What's new

Australian Open: Aisam, Rojer march into 3rd round

Dance

Reaction score
MELBOURNE:
Aisamul Haq Qureshi and his Dutch partner Jean-Julien Rojer moved into the third round of the men’s doubles event at the Australian Open, while Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray had time for jokes and smiles as they breezed into the men’s singles fourth round.
Despite being given a tough time by their unseeded opponents – Canada’s Adeel Shamsuddin and Germany’s Philip Mars – in the first set, Aisam and Rojer recovered well to register a 7-6, 6-4 win.
The eighth-seeded pair will now meet America’s Eric Butorac and Brazil’s Bruno Soares, who are ranked 10th.
Djokovic, Murray entertain at Open
Meanwhile, world number one Djokovic destroyed injury-hit Nicolas Mahut 6-0, 6-1, 6-1, but he did his best to cheer up the Frenchman on his 30th birthday as he played to the crowd.
“Credit to Nicolas,” said Djokovic. “He had some strapping around his knee and I felt sorry for him. Evidently he wasn’t moving well, he wasn’t able to perform his best, but he didn’t want to retire and wanted to stay all the way. I wish him happy birthday.”
Later, Murray won an entertaining match with Michael Llodra 6-4, 6-2, 6-0, which included many crowd-pleasing rallies and volleys.
“Coach Ivan Lendl would’ve preferred more bread and butter points, serve and forehand finishes, but that was my style tonight and I hope everyone enjoyed it,” said Murray.
Tsonga marches on
Meanwhile, France’s Jo-Wilfried Tsonga said not having a coach had done him no harm after taking just 90 minutes to power into the fourth round, blasting Portuguese Frederico Gil 6-2, 6-2, 6-2.
After putting Gil to the sword, Tsonga saw no pressing need to recruit a coach. “It’s not the first tournament I’ve played without a coach, so I feel good,” he said.
Meanwhile, Kei Nishikori became the first Japanese man to reach the Australian Open fourth-round when he beat France’s Julien Benneteau 4-6, 7-6, 7-6, 6-3.
Williams says Americans set to rise again
Serena Williams said she was unconcerned at being the last American standing at the event. Williams, who beat Hungary’s Greta Arn 6-1, 6-1, said players like John Isner and Sloane Stephens showed that the US had a bright future.
“I think Stephens played really well,” said Williams, referring to the 18-year-old’s loss to Svetlana Kuznetsova. “I think she just played tough players. Isner played well in some marathon matches, so that was tough. I think we’re all doing pretty well.”
Petra Kvitova won 6-0, 1-0 against Maria Kirilenko, who retired due to injury. Maria Sharapova beat Angelique Kerber 6-1, 6-2. China’s Zheng Jie shocked ninth-seed Marion Bartoli 6-3, 6-3, while Vera Zvonareva departed in tears after she was shocked by 56th-ranked Ekaterina Makarova 7-6, 6-1.
Andy Murray
“There were a lot of fun rallies, especially towards the end of the second set and beginning of the third set. Every point seemed to be a fun point. He was coming up with some unbelievable gets on the volleys.”
Kim Clijsters
“When you’re older you’re capable of setting your mind to what it’s like to play a match again after a layoff. Even after two years off, I know what my game is and I don’t need to play a lot to find that again.”
Petra Kvitova
“Sometimes a time-out can be very tough because when you are playing really well and you have a little time off, even if it’s just for five minutes, it can be very tough to get back and play as before.”
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
“It’s not the first tournament I’ve played without a coach. You can also improve your game by yourself. I’m here because I had a coach, but now I feel I’ve to follow my opinion. If I still improve my game why do I need a coach?”

Australian Open: Aisam, Rojer march into 3rd round – The Express Tribune

Back
Top Bottom