What's new

Bangladesh could be another lost customer of MiG and Sukhoi

Black_cats

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score

Bangladesh could be another lost customer of MiG and Sukhoi​

By TOC on March 8, 2022
Subscribe to Google News

DHAKA, ($1=85.84 Bangladeshi Taka) — Russia could lose another customer in the sale of its fighter jets: we are talking about Bangladesh, a country that aims to deactivate its MiG-29 in the medium term, and the Chengdu J-7 with Chinese nationality.

The Russia's MiG-35 'downed' the French fighter Rafale from Indian market
Photo credit: Wikipedia

A report in The Military and Asian Region [MAR, quoted by AnalisiDifesa] online portal says that as part of an ambitious national program to strengthen the capabilities of its air force, Bengal’s defense aims to choose between Europe’s four-nation Eurofighter Typhoon and France’s Dassault Rafal.

According to the online portal, “Bangladesh wants to return to Western aircraft after decades of buying fighter jets from Russia and China” even if at the same time the Asian country has to face the difficulty of radically replacing Russian and Chinese aircraft and reject new proposals from Moscow and Beijing.

The 8 MiG-29 Fulcrum currently in service, among other things recently upgraded at the Belarusian JSC 558 ARZ in Minsk, are the pinnacle of the combat force, also composed of 37 Chengdu F-7G / BG / MB [Chinese version of the MiG-21]. The choice of a new twin-engine multi-role fighter to be ordered in 8 copies [plus 4 more as an option] has not yet been confirmed. Experts predicted the Sukhoi Su-30SME as the winner and sori announced a contract in 2017. Apparently, the contract has not been signed. Among the obstacles, the serious possibility of Bangladesh falling under US sanctions on CAATSA cannot be ruled out.

German-and-Spanish-Typhoons-get-Leonardo's-ECRS-Mk1-radar
Photo credit: Sputnik News

As Bangladesh’s air force is also much smaller than that of potential competitors in the region [India and Myanmar, for example, are equipped with Su-30 variants], the acquisition of Western aircraft may provide Bangladeshi pilots with a different operational approach. possible air confrontation.

Local experts also consider Typhoon, manufactured by Eurofighter GmbH, to be the favorite for the next purchase, although France’s Rafale has recently had recent commercial success [Croatia, India, the United Arab Emirates, Greece, and Indonesia, as well as Egypt, India, and Qatar] which in fact does not completely exclude him from the possibility of being elected.

In this regard, the Bangladesh Air Force [BAF] has asked the government to allocate approximately $ 3 billion for the purchase of 16 Western multi-role fighters with an advance of approximately $ 750 million for the financial year 2021-2022. This will allow BAF to receive a full package of new aircraft, armaments, technical support, and staff training; last but not least, the opportunity to set up a company on-site for maintenance, repair, and overhaul of the acquired fighters.

Therefore, outside Russia, the future fighter contract for Bangladesh still compensates for the contracts won for the advanced Yak-130 training, the Mil Mi-171Sh multi-role helicopters, and the Mil Mi-28NE attack helicopters.

Sometimes, I think if a S-400 Russian missile can annihilate the fastest and strongest plane, then what is the use of buying expensive planes?

India is to soon get its S-400 missiles from Russia.

Bangladesh should go with Gripen or Typhoon. They have small airforce and their order will hardy reach 40 jets. they dont need an order in hundreds. Stick to the best quality

We dodged a bullet there

we have seen the abysmal performance of Su-30 in Russo-Ukraine war
No plane, Sukhoi or others, can fly thousands of miles from its home base. Both Russia and Ukraine are very large countries. Russia is waging only a small war with limited targets.

Russia needs to build new air force bases near or inside Ukraine to use its planes. More to it, Russia may not have decided to use its planes. We have to wait and see.

but still China and Russia are more reliable then western and no string attached

Trade won, geopolitics lost. Bangladesh would have better served its interests by buying Chinese aircraft. Western combat aircraft would be both expensive & slowly become irrelevant as Chinese leapfrog in technological advances.

We dodged a bullet there

we have seen the abysmal performance of Su-30 in Russo-Ukraine war

Not to mention the downtime and high maintenance cost of Sukhois.

Why we need twin engine fighters is beyond me. For Maritime patrolling, we should go exclusively for drones.

Western platforms are too expensive. Ideal for Bangladesh is a multi layered air defence and a couple of squadron of J-10 or even JF 17, but the latter won't happen because of Anti-Pakistan elements in Govt.

Trade won, geopolitics lost. Bangladesh would have better served its interests by buying Chinese aircraft. Western combat aircraft would be both expensive & slowly become irrelevant as Chinese leapfrog in technological advances.

Half right.

Due to Chinese support of Myanmar and to not be reliant solely on China, BAF should be buying both Chinese and Western fighters.

No idea why BD has not already placed an order for a squadron of J-10CE fighters to start building a force for India. This can be balanced with a squadron of say Typhoons to take care of Myanmar.

Half right.

Due to Chinese support of Myanmar and to not be reliant solely on China, BAF should be buying both Chinese and Western fighters.

No idea why BD has not already placed an order for a squadron of J-10CE fighters to start building a force for India. This can be balanced with a squadron of say Typhoons to take care of Myanmar.
Americans would not sell you anything offensive keeping in view their strategic relations with India.

Americans would not sell you anything offensive keeping in view their strategic relations with India.

True, which is why those calling for buying US fighters did not understand geopolitics.

I still would not trust the Europeans against India though.

J-10CE is good enough to even fight Rafale and so an excellent choice for BAF.

True, which is why those calling for buying US fighters did not understand geopolitics.

I still would not trust the Europeans against India though.

J-10CE is good enough to even fight Rafale and so an excellent choice for BAF.
true..
We won't see anything before the election. And you can not trust the EU or US. I think bd will buy either from Russia or china. But we will know for sure after the election; I think another 2/3 years.
I think bd is more interested in providing residential and welfare facilities than buying the latest weapons, manufacturing plants, etc.
Sometimes, I think it is better to dismantle the army, navy, airforce, save some money, and invest somewhere else. Just keep BGB, coastguard, RAB, police.
By the way, guys, don't freak out. I am just expressing my feelings.

true..
We won't see anything before the election. And you can not trust the EU or US. I think bd will buy either from Russia or china. But we will know for sure after the election; I think another 2/3 years.
I think bd is more interested in providing residential and welfare facilities than buying the latest weapons, manufacturing plants, etc.
Sometimes, I think it is better to dismantle the army, navy, airforce, save some money, and invest somewhere else. Just keep BGB, coastguard, RAB, police.
By the way, guys, don't freak out. I am just expressing my feelings.

No offence but that is what people said before the last election. A fighter contract could be announced today, next year or in x number of years.

No one has ANY idea what the government of BD is thinking about leaving the skies of BD defenceless for so long.

Back
Top Bottom