guess.
$600 million before 2016 now translate at least $1 billion. And this cost may be just for terminal building. But in case of Shahjalal's 3rd terminal, a lot of other things also included,

There will also be a new car parking facility for 1,230 vehicles, a new 63,000 square metre import and export cargo complex, a 542,000 square metre apron for 37 aircrafts, among others, according to civil aviation ministry officials.

connecting elevated roads, landscaping in front of the terminal building etc also included in this cost. Most important factor, The Japanese are building it mostly with their money. So you can imagine. So, $2.5 billion tag should not surprise us.

$600 million before 2016 now translate at least $1 billion. And this cost may be just for terminal building. But in case of Shahjalal's 3rd terminal, a lot of other things also included,

There will also be a new car parking facility for 1,230 vehicles, a new 63,000 square metre import and export cargo complex, a 542,000 square metre apron for 37 aircrafts, among others, according to civil aviation ministry officials.

connecting elevated roads, landscaping in front of the terminal building etc also included in this cost. Most important factor, The Japanese are building it mostly with their money. So you can imagine. So, $2.5 billion tag should not surprise us.
No lah, Terminal 3 cost includes any thing like new run way, car parking, logistic handling, etc.

The cost could include train system as well between terminals that is built during terminal 3 development.

Soekarno Hatta Airport has three terminals and three runway. It is already one of the biggest airports in Asia. It serves more passengers than Changi Air port in Singapore. Slightly serving larger passengers annually with around 100.000 larger than Changi Airport.

I check again, the terminal 3 inaguration by President is in 2020, so not too long from now. It maybe has been operated before that, as far as I know before 2020 it only handle certain Airlines, mostly SOE Airlines, but now all Airlines use the terminal as well.

Last edited:
No lah, Terminal 3 cost includes any thing like new run way, car parking, logistic handling, etc.

The cost could include train system as well between terminals that is built during terminal 3 development.

Soekarno Hatta Airport has three terminals and three runway. It is already one of the biggest airports in Asia.

I check again, the terminal 3 inaguration by President is in 2020, so not too long from now. It maybe has been operated before that, as far as I know before 2020 it only handle certain Airlines, mostly SOE Airlines, but now all Airlines use the terminal as well.
Then corruption and Japanese money and contractor should be the reason why it costs so much in case of Dhaka's airport.

A different question for you unrelated to this, why horror movies are such a big phenomenon in Indonesia?

Most of the highest grossing Indonesian movies are horror, including 1st and 3rd highest. I like horror movies and have seen some Indonesian horrors and impressed by those such as Satan's slave, Impetigore, KKN di desa penari etc.

Then corruption and Japanese money and contractor should be the reason why it costs so much in case of Dhaka's airport.

A different question for you unrelated to this, why horror movies are such a big phenomenon in Indonesia?

Most of the highest grossing Indonesian movies are horror, including 1st and 3rd highest. I like horror movies and have seen some Indonesian horrors and impressed by those such as Satan's slave, Impetigore, KKN di desa penari etc.

Well I think one reason is because the combination of religious belief where we believe with Jin, much freedom of expression than most Muslim nation, democracy, big population as market, growing economy, and growing film industry.

We have many Ghost stories as well here and have many Ghost names LOL

Not surprising we also can produce Magician like Rianna

89 millions viewers

New Horror movies coming out

It is likely be released in either Netflix or Disney around 7 months from now

Well I think one reason is because the combination of religious belief where we believe with Jin, much freedom of expression than most Muslim nation, democracy, big population as market, growing economy, and growing film industry.

We have many Ghost stories as well here and have many Ghost names LOL

Not surprising we also can produce Magician like Rianna

89 millions viewers

New Horror movies coming out

It is likely be released in either Netflix or Disney around 7 months from now

Another factor may be the landscape of Java and it's rich folklore provide so much materials for making horror movies. I have noticed most of the horror movies have haunting village setting and a lot of cultural reference unique to Javanese culture and tradition. Not a copy cat of Western theme horror genre.

Back
Top Bottom